All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:55 pm
Thanks, I wondered whether you were referring to the IHME estimates. I've thought their mask estimates about the US were wildly high, based upon my own observations 'out in the wild'...I wonder how they arrive at these estimates?
Surveys asking people about their own mask use. And they don't show statistical error bars, much less systematic errors from people exaggerating, or from sample bias. Does anyone see 65% mask use in public, as claimed for the US? I sure don't, not even in a highly blue area of highly blue California. Germany is claimed at 50%. My guess is that these numbers are within 1-sigma of each other, if we had a decent error analysis (which we don't).
Mask use is really really high around these parts (Denver metro). I don't know what the percentage is, but almost everyone wears them in the places and situations they are supposed to.

I recently walked into a store to pick something up and forgot to grab a mask off of the car dashboard. I tried to just grab my item and quickly flee, but to no avail. I would have been treated nicer if I was doing an armed stick up.

Luckily, there was a nice old lady who took pity on me and gave me an extra mask from her purse.
... women are marvelous creatures. My wife carries a stock in her purse. Would never occur to me. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:06 pm have we gotten an update on pfizer approval yet? i'm not checking news feeds but i love hahn. will trump go ballistic tomorrow on twitter?
I believe it has been approved. I don’t see a material impact until September. Summer will be difficult to determine where we are....better than last summer but by what factor might be hard to determine. Next fall will be the test. I am just relying on logic....might be slightly more credible than spitballing. Hopefully we are buttoned up next October.
thanks i just checked. he was in a tough position. wish he pulled it off for one more day.
on deaths, silver lining and hope it will come much quicker:

40% deaths in 1.5% of pop. nursing homes and lt care

another 50%+ in 65+ and comorbitities.

there are plenty of other ramifications, but i'd like to think we'll pull it off. vaccines targeting the spike protein have short term been very successful. everywhere, so far. anti-vaxxers are a problem. minority demographics in particular. understandably but unfortunately.
... I suspect minority resistance to the vaccine will melt away pretty quickly. My bet, demand is going to far out strip our ability to supply the vaccine. The problem in the end will only be the hardcore anti-vaxxer dingbats. The red state anti-maskers are in the end going to be complaining they are last in line for the vaccine, just fueling their grievance mentality.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:35 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 pm Is there some reason to think that Germans aren't wearing masks, distancing, etc as well as Americans are? I wasn't aware they were battling this another way...genuinely interested, not arguing.
No reason that I know of.

Face masks considerably reduce COVID-19 cases in Germany
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020 ... 2015954117

Most of Germany imposes $59 fine for mask-wearing breaches (at the end of August)
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-72655767

In one German state, passengers without masks on trains and buses were handed hefty spot fines in a major police operation
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-coronavir ... a-54679500
https://covid19.healthdata.org/germany? ... &tab=trend
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/why-ger ... rking.html

“Germany started its "lockdown light" on Monday, which is set to last for the month of November. The new restrictions include the closure of bars, restaurants, cinemas, theaters and gyms, as well as the re-introduction of physical-distancing measures.”
germany will get it buttoned up.

they've been the loss leader, in a good way.

epidemiologists will have a field day for years after this pandemic. i saw a month or so ago they had had 5 kids under 18 in icu. total. they're tanks.
Talked to a friend that’s a nurse at the OSU hospital....she was kind of depressed....a good friend of her’s lost both parents to COVID this week...that’s not what had her depressed..... she said seeing patients back in the hospital for a second time with COVID has her down.......worried about when it will end....that is not good.
we need some good azn and jnj results. that would help expedite. maybe novavax and a negotiated win with pfizer.
meantime, we'll get to a lot of the vulnerable in the next 2-3 months.

lot of tragedy.
We can avoid it if we let people do as they please and this includes bar and restaurant owners.....teammate’s wife recently finished up her day at The Johns Hopkins Hospital ..called restaurant to order food for pick up on the way home....arrived at the restaurant....packed with maskless Ravens fans drinking and watching the game....just having a few beers.... she was afraid to go in to get the food.....but those fans have a right to be irresponsible.
This story is remarkable, if not for the hypocrisy that you and yours live by.
What the heck is she doing ordering take out in the first place? Like she is holier than thou and above the fray? What IS even more laughable IS your incomplete story telling. Did she pick up the food or not?

It all begins and ends with the French Laundry story with Gavin...........do as we don't do, just as we say. Got it.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:49 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:35 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 pm Is there some reason to think that Germans aren't wearing masks, distancing, etc as well as Americans are? I wasn't aware they were battling this another way...genuinely interested, not arguing.
No reason that I know of.

