Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by faircornell »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:34 pm Switching gears a bit to the addition to the Big Red's schedule, Marquette seems like they may have a pretty strong team this year -- they really took it to Yale in a fall ball game in October. Although Yale was missing some projected 2023 starters, they had plenty of returning guys out on the field and the Bulldogs were thoroughly outplayed by Marquette.
Thanks, Orfling! Good to know.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:53 pm Whether you like it or not, there is a clear pattern that Syracuse does not want to play Cornell on short(er) rest (on a weekday after a Saturday game).

2022 - game is played Monday 4/11 at Syracuse. Cornell played Saturday 4/9 vs Harvard. Syracuse played Thursday 4/7 vs Albany.
2020 - game was scheduled for Tuesday 4/7 at Cornell (cancelled). Cornell was scheduled to play Harvard on Saturday 4/4. SU was scheduled to play Albany on Friday 4/3
2019 - game was played on Tuesday 4/9 at SU. Cornell played Saturday 4/6 vs Harvard. SU played Hobart on Tuesday 4/1.
2018 - game was played on Tuesday 4/10 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/7 vs Harvard. SU played Tuesday 4/3 vs Hobart.
2017 - game was played on Tuesday 4/11 at SU. Cornell played Saturday 4/8 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/5 vs Hobart
2016 - game was played on Tuesday 4/12 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/9 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/6 vs Hobart
2015 - game was played on Sunday 2/15 at SU. It was Cornell's opening game. SU played Saturday 2/7 vs Colgate.
2014 - game was played on Tuesday 4/8 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/5 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/2 vs Binghamton

2013 was the last time Cornell and Syracuse played on Tuesday after both teams played the preceding Saturday.

So for 8 consecutive games, Syracuse played Cornell with an advantage, either in terms of longer rest between games or by playing Cornell with a game under its belt in 2015. Plus Cornell has played a league rival the preceding Saturday almost every season while Syracuse mostly played a non-league game vs a local team the prior Tuesday or Wednesday. Syracuse has not played Co

This took place in a sport where people are claiming that the team that plays the early semifinal game two hours earlier has a tremendous advantage in the championship game.
Also relevant to this discussion is the challenge Cornell faces due to Ivy scheduling restrictions, particularly the late start date relative to other teams. There are fewer dates to play between the first game of the season and Memorial Day [see 2015 above when Cornell opened a week later than Syracuse. [Syracuse actuallly played Sienna on 2/7; Colgate appears on the Orange archived schedule on May2]
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Does anyone know when the last time was the Cornell didn't play Syracuse in a regular season game? Not counting COVID-year, obviously.

Pretty shocking development...

EDIT: nvm; looks like it was 1978, the year they lost to Hopkins in the final to end their 3-year winning streak. So they've played them every year since 1979. 40+ years; sad to see that streak end.
Last edited by ICGrad on Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Freshman attack, Matt Perfetto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ieMSDogjc
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:47 pm Does anyone know when the last time was the Cornell didn't play Syracuse in a regular season game? Not counting COVID-year, obviously.

EDIT: nvm; looks like it was 1978, the year they lost to Hopkins in the final to end their 3-year winning streak. So they've played them every year since 1979. 40+ years; sad to see that streak end.
Syracuse was not competitive for a few years in the mid 70's.

BTW, Nice run by the Bombers in football.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

For what it is worth, some "reporting" on Adler:

"Bowen, Adler & Makar, My 1st Team Preseason Defensive All-Americans in 2023 (LaxFactor Podcast #222)"

Time to discuss the three defenders that I believe will end up being the 1st-Team All Americans in Division I come the end of 2023. No hot takes, just some good ol fashioned prognostication that I think most will agree with overall. We're going to talk about a guy from Georgetown (Will Bowen), a guy from Cornell (Gavin Adler), and a guy from Maryland (Brett Makar).

All three of these guys were 1st-Team All Americans in 2022, so this isn't a hot take, and Cole Kastner (Virginia) is the only other guy I think that is legit in the mix in 2023. Will Bowen is a lock for 1st-Team and probably will repeat as Defensive Player of the Year. I think Makar's longevity as a starter of every game in his career at Maryland is going to help him. Adler will likely also improve and pick up a 1st spot. But if anyone is going to end up on the 1st-Team that isn't one of my top 3, it's Kastner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdzfcC-N3v4
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:51 pm Syracuse was not competitive for a few years in the mid 70's.

Thanks...after a few years of knocking on the door, good to break through. Been a bit tougher to earn the AQ from the LL than it was in the E8. Here's hoping they can build on that in the future.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:08 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:51 pm Syracuse was not competitive for a few years in the mid 70's.

Thanks...after a few years of knocking on the door, good to break through. Been a bit tougher to earn the AQ from the LL than it was in the E8. Here's hoping they can build on that in the future.
Not so fast my friend!

