Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

Post by Cletus »

Maryland75 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:10 pm Cletus, of course Syracuse was ecstatic over getting their 2nd win ever over Maryland. In a season that really didn’t count since it wasn’t completed. They are now 2-20 vs the Terps. Do you think it’s time to let it go?
Wow--you really can't stand to see someone else enjoy a win at the Terps expense, can you. It's gotta be the Mighty Terps reigning or no one's allowed any fun. If all is well with TL in health and life then he can't stand it either.

And this is, after all, Sports we're talking about! That's what people do when they talk about sports. They bring up games from the past, players from the past, great plays from the past. We like to enjoy the history as well as the current day. We enjoy kicking up some long gone play or committee vote that was controversial. That's what sports talk looks like. That's what we're doing here. No one is forcing you to join in the revelry. This isn't Facebook, Maryland75. I didn't tag you with my original post, nor did I quote you. But I get it--you're...(fanfare).. Defending the Wall.

I posted this today because Meaghan Tyrrell, a stud attacker for Syracuse, named the game this whole long thread is about, today, as the most satisfying win of her career during a joint interview with teammate Meg Carney. That is worth noting--here. Had you been there, would you have asked Meaghan if it was time to let it go? Then tell her the win was tainted because the season didn't really count and then rub her nose in the 2-20 stat?

Truth be told, I thought DMac might get a kick out of it, since he is the author of this topic.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Thanks for mansplaining what sports talk is. My issue is not what joy Syracuse players derived from their victory over Maryland but your excessive hatred towards Maryland, their lacrosse program and their fans. I don’t expect the Women’s team to win the championship every year (God know’s after waiting 42 years for them to win their 3rd championship). You seem to regal in Maryland having two average years when they’ve been the Gold standard for so many decades.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Maryland75 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:59 pm Thanks for mansplaining what sports talk is. My issue is not what joy Syracuse players derived from their victory over Maryland but your excessive hatred towards Maryland, their lacrosse program and their fans. I don’t expect the Women’s team to win the championship every year (God know’s after waiting 42 years for them to win their 3rd championship). You seem to regal in Maryland having two average years when they’ve been the Gold standard for so many decades.
Please point out to me the "excessive hatred towards Maryland, their lacrosse program and their fans" in this post.
Cletus wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 pm Megan Carney and Meaghan Tyrrell were on a live broadcast this afternoon. When asked which team win each player found most satisfying – Meaghan Tyrrell named this game. Pretty cool.
I would be extend that question to any of my previous posts, as well. Please point out to me anything I have ever written that demonstrated "excessive hatred towards Maryland, their lacrosse program and their fans"
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Are you kidding? Review your many posts on Maryland fans, players, coaches etc. I don’t have the time to review all of your ramblings!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Maryland75 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:27 pm Are you kidding? Review your many posts on Maryland fans, players, coaches etc. I don’t have the time to review all of your ramblings!

Let's bury the hatchet, Maryland--whuddaya say--truce?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

This was one of the most compelling threads ever started on the WD1 board. All kinds of folks weighed in on the controversy which became known as SnowGait. (Pretty sure DMac gets the credit for coining that nifty moniker). There was even a parent of a well known Northwestern player at the time chiming in. In any event--well worth a read from the beginning. Lots of interesting back and forth about all the goings on.

I'm posting this here for posterity. We were all wondering if the game would be televised/streamed due to having it moved from Syracuse to Maryland on such short notice. Thankfully, Maryland did beam the game with field mics, sans announcers (which is actually pretty cool to hear how loud the players get when their teammates score.) Little clip of the game for history's sake.

Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^^^
Great shot of the endless nattys and of beautiful Old Bay field in the woods!

That’s why lacrosse royalty has the most top 50 players and the number 1 incoming class. It’s just irresistible and beautiful!
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:37 am ^^^^

That’s why lacrosse royalty has the most top 50 players and the number 1 incoming class. It’s just irresistible and beautiful!
How nauseating! This force fed #1 class mirage continues. Add a sprinkle of old bay into that koolaid. Not to be confused with the over hyped 21 class. Cry me a River for the injuries that stopped that group from making the difference. The difference was Cordingley!!! She came to the rescue and carried the heavy water for last years squad. #21, the original Cardinal commit, was the only real deal player of the 21’s. Like Cordingley she wasn’t in the recruiting plans at the beginning of picking that class.
The over hyped, all everything, next great Maryland goalie, didn’t like the idea of daily competition, and left to under achieve at Clemson. Plenty of the “next” Terp greats filled the portal. IL WOMENS next issue will be the MD portal superstars, I knew you when.

I bet the numeros MD greats that fill lists of All Timers list, didn’t quarterback their powerful High School team to mediocrity!! Winners find a way to lead. But at least they have a professional blogger to spin this greatness of this group. Time will tell.
Don’t call the sign guy yet, might want to play the games first.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Can't argue with you there, Fenny ol' bean--they have earned the title "Royalty".

Their rise to the throne was rocky in the early years. Interesting that they lost more final games than they won in the early days before Timchal arrived and changed things dramatically. Timchal began Maryland excellence and Reese has carried it on.