Face masks considerably reduce COVID-19 cases in Germany
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020 ... 2015954117

Most of Germany imposes $59 fine for mask-wearing breaches (at the end of August)
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-72655767

In one German state, passengers without masks on trains and buses were handed hefty spot fines in a major police operation
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-coronavir ... a-54679500
https://covid19.healthdata.org/germany? ... &tab=trend
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/why-ger ... rking.html

“Germany started its "lockdown light" on Monday, which is set to last for the month of November. The new restrictions include the closure of bars, restaurants, cinemas, theaters and gyms, as well as the re-introduction of physical-distancing measures.”
germany will get it buttoned up.

they've been the loss leader, in a good way.

epidemiologists will have a field day for years after this pandemic. i saw a month or so ago they had had 5 kids under 18 in icu. total. they're tanks.
Talked to a friend that’s a nurse at the OSU hospital....she was kind of depressed....a good friend of her’s lost both parents to COVID this week...that’s not what had her depressed..... she said seeing patients back in the hospital for a second time with COVID has her down.......worried about when it will end....that is not good.
we need some good azn and jnj results. that would help expedite. maybe novavax and a negotiated win with pfizer.
meantime, we'll get to a lot of the vulnerable in the next 2-3 months.

lot of tragedy.
We can avoid it if we let people do as they please and this includes bar and restaurant owners.....teammate’s wife recently finished up her day at The Johns Hopkins Hospital ..called restaurant to order food for pick up on the way home....arrived at the restaurant....packed with maskless Ravens fans drinking and watching the game....just having a few beers.... she was afraid to go in to get the food.....but those fans have a right to be irresponsible.
This story is remarkable, if not for the hypocrisy that you and yours live by.
What the heck is she doing ordering take out in the first place? Like she is holier than thou and above the fray? What IS even more laughable IS your incomplete story telling. Did she pick up the food or not?

It all begins and ends with the French Laundry story with Gavin...........do as we don't do, just as we say. Got it.
Yes. She picked the food up. Thought about not getting it but hadn’t made other plans after working all day. Her husband told me the story. You should be more focused on the yahoos sitting around drinking and cheering on football with no distance and no masks....not the lady leaving a hospital serving patients. If it were me, I would shut them all down. Said it it May. Congress should have been more focused with its support. Less money and better outcome for us all. Was in your town yesterday. Didn’t see you on your bike on Morrissey boulavaaaard.

Let me clarify. Shutdown all indoor dining and drinking. Eat and drink outside. Lower risk, not risk free champ.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:21 pm so at first i thought there was a really good chance you were being condescending to me for some reason. and i guess this means i should now be 100% sure that you were? not sure why or where that's coming from, but hey! everybody's on edge. it's a pandemic.
Not condescending! Tongue in cheek response to your witticism below...
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:00 pm .....i'm surprised you say it's obvious. but maybe you know more than me about it.
I thought you were giving me some good natured grief. I was attempting to return the wit....

Sorry that it missed the mark!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote
Let me clarify. Shutdown all indoor dining and drinking. Eat and drink outside. Lower risk, not risk free champ.
Would you feel the same if you owned a bar/restaurant? Pretty tough going as it is for those folks, many have folded already. Any kind of assistance coming for them or are they more victims of the pandemic.
Rules here are, wear a mask when you enter, can take it off when you sit (not allowed to stand) at the bar. Few pieces of plexiglass at the bar, a few can gather within the plexiglass area...with masks off. Virus can't travel up, around, or under that? Can only get you when you're walking to and from the door. All seems pretty wacky to me (not saying I'm a non complier).
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote
Would you feel the same if you owned a bar/restaurant? Pretty tough going as it is for those folks, many have folded already. Any kind of assistance coming for them or are they more victims of the pandemic.
Rules here are, wear a mask when you enter, can take it off when you sit (not allowed to stand) at the bar. Few pieces of plexiglass at the bar, a few can gather within the plexiglass area...with masks off. Virus can't travel up, around, or under that? Can only get you when you're walking to and from the door. All seems pretty wacky to me (not saying I'm a non complier).
No. I wouldn’t want it like that but the reality is that we are in a deadly pandemic. We should have focused our bailout effort to support these folks. Economics are driving their need to be open. An economic solution would limit that need. I believe it would have been cheaper and more effective and less disruptive.

