All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:47 pm https://apple.news/AOB1kXANcSeGeVQ7JfmrfjA

Video is cool....let me buy you another drink and then we can get out of here....
... very informative video!
Its all good if you are polite and respect the person’s right to be irresponsible. The virus won’t transmit if you do those things. Better than wearing a mask.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:10 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote
Let me clarify. Shutdown all indoor dining and drinking. Eat and drink outside. Lower risk, not risk free champ.
Would you feel the same if you owned a bar/restaurant? Pretty tough going as it is for those folks, many have folded already. Any kind of assistance coming for them or are they more victims of the pandemic.
Rules here are, wear a mask when you enter, can take it off when you sit (not allowed to stand) at the bar. Few pieces of plexiglass at the bar, a few can gather within the plexiglass area...with masks off. Virus can't travel up, around, or under that? Can only get you when you're walking to and from the door. All seems pretty wacky to me (not saying I'm a non complier).
No. I wouldn’t want it like that but the reality is that we are in a deadly pandemic. We should have focused our bailout effort to support these folks. Economics are driving their need to be open. An economic solution would limit that need. I believe it would have been cheaper and more effective and less disruptive.

Eating and drinking at a restaurant is a luxury and convenience. I know plenty of people that never set foot in either. Don’t have the time or money....plexiglass is good if you are in and out. Pick-up with a mask. But standing around breathing in other peoples’ exhaled breath over time is a problem.

Florida basketball player just collapsed on the court. I am hoping we don’t find out he had / has COVID-19.
.... it is not uncommon for someone with asymptomatic COVID to pass out months after having contracted the disease.
Don't speculate, we DO NOT KNOW if it has ANYTHING to do with CV-19. Just because we are in a pandemic, does not mean an athlete can't have a "medical episode" for many OTHER factors! This type of thing has unfortunately happened before in College Basketball, WELL before CV-19 existed...

."it is not uncommon for someone with asymptomatic COVID to pass out months after having contracted the disease." Please provide a source for this statement, because it sounds an awful lot like your opinion and not a fact. :roll:

Joe
Last edited by JoeMauer89 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote
Let me clarify. Shutdown all indoor dining and drinking. Eat and drink outside. Lower risk, not risk free champ.
Would you feel the same if you owned a bar/restaurant? Pretty tough going as it is for those folks, many have folded already. Any kind of assistance coming for them or are they more victims of the pandemic.
Rules here are, wear a mask when you enter, can take it off when you sit (not allowed to stand) at the bar. Few pieces of plexiglass at the bar, a few can gather within the plexiglass area...with masks off. Virus can't travel up, around, or under that? Can only get you when you're walking to and from the door. All seems pretty wacky to me (not saying I'm a non complier).
No. I wouldn’t want it like that but the reality is that we are in a deadly pandemic. We should have focused our bailout effort to support these folks. Economics are driving their need to be open. An economic solution would limit that need. I believe it would have been cheaper and more effective and less disruptive.

Eating and drinking at a restaurant is a luxury and convenience. I know plenty of people that never set foot in either. Don’t have the time or money....plexiglass is good if you are in and out. Pick-up with a mask. But standing around breathing in other peoples’ exhaled breath over time is a problem.

Florida basketball player just collapsed on the court. I am hoping we don’t find out he had / has COVID-19.
.... it is not uncommon for someone with asymptomatic COVID to pass out months after having contracted the disease.
Don't speculate, we DO NOT KNOW if it has ANYTHING to do with CV-19. Just because we are in a pandemic, does not mean an athlete can't have a "medical episode" for many OTHER factors! This type of thing has unfortunately happened before in College Basketball, WELL before CV-19 existed...

Joe
:roll: My statement was "it would not be unheard of for it to be COVID". It is now known, unexplained episodes of passing out, are sometimes found to be linked with COVID - in particular, asymptomatic COVID. Of course it could be due to some other cause.

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Typical Lax Dad wrote

Joe
Very true. I am hoping that it is unrelated. It won’t be good for college athletics if it is related. My guess is that its unrelated but something that crossed my mind. I watch these basketball coaches and refs with masks down yelling and talking to players. I saw a ref during that same game go over to the coach to explain a call and took off his mask to talk face to face with a maskless coach (under his chin). It is really ridiculous. They are all living comfortably off the backs of the athletes.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Joe
:roll: My statement was "it would not be unheard of for it to be COVID". It is now known, unexplained episodes of passing out, are sometimes found to be linked with COVID - in particular, asymptomatic COVID. Of course it could be due to some other cause.

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. :roll:
Fair enough on the first and last part.

