ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
steeze_rat_42

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by steeze_rat_42 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:21 pm Congrats to Lynchburg and W&L on entering the Elite 8!
Any old timers here who can tell us when was the last time 2 ODAC teams made the Elite 8. Trying to imagine a scenario where one of these two teams could win this weekend. Taking a hard look at this, W&L has the easier path. I just don’t see anybody taking down Tufts, so I’m going Generals but it’s a long long putt. Salisbury is good but not vintage, this isn’t one of those great Gull teams that wasn’t going to be beat. If the Generals had a goalie that was capable of standing on his head and their fogo went 60% at the dot I’d say there was a punchers chance. Best hope is Salisbury is already practicing and thinking about Tufts come out flat and Generals jump out early. 50% save rate won’t do it, they’ll take 45 plus shots
Did you not look at the Salisbury vs. Amherst game? Amherst out shot Salisbury 64-27 won 22-27 faceoffs and went 0-5 on EMO opportunities. Amherst is a very good team who in all honesty could have won the game easily. This isn't a long shot game for the Generals. It will be their biggest test to date and any Berkman led squad will come out crisp. Don't understand how you are coming up with those numbers or analyzing the potential matchup, unless you're talking out of you a**.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

steeze_rat_42 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:45 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:21 pm Congrats to Lynchburg and W&L on entering the Elite 8!
Any old timers here who can tell us when was the last time 2 ODAC teams made the Elite 8. Trying to imagine a scenario where one of these two teams could win this weekend. Taking a hard look at this, W&L has the easier path. I just don’t see anybody taking down Tufts, so I’m going Generals but it’s a long long putt. Salisbury is good but not vintage, this isn’t one of those great Gull teams that wasn’t going to be beat. If the Generals had a goalie that was capable of standing on his head and their fogo went 60% at the dot I’d say there was a punchers chance. Best hope is Salisbury is already practicing and thinking about Tufts come out flat and Generals jump out early. 50% save rate won’t do it, they’ll take 45 plus shots
Did you not look at the Salisbury vs. Amherst game? Amherst out shot Salisbury 64-27 won 22-27 faceoffs and went 0-5 on EMO opportunities. Amherst is a very good team who in all honesty could have won the game easily. This isn't a long shot game for the Generals. It will be their biggest test to date and any Berkman led squad will come out crisp. Don't understand how you are coming up with those numbers or analyzing the potential matchup, unless you're talking out of you a**.
Huh? That game was a blowout for 3.5 qtrs...
steeze_rat_42

Post by steeze_rat_42 »

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

#9 James Haley:

Stout Freshman attacker out of Westfield NJ. Went to public school but plays with a private school level of lacrosse IQ. Is able to push transition with a nice outside shot and loose defenders behind the cage with hip movement. Could be an X factor for the Generals moving forward.

#35 Tilt Fernandes

In addition to being a lock for all name team each year, the sophomore midfielder from Dallas is very athletic. From what I have heard he is the most optimistic player on the team and a real locker room juice guy. He has all the tools to make a splash down the stretch, hopefully he gets his opportunity.

#20 Hillis Burns

This player needs no introduction and if you have been watching the Generals this season you've definitely noticed him. He is a big-time player that makes big time play in big time moments. His key to success against Salisbury is dependent on keeping his frustration penalties to a minimum
steeze_rat_42

Post by steeze_rat_42 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:54 pm
Amherst didn't capitalize on their opportunities. If things we're swinging their way more the game would have been very different. They still won more faceoffs, took more shots, and had more groundballs in every quarter. Linkins had a horrible day in the net. I'm just saying the odds for this game are not a long shot, although Salisbury is the favorite.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I truly hope W&L wins and am trying my best to envision the scenario in which they pull this off. Salisbury is 20-1 and beat CNU 2x 16-8 and 9-4. They are just ok at the dot and goal play is just ok. CNU handled W&L pretty easily if you watched that game. I’d also take a look at how the Generals escaped being taken out by Grove City this weekend. Saying they were fortunate is being kind. Just like 2013 the last time the Generals faced Salisbury 2x and split games with them, it will take a near perfect game and maybe a little luck.Keep it close into the 4th qtr and steal one. It’s a great year when you can say you are a game away from a final 4. If the Generals pull this off it will be their biggest win since they went D3
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

steeze_rat_42 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:01 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:54 pm
Amherst didn't capitalize on their opportunities. If things we're swinging their way more the game would have been very different. They still won more faceoffs, took more shots, and had more groundballs in every quarter. Linkins had a horrible day in the net. I'm just saying the odds for this game are not a long shot, although Salisbury is the favorite.
They took 64 shots, only 21 on cage, Salisbury 27 shots, 18 on cage. Salisbury didn't have to shoot to beat them, they coasted. W&L barely beat a BAD Grove City team. Salisbury by 10.
Dwn2DaRvr2Pray

Post by Dwn2DaRvr2Pray »

W&L has made it back to the Elite 8. I’ve been watching hours of film from the Generals’ nail-biting matchups with perennial powerhouses Randolph and Guilford and and from what I can see, W&L might be able to pull off the upset. Here are my keys to the game:

Leave #51 in Lexington and let #57 and #32 take the reigns.

Tap into #23’s size and athleticism and run him out of the box with the 1st midfield.

I liked #9 getting reps at attack this past weekend. Him and Pokorny (the Kobe Bryant of Generals Lacrosse) have great chemistry.

#48 is a great player but get him on the Lean Cuisines this week, needs a more explosive first step.

Fingers crossed for a Gennies upset
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Not sure we can say Grove City is a BAD TEAM. They, like W&L, have improved as the year progressed. Their offense in particular was quick and sudden with screened shots that Seeds didn’t see.