Eating and drinking at a restaurant is a luxury and convenience. I know plenty of people that never set foot in either. Don’t have the time or money....plexiglass is good if you are in and out. Pick-up with a mask. But standing around breathing in other peoples’ exhaled breath over time is a problem.

Florida basketball player just collapsed on the court. I am hoping we don’t find out he had / has COVID-19.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote
This is intentional. McConnell is withholding assistance to them----because guess what that does?

Look no further than these pages. McConnell withholding Billions in assistance to make it look like Governors are insane to keep any restrictions on people's movements.

It's a game for him. And McConnell is winning, because voters look at any restrictions that keeps food from getting on the table as cruel.

And of course, having the government shut down or limit businesses without financial compensation IS insane.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:21 pm so at first i thought there was a really good chance you were being condescending to me for some reason. and i guess this means i should now be 100% sure that you were? not sure why or where that's coming from, but hey! everybody's on edge. it's a pandemic.
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:00 pm .....i'm surprised you say it's obvious. but maybe you know more than me about it.
I thought you were giving me some good natured grief. I was attempting to return the wit....

well, good to know. i was giving you some good natured grief. for this:
a fan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:55 pm The scientists are not in charge here. I would think that this is obvious, but apparently it's not.....
so i tried to reply in what would be understood as equal measure.

now that i know there's no mal-intent, we can banter to our heart's desire and wipe slates clean. tld and i have a similar arrangement. my last post on it was an attempt to address and diffuse.

anyway, let's gooo!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:22 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 am

well, good to know. i was giving you some good natured grief. for this:
a fan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:55 pm The scientists are not in charge here. I would think that this is obvious, but apparently it's not.....

now that i know there's no mal-intent, we can banter to our heart's desire and wipe slates clean. tld and i have a similar arrangement. my last post on it was an attempt to address and diffuse.

anyway, let's gooo!
👍
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote
This is intentional. McConnell is withholding assistance to them----because guess what that does?

Look no further than these pages. McConnell withholding Billions in assistance to make it look like Governors are insane to keep any restrictions on people's movements.

It's a game for him. And McConnell is winning, because voters look at any restrictions that keeps food from getting on the table as cruel.

And of course, having the government shut down or limit businesses without financial compensation IS insane.
the 2 sides have had an idea what they will each accept. for months. the good news if there is any is they are closer than ever. they've been doing this dance for years now with government shutdowns.

my sense is they will now get something done.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

the 2 sides have had an idea what they will each accept. for months. the good news if there is any is they are closer than ever. they've been doing this dance for years now with government shutdowns.

Quite interesting how they are holding people hostage, with a known pandemic going on. Almost makes you wonder if they are intentionally holding the cash back because they know something we don't.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:22 pm well, good to know. i was giving you some good natured grief. for this:
Yeah, I realized my mistake later------that wasn't directed at you. It was directed at a previous conversation with another poster.

So yep, you sent a barb my way----which was entirely deserved! And gave me a good chuckle.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote
No. I wouldn’t want it like that but the reality is that we are in a deadly pandemic. We should have focused our bailout effort to support these folks. Economics are driving their need to be open. An economic solution would limit that need. I believe it would have been cheaper and more effective and less disruptive.

Eating and drinking at a restaurant is a luxury and convenience. I know plenty of people that never set foot in either. Don’t have the time or money....plexiglass is good if you are in and out. Pick-up with a mask. But standing around breathing in other peoples’ exhaled breath over time is a problem.

Florida basketball player just collapsed on the court. I am hoping we don’t find out he had / has COVID-19.
.... it is not uncommon for someone with asymptomatic COVID to pass out months after having contracted the disease.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Quite interesting how they are holding people hostage, with a known pandemic going on. Almost makes you wonder if they are intentionally holding the cash back because they know something we don't.
Yeah....they know they are part of the ruling class.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://apple.news/AOB1kXANcSeGeVQ7JfmrfjA

Video is cool....let me buy you another drink and then we can get out of here....
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Yeah....they know they are part of the ruling class.
and they can blame the other side and not lose a vote.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:53 pm and they can blame the other side and not lose a vote.
Not just not lose a vote---they strengthen their base by doing this.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:56 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:53 pm and they can blame the other side and not lose a vote.
Not just not lose a vote---they strengthen their base by doing this.
And the peasants cheer them on.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:47 pm https://apple.news/AOB1kXANcSeGeVQ7JfmrfjA

Video is cool....let me buy you another drink and then we can get out of here....
... very informative video!

Return to “POLITICS”