Coaching Carousel-2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Njlaxx11

Re: Coaching Carousel-2022

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:57 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:47 am agree to disagree on jacksonville i guess. their inbound class only has 1 rated recruit, a 3 star. obviously IL rankings don't mean a whole lot but it's a point of reference.

j-ville had an impressive record at 14-3 but who was in that schedule matters. a bad loss against a bad hopkins team early in the year - and the ever famous small school beating duke in february. both teams (hop and duke) have proven to be subpar, not making the tourney. the SOCON isn't a good conference and j-ville couldn't win it.
Denver? Beat them too. Last year everyone is like “chemotti” only beat a big school once, then UVA this year. It’s called projecting.

But instead we “know” how good an assistant at Duke or UMD is going to be? Because the Yale assistants are killing it? Because Pat Myers at Laf? It’s all projection even assuming Torpey could do any better at another school. Jax and HPU are about the same as academic institutions-highly leveraged with few gating issues to get “student athletes” in so any issues Galloway would have at more selective, in demand institutions would be the same for Torpey.
denver also is a team that didn't play like they have in years past. not overly impressed with a win against denver.

2022: 14-3
2021: 7-7
2020: 3-3
2019: 6-9
2018: 8-7
2017: 3-11

not impressive to me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:11 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:47 am agree to disagree on jacksonville i guess. their inbound class only has 1 rated recruit, a 3 star. obviously IL rankings don't mean a whole lot but it's a point of reference.

j-ville had an impressive record at 14-3 but who was in that schedule matters. a bad loss against a bad hopkins team early in the year - and the ever famous small school beating duke in february. both teams (hop and duke) have proven to be subpar, not making the tourney. the SOCON isn't a good conference and j-ville couldn't win it.
Denver? Beat them too. Last year everyone is like “chemotti” only beat a big school once, then UVA this year. It’s called projecting.

But instead we “know” how good an assistant at Duke or UMD is going to be? Because the Yale assistants are killing it? Because Pat Myers at Laf? It’s all projection even assuming Torpey could do any better at another school. Jax and HPU are about the same as academic institutions-highly leveraged with few gating issues to get “student athletes” in so any issues Galloway would have at more selective, in demand institutions would be the same for Torpey.
denver also is a team that didn't play like they have in years past. not overly impressed with a win against denver.

not impressive to me.
How do you feel about Kevin Cassesse? See his record since 2014:

7-9
6-9
10-7
9-8
10-2
8-7

Polley

6-8
8-7
12-5
8-9
11-6
6-5

High Point looks the same with a bunch of +/-.500 seasons and a really bad 2017 around a excellent 2019 season.

It’s all about the same (I excluded 20 above because we have no idea how those seasons would’ve ended)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:31 am

not impressive to me.

7-9
6-9
10-7
9-8
10-2
8-7

Polley

6-8
8-7
12-5
8-9
11-6
6-5

High Point looks the same with a bunch of +/-.500 seasons and a really bad 2017 around a excellent 2019 season.

It’s all about the same (I excluded 20 above because we have no idea how those seasons would’ve ended)
+1 To me, the question is more, “how does Duke(or Hop or Denver) have a subpar year”?
Especially with the portal and their deep rosters. Personally, I’d take Galloway or Chemotti—and Torrey, too— over Danowski, Cassese, Milligan, Polley, and even Tierney.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:31 am

not impressive to me.

7-9
6-9
10-7
9-8
10-2
8-7

Polley

6-8
8-7
12-5
8-9
11-6
6-5

+1 To me, the question is more, “how does Duke(or Hop or Denver) have a subpar year”?
Especially with the portal and their deep rosters. Personally, I’d take Galloway or Chemotti—and Torpey, too— over Danowski, Cassese, Milliman, Polley, and even Tierney.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:28 am Not trying to rain on the John Galloway parade, but I am really confused at all of the hype. He had a very good year this year, one very good year. He hasn’t even come close to accomplishing anything like what Torpey at High Point and Chemotti at Richmond have done. I don’t believe they’ve even been to the NCAA tournament (something both Richmond and High Point have done multiple times).
No, they don’t yet even have players on the level of Asher Nolting
or Ryan Lanchbury.

But they are the latest and greatest up and comer.

Too bad they couldn’t keep the SoCon together,
Richmond, High Point, Jax, Air Force.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:50 am
10stone5 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:13 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:22 pm
getitdone wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:04 pm Are you forgetting about Matt Brown out at Denver-Heir apparent and deservedly so. J'Ville has had a truly great year for them. Let's not annoint them the 2nd coming. Win the conference tourney first maybe? FF next.
I am actually surprised that we have not heard anything out of Homewood speaking of flash in the pans.
When Dino retires, I think it will be very interesting to see if they go for Caputo, his son Matt, or a proven HC with Duke bloodlines. Now that will be interesting.

Best weekend in sports coming up. Enjoy
I think heir apparent candidates for jobs are problematic in general and many administrations are moving in this direction. If a guy leaves, regardless of his contribution over time, he’s gone. Shouldn’t really be allowed to pick a successor.

But yeah I thought of Brown. But it depends on how Tierney leaves.

Keep in mind with Galloway that Providendes best success was when he was assistant there prior to going to Jax.

And Jax’s class next year could easily be better than Denver’s. There’s some talent in there whether folks realize it or not.
Could be re: Jacksonville.

Here is one guy I’ve tracked somewhat, Edge Lacrosse who I’ve been touting as up there with Hill Academy as far as Canadian
talent.
6’2” 200 middie from Ontario,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ91vBiujik

And Jacksonville has Dom Petro’s running mate from
Boy’s Latin.
Will Hardy out of CNY is going to be a serious player for them as well. They’ve been very generous with financial aid to get kids. Very generous. It’s clearly important to the institution.
Hardy, I don’t know, but I’ll have to look.

