Has lacrosse “bubble” started to pop??

D1 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: Has lacrosse “bubble” started to pop??

Post by River Donkey »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm You’re all missing it.

I’m gonna talk for CT now. People are going broke all over the place. Greenwich is a financial bloodbath and anything further east is a burned out corpse.

The lacrosse “core markets” and “hotbeds” are hurting economically right now.

The youth lacrosse trade is horrendous. 1k on gear, 2k a year on club, 15 to 65k a year on private school. And what Is the light at the end of the tunnel? A quarter scholly to like Furman and a “hookup” to some buyside sweatshop? Or full pay at a miserable ivy where he is out of place and not finding smashable biddies?

If a kid is a good athlete, lacrosse is the worst possible outlet for him. On the plus side he will fee like the man in his suburban private school. As the northeast recedes in national importance and financial strength our game is s.o.l.

And dont get me started on “growth markets.” In TX and FL lax is for losers. Like the magic club or marching band. We’re banking on the white neighborhoods of Baltimore, Long Island, Westchester/Fairfield County and Bethesda to carry our game. It’s looking grim.
Good points. I agree TX, Fl, and southeast for the matter lax is for kids who get cut from baseball. I also see your point on the “Northeast money grab”.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:06 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm NC St, UConn, many other D1 teams have been dropped or moved down. Issues with clubs are a serious problem but I don’t think any outcome of the lax experiment at Cleveland St. really says anything either way about the future of lax.
did i miss something?
is cleveland state dropping lacrosse?
I think pcow is implying that Cleveland State is not an attractive place to go to college and play lacrosse and that it's a sign the growth is stopping that they are one of the most recent D1 additions.

Another way to look at it might be that Cleveland State offers a low cost option for college compared with some of the other schools that offer D1 lacrosse in the midwest and this might be the beginning of a new bubble of expansion.
Attrractive?

Lets not kid ourselves. The walk over the Charles into Brighton for practice ain't the prettiest thing going, especially for those that have scene the failing infrastructure that are our bridges. (talking about Harvard ) Boston U, just a short float down the river, aint much better. A brisk drive out to the north west, and you got UMass Lowell. Lowell. Even the Lowell's , the Cabots, the Lawrences didn't live with the riff raff river hawks. Rutgers...yikes. Not making Architecture magazine. Even Yale's fans look at a delapidated building that looks like it once housed a WW one dirigible, and hasn't been repaired since.

In short, have YOU been to Cleveland state? (sohcahtoa is sohcahtoa, no matter where you go. )

How does it differ from Milwakee, or Staten Island?

Baltimore is one of the most unattractive cities in the USA.....enough on this.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Bravo 3

Post by Bravo 3 »

All great points , add to that title 9 , none of the big football schools outside of the big 10 want Lacrosse to take cash away from the football .
it’s also not as fun to watch without the physical play for the average fan . in the late 2000’s remember how many people were in Baltimore for that Hopkins Duke final ? That was phenomenal. Remember how hard hitting the Maryland Duke semifinal was a couple years later ? You can’t play like that anymore. And it’s coincided with the current situation.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The growth of the women's game outpaces the men's game. With the Pac12 sponsoring lacrosse and having 6 programs (plus SDSU, Fresno, and UCD having programs), the women's game is legitimately a national game. On that side of the docket, the growth is real and universities continue to add programs.

Having a son in the youth club scene right now, I can tell you that it sure looks like the game is growing. If parents can afford to send U12 and younger kids to the east coast for multiple tournaments from CO, TX, GA, CA, FL, those parents would fit well in Roland Park, Bethesda, Fairfield County, and the like. Overall, those "emerging markets" do matter. 330M people in the US is a lot of people. 20 new players per age group in Birmingham, AL or Tulsa, OK or Wherever Else, USA adds up. Combined all of those emerging markets might not produce as many lacrosse players as you get on the north shore of Suffolk County, but that still ends up being a lot of new players.

Also, never underestimate the power of people loving to say to their friends, "my son is on scholarship at University X." Even if that's a books-only scholarship, your average friend has no clue that lacrosse provides partial scholarships.

