The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:46 pm Oil & Gas is most definitely supported by the gov via favorable tax treatment.

But I don't understand your broader point. Are you suggesting that regulatory oversight equates to subsidy?

The OCC is not the FDIC. Which I guess subsidizes all business by subsidizing the risk associated with banks lending out the money in our personal banking accounts...?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there.

I'm saying that political parties get in, and move the regulations around per industry for political purposes, not financial ones.

For instance? Even though we were pioneers in sustainable manufacturing, DoE rules kept us from getting Grants, low interest loans, and other subsidies because we sold alcohol. So we get shut out even thought we make a completely legal product....yet other companies (oil included) can show up to the Federal trough.

And yes, as you point out , they get far more favorable tax treatment----which is a MASSIVE subsidy.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:01 pm
HooDat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:46 pm Oil & Gas is most definitely supported by the gov via favorable tax treatment.

But I don't understand your broader point. Are you suggesting that regulatory oversight equates to subsidy?

The OCC is not the FDIC. Which I guess subsidizes all business by subsidizing the risk associated with banks lending out the money in our personal banking accounts...?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there.

I'm saying that political parties get in, and move the regulations around per industry for political purposes, not financial ones.

For instance? Even though we were pioneers in sustainable manufacturing, DoE rules kept us from getting Grants, low interest loans, and other subsidies because we sold alcohol. So we get shut out even thought we make a completely legal product....yet other companies (oil included) can show up to the Federal trough.

And yes, as you point out , they get far more favorable tax treatment----which is a MASSIVE subsidy.
of course, if you're a pension fund or banker and you're thinking about long term investments or loans, those subsidies may not always be there, so...maybe their removal is another risk...that certainly wasn't the case a few decades ago, though!

But, that's another problem for a banking regulator to worry about when assessing how much of a reserve a bank needs to have against loans in this sector...
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:57 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:48 pm Canada wanted to get their crude oil (& US crude from ND & MT) to Gulf refineries, which would bring more of it to market, faster, at a lower cost.

Biden cx'd that pipeline his first day in office. ...tick, tick, tick until afan tells us that did not matter.
Why aren't they using the operational Dakota Access Pipeline? It has been in service since 2017.

more rd herrings from you per usual. You need some new material :oops: .
https://daplpipelinefacts.com/

Safely operating since June of 2017, the Dakota Access Pipeline can transport up to 750,000 barrels of oil per day. The pipeline is the safest and most efficient means to transport crude oil from the geographically constrained region, providing better access to Gulf Coast and Midwest refineries and other downstream markets.

By transporting oil on the Dakota Access Pipeline, the equivalent of 3,000 tanker trucks are removed from the roads every day. Similarly, the pipeline removes the equivalent of 815 rail cars that would cross through neighborhoods and over waterways every day.

The Dakota Access Pipeline has helped bolster production in the Bakken, currently moving approximately 40% of the Bakken's oil output per day. It has also helped to improve the region's drilling economics by lowering transportation costs for operators, and is providing a safer means of transportation over truck or rail.

https://www.willistonherald.com/news/oi ... 9f4e9.html

Keystone XL might have helped Bakken crude, however, because the project was to include an on-ramp for up to 100,000 barrels per day of Bakken crude oil. This would have eased pipeline congestion during the boom, if the pipeline had been allowed to move forward.

It could also still help ease future congestion in the Bakken. Production from the region has been projected to continue rising once the current pandemic, price-war induced supply glut has balanced.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm It's why I keep saying that if you REALLY pulled the plug on Big Government? The average American's life would fall apart completely. They have NO CLUE about all the things that the Federal government does to enable their lifestyle.
...& Somali pirates would be enjoying your finest export.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:43 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm It's why I keep saying that if you REALLY pulled the plug on Big Government? The average American's life would fall apart completely. They have NO CLUE about all the things that the Federal government does to enable their lifestyle.
:lol: Pretty sure the UK government has boats with pointy guns that can protect the approach from the sea, OS.

And since when do Somali pirates travel up to the North Atlantic?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:42 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:43 pm
:lol: Pretty sure the UK government has boats with pointy guns that can protect the approach from the sea, OS.

And since when do Somali pirates travel up to the North Atlantic?
The Somali pirates work off the Horn of Africa. Any of your product travel by sea through the Suez Canal or to the middle east or to India ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:25 pm The Somali pirates work off the Horn of Africa. Any of your product travel by sea through the Suez Canal or to the middle east or to India ?
Not a drop. I understand what you're trying to say...but all you're doing is making my point.