Please give me a source for the below, I really have not read that anywhere regarding Asymptomatic cases of COVID results in passing out months after recovering. Mild, sure, maybe but certainly not Asymptomatic. Your statement makes it sound as if it is peer-reviewed, ironclad certainty

"It is now known, unexplained episodes of passing out, are sometimes found to be linked with COVID - in particular, asymptomatic COVID"

Joe
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Joe
Very true. I am hoping that it is unrelated. It won’t be good for college athletics if it is related. My guess is that its unrelated but something that crossed my mind. I watch these basketball coaches and refs with masks down yelling and talking to players. I saw a ref during that same game go over to the coach to explain a call and took off his mask to talk face to face with a maskless coach (under his chin). It is really ridiculous. They are all living comfortably off the backs of the athletes.
if they have to be there anyway, and in this case discussing a call seems to qualify, masks would definitely be the way to go. maybe with empty stadiums they should set a 6 foot rule if they're gonna need to be heard right/take masks off. or how about 9? what's wrong with 9 in an empty stadium?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I am not going back to do the search for you. If you look for a list of symptoms that are "common" to individuals discovered to have asymptomatic COVID (there are about 100 such symptoms, identified by recent studies) you will find passing out, lowered blood flow, to be fairly common among this group of individuals. Presentation with these symptoms is frequently how "asymptomatic cases" are discovered.

PS - you might also look for "long hauler" symptoms.
Last edited by jhu72 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:56 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:53 pm and they can blame the other side and not lose a vote.
Not just not lose a vote---they strengthen their base by doing this.
....and this is how we ended up with Trump.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Joe
if they have to be there anyway, and in this case discussing a call seems to qualify, masks would definitely be the way to go. maybe with empty stadiums they should set a 6 foot rule if they're gonna need to be heard right/take masks off. or how about 9? what's wrong with 9 in an empty stadium?
Don’t know why a coach and a ref would talk face to face woth no mask...as a matter of fact, the coach leans in. The ref then put a mask in front of his mouth like he was chewing food. Kind of ridiculous.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Joe
Don’t know why a coach and a ref would talk face to face woth no mask...as a matter of fact, the coach leans in. The ref then put a mask in front of his mouth like he was chewing food. Kind of ridiculous.
it probably hasn't happened at every game multiple times per half in every sport being played. a one-off.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Joe
it probably hasn't happened at every game multiple times per half in every sport being played. a one-off.
I am going to keep a closer eye out for it.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:31 pm I am not going back to do the search for you. If you look for a list of symptoms that are "common" to individuals discovered to have asymptomatic COVID (there are about 100 such symptoms, identified by recent studies) you will find passing out, lowered blood flow, to be fairly common among this group of individuals. Presentation with these symptoms is frequently how "asymptomatic cases" are discovered.

What about the LARGE amount of people who have had it asymptomatically but never confirmed via testing? They are just supposed to assume its related to CV-19? There are thousands of symptoms that are indicative of MANY other things than CV-19. Again, people fall ill with 100's of viruses/illness/conditions on a yearly basis OTHER than CV-19. Take a step back for a second and realize that again, every medical condition is NOT indicative of CV-19, a respiratory virus, of which there are many others that share similarities with it. If you weren't so caught up in CV-19, you would be able to see/acknowledge this. Happy Holidays, be well!!

Joe
ggait

Post by ggait »

Come on guys. I find people get really dumb (too strict but also too lax) about this to make ax-grinding points. It actually is quite simply and you all know that.

First, the game gets played in a huge and empty arena. So while indoors, you are basically talking about outdoor-like massive amounts of cubic air volume per person. Second, a ref and coach are not going to be talking/yelling face to face for 5/10/15 minutes. They are moving around constantly in a big mostly distant space during the game. So a one-off conversation is likely to be fairly safe even without any masks. But a mask or distance, of course, is always going to add some incremental protection.

At an inside dinner, an inside bar, at a church service, or riding in a car, you're going to be swapping air with someone else for a much longer time in a place with low ventilation. Which is what makes it a lot more infectious. So that safe empty arena gets much more dangerous if you put 15k fans into it. Especially since the fans would sit in one place for several hours. And also because those fans would be cheering and talking a lot in those close quarters. Ask Herman Cain.

And some close indoor spaces are not that risky. Turns out riding in a plane is pretty safe, despite the close quarters and longer exposure time (bad factors). Because planes have pretty good ventilation. Because the airlines make everyone wear a mask. And because on a plane most people just sit quietly breathing/swapping much lower volumes of air.

There's a bad synergy of factors that make gyms, bars, restaurants, church, family gatherings and packed arenas so risky (and a class room or library or plane ride less risky). Inside, plus close quarters, plus long exposure time, plus high volume heavy breathing.

All that mass group jabbering, singing, cheering, huffing/puffing means there's just a lot more air/virus being swapped when everyone is stuck in place for a long duration and constantly/forcefully pushing out a lot of air.
Last edited by ggait on Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:26 pm
Come on guys. I find people get really dumb (too strict but also too lax) about this to make ax-grinding points. It actually is quite simply and you all know that.

A ref and coach are not going to be talking/yelling face to face for 5/10/15 minutes. So a one-off conversation is likely to be fairly safe even without any masks. But a mask or distance, of course, is always going to add some incremental protection.

