D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:04 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:00 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:19 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:35 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:25 am Hop landing any big recruits here in the early part of the commitment season?
At least 6. See above!
Asking about current Juniors in High School as it is recruiting season?
Only 2024 recruit listed on IL is a SSDM from Lawrenceville. Very early in this cycle. Except for the service academies, who need to identify kids for the process early, most schools have at most 1 or 2 recruits.
He was a '23 who is reclassifying as a '24 after transferring from Chesire to L'Ville. Same deal with FO Joe Hobot after transferring from Smithtown East to Loomis. So technically we have two '24 recruits but both committed several months ago as '23s.

I guess flalax gets to see the Jays in person in February. Hopefully that game is on TV/streaming, not sure what platform Jax home games are on
I’m about 4 hours south of there near Sarasota. I may try and make it up for that though.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Gerstell Academy (MIAA 'B') — announced lacrosse legend
John Grant, Jr. as the Falcons' next head coach.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10Stone, why would you post that here? Don’t you know that triggers Hopkins fans? He’s the sole reason they were terrible this year. Take your trolling elsewhere! :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:12 pm

Gerstell Academy (MIAA 'B') — announced lacrosse legend
John Grant, Jr. as the Falcons' next head coach.
That’s awesome.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
molo

Post by molo »

That makes it a little easier to understand why Junior and PM were not especially compatible.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:37 pm 10Stone, why would you post that here? Don’t you know that triggers Hopkins fans? He’s the sole reason they were terrible this year. Take your trolling elsewhere! :lol:
8-)
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

molo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:39 am That makes it a little easier to understand why Junior and PM were not especially compatible.
I'm not sure PM is compatible with anybody, except maybe JB.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:18 pm
molo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:39 am That makes it a little easier to understand why Junior and PM were not especially compatible.
I'm not sure PM is compatible with anybody, except maybe JB.
This certainly seems to be a recurring sentiment
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

The ninth-ranked Johns Hopkins football team jumped out to a 35-0 lead after one quarter, pushed the lead to 63-0 at the half and cruised to a 70-0 victory over visiting Juniata at Homewood Field Saturday afternoon. The win improves the Blue Jays' record to 3-0 overall and 2-0 in the Centennial Conference, while the Eagles slip to 0-3 overall and 0-2 in the Centennial.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:01 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:54 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:59 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:32 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:18 pm Pretty sure the climb up the rankings is mostly due to the university becoming more selective over the last 10-20 years. Acceptance rate is now just 8%. The Bloomberg money and going need-blind probably don't hurt. Philosophically and metrics-wise it's basically an Ivy League school with the added benefit that the lax team can offer the full allotment of schollies in addition to finaid. Bigger emphasis on research than most Ivies though.
Maybe it's just me, but I liked it better when JHU wasn't "basically an Ivy League school" and was actually something different. Frankly, I used to think it was - at an undergrad level - academically more rigorous than most of the Ivies, had less grade inflation and was more focused on substance rather than perception. One of the reasons the admissions were less selective (on a % basis) than the Ivies was the place had a reputation that scared some of the less serious off. While Daniels' chase of the rankings has undoubtedly been successful on its own terms, it does seem like the character of the institution has changed somewhat. And reasonable minds can differ on whether that's a good thing.
I think what Johns Hopkins used to be … and what some members of our forum wished it still was … is an institution that emphasized graduate studies and research over undergraduate instruction.

Frankly, I think that was an extremely detrimental approach. The undergraduate schools were, are, and will always be the heart of the university. The graduate and professional schools cannot ever form the core of the university’s community. Research institutions like APL and the Space Telescope Science Institute could easily be stand-alone institutions. The emphasis and focus should always be on the undergraduate schools.

That certainly wasn’t the case when I attended Hopkins. Compared to the three universities that I attended other than Hopkins, Hopkins had by far the worst quality of teaching. Faculty seemed to deem teaching a chore, and their poor quality of teaching reflected that. I also don’t understand what is good about “academic rigor”. Other top schools have academic rigor, but Hopkins took it to an extreme. I once got a 5 out of a 100 on an advanced physics test … and it was a passing grade. That’s just nuts … and stupid. The f*cking physics professor should have been fired for giving a test where even a class full of graduate students failed to break an average score of 20 out of 100. Another idiot Hopkins professor spent the entire semester deriving equations on a chalkboard without explaining why the equations were important or why we were deriving them. That guy should have been fired, too.