3-8 Maryland’s W/L record in 11 Final games up through 1994

Wins

’81 Ursinus (AIAW)
’86 Penn St
’92 Harvard

Losses

’78 Penn St (USWLA)
’80 Penn St (USWLA)
’82 Temple (AIAW)
’84 Temple
’85 New Hampshire
’90 Harvard
’91 Virginia
’94 Princeton
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:52 pm

How nauseating! This force fed #1 class mirage continues. Add a sprinkle of old bay into that koolaid. Not to be confused with the over hyped 21 class. Cry me a River for the injuries that stopped that group from making the difference. The difference was Cordingley!!! She came to the rescue and carried the heavy water for last years squad. #21, the original Cardinal commit, was the only real deal player of the 21’s. Like Cordingley she wasn’t in the recruiting plans at the beginning of picking that class.
The over hyped, all everything, next great Maryland goalie, didn’t like the idea of daily competition, and left to under achieve at Clemson. Plenty of the “next” Terp greats filled the portal. IL WOMENS next issue will be the MD portal superstars, I knew you when.

I bet the numeros MD greats that fill lists of All Timers list, didn’t quarterback their powerful High School team to mediocrity!! Winners find a way to lead. But at least they have a professional blogger to spin this greatness of this group. Time will tell.
Bosco
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:52 pm

File under: Right side of history
OuttaNowhereWregget

SnowGait Revisited...?

Wouldn't it be a gas to hear two former Syracuse players weigh in on this game--who played and scored goals in this game and helped the Orange to a victory over the Terps--say, on their own podcast, having since graduated, and under no further restraints to be, say, tactful or diplomatic in dishing on SnowGait? I'm sure there are some Orange fans out there who might be intrigued...

UO22

Post by UO22 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Gait fronted the expenses for this trip/game with his on credit card because of the pickle that MD put them in. The excuse from the Terp HC is that the weather was too crappy to travel which was complete BS. This was also Syracuse's scheduled senior day. I would love more context from Meg and Meg. Frankly, I am actually surprised that these 2 programs still play. I would love to see UNC, BC and Clemson on MD's schedule in the future, but that may adversely impact their playoff seeding. MD is definitely and the right side of history with Syracuse, but I get the sense the programs are going in different directions despite this year's result.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UO22 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:39 am Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Gait fronted the expenses for this trip/game with his on credit card because of the pickle that MD put them in. The excuse from the Terp HC is that the weather was too crappy to travel which was complete BS. This was also Syracuse's scheduled senior day. I would love more context from Meg and Meg. Frankly, I am actually surprised that these 2 programs still play. I would love to see UNC, BC and Clemson on MD's schedule in the future, but that may adversely impact their playoff seeding. MD is definitely and the right side of history with Syracuse, but I get the sense the programs are going in different directions despite this year's result.
Yes. I think Syracuse will win the Acc. Would probably finish 3rd or 4th in the B1G
OuttaNowhereWregget

It's coming...

Really looking forward to hearing the straight dope from the players who experienced SnowGait. They don't pull any punches on their pod cast--especially Meg Carney. This oughta be good...

jff97

Re: It's coming...

Post by jff97 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:27 pm Really looking forward to hearing the straight dope from the players who experienced SnowGait. They don't pull any punches on their pod cast--especially Meg Carney. This oughta be good...

While I'm sure this will be a good listen I don't understand your obsession with this game four years later. Seems like both teams have buried the hatchet and MD even went to Cuse two years in a row after the Orange had to do it because of this game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Twisting and distorting on Fanlax--par for the course

Way to skew a natural curiosity regarding an intriguing topic into something ugly. I guess the Meg's are obsessed, as well. Obviously there’s still interest and heat regarding the details of this game four years later with them too, as evidenced by Carney’s own words and Tyrrell's follow up comment:

Carney - “…Maryland--got some beef with them because of when they cancelled one of our games so we drove down there and played them at home…that is a story for another time when we have more time.”

Tyrrell - “It’s a good one too, so—you’ll want to hear it.”

"Got some beef with them" doesn't sound like a buried hatchet to me. Maybe she never got the memo. Further, note Carney's choice of words: not had a beef with them, got a beef with them. You're obviously a writer so I don't need to explain the differences in tense...or do I?

Interesting that they would want to devote more time, four years later, to the telling of this story. Your decision to use "buried the hatchet" is telling, also. You confirm by your choice of idiom that there were indeed hard feelings outsurrounding this noteworthy moment in women's lacrosse history.

As for your struggle to grasp why I’m still inappropriately intrigued by this game, I'd suggest you read the entire topic from beginning to end--all 16 pages. If you still can't wrap your head around why I'm intrigued to hear the players candidly weigh in (one seldom, if ever, hears any safe, canned responses from the Meg's) on SnowGait four years later, for the first time since the event--I have no interest in spelling it out for you any further.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

UO22 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:39 am Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Gait fronted the expenses for this trip/game with his on credit card because of the pickle that MD put them in. The excuse from the Terp HC is that the weather was too crappy to travel which was complete BS. This was also Syracuse's scheduled senior day. I would love more context from Meg and Meg. Frankly, I am actually surprised that these 2 programs still play. I would love to see UNC, BC and Clemson on MD's schedule in the future, but that may adversely impact their playoff seeding. MD is definitely and the right side of history with Syracuse, but I get the sense the programs are going in different directions despite this year's result.
I might be one of the only ones who doesn’t understand why no one likes programs Maryland or Stony Brook or similar who get heat on these boards. You mentioned playing UNC or Clemson, those teams are also struggling within their own schedules to win games that matter. Maryland, Stony Brook, Loyola, JHU, pick a school, could beat them. If this year has proven anything is that anyone can win any game, anywhere. All teams have “the next best thing” 5 star recruits and they are all winning or losing by a goal. If nothing else it’s made this year so much more exciting than years past.
Next year kids will graduate, new blood shows up, and the cycle begins again.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”