Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
sguy9

Re: Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by sguy9 »

thetruth wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 am
Dartmouth is a great school with fantastic spirit. Every kid is blessed to be there. There's more to life than wins and losses on the lacrosse field.

LOL! Sums up the victim mentality pretty good here. It is pretty simple as to why DC is bad. There are a lot better options to play lacrosse and go to school.
Here is where I struggle. Why can't Dartmouth have both? A great school with fantastic spirit, every kid blessed to be there, and win on the field.....
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

Bandito wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:54 pm
thetruth wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am Dartmouth is a great school with fantastic spirit. Every kid is blessed to be there. There's more to life than wins and losses on the lacrosse field.
LOL! Sums up the victim mentality pretty good here. It is pretty simple as to why DC is bad. There are a lot better options to play lacrosse and go to school.
Dear Frito,
Thank you for taking the time off from spewing your political venom to visit the Dartmouth lacrosse site.
Your analysis is bold and insightful.
Now back to your regularly scheduled targets.

GBG
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

sguy9 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:08 pm
thetruth wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 am
Dartmouth is a great school with fantastic spirit. Every kid is blessed to be there. There's more to life than wins and losses on the lacrosse field.

Here is where I struggle. Why can't Dartmouth have both? A great school with fantastic spirit, every kid blessed to be there, and win on the field.....
Fair question. We've shown before that we can win as well, so it's certainly not impossible.
But, at least in the past 50 years, we haven't sustained that success for more than a handful of consecutive seasons in men's lacrosse. Never a full decade.

I think the AD way underestimated the challenge when making the last coaching transition, digging the hole actually deeper for a couple of years. Missed recruiting season, very young, incomplete staff, traumatic decision to cut roster deeply. The question now, it seems to me, is whether the corner can be turned with this staff and the current support levels. There's been some good groundwork, IMO, but will the corner be turned remains to be seen.

New facility is a big step, but it's definitely not enough alone (and won't have an impact until 2020 season). As I've written, we need more $ for coaching, more overall support. And a bit of good fortune recruiting and keeping guys healthy.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Money talks. If some lacrosse alum writes a massive check then the lacrosse program will get everything it needs to win. Until then DC has no motivation to do anything more than it has done in the past for men’s lacrosse. It’s pretty simple. Just ask Yale.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ive wondered about Yale's recent success and Joe Tsai. Is there a correlation?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Yes
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

thetruth,
Can you enlighten us on how Joe Tsai is the reason for Yale's success? How exactly does that work.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

seriously? wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:58 am thetruth,
Can you enlighten us on how Joe Tsai is the reason for Yale's success? How exactly does that work.
Made the lead gift to fully endow the Yale lacrosse program in 2014. Having a fully endowed athletics program is rare anywhere even for Yale and that doesn’t happen without expectations of programmatic success. Tsai, a Yale lacrosse alum, has been a substantial donor to Yale over the years and is probably far from through given his net worth of over $10 billion. Lacrosse is clearly one of his passions given his support of Yale lacrosse and investments in the NLL and PLL. Impressive person.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

thetruth wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:32 pm
Made the lead gift to fully endow the Yale lacrosse program in 2014. Having a fully endowed athletics program is rare anywhere even for Yale and that doesn’t happen without expectations of programmatic success. Tsai, a Yale lacrosse alum, has been a substantial donor to Yale over the years and is probably far from through given his net worth of over $10 billion. Lacrosse is clearly one of his passions given his support of Yale lacrosse and investments in the NLL and PLL. Impressive person.
Mr. Tsai has helped along with more latitude from admissions regarding the number of recruited athlete slots.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:40 pm Mr. Tsai has helped along with more latitude from admissions regarding the number of recruited athlete slots.
Among other things.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Understand that Yale has just recently increased its class size in order to increase the overall enrollment. The exact number escapes me right now, but it maybe +150-200 per class. This is the third admissions cycle of increase, so in the Fall of 2020, they should be "full." That increase gives each team 1-2 more recruit slots per year. And some teams just don't need any more bodies. Doesn't sound like much, but just think if their lacrosse team had 6 more recruit slots over the 4 classes. Its a lot.

I believe Brown is also increasing their enrollment.

Dartmouth is already the smallest Ivy. The other schools getting bigger is not helping DC at this point.