Look no further than the Full House admissions scandal. People love to brag. Schools are status symbols for some people. Having a kid on scholarship is a status symbol for some people. Telling your friends that your kid plays a sport in college, even at the D3 level, is an ego thing for some people.

Of course, we're long overdue for a recession in this country, so who knows what will happen when one eventually comes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm NC St, UConn, many other D1 teams have been dropped or moved down. Issues with clubs are a serious problem but I don’t think any outcome of the lax experiment at Cleveland St. really says anything either way about the future of lax.
did i miss something?
I think pcow is implying that Cleveland State is not an attractive place to go to college and play lacrosse and that it's a sign the growth is stopping that they are one of the most recent D1 additions.

Another way to look at it might be that Cleveland State offers a low cost option for college compared with some of the other schools that offer D1 lacrosse in the midwest and this might be the beginning of a new bubble of expansion.
No, no, sorry if I was not clear. There were many posts talking about possible indications that a lax bubble was going to burst and Cleveland St. came up seemingly as a harbinger of this. With the really pretty successful start up coach leaving and not being able to find a conference, it was my impression that people were suggesting that that their lax program might be in trouble (and then everyone listed D1 programs that had folded). I didn’t mean to say anything about the merits of CSU but instead that, given how multiple other programs have come and gone in the past, I don’t think that CSU thriving necessarily says anything good about lax future not failing says anything bad. The club scene and high school spread will determine the future course of lax, not the fate of fringe D1 programs.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 pm
did i miss something?

Attrractive?

Lets not kid ourselves. The walk over the Charles into Brighton for practice ain't the prettiest thing going, especially for those that have scene the failing infrastructure that are our bridges. (talking about Harvard ) Boston U, just a short float down the river, aint much better. A brisk drive out to the north west, and you got UMass Lowell. Lowell. Even the Lowell's , the Cabots, the Lawrences didn't live with the riff raff river hawks. Rutgers...yikes. Not making Architecture magazine. Even Yale's fans look at a delapidated building that looks like it once housed a WW one dirigible, and hasn't been repaired since.

In short, have YOU been to Cleveland state? (sohcahtoa is sohcahtoa, no matter where you go. )

How does it differ from Milwakee, or Staten Island?

Baltimore is one of the most unattractive cities in the USA.....enough on this.
Have you been inside that "delapidated" building? What looks like broken windows aren't broken....I have been to Cleveland State. Played them in hoops.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

I’m gonna talk for CT now. People are going broke all over the place. Greenwich is a financial bloodbath and anything further east is a burned out corpse.

The youth lacrosse trade is horrendous. 1k on gear, 2k a year on club, 15 to 65k a year on private school. And what Is the light at the end of the tunnel? A quarter scholly to like Furman and a “hookup” to some buyside sweatshop? Or full pay at a miserable ivy where he is out of place and not finding smashable biddies?

If a kid is a good athlete, lacrosse is the worst possible outlet for him. On the plus side he will fee like the man in his suburban private school. As the northeast recedes in national importance and financial strength our game is s.o.l.

And dont get me started on “growth markets.” In TX and FL lax is for losers. Like the magic club or marching band. We’re banking on the white neighborhoods of Baltimore, Long Island, Westchester/Fairfield County and Bethesda to carry our game. It’s looking grim.
lol.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 pm

lol.
I drove through Darien the other day and saw tumbleweed and burned out buildings and MS13 is all over New Canaan!!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm I drove through Darien the other day and saw tumbleweed and burned out buildings and MS13 is all over New Canaan!!
The Tesla-Benz strife might not be Bloods-Crips...but it's reelz out there on the Black Rock (Rd).
Typical Lax Dad

Wheels wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm I drove through Darien the other day and saw tumbleweed and burned out buildings and MS13 is all over New Canaan!!
The Tesla-Benz strife might not be Bloods-Crips...but it's reelz out there on the Black Rock (Rd).
It's poppin' in Rowayton... big beef with the crowd from Cos Cob!....it's even sketchier as you move east!! 187s in Greens Farm! Pequot & Beachside Ave ain't no joke!
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

You lost me at "miserable ivy." I played with and know hundreds of Ivy lacrosse players. I don't know a single one who regrets his experience. I'm sure they exist, but they are more rare than hen's teeth.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

