Northwestern "Hard Times"

D1 Womens Lacrosse
watcherinthewoods

Re: Northwestern "Hard Times"

Post by watcherinthewoods »

hmmm wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:49 am
lax410 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:45 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 pm
I don't know a single HS program in the Philly area that has gone to shorts. NJ Bill watches a lot more HS lax than I do though, all across the mid-Atlantic and NE, so maybe he can comment on this trend prior to college.

(I can say as a former player, the "kilt" was always much more comfortable ... even with itchy "bloomers" underneath. IYKYN.)
Do any major club programs wear a skirt? I honestly can’t think of one I’ve seen recently….it seems like all the clubs are shorts, most of the HSs and colleges are skirts. I’m still involved at the youth level and I’d say it’s 50/50 shorts v. skirts there. Our program is moving to shorts. It’s just easier and the girls seem to prefer it.

As for Nike Pros or spandex underneath, the girls are wearing those whether it’s shorts or a skirt.
In this day and age I’m sure there are several wlax players that perhaps aren’t all that comfortable wearing a skirt…..
This was probably always true ... in 2024 it is acceptable for them to say this out loud. Progress to be sure.
DMac

Post by DMac »

In this day and age.....probably always true but now they're not afraid to say it.

What does all that mean?

There's nowhere these girls wouldn't go in what they're wearing under these skirts.
(yoga pants are worn everywhere, it's commonplace...even when they shouldn't be worn)
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:53 am
hmmm wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:49 am
lax410 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:45 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 pm
I don't know a single HS program in the Philly area that has gone to shorts. NJ Bill watches a lot more HS lax than I do though, all across the mid-Atlantic and NE, so maybe he can comment on this trend prior to college.

(I can say as a former player, the "kilt" was always much more comfortable ... even with itchy "bloomers" underneath. IYKYN.)
Do any major club programs wear a skirt? I honestly can’t think of one I’ve seen recently….it seems like all the clubs are shorts, most of the HSs and colleges are skirts. I’m still involved at the youth level and I’d say it’s 50/50 shorts v. skirts there. Our program is moving to shorts. It’s just easier and the girls seem to prefer it.

As for Nike Pros or spandex underneath, the girls are wearing those whether it’s shorts or a skirt.
In this day and age I’m sure there are several wlax players that perhaps aren’t all that comfortable wearing a skirt…..
This was probably always true ... in 2024 it is acceptable for them to say this out loud. Progress to be sure.
Yes, much better stated but this is point I was trying to make.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

To bring this back to the documentary:

The sequence between minutes 53 and 56 minutes (Mahoney's goal v. Michigan) is one of the most powerful scences I've watched in a long time. The importance of the moment, the look on her face, the joy from her teammates. It's chill-inducing. Ever more when you know the backstory - that Mahoney had scored 20 goals the year before, but failed to hit the back of the net until this goal in the 2nd round of the NCAAs.

What struck me most in the film is the humility of the players and coaches - start to finish.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Laxfan212 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:10 pm My daughters (college players) and all of their friends prefer shorts. Skirts can actually be more limiting, not freer. Any time it comes up in conversation among the kids, I never hear the girls say they prefer a skirt.
Second this. My daughter can’t stand the skirts and none of her hs team likes it either. Club team loves the shorts.
Full disclosure, I think the girls actually care how they look more than they feel. Skirts are “old fashioned.”
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:45 pm
Laxfan212 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:10 pm My daughters (college players) and all of their friends prefer shorts. Skirts can actually be more limiting, not freer. Any time it comes up in conversation among the kids, I never hear the girls say they prefer a skirt.
Second this. My daughter can’t stand the skirts and none of her hs team likes it either. Club team loves the shorts.
Full disclosure, I think the girls actually care how they look more than they feel. Skirts are “old fashioned.”
My daughter’s college team prefers skirts. More comfortable and they like the way they look. I guess there’s no “right” answer.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:07 pm
My daughter’s college team prefers skirts. More comfortable and they like the way they look. I guess there’s no “right” answer.
Exactly...my daughter said, "I like shorts for club and skirts for HS/College" go figure...
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:07 pm
This is more like it. That players hate shorts seemed a casually informed blanket statement. Since reading that, I've noticed there are other teams besides Northwestern spinoffs, if you will, that wear shorts. I wonder if there will come a time when teams offer both and allow each individual player her right to choose.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Bluecollar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:43 pm To bring this back to the documentary:

The sequence between minutes 53 and 56 minutes (Mahoney's goal v. Michigan) is one of the most powerful scences I've watched in a long time. The importance of the moment, the look on her face, the joy from her teammates. It's chill-inducing. Ever more when you know the backstory - that Mahoney had scored 20 goals the year before, but failed to hit the back of the net until this goal in the 2nd round of the NCAAs.
She played in the attacking end much more prior to the 2023 season, so I think her goal production was just a reflection of the change in her role last season.

I did love that goal, though. What a great statement for one of NU's defenders to have the game winner.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Just watched it with my 25 and 27 daughters.

My 27 summed it up pretty well. "Great team, but those girls clearly don't give a darn (she didnt say darn) about school. Cross them off my list."
OuttaNowhereWregget

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm Just watched it with my 25 and 27 daughters.

My 27 summed it up pretty well. "Great team, but those girls clearly don't give a darn (she didnt say darn) about school. Cross them off my list."
I'm intrigued by this. May I ask what your daughter saw/perceived in the documentary that she arrived at that conclusion?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:06 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm Just watched it with my 25 and 27 daughters.

