Ivy League 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Ivy League 2021

Post by FannOLax »

Who knows if there will be a 2021 Ivy season, but the Brown men's and women's lacrosse teams have petitioned the IL for one:
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ivy-league
Counselor

Re: Ivy League 2021

Post by Counselor »

Let Harvard opt-out if that’s its choice ...others should not be held hostage...Ivy League is becoming a caricature of itself!
Time to cope intelligently ...and join the rest of the real world
in participating in lacrosse...Ivy’s sister league, the Patriot, has found a way...let the student-athletes be responsible for their destinies this season !
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I guess the science from Ivy Cornell Grad. Dr. Fauci is not even enough to sway them. Let's hope they come around.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Sadly, I'm a bit pessimistic (although I would love to be wrong). The arrival of the vaccine is tremendous, but it will take time to ramp up and healthy college aged athletes won't be vaccinated this spring. In the meantime, the UK variant -- significantly more contagious -- is on American shores and may be the dominant strain by March, according to some scientists. Early hopes for metaphorically bluer skies this spring with much lower community spread and hospitalization rates seem much less likely. I know that other leagues, including the Patriot, are competing, but previous statements by the Ivy League that things would have to materially change with respect to the pandemic to allow spring sports are what causes the pessimism.

With 400,000 dead, I know in the big picture another lost season of Ivy lacrosse is a minor thing, but I feel for the players and it will take some time, one would think, for the league as a whole to recover.

Hoping the FanLax Ivy community is healthy and well.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Meanwhile, a recent study indicated that some 950,000 Americans will have died from everything related to the shutdown and lost jobs,, stress, drug addiction, suicides, etc., dwarfing the actual toll from the virus. We the people are smart enough to co exist with this virus and make our own decisions. The Government is killing us as much as the virus. Thank you Cuomo, DeBlasio, Newsome, Murphy, etc. Meanwhile Fauci is throwing baseballs out, sitting for magazine covers and badmouthing the previous administration.

Let the Ivy League get bad press and lose quality athletes but just the student athletes play!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

livelovelax wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:18 pm Meanwhile, a recent study indicated that some 950,000 Americans will have died from everything related to the shutdown
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that you didn't post a link to this "study."
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

My guess is liberal universities will fall in line and put athletics on the back burner. Hopefully we get some seasons from the rest. This has got to be tough on athletes that have trained to get this far.
Last edited by bauer4429 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

livelovelax wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:18 pm Meanwhile, a recent study indicated that some 950,000 Americans will have died from everything related to the shutdown and lost jobs,, stress, drug addiction, suicides, etc., dwarfing the actual toll from the virus. We the people are smart enough to co exist with this virus and make our own decisions. The Government is killing us as much as the virus. Thank you Cuomo, DeBlasio, Newsome, Murphy, etc. Meanwhile Fauci is throwing baseballs out, sitting for magazine covers and badmouthing the previous administration.

Let the Ivy League get bad press and lose quality athletes but just the student athletes play!
There are definitely collateral effects from COVID-19 -- mental health related issues of the type you mention -- as well as people not seeking medical care. I'd be interested to see that study because 950,000 does not sound probable for mortality alone, as opposed to incidences of negative outcomes including but not limited to mortality. It is objectively true that the hospitals are full -- there is not much room in ICUs in many cases -- so unfortunately it's not a matter of "co-existing with the virus" (a novel virus, unlike the flu).

I tend to be forward facing and more willing to assume risk on things like playing sports -- I think the outcomes in those age ranges mean it is possible if managed -- but I understand the difficult dilemma facing university administrators. I'm grateful to Dr. Fauci, whom I have heard speak in person and who in his 70s suited up in full hazmat gear to treat the Ebola patient housed at NIH and is beloved at NIH as a doctor's doctor -- and to the many doctors, nurses, CNAs, and hospital and clinic workers who have been on the frontlines of this.

In the meantime, we will wait and see what the Ivies do. If they cancel the spring season, I will make sure I get the subscriptions I need to watch "Yale West," aka Denver, play, particularly if TD Ireland transfers to Denver as is rumored.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

livelovelax wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:18 pm Meanwhile, a recent study indicated that some 950,000 Americans will have died from everything related to the shutdown and lost jobs,, stress, drug addiction, suicides, etc., dwarfing the actual toll from the virus. We the people are smart enough to co exist with this virus and make our own decisions. The Government is killing us as much as the virus. Thank you Cuomo, DeBlasio, Newsome, Murphy, etc. Meanwhile Fauci is throwing baseballs out, sitting for magazine covers and badmouthing the previous administration.