:lol:
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm

lol.
I drove through Darien the other day and saw tumbleweed and burned out buildings and MS13 is all over New Canaan!!
😂
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm

lol.
If CT keeps going this way, the profit and business minded MS-13 gang bangers will also leave to more lucrative environments. There is a massive shift underway right now. I guarantee that you can buy a home with a USD $3M+ ask for 65% of MSRP in New Canaan today. Don't act all surprised when the well dries up
Last edited by PrimeTime21 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 pm
It's poppin' in Rowayton... big beef with the crowd from Cos Cob!....it's even sketchier as you move east!! 187s in Greens Farm! Pequot & Beachside Ave ain't no joke!
Greens Farms, and more broadly Westport, has always been for posers. And "Rowayton" is actually South Norwalk. If you get tossed from private school while living in "Rowayton" you'll get jumped in real quick at McMahon. You will never be clubbable with a 06807 zip code. Stop before you embarrass yourself further.

And yes, people in Darien, Wilton and NC are suffering badly right now. And Greenwich is under siege. Ask someone from there how their LTV is looking over the medium term.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

"Black Rock" is actually thuggin in the BPT. I will tell the Westside Gs at Bassick you think they're soft. If you think the "Black Rock" section is so great, go to one of their underage bars on Fairfield Ave from 11PM-1AM. You'll get reminded quickly that yes, you are indeed kicking it in Bridgeport, and the "young scholars" from Marina Village actually do want your wallet post-haste.

So many people from outside CT have no idea what situation those people are in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rock,_Bridgeport
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Here in Madison the school population is down and high end home values have indeed never recovered from the downturn. That said, we are not yet spending winter nights down at the Surf Club in ratty trench coats, huddled around fires in 55 gallon drums. The only thing I am clubbing these days are 5 irons into the fescue so I guess the 06443 is ruled out too. I suppose we will just have to suffer through in solidarity with those in the blighted wastelands of Darien and the posers in Southport.
Typical Lax Dad

PrimeTime21 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 pm
Greens Farms, and more broadly Westport, has always been for posers. And "Rowayton" is actually South Norwalk. If you get tossed from private school while living in "Rowayton" you'll get jumped in real quick at McMahon. You will never be clubbable with a 06807 zip code. Stop before you embarrass yourself further.

And yes, people in Darien, Wilton and NC are suffering badly right now. And Greenwich is under siege. Ask someone from there how their LTV is looking over the medium term.
My bad, I often get south Norwalk and Rowayton mixed up....don't you?
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:51 am Here in Madison the school population is down and high end home values have indeed never recovered from the downturn. That said, we are not yet spending winter nights down at the Surf Club in ratty trench coats, huddled around fires in 55 gallon drums. The only thing I am clubbing these days are 5 irons into the fescue so I guess the 06443 is ruled out too. I suppose we will just have to suffer through in solidarity with those in the blighted wastelands of Darien and the posers in Southport.
You have the fingers cut off of your gloves yet?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

One reason for bubble bursting, youth club lacrosse, the supply is going to be reduced. The current model is broke and just a money grab for clubs.
We are churning through too many 10 to 14 year olds, do they really need to be playing tournaments all summer long? How many are getting frustrated and bored including their parents. We are losing players and fans at a young age.
The club money grab is ridiculous. And fortunately, almost over.
Parents figured out the coachign at cluibs isnt any better and that alol you're paying for is uniforms and field rentals.
Many Rec programs in Baltimore figured out that all you have to do is call your top teams a "club" and kids will return.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

This entire thread has gotten out of control. Not sure if it is funny haha or funny woohoo.....
Here in Madison the school population is down and high end home values have indeed never recovered from the downturn. That said, we are not yet spending winter nights down at the Surf Club in ratty trench coats, huddled around fires in 55 gallon drums. The only thing I am clubbing these days are 5 irons into the fescue so I guess the 06443 is ruled out too. I suppose we will just have to suffer through in solidarity with those in the blighted wastelands of Darien and the posers in Southport.
Just hop over the river to the 06437 if it turns, all good in that hood. Can always go "clubbing" at the Lakes, although a 5 iron would be a bit much....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”