Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chousnake

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:52 pm Cornell's 2023 Lax schedule is now on the Athletic Department's website.
The out-of-conference schedule includes Colgate/H, Albany/A, Lehigh/H, Hobart/A, Ohio State/A, Penn State/H, Marquette/H, and Army/A.
One (very) notable exception - no Syracuse. I can only assume that there were scheduling challenges (i.e., available dates for non-conference games) and that neither team would agree to the other's alternative dates.
The traditional date of the SU game - the Tuesday after the Harvard game - April 11- is open on Syracuse's schedule. Cornell is playing Marquette on that date. Syracuse plays Princeton on April 8 and UNC on April 15. I'm not sure why Syracuse is not scheduled instead of Marquette. I would assume that Marquette was added on 4/11 to replace the Syracuse game after it could not be scheduled, but I don't know for sure. In the most recent years (back to 2014) when the game was played, Syracuse had an open date the preceding Saturday (while Cornell did not). I'm wondering if Syracuse did not want to play Cornell midweek after a game the preceding Saturday. In any event, it is a shame the game is not being played, both for the loss of the rivalry and for SOS for Cornell.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:42 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:52 pm Cornell's 2023 Lax schedule is now on the Athletic Department's website.
The out-of-conference schedule includes Colgate/H, Albany/A, Lehigh/H, Hobart/A, Ohio State/A, Penn State/H, Marquette/H, and Army/A.
One (very) notable exception - no Syracuse. I can only assume that there were scheduling challenges (i.e., available dates for non-conference games) and that neither team would agree to the other's alternative dates.
The traditional date of the SU game - the Tuesday after the Harvard game - April 11- is open on Syracuse's schedule. Cornell is playing Marquette on that date. Syracuse plays Princeton on April 8 and UNC on April 15. I'm not sure why Syracuse is not scheduled instead of Marquette. I would assume that Marquette was added on 4/11 to replace the Syracuse game after it could not be scheduled, but I don't know for sure. In the most recent years (back to 2014) when the game was played, Syracuse had an open date the preceding Saturday (while Cornell did not). I'm wondering if Syracuse did not want to play Cornell midweek after a game the preceding Saturday. In any event, it is a shame the game is not being played, both for the loss of the rivalry and for SOS for Cornell.
I'm not an expert on the various calculations that go into evaluations of teams, but this looks like a less challenging schedule than in recent years. Facing Syracuse really made a difference. This year, I expect Syracuse to be much better than last year.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

'Just a guess on my part, but Cornell has "traditionally" (i.e., recent years) played Syracuse on the Tuesday following it's Saturday game vs. Harvard. Except for last season when, for some reason, the two teams played on Monday night. Cornell had only one day between games, a day on which they cannot practice.
Perhaps Cornell had no appetite to repeat this rather disadvantageous turnaround. And as stated by faircornell, Syracuse preferred to focus on its upcoming ACC rivals.

Relative to strength of schedule, it remains to be seen whether this year's schedule is (somewhat) less challenging. Yes, at face value, substituting Marquette for Syracuse on paper would appear to be an "easier" game. However, Penn State has to be better than last season's dumpster fire and the Ivies may be even better than last season. Yale in particular, on the road, with a loaded offense. Also, Ohio State in Columbus is not exactly a milk run of an away game. And I'm sure than Coach Myers will not have to hunt for bulletin board motivational material to get his players riled up. I think Cornell has beaten the Buckeyes at least 4 times in a row since getting shellacked by OSU in the first round of the NCAA's at Schoellkopf in 2008.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I agree that the Ivies will be extremely tough, as will PSU. I imagine that when the Syracuse game wasn't possible, Marquette might have been all that was available. All these teams are good and can be challenging. No disrespect to anyone intended.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

