Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:03 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:33 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:12 am
OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:29 pm One is private snd one public. Hopkins is the largest private employer. How do you define “mean more”

http://2022.mdmanual.msa.maryland.gov/m ... onomy.html
Just FYI … Johns Hopkins is now ranked #7 in the new U.S. News rankings. Moved up two spots from last year. Now ahead of Caltech and Duke in the rankings.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

DocBarrister
Very excited to see how someone spins this as bad for the lacrosse program. You know it's coming
In a world with dozens of excellent lacrosse programs and nearly as many good schools ( ;) ), every little advantage helps.

Rankings are just another form of marketing, and universities need good marketing in this era. That’s not even up for debate.

DocBarrister
Let's just hope that there are no issues ala Columbia...chasing rankings obsessively isn't necessarily a good thing.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-we're tied for 7th now with penn and tied for fourth among schools that have d1 mens lax programs. I don't have any idea how those rankings are done but it seems like under Daniels we're ranked higher w/the university and lower w/the hospital. Good luck to duke staying top 10 without coach k generating all those donations, applications, and free media.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:09 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:29 pm One is private snd one public. Hopkins is the largest private employer. How do you define “mean more”

Just FYI … Johns Hopkins is now ranked #7 in the new U.S. News rankings. Moved up two spots from last year. Now ahead of Caltech and Duke in the rankings.

DocBarrister
Very excited to see how someone spins this as bad for the lacrosse program. You know it's coming
In a world with dozens of excellent lacrosse programs and nearly as many good schools ( ;) ), every little advantage helps.

Rankings are just another form of marketing, and universities need good marketing in this era. That’s not even up for debate.

DocBarrister
Let's just hope that there are no issues ala Columbia...chasing rankings obsessively isn't necessarily a good thing.
Well, there is marketing and then there is outright fraud.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
You seem to be referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart%27s_law
There is a slippery slope from trying to improve the things measured, to obsessively focusing on the things measured, to cheating to make the measurements look good.

An old Lax Power Poster ('72?) used to put it more strongly. He used to argue that the chase for USN&WR rankings is making JHU less special. That is, he misses the essential differentiators that made JHU unique back in his days.

Since the primary goal of a university is to grow its hedge fund, rankings help attract students who are likely to become contributing alumni (which coincidentally is one of the measurements) as well as to attract external, sponsored funding, so ol' '72 might have to live with some marketing,
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Pretty sure the climb up the rankings is mostly due to the university becoming more selective over the last 10-20 years. Acceptance rate is now just 8%. The Bloomberg money and going need-blind probably don't hurt. Philosophically and metrics-wise it's basically an Ivy League school with the added benefit that the lax team can offer the full allotment of schollies in addition to finaid. Bigger emphasis on research than most Ivies though.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:18 pm Bigger emphasis on research than most Ivies though.
If we're counting dollars, Hopkins is the largest research University in the world, with no one in 2nd to 10th place.....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:09 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
You seem to be referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart%27s_law
There is a slippery slope from trying to improve the things measured, to obsessively focusing on the things measured, to cheating to make the measurements look good.

An old Lax Power Poster ('72?) used to put it more strongly. He used to argue that the chase for USN&WR rankings is making JHU less special. That is, he misses the essential differentiators that made JHU unique back in his days.

Since the primary goal of a university is to grow its hedge fund, rankings help attract students who are likely to become contributing alumni (which coincidentally is one of the measurements) as well as to attract external, sponsored funding, so ol' '72 might have to live with some marketing,
yes, that's the phenomenon that can get you into trouble.

In the US News rankings, gotta look at how they weight various factors (which they often change so as to create some drama). Schools that focus on those particular measures may not pay as much attention as they would otherwise to other factors which drive actual educational excellence, student experience and loyalty, etc, etc..

Also gotta look at the weight given that is driven by size of student and alumni body versus average later achievements,. Or that weight international reputation that may have much more to do with graduate programs than undergraduate.

