Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by jhu06 »

NBA just suspended their season, bet everything else follows. Onto 2021!
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

I have a solution.

Games can go on, but everyone must play zone :idea:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 pm Hopkins seems to have eliminated all “admissions events” which I assume includes sports. Effective today they are moving to online instruction. Non essential travel is also prohibited. Someone want to check my reading?
I’ve posted a couple of times about this today, but here it is again:

“Athletic events are on as scheduled as of now with no limit on fan attendance (as of now). Any updates to that will be posted to our athletic website (HopkinsSports.com) and distributed via our normal channels (social media, etc.). Sometimes the other team may cancel, but as of right now Hopkins Sport has not canceled. It is obviously a fluid situation.”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Banning attendance would improve the behavior in the stands.
GSP

Post by GSP »

kennypowers wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:20 pm I don't see how Hopkins can justify having their athletes and staff travel at the moment. With the school's standing in medicine/public health, I think at the very least they postpone the events in the coming weeks until the increase in cases slows down.
.....or, at the very minimum, until Epstein's leg completely heals.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 pm NBA just suspended their season, bet everything else follows. Onto 2021!
They suspended it because a player tested positive for the virus necessitating quarantining his team and their opponent for that day. It wasn't a case of suspending the season because the virus is in the US.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Can Hopkins make a unilateral decision or does it have to be in coordination with the BIG for lacrosse and the conference affiliation for DIII? In a way I hope so given that there are some chuckleheads that would truly believe Hopkins would do this to erase a bad season. While I don't think this is the end of the world - it is a serious health issue. I also don't think the virus automatically saves JHU lacrosse coaching jobs. One would assume they have to pay everyone if available for duty as they say so Petro's contract is up. 2-4 with an OT win against MSM as one of the 2 is not the greatest piece of recency to walk into the AD's office asking to keep your job. Petro's best chance is some unanticipated resurrection like last year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am Can Hopkins make a unilateral decision or does it have to be in coordination with the BIG for lacrosse and the conference affiliation for DIII? In a way I hope so given that there are some chuckleheads that would truly believe Hopkins would do this to erase a bad season. While I don't think this is the end of the world - it is a serious health issue. I also don't think the virus automatically saves JHU lacrosse coaching jobs. One would assume they have to pay everyone if available for duty as they say so Petro's contract is up. 2-4 with an OT win against MSM as one of the 2 is not the greatest piece of recency to walk into the AD's office asking to keep your job. Petro's best chance is some unanticipated resurrection like last year.
Lafayette just suspended all sports through at least April 5, without coordinating with the Patriot League. As far as I know they haven't had a student test positive. Schools can definitely make decisions on their own.

I agree with whoever said that conducting a nationwide coaching search in the middle of a pandemic would not only be a bad look but might also be logistically impossible. Travel is being seriously impacted, campuses are shutting down, people are entering quarantine. I'd imagine it will be rather difficult—and potentially irresponsible—to coordinate all the travel, interviews, meetings, facility tours, etc., all the stuff you'd expect from a thorough coaching search. They might just say, because of the circumstances, we're giving the guy another year to get it together and we'll approach this again in June 2021, when (theoretically) things will be back to normal.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I wonder how the Pietramala family dog is doing.
Homer

Post by Homer »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am Can Hopkins make a unilateral decision or does it have to be in coordination with the BIG for lacrosse and the conference affiliation for DIII?
On the D3 board somebody is posting that a statement from the Centennial Conference is expected soon. Swarthmore has already suspended spring sports, which tells you the direction things are likely heading. I would think that theoretically Hopkins could shut down the D3 teams in line with Centennial policy and keep playing lacrosse so long as the B1G stays open for business. But the optics of that might be very unpalatable, in a number of respects. In any case I'm doubtful the B1G is going to be playing spring sports much longer either.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 am
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am Can Hopkins make a unilateral decision or does it have to be in coordination with the BIG for lacrosse and the conference affiliation for DIII? In a way I hope so given that there are some chuckleheads that would truly believe Hopkins would do this to erase a bad season. While I don't think this is the end of the world - it is a serious health issue. I also don't think the virus automatically saves JHU lacrosse coaching jobs. One would assume they have to pay everyone if available for duty as they say so Petro's contract is up. 2-4 with an OT win against MSM as one of the 2 is not the greatest piece of recency to walk into the AD's office asking to keep your job. Petro's best chance is some unanticipated resurrection like last year.
Lafayette just suspended all sports through at least April 5, without coordinating with the Patriot League. As far as I know they haven't had a student test positive. Schools can definitely make decisions on their own.

