Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

My friend has coached High School basketball for years. He got out of it a few years ago because of the parents. He said the worst was in the middle of a game someone tapped him on the shoulder and it was a parent telling him who he should get in the game….. some think the kids are pro material because they are on the high school team.

I was talking to a lax guy that runs a club and has a 2024…. He told me that such and such Ivy was interested in his son and how he was going to be a starting lefty attackman. I stopped him and said look, your son will play wherever the coach tells him to play. He’s not a lefty attackman…he’s a high school lacrosse player….I don’t think he liked it. He believed his son would be done by 9/15. He said he wanted to wrap it up early. It’s January and he has not landed. Already re-classed at least once.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:55 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:43 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:09 pm
Gio Reyna and his parents are a classic example. Coming up at NYCFC, there was a lot of daddy ball. A couple of players just as good as Gio at 12,13,14 weren’t developed like he was. He was playing up when he wasn’t competitive and wasn’t the best player in his age group at the club. In Lacrosse, there is also a degree of daddy ball….

Here is another example….

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/298 ... atform=amp

Coach just helping Ben develop……I met Ryan Hite a few years ago. He was a great D3 college receiver…..he laughed and said “yeah I played QB in front of Ben”…
claudio needs some more time in order to keep on top of things for gio:
https://www.espn.com/soccer/austin-fc/s ... ontroversy
More….. “The club did not comment on Claudio's status as the scandal unfolded earlier this month. In addition to Claudio's communication with Stewart and McBride, Fox Sports reported that he tried to influence then-U.S. Under-17 coach Raphaël Wicky’s handling of Gio at the 2019 U-17 World Cup.”

This has been going on since Gio was playing U13 at NYCFC. Claudio tilting the field and making sure Gio gets every opportunity to be developed at the expense of kids just as good as he was….but didn’t have an influential dad…

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/claudi ... 44438.html
it really is an amazing story. in fairness to claudio, mommy's the one who actually made good on the threat! and she was roommates and teammates with berhalter's wife! & claudio was the best man @ the berhalter's wedding! w.t.f!!!

how many people have been fired so far? 3 1/2 including berhalter plus claudio? it's not over yet! next coach better hope gio plays!!!
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-stat ... ng-parents
My friend moved his son to England basically for better development. The parents have one 15 minute meeting with the coach at the end of the season. Parents line up….get their 15 minutes and move on. The coach doesn’t talk to parents otherwise. My friend’s son went over at 12 and he is now 15. His brother played at UVA BTW. In Spain, parents can watch the Barca youth kids play once a month, I believe. Parents are waaay over the top here. I watched a video of my son playing u11 soccer and I was ridiculous with all the yelling. I started toning it down by 13….Parents would actually bait my son. I remember asking a ref to talk to the parents because a 13 year old kid shouldn’t be baited by adults.
if u told me decades ago we would be this irresponsible, i would've thought you were the crazy man.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:45 pm My friend has coached High School basketball for years. He got out of it a few years ago because of the parents. He said the worst was in the middle of a game someone tapped him on the shoulder and it was a parent telling him who he should get in the game….. some think the kids are pro material because they are on the high school team.

I was talking to a lax guy that runs a club and has a 2024…. He told me that such and such Ivy was interested in his son and how he was going to be a starting lefty attackman. I stopped him and said look, your son will play wherever the coach tells him to play. He’s not a lefty attackman…he’s a high school lacrosse player….I don’t think he liked it. He believed his son would be done by 9/15. He said he wanted to wrap it up early. It’s January and he has not landed. Already re-classed at least once.
hilarious. that the guy runs a club makes it special.

i have seen some things, too.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:45 pm My friend has coached High School basketball for years. He got out of it a few years ago because of the parents. He said the worst was in the middle of a game someone tapped him on the shoulder and it was a parent telling him who he should get in the game….. some think the kids are pro material because they are on the high school team.

You two might appreciate this: https://twitter.com/michael_schlact/sta ... eRTxDrJvSw
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:55 am

You two might appreciate this: https://twitter.com/michael_schlact/sta ... eRTxDrJvSw
That’s a good link and in normal times it would be an unremarkable statement. That coach is fed up…..Obviously many of those parents aren’t working second shifts and have time to obsess.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnkOoAwK ... JhMjlhZTc=

What do you see here?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:59 am

That’s a good link and in normal times it would be an unremarkable statement. That coach is fed up…..Obviously many of those parents aren’t working second shifts and have time to obsess.

What do you see here?
a complete catastrophe or emotions. From the clip, it even looks like the ref shoved the kid, although he was trying to separate them. I was president of our youth organization for years....parents ruin everything.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 am

What do you see here?
a complete catastrophe or emotions. From the clip, it even looks like the ref shoved the kid, although he was trying to separate them. I was president of our youth organization for years....parents ruin everything.
A kid on the green team shoved the kid before the ref could get there. It looked “looked like” he bowled the kid over but he was actually trying to break the kid’s fall. Daddy too wrapped up emotionally to let the ref do his job. Parents are ruining youth sports. A friend told me this morning that a parent walked onto the soccer field last week and asked the coach when is he going to get the kids “scrimmaging”…. 6 year olds.

