LA 2028

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: LA 2028

Post by Relax77 »

njbill wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:07 pm I’m conflicted about the sixes being in the Olympics. I guess I am 51% for and 49% against. Don’t like the bastardized version of the game one bit, but you take what you can get.

Also, isn’t this simply an exhibition sport of the type that the host country gets? Unless I miss my bet, this is one and done for 2028. Of course, the Olympic committee could always add the sport on a permanent basis, but I don’t think they’ve done that yet.

In terms of who picks the team, I would imagine it would go through US lacrosse. Track picks the track team. Basketball picks the basketball team. The Olympic committee doesn’t pick teams as far as I know.

So who gets on the team? Wouldn’t surprise me if some of the longtime stars are given spots (so they can say they are Olympians) as a reward for their long service to the game. This would be at the expense, perhaps, of some of the up and comers. Right? Wrong? Discuss among yourselves.
[/quote

+1. Nothing to add here.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

I mostly agree with NJBill. It’s fine. The sixes format has obviously and mentioned drawbacks. I like the potential international exposure it creates.

Maybe the sixes is the Olympic format and the World Lacrosse Championship continues more like soccer’s World Cup and is improved from the international exposure.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:02 pm I think it is great to have lacrosse in the Olympics and if the only way to do it is to play sixes, so be it. I've seen the sixes game played up close in person at the highest level and it was very exciting to watch. Obviously the olympic committee felt the same way. It is a step forward in growing the sport globally. I know firsthand that the players are excited. Believe it or not, most of the kids who have played sixes like it as well. The game will not change in the US. This will be a different version of the sport. No need to be so negative
Agreed. In an ideal world, I'd like it to be the field game for both men and women - but that version wasn't going to make it into the Olympics any time soon. A scaled-down, fast paced version was necessary to allow more countries to afford to field teams and and to keep viewer interest on TV. That second factor is just the unfortunately reality of the marketing/broadcast juggernaut that the Olympic Games have become.

My daughters and their friends are so psyched for lacrosse to be in the Olympics. Plus, they aren't nearly as negative about sixes as adults seem to be. :D They've seen games in person and on TV and think it looks like fun - one of our kids said she'd love to join a girls' sixes pickup league if one existed in our area.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Question - why sixes as opposed to a small sided game like 8 v 8 on a smaller field? In the Northeast, we have a lot of 8 v 8 tournaments often indoors. It’s closer to the game than 6s.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

lax410 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:43 pm Question - why sixes as opposed to a small sided game like 8 v 8 on a smaller field? In the Northeast, we have a lot of 8 v 8 tournaments often indoors. It’s closer to the game than 6s.
Ultimately because there are smaller roster. Olympics have a total roster cap. You couldn't do 8v8 well with a 12 person roster.
DMac

Post by DMac »

"Closer to the game" is a non-factor in the seemingly inexorable (am thinkin' you'll like that one, Sc) march to "grow the game".
Sacrificing three-quarters of the game is just collateral damage in the grand scheme of things.

I get why kids would like playing sixes and if ultimately this game gets more sticks in kids'/peoples' hands it's a good thing.
Calling sixes lacrosse is like calling pickle ball tennis though, there's way too much lacrosse not in this game.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:48 pm
lax410 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:43 pm Question - why sixes as opposed to a small sided game like 8 v 8 on a smaller field? In the Northeast, we have a lot of 8 v 8 tournaments often indoors. It’s closer to the game than 6s.
Ultimately because there are smaller roster. Olympics have a total roster cap. You couldn't do 8v8 well with a 12 person roster.
Tell me about the caps and needing only a 12 person roster. Soccer seems to have large rosters.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Baseball and softball, what's the roster size there?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

DMac wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:24 am Baseball and softball, what's the roster size there?
25 for baseball. I think 20 for softball

That's why neither of those sports are in the Olympics moving forward. Other than soccer, Rugby and Basketball are now the largest team sport now with 12 players on the roster, (plus 2 alternates for rugby).
DMac

Post by DMac »

So baseball and softball get a one time shot and then they're out?
Maybe they should adjust their games to HR Derby and call it
baseball/softball to stay in?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:58 pm "Closer to the game" is a non-factor in the seemingly inexorable (am thinkin' you'll like that one, Sc) march to "grow the game".
Sacrificing three-quarters of the game is just collateral damage in the grand scheme of things.

I get why kids would like playing sixes and if ultimately this game gets more sticks in kids'/peoples' hands it's a good thing.
Calling sixes lacrosse is like calling pickle ball tennis though, there's way too much lacrosse not in this game.
Thanks DMac. Yup, that's a good word to describe it.

I totally get that people and the kids are excited about having lacrosse in the Olympics. I just don't care for Sixes, and think it is a diluted version of our sport. I wish I could have the equanimity of NJBill and others, but I am just an ardent follower of the full field, with a draw, game. I think the discussion of who might "make the team" actually is suggestive of the deformed limitations of ^V^ and no draw; look at the players we will leave out of the mix.

Anyway, enough on this. I will watch the sport, cheer for the players, and hope that someday the whole game get in.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Can you guys calm down with some of these words. Had to use the dictionary twice in the last hour.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, Seacoaster is terrific for improving your vocabulary (inexorable came from him).
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I'm with D. I find it enjoyable to learn new words. It's especially rewarding when a new word comes full circle from being learned to being used appropriately in a sentence.

Additionally, Seacoaster's always an entertaining read--as is DMac.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:39 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:58 pm "Closer to the game" is a non-factor in the seemingly inexorable (am thinkin' you'll like that one, Sc) march to "grow the game".

Thanks DMac. Yup, that's a good word to describe it.

I totally get that people and the kids are excited about having lacrosse in the Olympics. I just don't care for Sixes, and think it is a diluted version of our sport. I wish I could have the equanimity of NJBill and others, but I am just an ardent follower of the full field, with a draw, game. I think the discussion of who might "make the team" actually is suggestive of the deformed limitations of ^V^ and no draw; look at the players we will leave out of the mix.

Anyway, enough on this. I will watch the sport, cheer for the players, and hope that someday the whole game get in.
i'm with you. There is so much more to lacrosse that you miss out on under the sixes format. I'd be more okay with changing rules to make it more internationally friendly as opposed to sixes. maybe even shorten quarters or halves since they want a faster quicker game. But in the olympics air time is very limited with a million other events. Sadly i believe lacrosse's inclusion into the olympics was contingent on it being based on the sixes format
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

KAH is ok with it.

https://t.co/arvXDp3Zeh

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”