My guess re Syracuse is that Cornell grew tired of the scheduling gamesmanship. Last season they required the game to be on Monday night instead of Tuesday night, after we had to play Harvard two days earlier. The excuse I heard was the need for an extra day to prepare the Carrier Dome for a Monster Truck event, an excuse that was bogus. Then there have been the recent years when Syracuse didn't schedule a game the previous weekend giving them 10 days to prepare while Cornell had 3 days. The out of conference schedule is good enough and the focus will be on Ivy Tourney seeding as always. Starting at home with a scrimmage against Colgate which will probably have more preparation time will be a good test for our new A.D. to see, since she comes from Colgate. I'm recalling 2015 when Matt Kerwick scheduled the first game at Syracuse (another scheduling issue). The first five games, at Albany, hosting Lehigh, at Hobart, at Ohio State and hosting Penn State will be a tough test. As always, the Big Red must win those first games. They'll be ready!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Why do you say it was bogus? Cuse has been known to use gamesmanship but if there was a big truck event that day ….
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxfan1313 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 pm My guess re Syracuse is that Cornell grew tired of the scheduling gamesmanship. Last season they required the game to be on Monday night instead of Tuesday night, after we had to play Harvard two days earlier. The excuse I heard was the need for an extra day to prepare the Carrier Dome for a Monster Truck event, an excuse that was bogus. Then there have been the recent years when Syracuse didn't schedule a game the previous weekend giving them 10 days to prepare while Cornell had 3 days. The out of conference schedule is good enough and the focus will be on Ivy Tourney seeding as always. Starting at home with a scrimmage against Colgate which will probably have more preparation time will be a good test for our new A.D. to see, since she comes from Colgate. I'm recalling 2015 when Matt Kerwick scheduled the first game at Syracuse (another scheduling issue). The first five games, at Albany, hosting Lehigh, at Hobart, at Ohio State and hosting Penn State will be a tough test. As always, the Big Red must win those first games. They'll be ready!
You guys will be fine against Bart this year. Should just send the FR swuad over for an easy time.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:59 am Why do you say it was bogus? Cuse has been known to use gamesmanship but if there was a big truck event that day ….
A monster truck event was scheduled at the Carrier Dome for the following Saturday. Research revealed that 3 days are needed (not 4 days) to prepare the venue including bringing in all the dirt and arranging it. So the game could have been played Tuesday evening as usual and the venue could have been ready by Friday.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Research also revealed that there were pre main event activities on Friday.
Hard core fans could come in and drool over the big trucks and meet pit
crews and the like prior to the main event. Just all part of the Monster
Truck Week End. The conspiracy theory is nonsense.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This is all I need to know about monster trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XwQcfZQtw
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:43 am This is all I need to know about monster trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XwQcfZQtw
You're on the clock in the fantasy lacrosse draft
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:16 am Research also revealed that there were pre main event activities on Friday.
Hard core fans could come in and drool over the big trucks and meet pit
crews and the like prior to the main event. Just all part of the Monster
Truck Week End. The conspiracy theory is nonsense.
I call BS on this comment by the champion BSer. When this issue was being discussed in the Spring, you never brought up these comments. It's a little late in the year to revise history. In fact, the pre main events occurred on Saturday from 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM and the event started at 7PM Saturday. See link: https://www.oneidadispatch.com/2022/03/ ... his-april/
DMac

Post by DMac »

I did bring them up and out of respect for the reasonable and gentlemanly posters on the Cornell thread (which is why I deleted my original post telling you what an incessant whiner you are who sees Cornell v the rest of the world that is always trying to shaft them in one way or another) I backed it out and let your "my guess" (which is bullschidt) post stand.
Carry on with your standard childishness and pizzin' and moanin', I won't be back to engage with you.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:01 pm I did bring them up and out of respect for the reasonable and gentlemanly posters on the Cornell thread (which is why I deleted my original post telling you what an incessant whiner you are who sees Cornell v the rest of the world that is always trying to shaft them in one way or another) I backed it out and let your "my guess" (which is bullschidt) post stand.
Carry on with your standard childishness and pizzin' and moanin', I won't be back to engage with you.
Notice no rebuttal. You can rant and rave about me all you want and use misspelled curse words to your heart's content. The fact remains the game could have been played on Tuesday night. Despite the Orange gamesmanship, Cornell won the game. Facts aren't whining.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:01 pm I did bring them up and out of respect for the reasonable and gentlemanly posters on the Cornell thread (which is why I deleted my original post telling you what an incessant whiner you are who sees Cornell v the rest of the world that is always trying to shaft them in one way or another) I backed it out and let your "my guess" (which is bullschidt) post stand.
Whether you like it or not, there is a clear pattern that Syracuse does not want to play Cornell on short(er) rest (on a weekday after a Saturday game).

