D1 Mens Lacrosse
3rdPersonPlural

Re: CORNELL 2025

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

laxjuris wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:33 pm
Ezra White wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:02 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:25 pm
Ezra White wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:12 pm
Nurry is a bit more difficult to assess, since I'm not sure of the caliber of the opposing players in his highlights. Nonetheless, his decision for a pg year may be more about the upperclassmen who would be in front of him at attack than about his readiness to play D-I lacrosse.
If you look at the jerseys in his video, he's up against IMG, Chaminade, Lawrenceville, and (I I believe) Malvern Prep.

You'll not find many better Pre-Collegiate defenses and goalies than found on those squads.

I did notice. I believe I also saw Hill Academy. But not everyone on such teams are future D1 players, let alone future HOF members. In other words, much of the video shows Nurry 1-on-1 against 1, 2, or even 3 opponents, and indeed the schools are known for high-level players. But without knowing who the players are, or seeing more of them on film, it's just hard to judge exactly how good they are.
While we never know for sure until they arrive on campus, I think Nurry is going to be the real deal.
Nurry is going to spend a year practicing against an all star crew of D1 poles at Loomis (check out the NEWest1 thread over in the HS Boys folder) and playing against the best cover guys in a very tough league this year. I dunno if that is more growth than he'd get playing against Cornells starting poles as a scout team attacker, but it will not be an easy task for the kid....
drunkmonkey30

Adler interview

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Nice article on Gavin on the Inside Lacrosse from a podcast interview. Think Joe Willie will appreciate the Jets reference at the end!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... orld/63925

Didn't realize he was injured in the tourney last year.
another fan

Post by another fan »

2025 roster up— without freshmen.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

2. CJ Kirst, Cornell
The only finalist (2022 and ’23) back on this list, Kirst’s 230 career points aided the Big Red to incredible efficiency in his time. They were third-best adjusted efficiency offense last year, and with Michael Long (5.0 points per game) and young, budding stars Willem Firth and Ryan Goldstein back, he and Cornell could put up mind-boggling offensive numbers.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lent/63977
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

5. Cornell
Record: 9-5, 5-1
Finish: Ivy League Semifinalists
Notable losses: Lombardi, Wirtheim, Blake, Petrakis, Psyllos, Follows, Boccafola
Notable seniors: Kirst, Long, Kelleher, Sheehan, Dalton, Graham, Caddigan, Bozzi, Davis, Knust
Returning contributors: Firth, Goldstein, Singer, Nikolic, Gilmartin, Staub, Cascadden, Dooley, Tully
Incoming class
What a painful experience it must be for opposing defensive coordinators to have to prepare for another year of the CJ Kirst and Michael Long partnership.

The duo led Cornell to the third highest-scoring offense in the country, ranking third in efficiency, too. Kirst finished with a team-high 67 points, while Long’s 5.0 points per game were a team-high, having played two fewer games. With freshmen phenoms Willem Firth and Ryan Goldstein now sophomores, this Cornell offense could undoubtedly be as potent in 2025.

The Big Red were involved in some of the season’s most exciting games, and that’s a result of their porous defense, which ranked 32nd in our efficiency ratings. Think back to their early season 17-16 loss to Denver, or their last-gasp 15-14 win vs. Princeton, the midweek 18-17 shootout victory vs. the Orange and lastly the 18-17 defeat to Notre Dame.

Part of that was due to their revolving door in between the pipes, with Wyatt Knust losing his job to freshman Matthew Tully before re-taking it in relief later in the season. With four-star Lawrenceville product Timmy Piacentini coming into the goalie room, how will that impact things for the better?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -bid/63965
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Heard that Maryland and Cornell are doing a fall scrimmage. I don’t have details
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Yes, in College Park (last year the Terps made the trip to Ithaca, something most opposing coaches wouldn't do for a FallBall scrimmage).
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:47 pm Yes, in College Park (last year the Terps made the trip to Ithaca, something most opposing coaches wouldn't do for a FallBall scrimmage).
Tillman probably just wants to get some pumpkin ice cream at Purity.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:47 pm Yes, in College Park (last year the Terps made the trip to Ithaca, something most opposing coaches wouldn't do for a FallBall scrimmage).
Oct 26th Cornell in Byrd at 2pm.
mfp

Post by mfp »

First Class Lacrosse: Cornell's CJ Kirst | The Most Difficult Match-Up in College Lacrosse [YouTube]
https://youtu.be/cgv4ttZFZHE?si=zYun9hXip4iZBOEk
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I believe the link was produced before last season.
My point is that IMO, opponents scouted Kirst well and adapted on how (best) to defend him.
The narrator talks about the multiple ways in which Kirst can beat his man...and cites the lefty roll-back as the number one threat. I think that last season defenders made an effort to stay "top side" (or...over play him to his left) rather than get sucked too low by an initial move to the right trying to get underneath his man. It just seemed to me that in spite of Kirst's tremendous strength, he wasn't able to get separation last season, let alone hands free on the roll back.
'Not to mention doubles coming from Kirst's left.
This coming season, I'd expect to see more of an effort to keep defenders honest by rolling back and driving hard right. As well as more big-little stuff.
mfp

Post by mfp »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:06 pm I believe the link was produced before last season.
My point is that IMO, opponents scouted Kirst well and adapted on how (best) to defend him.
The narrator talks about the multiple ways in which Kirst can beat his man...and cites the lefty roll-back as the number one threat. I think that last season defenders made an effort to stay "top side" (or...over play him to his left) rather than get sucked too low by an initial move to the right trying to get underneath his man. It just seemed to me that in spite of Kirst's tremendous strength, he wasn't able to get separation last season, let alone hands free on the roll back.
'Not to mention doubles coming from Kirst's left.
This coming season, I'd expect to see more of an effort to keep defenders honest by rolling back and driving hard right. As well as more big-little stuff.
Ah, right. I missed the publish date on the video. The algorithm knew what to feed me so I thought it was new! :-) The benefit of my mistake is that we got your excellent analysis, VeryRustyRed. Thanks for that. :-)
mfp

Post by mfp »

’26 Storm DJ Xavier Commits to Cornell
https://boys.team91lacrosse.com/2026-st ... o-cornell/

This adds to the solid, steady flow of goalies in the program. That competition will raise the level of each of them.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dclaxer

Post by Dclaxer »

My buddy wrote a great book about Cornell in the 1970’s that dives into Eamon in a very detailed way. What an amazing athlete and leader. Must read for any Cornell fan.

https://a.co/d/fk3M7Xn
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Attachments
IMG_1047 (1).JPG
IMG_1047 (1).JPG (89.09 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Slim

Post by Slim »

#10 Wild Irish Rose 8-)
The Best Ever (IMO)