I agree with whoever said that conducting a nationwide coaching search in the middle of a pandemic would not only be a bad look but might also be logistically impossible. Travel is being seriously impacted, campuses are shutting down, people are entering quarantine. I'd imagine it will be rather difficult—and potentially irresponsible—to coordinate all the travel, interviews, meetings, facility tours, etc., all the stuff you'd expect from a thorough coaching search. They might just say, because of the circumstances, we're giving the guy another year to get it together and we'll approach this again in June 2021, when (theoretically) things will be back to normal.
That was me. And the worst aspect of my hypo is that he'll probably do just enough next year 8 and 8 or so and things will look up that he'll be there in 2022.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 am I agree with whoever said that conducting a nationwide coaching search in the middle of a pandemic would not only be a bad look but might also be logistically impossible. Travel is being seriously impacted, campuses are shutting down, people are entering quarantine. I'd imagine it will be rather difficult—and potentially irresponsible—to coordinate all the travel, interviews, meetings, facility tours, etc., all the stuff you'd expect from a thorough coaching search. They might just say, because of the circumstances, we're giving the guy another year to get it together and we'll approach this again in June 2021, when (theoretically) things will be back to normal.
I'm not sure what the timing would actually need to be, though. It seems to me that, in the event of an imminent season cancellation, Hopkins could easily put out a statement announcing the decision not to renew Petro, and saying that a nationwide search will commence at such future time as the university has determined it's appropriate and safe. I don't see any great practical or political drawback to such an approach. If you can start searching 3 months from now that still puts you on essentially the normal timeline you would've had if the season had fully played out.

The other aspect is that under the scenario you're proposing, Petro has to be offered a one-year extension. If it comes with the clear implication that it's basically a technicality due to not being able to do a search at the time, and that they're fully intending to move on after 2021, are you sure Petro would sign? I'm not 100% certain he would even want to come back for another year on such terms.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Homer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 am I agree with whoever said that conducting a nationwide coaching search in the middle of a pandemic would not only be a bad look but might also be logistically impossible. Travel is being seriously impacted, campuses are shutting down, people are entering quarantine. I'd imagine it will be rather difficult—and potentially irresponsible—to coordinate all the travel, interviews, meetings, facility tours, etc., all the stuff you'd expect from a thorough coaching search. They might just say, because of the circumstances, we're giving the guy another year to get it together and we'll approach this again in June 2021, when (theoretically) things will be back to normal.
I'm not sure what the timing would actually need to be, though. It seems to me that, in the event of an imminent season cancellation, Hopkins could easily put out a statement announcing the decision not to renew Petro, and saying that a nationwide search will commence at such future time as the university has determined it's appropriate and safe. I don't see any great practical or political drawback to such an approach. If you can start searching 3 months from now that still puts you on essentially the normal timeline you would've had if the season had fully played out.

The other aspect is that under the scenario you're proposing, Petro has to be offered a one-year extension. If it comes with the clear implication that it's basically a technicality due to not being able to do a search at the time, and that they're fully intending to move on after 2021, are you sure Petro would sign? I'm not 100% certain he would even want to come back for another year on such terms.
We have no idea how long this thing is going to last though. What if it's still not appropriate or safe in several months? If they offer a one-year extension and he says no (I kind of feel like he would say yes, but who knows) then you pretty much end up at the same place you're suggesting anyway. For a million reasons of which I'm sure you are aware, you do not want to risk going into July or August without a coach. I am assuming this search, if and when it happens, will take a good amount of time and require a lot of people and a lot of coordination. They'd basically have to make the call now that they'd be able to start on time in late May/early June. And no one knows if that will be feasible.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Patriot league just cancelled spring sports. So much for the Navy game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am Patriot league just cancelled spring sports. So much for the Navy game.
Patriot League is saying the decision is effective March 16. So they still might play this weekend?

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/3/1 ... ition.aspx

If that's the case, Navy will probably kick our teeth in. Their players will know it is their final game of the year, and for their seniors, their last games ever. Meanwhile we still have no idea if the B1G season will continue afterward (at this point I don't think it will, but we don't know that yet).
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am
nyjay wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am Patriot league just cancelled spring sports. So much for the Navy game.
Patriot League is saying the decision is effective March 16. So they still might play this weekend?

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/3/1 ... ition.aspx

If that's the case, Navy will probably kick our teeth in. Their players will know it is their final game of the year, and for their seniors, their last games ever. Meanwhile we still have no idea if the B1G season will continue afterward (at this point I don't think it will, but we don't know that yet).
The new undergraduate travel policy put in place by President Daniels would seem to make continuation of the Hopkins lacrosse season untenable.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

From IL article

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... d-19/56152
The league was expected to allow games for the upcoming weekend, with cancellations starting Monday. That decision is up to the individual schools.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

We just moved up another couple of spots in teh Un-ranked. :D
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Big Dog wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 am
We just moved up another couple of spots in teh Un-ranked. :D
IL reporting the game is still a go, but may change
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 pm Hopkins seems to have eliminated all “admissions events” which I assume includes sports. Effective today they are moving to online instruction. Non essential travel is also prohibited. Someone want to check my reading?
Admissions events refers to campus tours and open houses. As far as I know athletics is unaffected.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”