President Daniels has clearly prioritized improving the undergraduate experience without neglecting the graduate schools and research institutions. Some don’t like the new emphasis, but it’s way overdue. I can’t believe it took nearly 150 years for Hopkins to finally build a decent student center.

Ok … rant over.

*Drops Mic*

DocBarrister
other people tell you if you dropped a mic.
:?

I can’t believe you got even this wrong. :roll:

*Ahem*

Dropping a mic is an inherently boastful act. It must be done by the person who is boasting. Boasting is the entire point of dropping a mic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mic_drop

DocBarrister 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
i'm talking about on social.
but wiki, boastful... checks out.
When Columbia drops from 2 to 18 because they f'ed up but otherwise are exactly the same school what does that tell you about the value of rankings? Or conversely what does it say about the difference between 2 and 20?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/columbia ... 38574.html

"Michael Thaddeus, the Columbia mathematics professor that discovered the inconsistencies, poured scorn on the system of rankings.

“Does it make sense to conclude from this folly that Columbia is the 18th best American university, worse than Cornell but better than Berkeley?” he told Gothamist. “Of course not—that would be ridiculous. The only thing that makes sense is paying no attention to these bogus rankings at all.”"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jays get their '24 goalie, Andrew Cook, a 4-star out of Torrey Pines in California

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... 2323628032
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:03 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:01 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:54 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:59 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:32 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:18 pm Pretty sure the climb up the rankings is mostly due to the university becoming more selective over the last 10-20 years. Acceptance rate is now just 8%. The Bloomberg money and going need-blind probably don't hurt. Philosophically and metrics-wise it's basically an Ivy League school with the added benefit that the lax team can offer the full allotment of schollies in addition to finaid. Bigger emphasis on research than most Ivies though.
Maybe it's just me, but I liked it better when JHU wasn't "basically an Ivy League school" and was actually something different. Frankly, I used to think it was - at an undergrad level - academically more rigorous than most of the Ivies, had less grade inflation and was more focused on substance rather than perception. One of the reasons the admissions were less selective (on a % basis) than the Ivies was the place had a reputation that scared some of the less serious off. While Daniels' chase of the rankings has undoubtedly been successful on its own terms, it does seem like the character of the institution has changed somewhat. And reasonable minds can differ on whether that's a good thing.
I think what Johns Hopkins used to be … and what some members of our forum wished it still was … is an institution that emphasized graduate studies and research over undergraduate instruction.

Frankly, I think that was an extremely detrimental approach. The undergraduate schools were, are, and will always be the heart of the university. The graduate and professional schools cannot ever form the core of the university’s community. Research institutions like APL and the Space Telescope Science Institute could easily be stand-alone institutions. The emphasis and focus should always be on the undergraduate schools.

That certainly wasn’t the case when I attended Hopkins. Compared to the three universities that I attended other than Hopkins, Hopkins had by far the worst quality of teaching. Faculty seemed to deem teaching a chore, and their poor quality of teaching reflected that. I also don’t understand what is good about “academic rigor”. Other top schools have academic rigor, but Hopkins took it to an extreme. I once got a 5 out of a 100 on an advanced physics test … and it was a passing grade. That’s just nuts … and stupid. The f*cking physics professor should have been fired for giving a test where even a class full of graduate students failed to break an average score of 20 out of 100. Another idiot Hopkins professor spent the entire semester deriving equations on a chalkboard without explaining why the equations were important or why we were deriving them. That guy should have been fired, too.

President Daniels has clearly prioritized improving the undergraduate experience without neglecting the graduate schools and research institutions. Some don’t like the new emphasis, but it’s way overdue. I can’t believe it took nearly 150 years for Hopkins to finally build a decent student center.

Ok … rant over.