I'm intrigued by this. May I ask what your daughter saw/perceived in the documentary that she arrived at that conclusion?
The scenes in the middle where they asked 10 players what they wanted to do after college. Only one of them had a real answer (sports admin). The rest either said "be a mom" or blew off the question.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:11 am

The scenes in the middle where they asked 10 players what they wanted to do after college. Only one of them had a real answer (sports admin). The rest either said "be a mom" or blew off the question.
Interesting. Thank you.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

I noticed that part as a parent. If your at the Scane level that's an OK answer because you can make a career out of lax one way or another coaching etc.. but the answers were scary. I've seen other players even at the D3 level care only about lax and go for sports management etc, they will probably regret that later in life.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

There were a few interesting answers about life after lacrosse considering the cost to go to NU. Good to see the young lady jump right into the NU sports admin after senior year. She made some honest comments about life after lacrosse. Her priority was about playing time, but being a supportive teammate.
The Notre Dame women's lacrosse website does some impressive senior profiles. There is a clear focus on summer internships that is well done.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

WLaxdad wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:21 am

I noticed that part as a parent. If your at the Scane level that's an OK answer because you can make a career out of lax one way or another coaching etc.. but the answers were scary. I've seen other players even at the D3 level care only about lax and go for sports management etc, they will probably regret that later in life.
I'm just not sure how fair it is to come to the conclusion "those girls clearly don't give a darn about school" from those snippets, though. That's the kind of question that will elicit different responses depending on the context during which it's being asked and the knowledge and understanding the speaker has of the audience.

Those girls were between drills at practice and having fun with each other, and we don't know what kind of understanding they had for how the footage of their responses was going to be used, so I don't see the problem with their responses. I don't think it's necessarily normal or fair to expect business-like answers to that question in every circumstance. (Also: I know what Northwestern students are like. I was one. I had classes with members of national championship teams. They understand the difference between work time and play time.)

If someone's critical thinking doesn't bring them to understand that, I think that's where the problem lies.
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:14 am I'm just not sure how fair it is to come to the conclusion "those girls clearly don't give a darn about school" from those snippets, though. That's the kind of question that will elicit different responses depending on the context during which it's being asked and the knowledge and understanding the speaker has of the audience.

Those girls were between drills at practice and having fun with each other, and we don't know what kind of understanding they had for how the footage of their responses was going to be used, so I don't see the problem with their responses. I don't think it's necessarily normal or fair to expect business-like answers to that question in every circumstance. (Also: I know what Northwestern students are like. I was one. I had classes with members of national championship teams. They understand the difference between work time and play time.)

If someone's critical thinking doesn't bring them to understand that, I think that's where the problem lies.
Well stated.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't think it was a good idea to bring your daughters into this, LDM. One must step with caution when maneuvering in this tiny, fragile, and overly sensitive world that is the Fanlax Wlax forum without making it personal which is what you've now done.
What do you think the odds are that every one of those Northwestern girls would say, I don't give a damn (and they probably would say damn) what those two girls think of me and my aspirations, cross them off my list of people whose opinion I give a damn about?
Teens to very early twenties girls who aren't quite clear about what they want to do with the rest of their lives (kinda like the majority of that age group). Girls who have made monster commitments and excelled at what they do which is a result of focus, determination, and sacrifice are crossed off your daughters list.....because? Mighty shallow thinking in my book. I was impressed by these young girls even if they don't quite know yet whether they want to be a second grade teacher or a Naval aviator flying jets off aircraft carriers. I'd bet they'll figure it all out and likely be good at whatever it is they chose to do. They've already learned what it takes to be winners.
Last edited by DMac on Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

WLaxdad wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:21 am

I'm always interested to hear different and differing perspectives. Thank you both for weighing in on the topic.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:31 am I don't think it was a good idea to bring your daughters into this, LDM. One must step with caution when maneuvering in this tiny, fragile, and overly sensitive world that is the Fanlax Wlax forum without making it personal which is what you've now done.
What do you think the odds are that every one of those Northwestern girls would say, I don't give a damn (and they probably would say damn) what those two girls think of me and my aspirations, cross them off my list of people whose opinion I give a damn about?
Teens to very early twenties girls who aren't quite clear about what they want to do with the rest of their lives (kinda like the majority of that age group). Girls who have made monster commitments and excelled at what they do which is a result of focus, determination, and sacrifice are crossed off your daughters list.....because? Mighty shallow thinking in my book. I was impressed by these young girls even if they don't quite know yet whether they want to be a second grade teacher or a Naval aviator flying jets off aircraft carriers. I'd bet they'll figure it all out and likely be good at whatever it is they chose to do. They've already learned what it takes to be winners.
While I agree at some level, I don't know. I found the responses a bit odd. At most D1 programs, especially high academic institutions that rival NU, you will find a vast majority of players very aware of the opportunities presented to them professionally. There is a lot of push and drive to attain the best possible internships in the summer during their playing careers. I don't see a lot of players at Duke, Hopkins, Princeton, etc. saying, "meh, I'll figure it out after I graduate". Speaking from my own experience, my daughter showed up at school with no idea what she wanted to do. She had a really good internship after her soph year but she didn't like it and pivoted to something else for junior year. So while the answer may not be that they 100% know what they want to do after graduation when they are fresh/soph, those responses were a bit surprising.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”