2022 - game is played Monday 4/11 at Syracuse. Cornell played Saturday 4/9 vs Harvard. Syracuse played Thursday 4/7 vs Albany.
2020 - game was scheduled for Tuesday 4/7 at Cornell (cancelled). Cornell was scheduled to play Harvard on Saturday 4/4. SU was scheduled to play Albany on Friday 4/3
2019 - game was played on Tuesday 4/9 at SU. Cornell played Saturday 4/6 vs Harvard. SU played Hobart on Tuesday 4/1.
2018 - game was played on Tuesday 4/10 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/7 vs Harvard. SU played Tuesday 4/3 vs Hobart.
2017 - game was played on Tuesday 4/11 at SU. Cornell played Saturday 4/8 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/5 vs Hobart
2016 - game was played on Tuesday 4/12 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/9 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/6 vs Hobart
2015 - game was played on Sunday 2/15 at SU. It was Cornell's opening game. SU played Saturday 2/7 vs Colgate.
2014 - game was played on Tuesday 4/8 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/5 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/2 vs Binghamton

2013 was the last time Cornell and Syracuse played on Tuesday after both teams played the preceding Saturday.

So for 8 consecutive games, Syracuse played Cornell with an advantage, either in terms of longer rest between games or by playing Cornell with a game under its belt in 2015. Plus Cornell has played a league rival the preceding Saturday almost every season while Syracuse mostly played a non-league game vs a local team the prior Tuesday or Wednesday.

This took place in a sport where people are claiming that the team that plays the early semifinal game two hours earlier has a tremendous advantage in the championship game.
Last edited by Chousnake on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I find it very hard to believe that Cuse manipulates the schedule to their liking and Cornell's only choice in the matter is to bend over and take it. I'd also be very surprised if there weren't several considerations involved in the scheduling (none of which will show up on your list of scheduled games) and the two schools don't do their best to come to a mutual agreement.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:53 pm
Whether you like it or not, there is a clear pattern that Syracuse does not want to play Cornell on short(er) rest (on a weekday after a Saturday game).

2022 - game is played Monday 4/11 at Syracuse. Cornell played Saturday 4/9 vs Harvard. Syracuse played Thursday 4/7 vs Albany.
2020 - game was scheduled for Tuesday 4/7 at Cornell (cancelled). Cornell was scheduled to play Harvard on Saturday 4/4. SU was scheduled to play Albany on Friday 4/3
2019 - game was played on Tuesday 4/9 at SU. Cornell played Saturday 4/6 vs Harvard. SU played Hobart on Tuesday 4/1.
2018 - game was played on Tuesday 4/10 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/7 vs Harvard. SU played Tuesday 4/3 vs Hobart.
2017 - game was played on Tuesday 4/11 at SU. Cornell played Saturday 4/8 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/5 vs Hobart
2016 - game was played on Tuesday 4/12 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/9 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/6 vs Hobart
2015 - game was played on Sunday 2/15 at SU. It was Cornell's opening game. SU played Saturday 2/7 vs Colgate.
2014 - game was played on Tuesday 4/8 at CU. Cornell played Saturday 4/5 vs Harvard. SU played Wednesday 4/2 vs Binghamton

2013 was the last time Cornell and Syracuse played on Tuesday after both teams played the preceding Saturday.

So for 8 consecutive games, Syracuse played Cornell with an advantage, either in terms of longer rest between games or by playing Cornell with a game under its belt in 2015. Plus Cornell has played a league rival the preceding Saturday almost every season while Syracuse mostly played a non-league game vs a local team the prior Tuesday or Wednesday. Syracuse has not played Co

This took place in a sport where people are claiming that the team that plays the early semifinal game two hours earlier has a tremendous advantage in the championship game.
+100
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:53 pm

So for 8 consecutive games, Syracuse played Cornell with an advantage, either in terms of longer rest between games or by playing Cornell with a game under its belt in 2015. Plus Cornell has played a league rival the preceding Saturday almost every season while Syracuse mostly played a non-league game vs a local team the prior Tuesday or Wednesday. Syracuse has not played Co

What about my boys in the real Orange and Purple who eat a** and have to put both in a 5-7 day stretch most of the time? Used to have it wrapped around games with PSU and GTown 10-15yrs ago. Not sure even in the less close matches that Hobart has been an easy out for Cuse most years.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Even the die hard "Syracuse.com" noted the absence of Cornell on the schedule. Whatever the reason, it's unfortunate. This game would be a great one to see for the 2023 season.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Switching gears a bit to the addition to the Big Red's schedule, Marquette seems like they may have a pretty strong team this year -- they really took it to Yale in a fall ball game in October. Although Yale was missing some projected 2023 starters, they had plenty of returning guys out on the field and the Bulldogs were thoroughly outplayed by Marquette.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”