All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Farfromgeneva

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:44 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:26 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:52 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 am
"We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus," Biden tweeted as a presidential candidate last year the day after Trump imposed travel restrictions from China into the United States. "We need to lead the way with science — not hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."
https://twitter.com/serafinos/status/13 ... 62209?s=21

:oops:

It was bad when Trump did it. Now it’s smart action.

:lol:

Biden doesn’t even believe what he’s saying.
stop posting things like this....or you'll be put in a box of not believing in democracy and a forever trump supporter.

Those unable to admit the double standard (on both sides), are also willing to accept each and every change as progress (but only if its from their side)....just not mean tweets and if you have orange skin. ;)
What do you call someone obsessed with pointing out double standards to the point of ignoring everything else and constantly harping on it and being negative?
you? ;)
Obsessed and constantly? I accept inconsistencies in life. Not posting about them every single day here. I look at them for arbitrage opportunities in my life which is actually forward and positive thinking (if occasionally lacking in empathy)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.science.org/content/article ... us-omicron

Patience, Grasshopper. This article was publicized by former FDA Chief Dr. Scott Gottleib, who is not known as a fanatic.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:43 am "We have plenty of facts of how this could possibly go."

In what reality does this sentence make any sense?
How did the first round go? How did Delta go? Plan for this being like that and back off if we catch a break. You ever drink and drive?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:50 am https://www.science.org/content/article ... us-omicron

Patience, Grasshopper. This article was publicized by former FDA Chief Dr. Scott Gottleib, who is not known as a fanatic.
Thanks for posting that. My guess is that we shouldn’t prepare for anything and just wait to see how full hospitals become before we do anything about it. I know we had the first wave and then Delta but that hasn’t taught us anything. No facts gathered over the past 2 years.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:48 am
"We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus," Biden tweeted as a presidential candidate last year the day after Trump imposed travel restrictions from China into the United States. "We need to lead the way with science — not hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."

stop posting things like this....or you'll be put in a box of not believing in democracy and a forever trump supporter.

Those unable to admit the double standard (on both sides), are also willing to accept each and every change as progress (but only if its from their side)....just not mean tweets and if you have orange skin. ;)
What do you call someone obsessed with pointing out double standards to the point of ignoring everything else and constantly harping on it and being negative?
you? ;)
Obsessed and constantly? I accept inconsistencies in life. Not posting about them every single day here. I look at them for arbitrage opportunities in my life which is actually forward and positive thinking (if occasionally lacking in empathy)
Just having some fun w/ya FFG. As one of only a handful of non die hard bluebloods, it just too easy to try and help balance the scales.....we are in the political thread.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:50 am https://www.science.org/content/article ... us-omicron

Be careful, the last time a president did not react fast enough or use his clairvoyant powers, as it relates to this virus....he was said to have killed millions. Maybe Joe and Trump should huddle up and share notes. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:09 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:40 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:51 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 pm So does these mean we can now call Biden names for banning travel from Africa? :lol:
No. I'll go with evidence-based and prudent for $1,000,000,000 Alex:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -lockdown/

Good try. You keep supporting people who want to end democracy. Nice story for the grandkids someday.
:lol: :lol: oooooh Im sorry seacoster, that was incorrect, the correct answer is "Double-Standard". ;)

Not supporting anyone.....no need to read any more in to it than simply banning travel from a country. Appreciate you keeping up with MSNBC talking points by lumping anyone not you, into a category of against democracy.

Seems Joe already knew how to control CV-19 back in March of 2020, he just failed to tell us....implying banning travel was a bad choice.
Joe Biden
@JoeBiden

United States government official
A wall will not stop the coronavirus.

Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it.

This disease could impact every nation and any person on the planet — and we need a plan to combat it.
8:05 PM · Mar 12, 2020

youth, you're smarter than this.

In March 2020, Biden or anyone else who said that banning travel from Europe or anywhere else was already too late was correct.

Horses were already out of the barn.
Covid was already in the US and spreading. Too late.
We needed to focus on measures to slow spread here.

It may well be too late to stop this variant from getting out of Africa and to the US. But we don't know that yet.

But if it's not here yet, slowing it up may well give the scientists time to make adjustments to the vaccines, boosters, etc, such that we can squelch it when it does appear (as is likely inevitable).

