Northwestern "Hard Times"

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Northwestern "Hard Times"

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:34 am
DMac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:31 am I don't think it was a good idea to bring your daughters into this, LDM. One must step with caution when maneuvering in this tiny, fragile, and overly sensitive world that is the Fanlax Wlax forum without making it personal which is what you've now done.
What do you think the odds are that every one of those Northwestern girls would say, I don't give a damn (and they probably would say damn) what those two girls think of me and my aspirations, cross them off my list of people whose opinion I give a damn about?
Teens to very early twenties girls who aren't quite clear about what they want to do with the rest of their lives (kinda like the majority of that age group). Girls who have made monster commitments and excelled at what they do which is a result of focus, determination, and sacrifice are crossed off your daughters list.....because? Mighty shallow thinking in my book. I was impressed by these young girls even if they don't quite know yet whether they want to be a second grade teacher or a Naval aviator flying jets off aircraft carriers. I'd bet they'll figure it all out and likely be good at whatever it is they chose to do. They've already learned what it takes to be winners.
While I agree at some level, I don't know. I found the responses a bit odd. At most D1 programs, especially high academic institutions that rival NU, you will find a vast majority of players very aware of the opportunities presented to them professionally. There is a lot of push and drive to attain the best possible internships in the summer during their playing careers. I don't see a lot of players at Duke, Hopkins, Princeton, etc. saying, "meh, I'll figure it out after I graduate". Speaking from my own experience, my daughter showed up at school with no idea what she wanted to do. She had a really good internship after her soph year but she didn't like it and pivoted to something else for junior year. So while the answer may not be that they 100% know what they want to do after graduation when they are fresh/soph, those responses were a bit surprising.
As a parent, I found it troubling for 2 reasons

1) Interviewing these young women and only 1 had any plan for life after college. And most if not all of them were juniors and seniors

2) This was a northwestern-produced video. Why would Northwestern want to promote that their upperclassmen really didn't have a plan for life after school
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:39 am
DMac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:31 am I don't think it was a good idea to bring your daughters into this, LDM. One must step with caution when maneuvering in this tiny, fragile, and overly sensitive world that is the Fanlax Wlax forum without making it personal which is what you've now done.
What do you think the odds are that every one of those Northwestern girls would say, I don't give a damn (and they probably would say damn) what those two girls think of me and my aspirations, cross them off my list of people whose opinion I give a damn about?
Teens to very early twenties girls who aren't quite clear about what they want to do with the rest of their lives (kinda like the majority of that age group). Girls who have made monster commitments and excelled at what they do which is a result of focus, determination, and sacrifice are crossed off your daughters list.....because? Mighty shallow thinking in my book. I was impressed by these young girls even if they don't quite know yet whether they want to be a second grade teacher or a Naval aviator flying jets off aircraft carriers. I'd bet they'll figure it all out and likely be good at whatever it is they chose to do. They've already learned what it takes to be winners.
While I agree at some level, I don't know. I found the responses a bit odd. At most D1 programs, especially high academic institutions that rival NU, you will find a vast majority of players very aware of the opportunities presented to them professionally. There is a lot of push and drive to attain the best possible internships in the summer during their playing careers. I don't see a lot of players at Duke, Hopkins, Princeton, etc. saying, "meh, I'll figure it out after I graduate". Speaking from my own experience, my daughter showed up at school with no idea what she wanted to do. She had a really good internship after her soph year but she didn't like it and pivoted to something else for junior year. So while the answer may not be that they 100% know what they want to do after graduation when they are fresh/soph, those responses were a bit surprising.

1) Interviewing these young women and only 1 had any plan for life after college. And most if not all of them were juniors and seniors

2) This was a northwestern-produced video. Why would Northwestern want to promote that their upperclassmen really didn't have a plan for life after school
So you're under the impression that a business-like response is the only thing that is expected and appropriate to that question regardless of context and circumstance?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

TBF the Athletic’s communication team doesn’t seem too worried about updating their athlete’s academic info. Most of the seniors and graduate students bio’s still say “anticipated major undecided” as if they were freshmen.

I think your daughter might be reading too much into these responses and in turn, making rather large generalizations about the program. I’d suggest she look at the actual alumni network of a prospective program and take that into consideration as well.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:52 am

TBF the Athletic’s communication team doesn’t seem too worried about updating their athlete’s academic info. Most of the seniors and graduate students bio’s still say “anticipated major undecided” as if they were freshmen.