America CHOSE to let NATO countries take a bad seat for decades. If we didn't do that? You wouldn't be here telling me we need a massive US Navy to keep ships moving through the Suez. You'd be telling me: "NATO is on it, we don't need to do it all ourselves".
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:41 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:25 pm The Somali pirates work off the Horn of Africa. Any of your product travel by sea through the Suez Canal or to the middle east or to India ?
Not a drop. I understand what you're trying to say...but all you're doing is making my point.

America CHOSE to let NATO countries take a bad seat for decades. If we didn't do that? You wouldn't be here telling me we need a massive US Navy to keep ships moving through the Suez. You'd be telling me: "NATO is on it, we don't need to do it all ourselves".
I would have been pleased to make that claim.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:16 am

Then you agree! Great. We don't need the US Navy to keep shipping lanes open. Others can muck in, especially NATO.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-p ... d=86824997

Biden, under pressure from own party, fires back as 2024 questions persist
A new poll, his age, the economy and abortion rights have him on the defensive.

July 15, 2022, 5:08 AM

Susan Walsh/AP

As a slew of historic challenges pile up on Joe Biden's presidency, he faces increasing dissatisfaction from within his own party and questions about his electability just months before crucial midterm elections.

Historic, global inflation and high gas prices have driven his popularity to lows that could threaten Democrats' chances of retaining control of Congress this fall.

Amid calls from activists for Biden to show more urgency on issues such as abortion and gun reform, the White House has fired back, calling those who want more action on abortion "out of step."

But a wide majority of Democrats in a New York Times/Siena College poll published this week – 64% – said that they want someone other than Biden to represent them in the 2024 presidential election.

Among those Democrats, the top reason they wanted another standard-bearer was because of Biden's age (33%), followed by his job performance (32%). Further down the list, 4% cited his ability to win, and 3% pointed to his mental acuity.
That poll must have been all us Negative Nancys on Fanlax.
Oh wait.
Looks like we were on to something.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:09 am https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-p ... d=86824997

Biden, under pressure from own party, fires back as 2024 questions persist
A new poll, his age, the economy and abortion rights have him on the defensive.

July 15, 2022, 5:08 AM

Susan Walsh/AP

As a slew of historic challenges pile up on Joe Biden's presidency, he faces increasing dissatisfaction from within his own party and questions about his electability just months before crucial midterm elections.

Historic, global inflation and high gas prices have driven his popularity to lows that could threaten Democrats' chances of retaining control of Congress this fall.

Amid calls from activists for Biden to show more urgency on issues such as abortion and gun reform, the White House has fired back, calling those who want more action on abortion "out of step."

But a wide majority of Democrats in a New York Times/Siena College poll published this week – 64% – said that they want someone other than Biden to represent them in the 2024 presidential election.

Among those Democrats, the top reason they wanted another standard-bearer was because of Biden's age (33%), followed by his job performance (32%). Further down the list, 4% cited his ability to win, and 3% pointed to his mental acuity.
That poll must have been all us Negative Nancys on Fanlax.
Oh wait.
Looks like we were on to something.
Who gave you pushback on this? Biden's a goner, and for good reason. Only question is: who's going to run as a Republican?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:42 pm Biden's a goner, and for good reason. Only question is: who's going to run as a Republican?
I have no clue who runs for the red team, certainly hope its no trump, feel like it will be Ron, but I truly have no idea. Who do you think runs in place of Biden?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:03 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:42 pm Biden's a goner, and for good reason. Only question is: who's going to run as a Republican?
I have no clue who runs for the red team, certainly hope its no trump, feel like it will be Ron, but I truly have no idea. Who do you think runs in place of Biden?
I can't even come up with a name, YA. I have no idea.

New faces, new ideas......badly, badly needed in the Dem party leadership.

As much as I like what AOC did to shut down special tax breaks to Amazon et. al, that are killing our middle class.....IMHO, no WAY is she ready for POTUS. And I can't think of anyone else who hasn't been in the stupid party for 20+ years.

Biden has ZERO leadership skills, if you ask me. And I have no clue who does have them in the Dem party.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:01 am

Then you agree! Great. We don't need the US Navy to keep shipping lanes open. Others can muck in, especially NATO.
Of course that's not what I said & we don't agree, but when has that ever mattered to you.

NATO & other regional allies need to do more than they are now doing to help.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:36 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:01 am

Of course that's not what I said & we don't agree, but when has that ever mattered to you.
:lol: Of course is matters to me! You're being unclear, as hard as that is for you to believe.

