RIP Cabrini

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Carroll81

Re: RIP Cabrini

Post by Carroll81 »

relaxedfan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:01 pm Do Cabrini grads get to say they went to Villanova now? Silver lining if so.
Unfortunately not. The schools that are offering to transfer credits directly are Holy Family University in Philadelphia, Gwynedd Mercy University in Gwynedd Valley, and Eastern University in St. Davids.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:46 pm ...have all contributed to exacerbate in a very meaningful way, an acceleration of the inevitable.
Agreed.

Cabrini has been running at a significant deficit for over a decade now. Certainly COVID did them no favors in digging their way out of that.

My alma mater is facing similar (though not as severe) enrollment issues and has recently made significant cuts in programs/faculty. I think they have a healthier endowment, but like many colleges they used the uptick in enrollment predicated by the last big recession to invest in infrastructure, and as a result, have a good amount of debt remaining from those initiatives. It's a scary time...
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:31 pm This is like losing a loved one. We were aware of the financial difficulties, but this is the worst case scenario. It's really hard to swallow. That campus, those stunning acres. That place was flawed like we were, academically, athletically, socially. It was gritty, and not in the overused way. It was this weird thing. We earned everything we got on the field and cheated where we could in the classroom. We played chippy, we weren't blue bloods or saints. We attracted like minded, hard, morally similar people. Mostly Long Island and Delaware County, PA players. Savages, vagabonds, overlooked, underexposed, second chances, dropouts from bigger names. But it served us and we poured ourselves into it. And we loved it, and hated it. We reveled in it. Our connections and relationships were visceral and enduring. Our stories are vulgar and hilarious. The tailgate and post-game in 2019 were filled with the flaws. Beautiful, deep cutting, connective, honest flaws. I loved/love all of it like I do my own children. I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't change a moment. It was who we were and are.
This is evocative prose, my friend. Good stuff. What JR Moehringer did for a Long Island watering hole, you are doing for a riding dirty lacrosse program.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

21 NCAA invites for the men
18 NCAA invites for the women,
just behind Gettysburg in terms of Pennsylvania schools.

Cabrini is the last Pennsylvania school to win an NCAA title.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:31 pm This is like losing a loved one. We were aware of the financial difficulties, but this is the worst case scenario. It's really hard to swallow. That campus, those stunning acres. That place was flawed like we were, academically, athletically, socially. It was gritty, and not in the overused way. It was this weird thing. We earned everything we got on the field and cheated where we could in the classroom. We played chippy, we weren't blue bloods or saints. We attracted like minded, hard, morally similar people. Mostly Long Island and Delaware County, PA players. Savages, vagabonds, overlooked, underexposed, second chances, dropouts from bigger names. But it served us and we poured ourselves into it. And we loved it, and hated it. We reveled in it. Our connections and relationships were visceral and enduring. Our stories are vulgar and hilarious. The tailgate and post-game in 2019 were filled with the flaws. Beautiful, deep cutting, connective, honest flaws. I loved/love all of it like I do my own children. I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't change a moment. It was who we were and are.
Great stuff MVP.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:48 pm 21 NCAA invites for the men

ONLY PA school to win a lax title!!!
Nothinbutthelax wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:13 pm
Great stuff MVP.
I'll give you a harrumph for that!

As a 36 year alum that played soccer, before lacrosse ever existed at Cabrini. I'm devastated by the news. I feel like a great friend just died. I will never forget the many years I watched and cheered for all the programs at my Alma mater. Especially the 2011-12 men's bball team that finished as national runner's up and the 2019 lacrosse team that won it all in front of 18000 fans on home soil at the Linc. Our University's only national championship. One of my proudest moments of being an alumni was being among those cheering it on. I have one more year to cheer on my beloved Cavaliers. I'll be sad to see it end. But, As always GO CAVS!!!
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Sad day.

The 2019 Semifinal game vs. Salisbury was like a heavyweight boxing match. Both teams went punch for punch, with Cabrini just having more in the tank.
mailsy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 pm

Mercyhurst (Erie, PA) won the D2 title in 2011.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

D2fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:03 pm Sad day.

The 2019 Semifinal game vs. Salisbury was like a heavyweight boxing match. Both teams went punch for punch, with Cabrini just having more in the tank.

Oops. :oops: I forgot about them.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

On top of all this Colf resigned as head coach of Cabrini and takes the head coaching position at Episcopal Academy. I heard they may not even field a squad in 2024? Hope that is not true.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

D2fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:03 pm Sad day.