Bottomline, I agree that JHU is quite comparable to Ivies that have large graduate programs.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:18 pm Pretty sure the climb up the rankings is mostly due to the university becoming more selective over the last 10-20 years. Acceptance rate is now just 8%. The Bloomberg money and going need-blind probably don't hurt. Philosophically and metrics-wise it's basically an Ivy League school with the added benefit that the lax team can offer the full allotment of schollies in addition to finaid. Bigger emphasis on research than most Ivies though.
Undoubtedly a major factor. Definitely more selective than in past decades, and the Bloomberg money is going to make that even more the case.

And there's way less pressure for admission of D1 athletes at Hopkins. Except lax... ;)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:38 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:18 pm Bigger emphasis on research than most Ivies though.
If we're counting dollars, Hopkins is the largest research University in the world, with no one in 2nd to 10th place.....
A big part of it is that JHU has both a Hospital/Medical School and the Applied Physics Lab.
I do not know if MIT counts Lincoln Labs or Cal Tech counts the JPL.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:18 pm Pretty sure the climb up the rankings is mostly due to the university becoming more selective over the last 10-20 years. Acceptance rate is now just 8%. The Bloomberg money and going need-blind probably don't hurt. Philosophically and metrics-wise it's basically an Ivy League school with the added benefit that the lax team can offer the full allotment of schollies in addition to finaid. Bigger emphasis on research than most Ivies though.
Maybe it's just me, but I liked it better when JHU wasn't "basically an Ivy League school" and was actually something different. Frankly, I used to think it was - at an undergrad level - academically more rigorous than most of the Ivies, had less grade inflation and was more focused on substance rather than perception. One of the reasons the admissions were less selective (on a % basis) than the Ivies was the place had a reputation that scared some of the less serious off. While Daniels' chase of the rankings has undoubtedly been successful on its own terms, it does seem like the character of the institution has changed somewhat. And reasonable minds can differ on whether that's a good thing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:32 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I liked it better when JHU wasn't "basically an Ivy League school" and was actually something different. Frankly, I used to think it was - at an undergrad level - academically more rigorous than most of the Ivies, had less grade inflation and was more focused on substance rather than perception. One of the reasons the admissions were less selective (on a % basis) than the Ivies was the place had a reputation that scared some of the less serious off. While Daniels' chase of the rankings has undoubtedly been successful on its own terms, it does seem like the character of the institution has changed somewhat. And reasonable minds can differ on whether that's a good thing.
I think that a lot of these things are still true. Grade deflation is still very much a thing, for instance. Students probably wish it weren't but it's something they can commiserate over.
Hoponboard wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:08 pm What time is the men’s alumni game on the 7th?
It's on Saturday the 8th at 4:30pm. Here's the schedule:

Friday
11am: Golf outing
7pm: Women's scrimmage vs. Denver

Saturday
11am: Coffee with AD
1:30pm: Women's alumni game
3pm: Kid's clinic
3:45pm: Dedication of men's lacrosse veterans memorial wall
4:30pm: Men's alumni game
5:30pm: Tent party
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I think what Johns Hopkins used to be … and what some members of our forum wished it still was … is an institution that emphasized graduate studies and research over undergraduate instruction.

Frankly, I think that was an extremely detrimental approach. The undergraduate schools were, are, and will always be the heart of the university. The graduate and professional schools cannot ever form the core of the university’s community. Research institutions like APL and the Space Telescope Science Institute could easily be stand-alone institutions. The emphasis and focus should always be on the undergraduate schools.

That certainly wasn’t the case when I attended Hopkins. Compared to the three universities that I attended other than Hopkins, Hopkins had by far the worst quality of teaching. Faculty seemed to deem teaching a chore, and their poor quality of teaching reflected that. I also don’t understand what is good about “academic rigor”. Other top schools have academic rigor, but Hopkins took it to an extreme. I once got a 5 out of a 100 on an advanced physics test … and it was a passing grade. That’s just nuts … and stupid. The f*cking physics professor should have been fired for giving a test where even a class full of graduate students failed to break an average score of 20 out of 100. Another idiot Hopkins professor spent the entire semester deriving equations on a chalkboard without explaining why the equations were important or why we were deriving them. That guy should have been fired, too.