Anyone know if DC is considering increasing its class size?
b1w7o9y7h

Re: Dartmouth Enrollment

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

http://www.dartblog.com/images/Enrollme ... Report.pdf

The answer is no on increased enrollment at this time. This letter was a face saving allowance given current president Hanlon after he tried to ram a de facto “Dartmouth College has to become Dartmouth University in order to become NOT Dartmouth in order to keep up with the Jones" vision down the Lone Pine’s trunk. He effectively wanted to gut 250 years of special with one ego stroking moment of misplaced grandiosity. And he’s a Dartmouth grad!!! He should be forced to turn in his Green Card and go Vox in the Deserto with a pack of angry moose for a while until he remembers what it means to be Green, and why trying to be something we're not would be a death knell to what makes us special. Thank goodness the ghosts of Eleazor Wheelock and Daniel Webster rose up (along with a ton of alums, faculty and students), and derailed the Madness of King Phil. I was actually surprised he wasn't shown the door gracefully but firmly after this proposed debacle.

So, that’s my long way of saying “No” to the "is Dartmouth planning on increasing undergrad enrollment numbers" question.

Sam I Am threw Green Eggs and Ham and they landed on someone’s face...

And, yes, I’m a wee bit prickly on this narrowly dodged bullet.

Gathering around the Big Green water cooler to discuss the school’s warts (doing less with more in terms of delivering the edjumacation product) is a depressing off-season topic. So back to the depressing in-season topics!
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:40 pm
Mr. Tsai has helped along with more latitude from admissions regarding the number of recruited athlete slots.
makes one wonder if perhaps there is a connection between Mr. Tsai's generosity and the increased latitude on admissions....?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:40 pm
makes one wonder if perhaps there is a connection between Mr. Tsai's generosity and the increased latitude on admissions....?
It is possible but could be unrelated. I would have to see if there was a change in the admissions staff. Coach Shay and his staff did a good job of identifying overlooked talent and then developing it.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 pm It is possible but could be unrelated. I would have to see if there was a change in the admissions staff. Coach Shay and his staff did a good job of identifying overlooked talent and then developing it.
I more meant, did he make other general donations to the school on the condition that admissions shift more of the AI slack in the lacrosse program's direction?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 pm It is possible but could be unrelated. I would have to see if there was a change in the admissions staff. Coach Shay and his staff did a good job of identifying overlooked talent and then developing it.
I more meant, did he make other general donations to the school on the condition that admissions shift more of the AI slack in the lacrosse program's direction?
I don't know..... I do know that more slots came before 2014. At least a couple of years before that. The difference between 5 kids sponsored by a coach and 8/9 kids sponsored by a coach can turn a program quickly. Going from 12 down to 8 can also turn a program. My college roommate coached in the league. When his program was struggling kids that he could not get in played at other schools in the league. He said it was frustrating. Eventually, it became a priority again and good fortune soon followed. Coach Shay has done a very good job but not sure he would get the same results if he only got 5-6 kids. I have no idea what Dartmouth's philosophy is but a lift or a reduction in support from admissions is more impactful that virtually anything else.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

While, as Typical Lax Dad indicates, Shay has been given more slots, I doubt we'd ever really know if there was the sort of quid pro quo that you suggest, HooDat. The increase is generally credited to Shay and the Athletic Director.
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 pm
While, as Typical Lax Dad indicates, Shay has been given more slots, I doubt we'd ever really know if there was the sort of quid pro quo that you suggest, HooDat. The increase is generally credited to Shay and the Athletic Director.
Hoodat do you have evidence to back up that claim... that Yale lowered AI standards for Lax? Or are you "just asking a question" the same way people were just asking questions about Obama's birth certificate? (sorry- not about the politics but the best example I could think of).
Typical Lax Dad

I don't think there was any quid pro quo either. I think more support came and then with increase success there was even more support for the program from alumni. Coach Shay was there a long time and took his lumps but the program was turning a couple of years before the wins came and people could see it. I told a college teammate in 2009 that Yale was on the rise..... he thought I was crazy. I telling him "I told you so".....
Typical Lax Dad

Ox77 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Hoodat do you have evidence to back up that claim... that Yale lowered AI standards for Lax? Or are you "just asking a question" the same way people were just asking questions about Obama's birth certificate? (sorry- not about the politics but the best example I could think of).
I don't equate more slots with lowering A/I standards BTW. There is a huge difference between being sponsored by the coach and having to get in on your own. Getting in on your own is a lottery because its next to impossible to get into Yale no matter how strong your academic chops are. A friends kid did not get in. The guy is remarkable. He had to settle for Stanford......

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”