+1
This aspect of the pandemic does not get NEARLY enough attention as it is VERY VERY damaging. We can co-exist with this virus and we are going to continue to do so more and more as the year progresses. "The Uk Variant" is a mutation, viruses have thousands of them. If it is indeed more transmissible and does NOT cause more severe disease(which so far what many scientists are saying, it's NOT the end of the world and quite predictable. If people thought that this virus wouldn't mutate, then they aren't using their basic critical thinking skills. And it's NOT A NEW STRAIN of CV-19, its a Variant. There's a major difference and many people can't make that distinction because they are so caught up in the sensationalistic nature of the way the "news" is delivered to them. Continue to take the same protective measures and live your life to the best of your ability. Those mentioned above have made the pandemic tenfold worse in their respective states, you got that right! It's a crying shame that the Ivies are likely not playing this spring, bottom line.

Joe
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:18 pm

+1
This aspect of the pandemic does not get NEARLY enough attention as it is VERY VERY damaging. We can co-exist with this virus and we are going to continue to do so more and more as the year progresses. "The Uk Variant" is a mutation, viruses have thousands of them. If it is indeed more transmissible and does NOT cause more severe disease(which so far what many scientists are saying, it's NOT the end of the world and quite predictable. If people thought that this virus wouldn't mutate, then they aren't using their basic critical thinking skills. And it's NOT A NEW STRAIN of CV-19, its a Variant. There's a major difference and many people can't make that distinction because they are so caught up in the sensationalistic nature of the way the "news" is delivered to them. Continue to take the same protective measures and live your life to the best of your ability. Those mentioned above have made the pandemic tenfold worse in their respective states, you got that right! It's a crying shame that the Ivies are likely not playing this spring, bottom line.

Joe
If the UK variant is just more contagious, that's still a problem, given the hospitalization rates around the country (this is a major issue In the UK). However, it could be more virulent as well. Discouraging data came out today from the UK that may indicate higher death rates, as well. There is some chance this could turn out to be a false alarm since this while an analysis of a small dataset in which sequencing was available -- we should all hope for that. In the meantime, even without the UK variant as the dominant strain in the US, there are 4000 COVID-19 deaths per day. It's going to continue to be a hard winter. With the vaccine, though, there is hope to come -- it just might not save spring sports in the Ivy League.

I think I started the "medical hijack" of this thread with my "pessimism" post about if Ivy lacrosse will go forward. I don't think we will likely convince each other of our respective viewpoints on public health so I'll drop the argument on my end at this point. Have a good weekend.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:03 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:18 pm

+1

Joe
If the UK variant is just more contagious, that's still a problem, given the hospitalization rates around the country (this is a major issue In the UK). However, it could be more virulent as well. Discouraging data came out today from the UK that may indicate higher death rates, as well. There is some chance this could turn out to be a false alarm since this while an analysis of a small dataset in which sequencing was available -- we should all hope for that. In the meantime, even without the UK variant as the dominant strain in the US, there are 4000 COVID-19 deaths per day. It's going to continue to be a hard winter. With the vaccine, though, there is hope to come -- it just might not save spring sports in the Ivy League.

I think I started the "medical hijack" of this thread with my "pessimism" post about if Ivy lacrosse will go forward. I don't think we will likely convince each other of our respective viewpoints on public health so I'll drop the argument on my end at this point. Have a good weekend.
We can agree on that, for sure!! Let's look forward to lacrosse, as it's going to be played and we should be grateful for that. I don't look at the number of deaths on a daily basis, because as you said, it's unfortunate but also the heart of winter and things were always going to be bad now. Let's get back to lacrosse, Denver-Utah in almost a weeks time!! Go Utes!