I think we'll learn a lot more about this new variant in the next few weeks.

EDIT: I agree with Bart that travel bans won't stop the variant from eventually getting here. I think the point is to try to slow it up, give the scientists a window.
A little ....refresher. It was 21-Jan of the first case in the US....

Oh how soon we forget......It was on 24 February that Nancy was encouraging parties in the street......just two short weeks before that travel ban.
:D prevagen.

Yes, the first cases were noticed in January in the US, and what I said was that by March anyone, Biden included, saying that travel bans were too late were correct. It was already here and spreading fast, there was no closing the barn door in March.

Pelosi was wrong to dismiss it in February. I dunno whether she had the intel briefings by then that should have told her otherwise, but she was proven wrong. But travel bans in March were already way too late. Biden was correct in March.
That’s funny. I had prevagen in my reply and decided to remove it, thought you’d get a bit feisty if I suggested you needed some.....I guess it’s not working 😉 😘
That's where the "refresher" link takes me. Funny.

But you're ignoring the timing. I didn't.

Do you actually have some different understanding of the timing?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:05 am

Be careful, the last time a president did not react fast enough or use his clairvoyant powers, as it relates to this virus....he was said to have killed millions. Maybe Joe and Trump should huddle up and share notes. ;)
And yet the travel ban is to be criticized?

The ban may well prove to be not necessary, either because the variant is not actually more dangerous or because it's already too late.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 am

The ban may well prove to be not necessary, either because the variant is not actually more dangerous or because it's already too late.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/world/ ... strictions
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:02 am

you? ;)
Just having some fun w/ya FFG. As one of only a handful of non die hard bluebloods, it just too easy to try and help balance the scales.....we are in the political thread.
Just having fun as I am definitely not a blue blood.

https://theconversation.com/amp/travele ... sts-153843

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... avirus.amp
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:19 am

Yup, just as it might prove to not be necessary, there's a pretty darn good (bad) chance that it was helpful to slowing it down and thus helpful for the scientists to develop a response.

We'll likely have more info in the next few weeks.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:25 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:19 am

Yup, just as it might prove to not be necessary, there's a pretty darn good (bad) chance that it was helpful to slowing it down and thus helpful for the scientists to develop a response.

We'll likely have more info in the next few weeks.
Yep. When the pandemic first hit, we knew very little. Part of the Trump criticism was banning travel from China but not Italy when the virus was raging. At least in this case, countries are attempting to restrict travel from where the virus is hot. May help, but probably not. I pointed out back in Spring 2020 that with this virus, by the time you notice it, it’s already a big problem. We will see. Plan foe the worst and hope for the best.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:02 am

you? ;)
I know a single wink emoji sufficed there. My original reply was going to be “Oh yeah, your mom!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm Interesting Fauci comment today.
Almost like stealing your friends wallet, then helping him find it.
~Livy

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:18 pm Image
This is funny though I have to admit I wrote a well crafted argument for the written portion of the GMAT back in the day arguing that seatbelt laws likely create moral hazard that causes folks in the aggregate to drive less safely and create more accidents. And I do believe in moral hazard from laws claimed to protect individuals either from themselves or from others. The concept itself (moral hazard) gets hand waived off far too easily and dismissively based on presumed behavior of individuals that is too optimistic for the reality of who and what people are.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:08 pm
This is funny though I have to admit I wrote a well crafted argument for the written portion of the GMAT back in the day arguing that seatbelt laws likely create moral hazard that causes folks in the aggregate to drive less safely and create more accidents. And I do believe in moral hazard from laws claimed to protect individuals either from themselves or from others. The concept itself (moral hazard) gets hand waived off far too easily and dismissively based on presumed behavior of individuals that is too optimistic for the reality of who and what people are.
Having watched crash test dummies and then speaking to engineers about the results, I have not left a parking spot without a seatbelt.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:08 pm
Having watched crash test dummies and then speaking to engineers about the results, I have not left a parking spot without a seatbelt.
Sure but that wasn’t a law that is intended to modify behavior with government sanctioned punishment. “We” often do assume behavior of others and it get exacerbated when it comes behind govt law or mandate. “We” shouldn’t assume anything since, like, Free Will and whatnot, but it’s sort of instinctual to people from my observations.

That one song of theirs is catchy though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeg1txDv8w

Return to “POLITICS”