A long time ago, my son was doing weekly 4th grade indoor lacrosse sessions. Maybe the second or third week in, I heard a dad complaining about the coach that was running the clinic didn’t know what he was doing…..why couldn’t we find a guy that knows how to get kids in and out of the game…. It was 1/2 hour clinic 1/2 hour play….. I finally was tired of hearing him complain and asked if he knew who the coach was? Of course he said no…I told him he is a current Division 1 lacrosse coach….he said ‘oh’ and stopped complaining.
henryben

Post by henryben »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:41 am

What do you see here?
A kid on the green team shoved the kid before the ref could get there. It looked “looked like” he bowled the kid over but he was actually trying to break the kid’s fall. Daddy too wrapped up emotionally to let the ref do his job. Parents are ruining youth sports. A friend told me this morning that a parent walked onto the soccer field last week and asked the coach when is he going to get the kids “scrimmaging”…. 6 year olds.

A long time ago, my son was doing weekly 4th grade indoor lacrosse sessions. Maybe the second or third week in, I heard a dad complaining about the coach that was running the clinic didn’t know what he was doing…..why couldn’t we find a guy that knows how to get kids in and out of the game…. It was 1/2 hour clinic 1/2 hour play….. I finally was tired of hearing him complain and asked if he knew who the coach was? Of course he said no…I told him he is a current Division 1 lacrosse coach….he said ‘oh’ and stopped complaining.
I’ve been watching youth sports for 15 yrs.

1. It’s ironic, many of these parents behave in ways they’d never tolerate from their OWN KIDS.

2. A good rule of thumb is, you should never care about tje sport, game, etc. more than your own kid does.
Typical Lax Dad

henryben wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:01 pm

What do you see here?

1. It’s ironic, many of these parents behave in ways they’d never tolerate from their OWN KIDS.

2. A good rule of thumb is, you should never care about tje sport, game, etc. more than your own kid does.
Out of the blue a guy that partners with our company walked in and was talking about coaching youth football in a tony town…he has no kids but puts a lot of time into it. He said quote…..”the blonde mom and weasely hedge fund dad doesn’t give them much to work with” but are so demanding that the coaches put a lot of time in and the kids perform above their talent because of coaching.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:00 pm

What do you see here?

Out of the blue a guy that partners with our company walked in and was talking about coaching youth football in a tony town…he has no kids but puts a lot of time into it. He said quote…..”the blonde mom and weasely hedge fund dad doesn’t give them much to work with” but are so demanding that the coaches put a lot of time in and the kids perform above their talent because of coaching.
Did you drop a adjective about the mom in that quote per chance???
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:13 pm

What do you see here?

Starts with an H and ends with a T and has a vowel in the middle….a common descriptor…..also used by a guy on a lax field with 3 elementary school kids that I saw during COVID….its was, I am making a killing as these blank blank Fairfield County moms pay to have me train there kids while their husbands work in the city all day…. He should have aimed higher but he was a typical loser preying on the parents’ dreams for their kids.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:19 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:13 pm

What do you see here?

Starts with an H and ends with a T and has a vowel in the middle….a common descriptor…..also used by a guy on a lax field with 3 elementary school kids that I saw during COVID….its was, I am making a killing as these blank blank Fairfield County moms pay to have me train there kids while their husbands work in the city all day…. He should have aimed higher but he was a typical loser preying on the parents’ dreams for their kids.
I’ll take an H, T and S and would like to buy the vowels O and A please?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/robert-ho ... ling-refs/

I wonder if Horry’s kid plays lacrosse?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:50 pm https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/robert-ho ... ling-refs/

I’m on board with that,
he’s always been a pretty together guy.
Typical Lax Dad

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:50 pm https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/robert-ho ... ling-refs/

I’m on board with that,
he’s always been a pretty together guy.
My motto is this…..If your kid plays at a school with good Lacrosse and Water Polo, you doing alright!
Typical Lax Dad

Just heard the player is moving to a new high school….. I also just saw this: https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/football ... _expansion

Youth sport parents are out of control.
jff97

Re: Men's Lacrosse Blue Chip Ratio

Post by jff97 »

jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:58 am With all the discussion that goes on about recruiting and whether rankings are accurate or not on here, I decided to apply the "blue-chip ratio" used by college football analysts to lacrosse. For those not familiar, the theory is that at least 50 percent of your roster needs to be blue-chip, or 4 or 5 star recruits, to win the national championship. TCU could put a big dent in this theory on Monday, but it's held up well for over a decade.
Here's more info if you're curious: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/B ... 90039196_3

For these ratings, I used Inside Lacrosse's recruiting database, which gave out star ratings for players back to 2017. That allowed me to put a ranking together for the last three seasons, which I'll post below. The percentages are the amount of blue-chip recruits each team has had over the past four recruiting classes. Transfers are not included and aren't in the blue-chip ratio either due to the recruiting rules being different for transfers compared to incoming players. IL looks like they've given out more star ratings in recent, which could inflate the number of teams that make this list, but I think this is still a good metric that shows you need to recruit a certain base level of talent to compete in the sport at the highest level. The national champion for the 2021 and 2022 seasons are in all caps, while Final Four teams have an asterisk next to them.