Joe
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

One theory
Testing everyday in college basketball and putting 12 players in a bubble is feasible. Putting 50-60 lacrosse players in a bubble with daily testing is not. If 1-2 guys test positive, games will be canceled and teams will shut down. Sadly, I can see this happening on a widespread basis. The Ivy League may think the chances of completing a season are so slim that not starting is a better option. I don’t agree with that but there is some logic to it.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Counselor wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:21 pm Let Harvard opt-out if that’s its choice ...others should not be held hostage...Ivy League is becoming a caricature of itself!
in participating in lacrosse...Ivy’s sister league, the Patriot, has found a way...let the student-athletes be responsible for their destinies this season !
AMEN, Counselor! Let the DAMN PLAYERS PLAY!!
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Lot of nonsense written above.
sanelaxparent

Post by sanelaxparent »

I think Harvard, which has its own medical school, has a lot to answer for in how it has responded to COVID and the subsequent treatment of its students. Applied for PPP despite $40bn endowment (retracted after caught out by the press). Didn't bring students back on campus. Kept tuition the same, no discount for remote learning. Left student athletes - and students as a whole - in limbo as to whether there would be sports every single season until the last minute. It's hard not to read Harvard's overall attitude as arrogance, and a very indifferent attitude toward its students, combined with a reputation for antipathy toward student athletes that is so disappointing..
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Atticus wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:53 pm
Counselor wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:21 pm Let Harvard opt-out if that’s its choice ...others should not be held hostage...Ivy League is becoming a caricature of itself!
AMEN, Counselor! Let the DAMN PLAYERS PLAY!!
+1
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

It took 2 seconds to research this from a huge list of similar articles which supports what was posted earlier. Nonsense? I am surprised you didn't use the term conspiracy……….or that has been debunked.

https://weartv.com/news/coronavirus/exp ... own-damage
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:17 pm Sadly, I'm a bit pessimistic (although I would love to be wrong). The arrival of the vaccine is tremendous, but it will take time to ramp up and healthy college aged athletes won't be vaccinated this spring. In the meantime, the UK variant -- significantly more contagious -- is on American shores and may be the dominant strain by March, according to some scientists. Early hopes for metaphorically bluer skies this spring with much lower community spread and hospitalization rates seem much less likely. I know that other leagues, including the Patriot, are competing, but previous statements by the Ivy League that things would have to materially change with respect to the pandemic to allow spring sports are what causes the pessimism.

With 400,000 dead, I know in the big picture another lost season of Ivy lacrosse is a minor thing, but I feel for the players and it will take some time, one would think, for the league as a whole to recover.

Hoping the FanLax Ivy community is healthy and well.
Unfortunately, I think that The Orfling is probably right. The League has made its position clear; some might say that the Ivy powers that be have painted themselves into a corner. The League can either change its position, which seems rather unlikely, or infection rates and other health indicators would need to improve markedly and soon; if not, no Ivy 2021 lacrosse season. I wish it were otherwise. I also agree with Orfling that it will probably take time for the League to recover; the lack of a 2021 season would almost surely hurt Ivy recruiting of top players, with elite academic non-Ivy schools like John Hopkins and Duke likely to benefit the most. I very much hope that there will be 2021 Ivy lacrosse, but I don't see it as likely.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

livelovelax wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:06 am It took 2 seconds to research this from a huge list of similar articles which supports what was posted earlier. Nonsense? I am surprised you didn't use the term conspiracy……….or that has been debunked.

https://weartv.com/news/coronavirus/exp ... own-damage
To be clear, however, it's not a 'study', it's a political statement.
Yes, easy google search to find lots of responses to it. Pretty universally rejected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bar ... eclaration

What you posted as fact was simply politically motivated conjecture.

That said, of course there are knock on effects of severe mitigation strategies, including "lockdowns"...and some of these are of course negative. And these should indeed be taken into account.

The most severe lockdown was in China...very, very 'severe'.
It would be interesting to understand the degree of negative knock on effects of their strategy and its implementation versus one which was less severe and then lifted before complete only to need to reinstate partially...

But this isn't really germane to the discussion of whether/when and in what form the Ivies will play lax in the coming year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

sanelaxparent wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:47 am I think Harvard, which has its own medical school, has a lot to answer for in how it has responded to COVID and the subsequent treatment of its students. Applied for PPP despite $40bn endowment (retracted after caught out by the press). Didn't bring students back on campus. Kept tuition the same, no discount for remote learning. Left student athletes - and students as a whole - in limbo as to whether there would be sports every single season until the last minute. It's hard not to read Harvard's overall attitude as arrogance, and a very indifferent attitude toward its students, combined with a reputation for antipathy toward student athletes that is so disappointing..
Are you speaking as Harvard lax parent or as a current Harvard athlete or Harvard alum/athlete?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”