In addition, they beat Swarthmore who beat Gettysburg twice. I think that a lesser team than W&L might have folded under the “nothing to loose” onslaught put on by a determined GCC, who wanted to make a name for themselves by taking down two ranked teams in succession.

Now, hopefully, it is W&L’s turn to make a statement by punching through the imaginary wall that divides the great programs from those that consistently excel. Regardless of the outcome, W&L looks to have made a great leap forward this year, one that could entice even more premiere prospects to choose Lexington over others.

Go Generals!
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:14 pm Not sure we can say Grove City is a BAD TEAM. They, like W&L, have improved as the year progressed. Their offense in particular was quick and sudden with screened shots that Seeds didn’t see.

In addition, they beat Swarthmore who beat Gettysburg twice. I think that a lesser team than W&L might have folded under the “nothing to loose” onslaught put on by a determined GCC, who wanted to make a name for themselves by taking down two ranked teams in succession.

Now, hopefully, it is W&L’s turn to make a statement by punching through the imaginary wall that divides the great programs from those that consistently excel. Regardless of the outcome, W&L looks to have made a great leap forward this year, one that could entice even more premiere prospects to choose Lexington over others.

Go Generals!
Grove City was very much improved team and it showed. The Generals play on Sunday was not the greatest so the improved GC play coupled with Generals sub par play, made the game interesting but the Gennies came thru in the 4th and clamped down defensively and Hillis showed up. I will say, the refs at the game may have been the worst I have ever seen in person. They have no clue what I moving screen is cause they missed about 15 calls on GC. Gennies learned their lesson at the beginning of the year on moving screens, as they were called for so many but these refs just had no clue. Yelling at the GC coach for whatever reason, etc. BUT, a win is a win, on to the next one.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&L has an “ in case of emergency break glass “ with Hillis Burns. I think there could be a moment in the game where he may be asked to take over. Good shooter and an ability to go hard to the cage. Hoping the Generals play well and give it their best shot !
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

USILA AA list came out

W&L: 6 - Hubbard & Pokorny (2nd); Burns, Cohen, Lackey & Bou (HM)

Lynchburg: 7 - Mitchell, Darminio (1st); Rust (3rd), Nestor, Zingo, Marindin, & Hadley (HM)

HSC: 4 - Morgan (1st), Perry, Weis, & O'Brien (HM)

Roanoke: 4 - L. Kammerman (1st), Whitlow, J. Kammerman, & Hammond (HM)

RMC: 1 - Jack Smith (HM)

Congrats to the players & their families. The ODAC had 4 players on first, 2 on second, 1 on third and 15 make HM. I feel that these lists are often very difficult to make with the amount of players in D3. Cohen making it as a freshman, very difficult to do. Would love to hear some thoughts on this years list.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

J. Kammerman and Hammond were also just Freshman. Hammond was certainly deserving as he had a great year. J. Kammerman is a good player but not so sure he deserved this nod. L. Kammerman is a great player but 1st team AA is pushing it in my opinion. I think third team may have been more appropriate. A 1st team AA should be able to dominate in most every game they play even if they are being covered by top defensemen, I did not see that out of him this year.
ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:35 am J. Kammerman and Hammond were also just Freshman. Hammond was certainly deserving as he had a great year. J. Kammerman is a good player but not so sure he deserved this nod. L. Kammerman is a great player but 1st team AA is pushing it in my opinion. I think third team may have been more appropriate. A 1st team AA should be able to dominate in most every game they play even if they are being covered by top defensemen, I did not see that out of him this year.
I was unaware, impressive honor for both of them. Will be interested to see how they progress as players throughout their career. Sometimes you can see players plateau & other times they go on to be 1st AA guys.
weisdolph

Post by weisdolph »

ShenandoahLaxDad wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:29 am USILA AA list came out

W&L: 6 - Hubbard & Pokorny (2nd); Burns, Cohen, Lackey & Bou (HM)

Lynchburg: 7 - Mitchell, Darminio (1st); Rust (3rd), Nestor, Zingo, Marindin, & Hadley (HM)

HSC: 4 - Morgan (1st), Perry, Weis, & O'Brien (HM)

Roanoke: 4 - L. Kammerman (1st), Whitlow, J. Kammerman, & Hammond (HM)

RMC: 1 - Jack Smith (HM)

Congrats to the players & their families. The ODAC had 4 players on first, 2 on second, 1 on third and 15 make HM. I feel that these lists are often very difficult to make with the amount of players in D3. Cohen making it as a freshman, very difficult to do. Would love to hear some thoughts on this years list.
Weis (3rd)
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:35 am J. Kammerman and Hammond were also just Freshman. Hammond was certainly deserving as he had a great year. J. Kammerman is a good player but not so sure he deserved this nod. L. Kammerman is a great player but 1st team AA is pushing it in my opinion. I think third team may have been more appropriate. A 1st team AA should be able to dominate in most every game they play even if they are being covered by top defensemen, I did not see that out of him this year.
Wasn't Kammerman the ODAC player of the year?
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Yes he was. IMO it should have been the goalie from Lynchburg, Hadley or perhaps Darminio. Both of those guys really dominated the league.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:29 pm Yes he was. IMO it should have been the goalie from Lynchburg, Hadley or perhaps Darminio. Both of those guys really dominated the league.
Wouldn't it be silly for the player of the year in the conference to be 3rd team AA, while others from the league are 1st and 2nd team?
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Is this the first time the ODAC has had as many as 4 players on the USILA first team?
valaxfan

Congrats to Lynchburg Baseball

Post by valaxfan »

No,not lax but significant for the ODAC, Lynchburg beats Johns Hopkins for the D3 National Championship. Congrats to the Hornets.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”