You had to rain on Cabrini Lax’s parade,

didn’t you 8-)
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

mailsy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:29 pm On top of all this Colf resigned as head coach of Cabrini and takes the head coaching position at Episcopal Academy. I heard they may not even field a squad in 2024? Hope that is not true.
It’s an understandable exodus. What player would willingly stay under these circumstances? Personally, and this is also the feeling of my fellow lax alums, we would rather not see a watered down team end our league winning streak under these terms. Preserve the legacy we all built. Let it end.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:27 am
mailsy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:29 pm On top of all this Colf resigned as head coach of Cabrini and takes the head coaching position at Episcopal Academy. I heard they may not even field a squad in 2024? Hope that is not true.
It’s an understandable exodus. What player would willingly stay under these circumstances? Personally, and this is also the feeling of my fellow lax alums, we would rather not see a watered down team end our league winning streak under these terms. Preserve the legacy we all built. Let it end.
That's a fair statement. I get that.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:27 am It’s an understandable exodus. What player would willingly stay under these circumstances?
I would imagine the exodus will include not just athletes but all students. I would imagine any student would look at this situation and wonder about whether paying a year of tuition at a pricey private school makes sense under these conditions.

For seniors, sure, but if I were an underclassman I'd be making other plans for Fall right about now.

I'd be interested to see statistics on enrollment in situations like this, where a school announces it is closing a year out. I would imagine it plummets. The Cabrini website still has a very prominent link regarding summer orientation; I wonder how many, if any, of their incoming commits will be matriculating.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

I don’t think, even watered down, Cabrini would have a problem winning the AEC. That league is awful.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Perhaps the best decision, whatever it may be, would take into consideration the current players on the team rather than the alumni.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Those boys, if they want to play. If they have nowhere else to go…they will see a fervent response. They will experience a supply of beer and love and hollering not seen at this level. Guaranteed. We’ll be there and we’ll roll deep. And we’ll give them the flowers. We ain’t posers man. We’re the genuine article. If they want to hunt one more year, then a let’s be 1 and effing 0.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Goddamn I can't sleep. I'm into my bourbon. I'm just looking for an outlet. And if you read this you're like 1/100000 of the lacrosse community. I'm just sick to my stomach. Unrelated to the drink. Related to the drink. Imagine you woke up, and this thing you loved, this place, this heavenly thing that scarred you and you ungratefully were apart of, that you followed, and embarrassingly praised, that you fought on behalf of, and fought directly...and that you referred...that you had to explain wasn't community college to anyone outside of the DIII lacrosse world, that you were oddly proud of, that spawned unwarranted disgust from well educated family, that induced understanding from locals, that grew because of you and in spite of you...that was just sentenced to death. That some unrelated entity that always saw itself as better than you without provocation, that found itself born with entitled self worth and importance (my wife went to Nova BTW) purchased you to fold into it's "success." Most of my fellow student athletes stood at the plate with an 0-2 count. We fought our way through. Some hit, some didn't. But it was our opportunity. My kids will be fine. My life will be fine. But I am not fine with this. I'm just heartbroken.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ty Xanders
@tyxanders

Jun 23
In case it's not clear, the transfer portal window for underclassmen is a DI specific rule.

Hearing that at least a half dozen @CabriniMLAX players have already entered the portal in light of today's shocking news about the school's future.
JuiceMan

Post by JuiceMan »

MVPiccoli wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:30 am Goddamn I can't sleep. I'm into my bourbon. I'm just looking for an outlet. And if you read this you're like 1/100000 of the lacrosse community. I'm just sick to my stomach. Unrelated to the drink. Related to the drink. Imagine you woke up, and this thing you loved, this place, this heavenly thing that scarred you and you ungratefully were apart of, that you followed, and embarrassingly praised, that you fought on behalf of, and fought directly...and that you referred...that you had to explain wasn't community college to anyone outside of the DIII lacrosse world, that you were oddly proud of, that spawned unwarranted disgust from well educated family, that induced understanding from locals, that grew because of you and in spite of you...that was just sentenced to death. That some unrelated entity that always saw itself as better than you without provocation, that found itself born with entitled self worth and importance (my wife went to Nova BTW) purchased you to fold into it's "success." Most of my fellow student athletes stood at the plate with an 0-2 count. We fought our way through. Some hit, some didn't. But it was our opportunity. My kids will be fine. My life will be fine. But I am not fine with this. I'm just heartbroken.
Lmao, dude grow up.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

JuiceMan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:16 am Lmao, dude grow up.
A little empathy costs you nothing.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”