I know they got Jackson Intrieri out of Wissahickon (SE PA) this
year, who had a tremendous year,
I’m not sure anyone was really looking at that kid other than he
was Kyle Lehman’s teammate.

Jacob Greiner is another SE PA player who slipped through the
normal SE PA recruiting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:32 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:28 am Not trying to rain on the John Galloway parade, but I am really confused at all of the hype. He had a very good year this year, one very good year. He hasn’t even come close to accomplishing anything like what Torpey at High Point and Chemotti at Richmond have done. I don’t believe they’ve even been to the NCAA tournament (something both Richmond and High Point have done multiple times).
No, they don’t yet even have players on the level of Asher Nolting
or Ryan Lanchbury.

But they are the latest and greatest up and comer.

Too bad they couldn’t keep the SoCon together,
Richmond, High Point, Jax, Air Force.
First two appear to be heading to A10 w UMass, FFD, St Joes, Bart, St Bonny. That’s going to be a fun conference like the ECAC or now semi gutted CAA.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:39 am
getitdone wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:04 pm Are you forgetting about Matt Brown out at Denver-Heir apparent and deservedly so. J'Ville has had a truly great year for them. Let's not annoint them the 2nd coming. Win the conference tourney first maybe? FF next.
I am actually surprised that we have not heard anything out of Homewood speaking of flash in the pans.
When Dino retires, I think it will be very interesting to see if they go for Caputo, his son Matt, or a proven HC with Duke bloodlines. Now that will be interesting.

I think heir apparent candidates for jobs are problematic in general and many administrations are moving in this direction. If a guy leaves, regardless of his contribution over time, he’s gone. Shouldn’t really be allowed to pick a successor.

Keep in mind with Galloway that Providendes best success was when he was assistant there prior to going to Jax.

And Jax’s class next year could easily be better than Denver’s. There’s some talent in there whether folks realize it or not.

Here is one guy I’ve tracked somewhat, Edge Lacrosse who I’ve been touting as up there with Hill Academy as far as Canadian
talent.

Boy’s Latin.
Will Hardy out of CNY is going to be a serious player for them as well. They’ve been very generous with financial aid to get kids. Very generous. It’s clearly important to the institution.

normal SE PA recruiting.
Intrieri looked great against Richmond. I believe Richmond and Bart end up competing hard on kids from what I’ve heard (w Richmond winning about 65-70% of those beauty contests at the moment).

Will is related to Dan of Cuse fame. From what I’ve been hearing folks are really down on Section 3 in CNY these days and it’s a baby/bath water situation. Kid is good. Cuse fans on their solo board are wondering why he isn’t going there. Granted they say that, “why didn’t we offer xxx” about every decent kid in CNY not going to Cuse, but this one is legit.

https://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/p ... /2020-2021
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri May 13, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

If you look at VAs recruit list you will find a name with strong Cuse connections. The previous coaches dropped a couple balls
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:14 am If you look at VAs recruit list you will find a name with strong Cuse connections. The previous coaches dropped a couple balls
Not to turn this into Cuse bashing but I’ve heard a few times that parents haven’t been thrilled with the teams graduation rate and focus (or lack thereof) on the student side of student athlete. Not the kids mind you but relative weighting of priorities. This came from, among others, former Syracuse star who’s son went elsewhere.
calilax

Post by calilax »

What about Gravante at Mount Saint Mary's...he has been there for almost 30 years and they are stuck in perpetual sub mediocre mode. He is a great guy and there is a lot of potential but I think it is time for a change.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

calilax wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:54 am What about Gravante at Mount Saint Mary's...he has been there for almost 30 years and they are stuck in perpetual sub mediocre mode. He is a great guy and there is a lot of potential but I think it is time for a change.
He’s a lifer. Coached through his own cancer and has contributed a lot to the institution. They were solid in the MAAC before. Bet it’s the same when they head back next year. (Though I kind of expect
LIU to run that conference the next few years personally)
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Anyone thinking that Kirwan stepping away from the PLL is a sign for a potential PC HC run?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jerseyjames wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:58 am Anyone thinking that Kirwan stepping away from the PLL is a sign for a potential PC HC run?
Is that who Matt Kerwick just replaced in the PLL seat?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I totally believe that Chemotti will do exactly what Galloway does. That is, stay put where he is and wait to see what happens with his alma mater's program. In this case, it is Duke.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:46 am
10stone5 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:39 am

talent.

Boy’s Latin.

normal SE PA recruiting.
Intrieri looked great against Richmond. I believe Richmond and Bart end up competing hard on kids from what I’ve heard (w Richmond winning about 65-70% of those beauty contests at the moment).

Will is related to Dan of Cuse fame. From what I’ve been hearing folks are really down on Section 3 in CNY these days and it’s a baby/bath water situation. Kid is good. Cuse fans on their solo board are wondering why he isn’t going there. Granted they say that, “why didn’t we offer xxx” about every decent kid in CNY not going to Cuse, but this one is legit.

https://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/p ... /2020-2021
Will is related to Dan(per above) as well as Tommy--both played for SU--his father, Bill, also former SU player. Rumor was SU never even contacted him, hard to believe..
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:37 pm NJIT open

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/05/13/t ... nson-njit/
Thinking a current top assistant at a successful DI program takes that job.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

How are we rating these jobs currently?

Providence clearly 1st but then I'd say NJIT is a better job then St. Johns
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:07 pm
Tdemling6 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:37 pm NJIT open

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/05/13/t ... nson-njit/
Thinking a current top assistant at a successful DI program takes that job.
Good luck to that fortunate fella :shock:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”