You have two choices:

1. The US, and the US alone is the only naval power able to keep the world's sea lanes open

2. NATO and our trading partners are more than capable of doing that. US only needs to play a small part in this.

For the life of me, I can't tell which one you believe, as you're all over the place.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:34 pm

As much as I like what AOC did to shut down special tax breaks to Amazon et. al, that are killing our middle class.....IMHO, no WAY is she ready for POTUS. And I can't think of anyone else who hasn't been in the stupid party for 20+ years.

Biden has ZERO leadership skills, if you ask me. And I have no clue who does have them in the Dem party.
It should be very interesting to see what comes from an open campaign, assuming Biden steps aside...heard a podcast from some ex Obama guys talking about how competitive campaigns are necessary to test the candidates, their abilities to attract and motivate good organizations, their ability to connect to voters...and yup, to raise dollars...without the campaign with Hillary, Obama would not have emerged as battle tested.

Had this same conversation with a long time Dem, in and out of government, retiring...really, really smart gal, engineer, very astute, very straight shooter, midwestern background...she was very strongly saying the older generation, basically boomers and older, need to step aside...from last campaign she likes in this order Klobuchar(but does she have the charisma), likes Buttigieg (but maybe still too soon), likes Booker a lot...we talked about Gavin Newsom a bit.

Newsom appears to be purposely picking the fight with DeSantis to create that contrast early on, making clear how he'd stack up against him...that'd be a credible contest...very likely to be able to marshall a national campaign organization.

Quite agree re AOC; give her two or three more major cycles, maybe a Senate seat...then maybe credible...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:31 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:34 pm

It should be very interesting to see what comes from an open campaign, assuming Biden steps aside...heard a podcast from some ex Obama guys talking about how competitive campaigns are necessary to test the candidates, their abilities to attract and motivate good organizations, their ability to connect to voters...and yup, to raise dollars...without the campaign with Hillary, Obama would not have emerged as battle tested.

Had this same conversation with a long time Dem, in and out of government, retiring...really, really smart gal, engineer, very astute, very straight shooter, midwestern background...she was very strongly saying the older generation, basically boomers and older, need to step aside...from last campaign she likes in this order Klobuchar(but does she have the charisma), likes Buttigieg (but maybe still too soon), likes Booker a lot...we talked about Gavin Newsom a bit.

Newsom appears to be purposely picking the fight with DeSantis to create that contrast early on, making clear how he'd stack up against him...that'd be a credible contest...very likely to be able to marshall a national campaign organization.

Quite agree re AOC; give her two or three more major cycles, maybe a Senate seat...then maybe credible...
I noticed Hogan was attending a gov meeting in new england and stopped in NH 'to get a pulse' of things, also had lunch with Bush. Seems he is doing the dance.

Hogan 'could' be, the Kasich we could have gotten instead of Trump. Which could be an advantage in his favor vs Ron in primaries.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:46 pm You're being unclear, as hard as that is for you to believe.

You have two choices:

1. The US, and the US alone is the only naval power able to keep the world's sea lanes open

2. NATO and our trading partners are more than capable of doing that. US only needs to play a small part in this.

For the life of me, I can't tell which one you believe, as you're all over the place.
There are places like the Horn of Africa where no one but the US has the necessary staying power. Other Navies do show up there & contribute.

No other Navies are not going to stand up to China & conduct freedom of navigation transits through the S China Sea.

It's hard to imagine other navies preventing Iran from closing the Strait of Hormuz at will.
...& if that's not important, Biden would not be there humiliating himself begging for ME oil.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:03 am
I noticed Hogan was attending a gov meeting in new england and stopped in NH 'to get a pulse' of things, also had lunch with Bush. Seems he is doing the dance.

Hogan 'could' be, the Kasich we could have gotten instead of Trump. Which could be an advantage in his favor vs Ron in primaries.
That would be the litmus test for your party, OS. Would they choose DeSantis---who is TrumpLight-----over Hogan, who appeals to voters like me.

My money is on TrumpLight. Your party can't put that drug down.

I'd vote for Hogan over Biden so fast it would make your head spin.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:21 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:03 am

That would be the litmus test for your party, OS. Would they choose DeSantis---who is TrumpLight-----over Hogan, who appeals to voters like me.

My money is on TrumpLight. Your party can't put that drug down.

I'd vote for Hogan over Biden so fast it would make your head spin.
GOP Primary voters are, it seems to me, more likely to vote Trump or Trump-Lite than Larry or Kasich.

Return to “POLITICS”