Ivy League 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Neverplaydown

Re: Ivy League 2021

Post by Neverplaydown »

Ivy league having season is Slim to None. You know what happened to Slim?
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

But to decline a decision and force specific teams/programs to cancel -- that's a failure of leadership.
+1

Ivy presidents lacked the creativity to allow for athletics to take place safely as other conferences have and the foresight to be upfront that their default position from the get was that there would be no athletics in the '20 -'21 school year so student-athletes could plan accordingly. It certainly appears that the league presidents were intent upon proving a point about academics over all else (fair enough) while ensuring that tuition would be paid by as large a percentage of students as possible, some of whom were hoping to play a sport.
Finish Strong
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Sportin' Life wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:28 pm
But to decline a decision and force specific teams/programs to cancel -- that's a failure of leadership.
+1

Ivy presidents lacked the creativity to allow for athletics to take place safely as other conferences have and the foresight to be upfront that their default position from the get was that there would be no athletics in the '20 -'21 school year so student-athletes could plan accordingly. It certainly appears that the league presidents were intent upon proving a point about academics over all else (fair enough) while ensuring that tuition would be paid by as large a percentage of students as possible, some of whom were hoping to play a sport.
I disagree only slightly while agreeing with most of your points. I think there was hope by the Ivy presidents back in November that things would be better in the spring -- like they have been in some other countries (Korea/Japan, etc.). But the fact that the surge has happened -- even with good news about vaccines -- meant they did not want to bring back the full student bodies. Okay, fine. That was foreseeable by January 1. Stand up front, say "we can't bring our students back for these reasons, and thus we are also cancelling athletics" and take the hard questions.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:36 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:28 pm
+1

I disagree only slightly while agreeing with most of your points. I think there was hope by the Ivy presidents back in November that things would be better in the spring -- like they have been in some other countries (Korea/Japan, etc.). But the fact that the surge has happened -- even with good news about vaccines -- meant they did not want to bring back the full student bodies. Okay, fine. That was foreseeable by January 1. Stand up front, say "we can't bring our students back for these reasons, and thus we are also cancelling athletics" and take the hard questions.
I wonder if they did know, internally, which is why TD bounced awhile ago, and Shay encouraged his decision.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the navy schedule has penn on it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:24 pm the navy schedule has penn on it.
I had heard that Penn is all in on a season. We will see if it holds.
“I wish you would!”
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Regardless of one's opinions of how it was handled, or whether it was the right the decision. The whole situation is tragic.

Look at 2020 prior to the ending of lax. The IVY was stacked, winning big games OOC (except one at Amherst), and was lined up for a great gauntlet in league play culminating with the IVY, then NCAA tourney.

Not much more to say, other than NCAA lacrosse as a whole will suffer this season without them in the equation.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:25 pm
I'll be rooting for Penn (and any other Ivy) if they manage to pull it off. Dribbles of information that have reached me make it sound like Princeton, Harvard and Cornell might be the next shoes to drop.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

calourie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:36 pm
I'll be rooting for Penn (and any other Ivy) if they manage to pull it off. Dribbles of information that have reached me make it sound like Princeton, Harvard and Cornell might be the next shoes to drop.
I’d bet they could get three local games with little
effort, assuming no Ivy league opponents on their
schedule.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:30 pm Regardless of one's opinions of how it was handled, or whether it was the right the decision. The whole situation is tragic.

Look at 2020 prior to the ending of lax. The IVY was stacked, winning big games OOC (except one at Amherst), and was lined up for a great gauntlet in league play culminating with the IVY, then NCAA tourney.

Not much more to say, other than NCAA lacrosse as a whole will suffer this season without them in the equation.
hahvahd actually got the dub.
Typical Lax Dad

Pretty much the entire Junior and Senior classes of men’s and, I believe, women lacrosse players withdrew for the academic year at Princeton this year. I am a little less clear on Harvard but I believe a lot of kids were not enrolled.
“I wish you would!”
smoova

Post by smoova »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:21 pm Pretty much the entire Junior and Senior classes of men’s and, I believe, women lacrosse players withdrew for the academic year at Princeton this year. I am a little less clear on Harvard but I believe a lot of kids were not enrolled.
Goodbye HS2022 recruiting classes.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:07 pm
I’d bet they could get three local games with little
effort, assuming no Ivy league opponents on their
schedule.
Maybe they could make it the Big Five at the Palestra (box lacrosse)...😂

And add Drexel for fun.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:17 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:30 pm Regardless of one's opinions of how it was handled, or whether it was the right the decision. The whole situation is tragic.

hahvahd actually got the dub.
Yale didn’t, Crimson did last year. Coach Byrne in his first year as HC on his return to Amherst. Great New England rivalry. Same sentiments, bad for lax no Ivy
Typical Lax Dad

smoova wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:21 pm Pretty much the entire Junior and Senior classes of men’s and, I believe, women lacrosse players withdrew for the academic year at Princeton this year. I am a little less clear on Harvard but I believe a lot of kids were not enrolled.
I have a friend with a son that’s a 2023. Kids started reclassing over the summer because of that.
“I wish you would!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I just read Quint's Top 20. It's interesting to see who gets elevated without 3-4 Ivies in the top 20.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:09 pm
I have a friend with a son that’s a 2023. Kids started reclassing over the summer because of that.
I imagine that the NESCAC 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes will be loaded.
Typical Lax Dad

smoova wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:36 pm
2022 more so than 2023 if I had to guess.
“I wish you would!”
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

smoova wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:36 pm
I am sure you are right, Smoova. And, as the parent of a recent NESCAC lax son and a current IVY lax son, I can tell you without hesitation that the boys in that NESCAC overload will have the times of their lives. Probably the perfect lacrosse experience (when it works like it should).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not sure I understand such predictions...are we saying that we don't expect a 2022 Ivy lax season?? Or that PU won't support the roster slots for that class?

Dartmouth will have a weird situation, no freshman in first half of season (all freshmen at home in winter trimester, no juniors in the second half (all juniors off in the spring trimester). They're preparing to be able to play, if allowed, with whoever is on campus when/if there's any competition allowed...that'll still require a lifting of student activity travel restrictions.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”