At an inside dinner, an inside bar, at a church service, or riding in a car, you're going to be swapping air with someone else for a much longer time in a place with low ventilation. Which is what makes it a lot more infectious.

Turns out riding in a plane is not that risky, despite the close quarters and longer exposure time (bad factors). Because planes have pretty good ventilation. Because the airlines make everyone wear a mask. And because on a plane most people just sit quietly breathing/swapping lower volumes of air.

There's a bad synergy of factors that make gyms, bars, restaurants, church and family gatherings so risky (and a class room or library or plane ride less risky). Inside, plus close quarters, plus long exposure time.

And also plus high volume heavy breathing -- all that mass jabbering, singing or huffing/puffing. There's just a lot more virus floating around to catch when everyone is stuck in place and constantly forcefully pushing out a lot of air.
he's talking about face to face. like inside a foot. maybe with elevated voices. and probably a basketball game. you don't need to do that for 15 minutes. or 15 seconds.

and modeled behavior.
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:26 pm

A ref and coach are not going to be talking/yelling face to face for 5/10/15 minutes. So a one-off conversation is likely to be fairly safe even without any masks. But a mask or distance, of course, is always going to add some incremental protection.

At an inside dinner, an inside bar, at a church service, or riding in a car, you're going to be swapping air with someone else for a much longer time in a place with low ventilation. Which is what makes it a lot more infectious.

Turns out riding in a plane is not that risky, despite the close quarters and longer exposure time (bad factors). Because planes have pretty good ventilation. Because the airlines make everyone wear a mask. And because on a plane most people just sit quietly breathing/swapping lower volumes of air.

There's a bad synergy of factors that make gyms, bars, restaurants, church and family gatherings so risky (and a class room or library or plane ride less risky). Inside, plus close quarters, plus long exposure time.

And also plus high volume heavy breathing -- all that mass jabbering, singing or huffing/puffing. There's just a lot more virus floating around to catch when everyone is stuck in place and constantly forcefully pushing out a lot of air.
I agree on the longer exposure....but I still don’t understand taking off the mask and talking 2 ft from someone. What is so hard about talking with a mask on when someone is that close. It’s just careless....probably a 30 second conversation.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:52 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:31 pm I am not going back to do the search for you. If you look for a list of symptoms that are "common" to individuals discovered to have asymptomatic COVID (there are about 100 such symptoms, identified by recent studies) you will find passing out, lowered blood flow, to be fairly common among this group of individuals. Presentation with these symptoms is frequently how "asymptomatic cases" are discovered.

What about the LARGE amount of people who have had it asymptomatically but never confirmed via testing? They are just supposed to assume its related to CV-19? There are thousands of symptoms that are indicative of MANY other things than CV-19. Again, people fall ill with 100's of viruses/illness/conditions on a yearly basis OTHER than CV-19. Take a step back for a second and realize that again, every medical condition is NOT indicative of CV-19, a respiratory virus, of which there are many others that share similarities with it. If you weren't so caught up in CV-19, you would be able to see/acknowledge this. Happy Holidays, be well!!

Joe
... the player did in fact have COVID a few months ago. Just made the news.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Like I said, distance and mask is always a plus.

But if you get in my grill for 30 seconds inside a gigantic empty arena, the infection risk is really low. Just like you don't get lung cancer from one fleeting whiff of second hand smoke -- there needs to be a big enough dose inhaled to cause the disease.

But since it is a televised event, you're not modeling good behavior to all those viewers. Which is important. Crazy that modeling good behavior these days gets excoriated as evil virtue signaling.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:42 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Joe
... the player did in fact have COVID a few months ago. Just made the news.
Thanks. Could be unrelated but its not a good look.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:21 pm Update on vaccine availability. Looks like there is an option to purchase another 400M of Pfizer, no date specified. Just purchased another 100M of Modern off option allocation. Plan seems to be to cover 150M people by end of Q2. 100M Moderna and 50M Pfizer.
there is an option to buy up to another 500 million of pfizer, but that needs a separate authorized contract for whatever amount, and there are no or very few terms set on delivery times ahead of a new executed contract. so really, i'm not even sure whether it's an option of any value that anyone else can't cut.

the moderna news is disappointing from the standpoint that if that's all we end up taking for a while... what it means is we don't think we could get a boost in production there by 2nd quarter.

however, it could also mean an elevated confidence in the combo of jnj, azn, and/or novavax. the stated plan continues to be covering everyone that wants one by q2. whether that turns out to be 200 million people that "want one" or or more than that is tbd.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:45 pm Like I said, distance and mask is always a plus.

But if you get in my grill for 30 seconds inside a gigantic empty arena, the infection risk is really low. Just like you don't get lung cancer from one fleeting whiff of second hand smoke -- there needs to be a big enough dose inhaled to cause the disease.

But since it is a televised event, you're not modeling good behavior to all those viewers. Which is important. Crazy that modeling good behavior these days gets excoriated as evil virtue signaling.
i don't believe that's correct.
however, neither one of us are epidimeologists. so, different strokes.

Return to “POLITICS”