I think your daughter might be reading too much into these responses and in turn, making rather large generalizations about the program. I’d suggest she look at the actual alumni network of a prospective program and take that into consideration as well.
Does NU limit what majors players can pursue? I believe the answer to that is yes, correct?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:58 am

Does NU limit what majors players can pursue? I believe the answer to that is yes, correct?
Honestly, I don’t know if the program outright limits certain majors or just discourages them. I can imagine majors that include lab hours or clinical hours could negatively impact playing time & player development relative to peers in other majors.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ultravisitor nailed it in the where and when these girls were being asked the questions, wasn't a serious environment, these girls were just having fun. Put them in a serious/professional environment and I'd bet you'd get very different answers (hence, my shallow thinking comment). I thought the criticism was rather uppity and snooty. Every one of these girls had enough vision to know they wanted to go to Northwestern and kept themselves in a position to be granted admission. I tip my hat to all of them for just that, let alone maintaining the focus to become National Champions. I'm not crossing any of them off my list.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:06 am
ultravisitor nailed it in the where and when these girls were being asked the questions, wasn't a serious environment, these girls were just having fun. Put them in a serious/professional environment and I'd bet you'd get very different answers (hence, my shallow thinking comment). I thought the criticism was rather uppity and snooty. Every one of these girls had enough vision to know they wanted to go to Northwestern and kept themselves in a position to be granted admission. I tip my hat to all of them for just that, let alone maintaining the focus to become National Champions. I'm not crossing any of them off my list.
Yes to the bold.

Again, I may be biased as a grad (I possess a similar bias for Hopkins, as I'm a grad of there, too)--a school the caliber of Northwestern AND a lacrosse team the caliber of Northwestern? Point to me another school that achieves both academics and lacrosse at that level. Is it really a good idea to write them off because of what they were saying about career aspirations while they were goofing off during practice?

Forget about crossing Northwestern off your list--are you sure you're good enough to be on Northwestern's list?
it's the sauce

Post by it's the sauce »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:11 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:06 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm Just watched it with my 25 and 27 daughters.

My 27 summed it up pretty well. "Great team, but those girls clearly don't give a darn (she didnt say darn) about school. Cross them off my list."
I'm intrigued by this. May I ask what your daughter saw/perceived in the documentary that she arrived at that conclusion?
The scenes in the middle where they asked 10 players what they wanted to do after college. Only one of them had a real answer (sports admin). The rest either said "be a mom" or blew off the question.
This response made me register LOL.

Now sure how serious they were being but I do have to ask; what's wrong if they just want to "be a mom"? If you asked the players what drove them to their LAX success I bet a lot would answer "my mom".
DMac

Post by DMac »

Welcome aboard.
....and the rest would say my dad (who wanted a boy).
;)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

it's the sauce wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:38 am what's wrong if they just want to "be a mom"? If you asked the players what drove them to their LAX success I bet a lot would answer "my mom".
My mother would stand up and applaud this if she was still alive.

I also see that expressed often on team social media accounts when the "Getting to know the new players" features are posted. Most common answer to the Who is your Role Model question is: My Mom.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:44 am ....and the rest would say my dad (who wanted a boy).
;)
LOL!
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:58 am

KAH makes it very clear that for northwestern players, lacrosse comes first and academics second. She wants film study not biology study. And that works on the field as evidenced by their track record of excellence.

But I’ve heard first hand from former players that she has very little patience for schoolwork. So the players responses reflect that environment. There are certainly northwestern lax grads who have crushed it in the classroom and have been aggressive in their career planning

But that’s not the environment KAH’s approach naturally fosters. Princeton and penn and jhu have different priorities. And girls that are fortunate enough to be recruited by multiple schools can choose….
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

it's the sauce wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:38 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm Just watched it with my 25 and 27 daughters.

My 27 summed it up pretty well. "Great team, but those girls clearly don't give a darn (she didnt say darn) about school. Cross them off my list."
I'm intrigued by this. May I ask what your daughter saw/perceived in the documentary that she arrived at that conclusion?
The scenes in the middle where they asked 10 players what they wanted to do after college. Only one of them had a real answer (sports admin). The rest either said "be a mom" or blew off the question.