President Daniels has clearly prioritized improving the undergraduate experience without neglecting the graduate schools and research institutions. Some don’t like the new emphasis, but it’s way overdue. I can’t believe it took nearly 150 years for Hopkins to finally build a decent student center.

Ok … rant over.

*Drops Mic*

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
molo

Post by molo »

I liked the school when I went there—albeit in a grad program in education, admittedly not rocket science, not more to the point in my case, English—and found the grading somewhat more generous than at UVA, but I can believe they named a business school after me. My compression of business is about like my comprehension of nuclear physics. Check that. I actually passed physics.
Anyway, we can hope for a better lax season in 2023.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:59 pm
I think what Johns Hopkins used to be … and what some members of our forum wished it still was … is an institution that emphasized graduate studies and research over undergraduate instruction.

Frankly, I think that was an extremely detrimental approach. The undergraduate schools were, are, and will always be the heart of the university. The graduate and professional schools cannot ever form the core of the university’s community. Research institutions like APL and the Space Telescope Science Institute could easily be stand-alone institutions. The emphasis and focus should always be on the undergraduate schools.

That certainly wasn’t the case when I attended Hopkins. Compared to the three universities that I attended other than Hopkins, Hopkins had by far the worst quality of teaching. Faculty seemed to deem teaching a chore, and their poor quality of teaching reflected that. I also don’t understand what is good about “academic rigor”. Other top schools have academic rigor, but Hopkins took it to an extreme. I once got a 5 out of a 100 on an advanced physics test … and it was a passing grade. That’s just nuts … and stupid. The f*cking physics professor should have been fired for giving a test where even a class full of graduate students failed to break an average score of 20 out of 100. Another idiot Hopkins professor spent the entire semester deriving equations on a chalkboard without explaining why the equations were important or why we were deriving them. That guy should have been fired, too.

President Daniels has clearly prioritized improving the undergraduate experience without neglecting the graduate schools and research institutions. Some don’t like the new emphasis, but it’s way overdue. I can’t believe it took nearly 150 years for Hopkins to finally build a decent student center.

Ok … rant over.

*Drops Mic*

DocBarrister
other people tell you if you dropped a mic.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:54 pm

Ok … rant over.

*Drops Mic*

DocBarrister
:?

I can’t believe you got even this wrong. :roll:

*Ahem*

Dropping a mic is an inherently boastful act. It must be done by the person who is boasting. Boasting is the entire point of dropping a mic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mic_drop

*Drops Mic (Again)*

DocBarrister 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:54 pm

Ok … rant over.

*Drops Mic*

DocBarrister

I can’t believe you got even this wrong. :roll:

*Ahem*

Dropping a mic is an inherently boastful act. It must be done by the person who is boasting. Boasting is the entire point of dropping a mic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mic_drop

DocBarrister 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
i'm talking about on social.
but wiki, boastful... checks out.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://hub.jhu.edu/2022/09/12/us-news- ... ings-2022/

university release. 15 to 7 is pretty impressive considering we don't have a law school or business school to draw donors from.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:59 pmI once got a 5 out of a 100 on an advanced physics test … and it was a passing grade. That’s just nuts … and stupid.
I once at Maryland got a 79/150 on an undergrad physics test at Maryland and figured I just bombed the hell out of it. Turned out that it was an A+ as the average test score was a 37/150. Which just told me the same thing you were thinking...man the Professor did a really bad job teaching us.

To be fair to that teacher, he was an engineering physics* teacher who stepped in to teach us bio physics kids because our regular teacher had a nervous meltdown a quarter into the semester.

* Physics for engineering was a lot harder than the physics for bio majors. Much more calc based and most of us hadn't even taken calc yet.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Isn't this just part of the college experience? I spent the entirety of freshman chemistry at JHU worried I was bombing the class because I was hovering around like a 50% average on all the exams. Didn't actually talk to anyone else about how they had been doing all semester and only learned shortly before the final that I was not alone and we were on quite a curve. Whatever the professor was trying to teach sure wasn't landing with any of us or at the very least the exam questions were not aligned with what we were actually being taught.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

veterans memorial wall sounds really nice what is the story there.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”