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
North Carolina* 53 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
North Carolina 67 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent
New: Penn, Penn State, Syracuse
Dropped Out: Ohio State, Michigan

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
North Carolina 63 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent
New: Michigan, Ohio State, Brown
Dropped Out: Johns Hopkins

Some takeaways:
-The number of teams has gone from 13 in 2021 to 14 in 2022 to 16 in 2023, which means more teams are recruiting at a high level
-This theory held up well for the 2021 and 2022 season. 7 of the 8 Final Four teams made the list. The only one that didn't was Rutgers, who had a 17-percent blue-chip ratio last year that slightly increased to 20 percent entering this season
-Georgetown is the only team not in the ACC, Big 10 or Ivy League that made the list the last three years
-Princeton is the team on the best upward trajectory, going from 64 to 76 to 82 percent blue-chip. Georgetown has been a steady riser too from 57 to 62 to 67 percent.
-Just because you have highly-rated recruits doesn't mean you'll win a lot. If you at the 247 Sports article, Auburn, Miami and Texas A&M all were in the blue-chip ratio and didn't make a bowl game. Still have to have good coaching and figure out how to best use the talent at hand.

This was interesting to dive into when I was bored over the holidays, so let me know what you guys think.
Looking back at this post I made in January and all Final Four teams hit the 50 percent Blue-Chip Ratio threshold. Since there were enough for four full recruiting classes in 2021, which is when I could backtrack to do these, 11 of the 12 Final Four teams have been on this list. Of the 16 teams included this year, 10 made the NCAA Tournament. Like in any sport, there were a few disappointments (Harvard, Ohio State, Brown), as you have to coach up the talent you have. But I think it's pretty clear that the best way to win is to recruit elite talent, and this backs that up.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

I am just reading your post about 4 and 5 star recruits. The comment that teams are recruiting better was curious.

Does that mean top level teams are doing a better job pulling the 4 and 5 star kids? Or, are more kids paying to get evaluated (rated) which adds to the number of 4 and 5 star.

I have always been curious how much weight those 4 and 5 star recruits hold. And also wonder how many top level kids in college, would have been 4 or 5 star, but never paid for the evaluation
jff97

Post by jff97 »

AbeFroeman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:56 am I am just reading your post about 4 and 5 star recruits. The comment that teams are recruiting better was curious.

Does that mean top level teams are doing a better job pulling the 4 and 5 star kids? Or, are more kids paying to get evaluated (rated) which adds to the number of 4 and 5 star.

I have always been curious how much weight those 4 and 5 star recruits hold. And also wonder how many top level kids in college, would have been 4 or 5 star, but never paid for the evaluation
I think it's some of both. Some teams may be recruiting better, but I think IL is trying to make it like college football where most kids who to commit to a certain school end up at a certain level. In college football, most recruits at Power 5 schools end up as three-star recruits. I want to say they've made more kids four stars in recent years, so that may be why more teams appear to be recruiting better. There are always going to be kids who don't live up to their ranking and those who are under the radar and become studs. You still have to play the game on the field, but teams who recruit better tend to have a better floor and don't have to "coach players up" as much as other teams that don't recruit as well.
coda

Post by coda »

jff97 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:21 am
AbeFroeman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:56 am I am just reading your post about 4 and 5 star recruits. The comment that teams are recruiting better was curious.

I think it's some of both. Some teams may be recruiting better, but I think IL is trying to make it like college football where most kids who to commit to a certain school end up at a certain level. In college football, most recruits at Power 5 schools end up as three-star recruits. I want to say they've made more kids four stars in recent years, so that may be why more teams appear to be recruiting better. There are always going to be kids who don't live up to their ranking and those who are under the radar and become studs. You still have to play the game on the field, but teams who recruit better tend to have a better floor and don't have to "coach players up" as much as other teams that don't recruit as well.
I think lacrosse is getting better, but it is way behind football and basketball. You still want to have as many 4 and 5 stars kids as possible, but there will be more under-recruited kids in lacrosse. It is hard for a single program to put on a legit camp. It would interesting, if some schools collaborated and put on a legit 2-3 day camp. Say the Big 10 put on a camp. Day 1 was just getting height, weight, and athletic numbers (40 time, vert, etc). If you want to watch the worst lacrosse possible, go to any of the current big recruiting events. Terrible offense and terrible defense. No passing and defenders going for take away checks.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”