Now sure how serious they were being but I do have to ask; what's wrong if they just want to "be a mom"? If you asked the players what drove them to their LAX success I bet a lot would answer "my mom".
Thank you for asking that--I wanted to ask the same. I know that we all think it's so important to make lots and lots of money and have powerful careers, but if a kid's aspiration is to be a mom...so? First of all, we don't even know that being "a mom" is the only thing that she wants to do. Also, I think we should all be able to understand how important it is to have a great mom. Being a great mom might be one of the most important jobs.
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:22 pm

Thank you for asking that--I wanted to ask the same. I know that we all think it's so important to make lots and lots of money and have powerful careers, but if a kid's aspiration is to be a mom...so? First of all, we don't even know that being "a mom" is the only thing that she wants to do. Also, I think we should all be able to understand how important it is to have a great mom. Being a great mom might be one of the most important jobs.
Raising and nurturing the next generation. Perhaps the most important job.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Up sick late last night and I read your comment Max. I was about to comment. “Uh oh. Way too many people are gonna have a problem with that comment.” Can’t have an opinion on something that is clearly an opinion without riling up a certain group of people here.

I wasn’t shocked. As I’ve said on posts across here, I don’t think he majority of girls playing high level high ranked lacrosse are there for the specific school. And I always get push back from it. My comment would be if UMass Lowell was ranked 2 and competing for the championship, all these high level recruits would be flocking there. The response is usually. No they wouldn’t and UMass Lowell would never be that good. Or of course they are going to the school because they love it. Once again, we, as parents are lucky because lacrosse is generally a high academic sport. Plain and simple.

Anyway. While I don’t think that snippet is an absolute indictment on whether those girls care or don’t care about school, I will still say if NU was ranked 119th, none of them would be there. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

If it was my daughter in the screen and you asked that it would be her dad. Her mom never took her to one practice. Could get away with saying that these days as well. And if you are referring to the thing you put on Pasta, it’s gravy not sauce. If you are referring to the half of bottle I drank the other night. Yes. It’s sauce.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

She probably is the biggest jokster on the team and was trying to be funny. Or maybe her boyfriend just gave a 20 million dollar donation to NU and she is gonna marry rich. Who knows.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:13 pm Can’t have an opinion on something that is clearly an opinion without riling up a certain group of people here.
That is indeed the sad/pathetic truth.

Or as my cousin would say to me in a similar context:
"Boy, you ain't Never lyin'!"
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:13 pm Up sick late last night and I read your comment Max. I was about to comment. “Uh oh. Way too many people are gonna have a problem with that comment.” Can’t have an opinion on something that is clearly an opinion without riling up a certain group of people here.

I wasn’t shocked. As I’ve said on posts across here, I don’t think he majority of girls playing high level high ranked lacrosse are there for the specific school. And I always get push back from it. My comment would be if UMass Lowell was ranked 2 and competing for the championship, all these high level recruits would be flocking there. The response is usually. No they wouldn’t and UMass Lowell would never be that good. Or of course they are going to the school because they love it. Once again, we, as parents are lucky because lacrosse is generally a high academic sport. Plain and simple.

Anyway. While I don’t think that snippet is an absolute indictment on whether those girls care or don’t care about school, I will still say if NU was ranked 119th, none of them would be there. 🤷🏻‍♂️
First off, the comments bothered my youngest daughter more than me as we watched live.

However, the more I think about it, the more I am bothered. Not because of what the girls said, but because Northwestern included this in pretty much a 90 minute infomercial about their program. Feels like that is the type of athlete they are trying to attract.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:22 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:13 pm Up sick late last night and I read your comment Max. I was about to comment. “Uh oh. Way too many people are gonna have a problem with that comment.” Can’t have an opinion on something that is clearly an opinion without riling up a certain group of people here.

First off, the comments bothered my youngest daughter more than me as we watched live.

However, the more I think about it, the more I am bothered. Not because of what the girls said, but because Northwestern included this in pretty much a 90 minute infomercial about their program. Feels like that is the type of athlete they are trying to attract.
What is that "type"? Someone who doesn't take everything very extremely seriously 24/7?

I wonder how much understanding people have of how kids behave when mom and dad aren't watching. I know the kids don't have that self awareness.
Last edited by ultravisitor on Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”