*Drops Mic*

DocBarrister
other people tell you if you dropped a mic.

I can’t believe you got even this wrong. :roll:

*Ahem*

Dropping a mic is an inherently boastful act. It must be done by the person who is boasting. Boasting is the entire point of dropping a mic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mic_drop

DocBarrister 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
i'm talking about on social.
but wiki, boastful... checks out.
When Columbia drops from 2 to 18 because they f'ed up but otherwise are exactly the same school what does that tell you about the value of rankings? Or conversely what does it say about the difference between 2 and 20?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/columbia ... 38574.html

"Michael Thaddeus, the Columbia mathematics professor that discovered the inconsistencies, poured scorn on the system of rankings.

“Does it make sense to conclude from this folly that Columbia is the 18th best American university, worse than Cornell but better than Berkeley?” he told Gothamist. “Of course not—that would be ridiculous. The only thing that makes sense is paying no attention to these bogus rankings at all.”"
Says the guy who’s boss is responsible for creating the issue for their employer. I agree of course but it’s also silly to deny it has practical real world value to. You need critical mass to walk away from it or else it just becomes another game theory driven race to the bottom.

I mean there’d be no advertising if we had a perfectly capitalist economy with perfect substitute products and services. Most of the service based economy is competitively organized around opacity, information asymmetry and pretending to create franchise value, an intangible that in the long run is never worth the value placed on it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins certainly believes it has value. Rising in USNWR has been a goal.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Does it have value? Yes.
Should it have value? To a degree, but certainly not to the extent it does given all the assumptions, subjectivity, metrics that have value to limited populations, ...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:14 am Hopkins certainly believes it has value. Rising in USNWR has been a goal.
Who is “Hopkins”? Alums, parents of current students, current students, faculty, administration, donors?

Bigger question is do the rankings truly reflect quality of experience (education, but experience includes sectarian within it comprehensively) and is it in the best interest of constituents long term to model the organization to that system? Or is it picking up nickels in front of a steamroller but because of latency in impact we won’t know that for a few more generations? Ie picking up a few spots in rankings where the vast majority of future students don’t really value the movement amongst the top 10-20 very much ultimately but creates the wrong incentive structure into a system that moves the system to decay (faster nothing is forever) over time. It’s a serious question because you see both mediocre and high quality schools both moving towards and away from USNWR so someone has to be right and wrong. And if not then the rankings need to disappear forever.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's not that serious

Sounds like another commit coming today based on Crawley's tweet
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Neither is athletics in the gran scheme of things unless one places their identity and value in life on that.
Newbie14

Post by Newbie14 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am Are we already back to the "we lost to Navy last year because Ron Daniels doesn't go to lax games" argument? It's only September. Let's at least save that for February.

'06 pointed out that the roster looks mostly updated for 2023. There are some big boys in this freshman class:

Collison 6'4'' 220
Brown 6'2'' 200
Bigelow 6'4'' 220
Smith 6'2'' 205
Didden 6'3'' 200
Billings 6'4'' 200

Take with a grain of salt but Collison is listed at attack

So it’s all about size now? Not just for jHU but skill takes a back seat to brute force?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Newbie14 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am Are we already back to the "we lost to Navy last year because Ron Daniels doesn't go to lax games" argument? It's only September. Let's at least save that for February.

'06 pointed out that the roster looks mostly updated for 2023. There are some big boys in this freshman class:

Collison 6'4'' 220
Brown 6'2'' 200
Bigelow 6'4'' 220
Smith 6'2'' 205
Didden 6'3'' 200
Billings 6'4'' 200

Take with a grain of salt but Collison is listed at attack

So it’s all about size now? Not just for jHU but skill takes a back seat to brute force?
What? Who said anything about that? I simply pointed out there are some big kids in the class. That's it. Are you ok?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Beat 16 to it. Another 24 commit:

@jhumenslacrosse picks up one of the best ‘24 lefty snipers as NLF No. 69 Ben Morris (Bayport-Blue Point, N.Y.) commits.

@team91lacrosse standout had a terrific summer, including lights-out CrabFeast. Outstanding shooter w/ both velocity and accuracy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”