Though our HC (former lacrosse player of note) is not as good as the prior coach and wasting a ton of elite talent but as long as I’ll recall my HS QB (Abr Ceasay) being a college opponent and doing work on us I will be working towards putting IC down.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
wrapcheque

Post by wrapcheque »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:47 pm Does anyone know when the last time was the Cornell didn't play Syracuse in a regular season game? Not counting COVID-year, obviously.

They did not play in '77 and '78.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Unfortunate we will not play SU in the regular season, it’s hard for me to believe Cornell was the primary factor for this considering how we have scheduled in the past to accommodate.

4 returning players in the top 50 with 2 in the top 5 and Long is likely close behind. I’m excited to see how our defense comes together with Adler, Follows and likely Staub led by a seasoned field captain in goal, this could be one of our best defensive units ever with a Strong attack and I believe a very good first line midfield with a good and stronger than usual second line.

As always FO will be a big factor, does Petrakis continue his nice improvement and do we add depth and style diversity with new recruits
Including 5 star recruit and LI 2021 Football Thorp award winner Jack Cascadden.

Lombardi, Coyle, Davis, Holmes, Sheehan and Wirtheim along with Bryant transfer and Brian Piatelli could be big contributors as well.

We will not catch anyone sleeping, but do we need to?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

wrapcheque wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:58 pm

Any idea why?

Looks like before that two year hiatus, they played every year from 1946 forward (they had a similar 2-year break in '44 and '45, presumably because of WWII).

So they've played every year but two in the last 70+ seasons. Probably not the end of the world that they're taking a little break, but it's always one to look forward to.
Last edited by ICGrad on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:38 pm
wrapcheque wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:58 pm

Any idea why?

Looks like before that two year hiatus, they played every year from 1946 forward (they had a similar 2-year break in '44 and '45, presumably because of WWII).

So they've played every year but two in the last 70+ seasons. Probably not the end of the world that they're taking a little break, but it's always one to look forward to.
The 1976 game was very lopsided (24-6 Cornell). A Syracuse poster a few years ago indicated that the Orange wanted to rebuild a bit before re-starting the series. I recall the 1976 game, but I don't know if the "rebuilding" comment is accurate. The 1979 game was won by Cornell 10-6, which was a much more even score.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:00 am
The 1976 game was very lopsided (24-6 Cornell). A Syracuse poster a few years ago indicated that the Orange wanted to rebuild a bit before re-starting the series. I recall the 1976 game, but I don't know if the "rebuilding" comment is accurate. The 1979 game was won by Cornell 10-6, which was a much more even score.
Makes sense. Thanks!
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Trying to keep this thread on the first page here, so for what this is worth:

Lacrosse Film Review: Cornell Lacrosse Will Be Dirty In 2023 Thanks To CJ Kirst, Gavin Adler & Co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W3joR1rb7c
another fan

Post by another fan »

Duke Reeder, a touted prep lacrosse player who committed to Cornell, but later chose to walk on at Stanford football, is returning to Cornell to play lacrosse. Big, athletic D.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

another fan wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:19 pm Duke Reeder, a touted prep lacrosse player who committed to Cornell, but later chose to walk on at Stanford football, is returning to Cornell to play lacrosse. Big, athletic D.
Big kid!

https://gostanford.com/sports/football/ ... eder/18117
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Last evening, Coach Richie Moran's widow Pat passed away. Pat played an indispensable role in the success of Coach's teams and was the power behind the scenes who was instrumental in facilitating Coach's ability to succeed. She will be missed but is now back together with Coach after a short 8 month separation. Rest in peace Pat Smith Moran.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:19 pm Last evening, Coach Richie Moran's widow Pat passed away. Pat played an indispensable role in the success of Coach's teams and was the power behind the scenes who was instrumental in facilitating Coach's ability to succeed. She will be missed but is now back together with Coach after a short 8 month separation. Rest in peace Pat Smith Moran.
Thanks for sharing 1313. A wonderful woman and amazing role model. Many happy memories.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

RIP Pat Moran, the only person that could chastise Coach and get away with it. I recall a few eye rolls at various banquets as Richie was telling his stories. So glad that Army head coach Alberici played Richie/Pat's grandson Ryan Sposito last fall in the game at Cornell to the delight of the two.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

CU88 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:44 pm
another fan wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:19 pm Duke Reeder, a touted prep lacrosse player who committed to Cornell, but later chose to walk on at Stanford football, is returning to Cornell to play lacrosse. Big, athletic D.
Big kid!

https://gostanford.com/sports/football/ ... eder/18117
When I read that a Stanford linebacker was transferring to play lacrosse, I thought he must be transferring to somewhere he can play as grad student. This ruled Cornell out of the picture. Then here I was pleasantly surprised to learn Duke Reeder transferred to Cornell.

But nonetheless, I was right. Ricky Miezan transferred from Stanford to Virginia as a fifth-year.

Turns out that two Stanford linebackers transferred to play lacrosse. Unlike Miezan, Reeder is a 2021 HS graduate and, therefore, a sophomore. He played both LSM & D in high school, and should find playing time this spring.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”