Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bdgr

Re: Recruiting

Post by Bdgr »

njbill wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:45 am Lax Numbers.

https://www.laxnumbers.com/recruits.php ... 5&gender=W
Thanks, is there any sites that update with daily commits? I don’t have the brain power to see and compare from the day/week before.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sometimes (though not always) it seems that Lax Numbers puts the newest recruits on the top of their page. You can also search by name, high school, state, and college, which can be helpful.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Wow, MD really not locking down the in state hotbeds. MD could be in the championship hunt every year with in state talent only. I think they have to dominate the state (as the PSU FB coach says) if they want to have success.

Only 1 girl so far from SPSG & McDonogh School going to MD.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.74 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

The USF commit isn't on there. She's from the IAAM
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:56 am

The USF commit isn't on there. She's from the IAAM
Lax numbers is usually a few days behind. Again, and I'm not the owner of the page, but the WLax Recruiting Numbers on facebook is really good. Much more up to date than lax numbers.
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

IL # 8 , Quinn Whitaker to Boston College
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... recruiting

Nice little article written by a parent going through this recruiting cycle. Really helps us keep things in perspective. This is a very stressful time for alot of girls who aren't top level talents.
Upstater

Post by Upstater »

It’s been great reading through this forum. I’m surprised that Princeton doesn’t have any commitments yet. Any theories on this?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Upstater wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:36 pm It’s been great reading through this forum. I’m surprised that Princeton doesn’t have any commitments yet. Any theories on this?
Swung for the fences. Girls all went somewhere else. Still have offers out
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:46 am
Bdgr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:27 am Not sure who usf got today, for some reason there aren’t any updates on IL women instagram account or on their webpage. Anyone else having issue or know a better place to see the commits as they role in?
Best I've seen is WLax Recruiting Numbers on FB. Guy does his homework for sure. Seems to be updated at least once a day.

USF commit Lily Peek from Skywalkers.
Wlax constantly updates. I agree the best up to date. Misses a few here and there and then parents get mad. Only bad part is if you don’t catch the update you don’t see who is recruited there. Lax numbers is better for that. Can collate the team, position, etc. usually a day behind.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Upstater wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:36 pm It’s been great reading through this forum. I’m surprised that Princeton doesn’t have any commitments yet. Any theories on this?
Princeton typically averages commitments much later than most schools. I'm not familiar with the enrollment process at Princeton (maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light) but it's probably long. Maybe that factors in. But with all that said, it is a bit unusual not to even have a single commitment at this stage. Jenn Cook is a second year head coach coming off a disappointing 7-9 season. My guess is alot of recruits are unsure about the direction of the program. Still a lot of talent on the team and i expect them to bounce back once Cook settles in.
Upstater

Post by Upstater »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:53 pm
Princeton typically averages commitments much later than most schools. I'm not familiar with the enrollment process at Princeton (maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light) but it's probably long. Maybe that factors in. But with all that said, it is a bit unusual not to even have a single commitment at this stage. Jenn Cook is a second year head coach coming off a disappointing 7-9 season. My guess is alot of recruits are unsure about the direction of the program. Still a lot of talent on the team and i expect them to bounce back once Cook settles in.
I was wondering about a longer process at first, but saw their men’s team already has 8 commitments.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Lax832s wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:39 pm
TNLAX wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:41 am
GratefulRed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:11 pm
Lax832s wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:21 pm I am an unranked player in the class of 2025. I live in the Philadelphia area and have played with and against many of the ranked 5 star recruits in my class. I haven’t really attended any prospect camps or showcases besides AU futures and UA underclass all- American games or gotten any exposure besides tournaments my club team has attended. I consider myself a skilled player but have yet to be contacted by any coaches. I send emails to my target list of schools once every one to two weeks and have received little to no response. I am very realistic with my talent and understand that i’m most likely not going to a top 25 program but I am confident enough that I could potentially fit in at a division 1 program. Does anyone have any advice to get myself out there.
Hey Lax832s, you are already displaying important skills that will help you advance in lax and life--continuous self-evaluation and persistence. Once this chaotic first wave of recruiting crashes, coaches will be refocusing on the fall/winter circuit to find the players to round out the class. You could gain a little more traction with/attention from your target schools and also the luxury of a little more time to consider your options.

Generally, I think it is better to attend camps at your target schools rather than bigger showcases, but I will leave it to the folks here who are more current to recommend specific events, etc.

Stay patient, persistent and open-minded. Keep hustling in the classroom/community and prioritize your college choices according to how well they will help you meet your life goals. You have a ton of time to find the right fit.

Please keep us posted!
I would suggest two actions:

1. Pick up the phone and call the college coaches you are interested in playing for. Don't leave a VM if they don't pick up, just keep calling at different times of the day until you actually reach them and have a conversation. This tells the coach you are serious about being a student athlete at their school. Anyone can email a coach, but it takes a lot of confidence and maturity to call them and have a conversation.

2. Have your high school coach reach out to the same coaches. Most college coaches are more interested in talking to HS coaches because the HS coach knows you much better than a club director and can have a more detailed oriented conversation with a college coach as to the type of person and player you are.

My two cents.

Thanks for the advice. Are you sure about contacting coaches directly on the phone though? I was always told that calling or texting without permission was overstepping.
Just curious, who told you it would be over stepping? Your club coach or the your club director and wants to make all the contacts?

Nothing comes easy in this life. You have to go out and grab what you want or deserve. Coaches need solid players with good character on their teams. Everyone who plays in college, D1, D2 or D3, wasn't a highly recruited player. Players mature at different times of their careers. Coaches are always looking for players who will make their teams better. Call the coaches and let them know you are one of those players!

And please keep us posted on your successful progress :)
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Upstater wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:18 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:53 pm
I was wondering about a longer process at first, but saw their men’s team already has 8 commitments.
I heard they do have some commits but they haven’t announced yet…no idea on names though.

With every program it’s a different timeframe when you want that info released I guess depending on offers out/timeline for recruits visits. I would imagine they will all drop in one go whenever kids are given the go-ahead but that’s just my guess!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:55 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... recruiting

Nice little article written by a parent going through this recruiting cycle. Really helps us keep things in perspective. This is a very stressful time for alot of girls who aren't top level talents.
Thanks for sharing this -- I agree with many of the author's insights. I have wondered for years why these programs don't designate an intern or junior staffer to send a courteous reply to inbound emails. It would be so easy to differentiate your program as one which is respectful and professional. If an emailer is not on the list of the program's top 50-75 prospects, it is probably safe to send a polite rejection letter with a small caveat -- "...of course this could change in the future" -- in case they really whiff on their top targets. For those players who are on the whiteboard, it is very helpful to let people know where they are on the depth chart. A relatively small number of programs will get back to players/coaches to say, for example, that you are #4 on our list of lefty attackers and we expect to take 2 in the class. We will let you know if you move up the list. I have never known a recipient of this message to take offense -- most really appreciate the honesty even if they disagree with the program's assessment of their potential.

With technology and automation, you are maybe talking about 20-40 hours of an intern's time to significantly improve a program's reputation.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:55 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... recruiting

That article could have been written by any 2025 parent outside the top 30. I was surprised how many teams contacted my daughter on Sept 1. Had conversations with her. Told her they loved her. Said they wanted to set up a visit. That they would call tomorrow And then poof, vanished like Thanos’ finger snap. One coach was all class and called a few days after my daughters visit and said they weren’t gonna offer. The visit went well. She Thought it was a fit but they decided in a different direction. That’s how it needs to be done in my opinion. She was lucky enough to land one of her top 10 schools and early.
But the two sets of standards for what coaches can do and get away with and how players have to act is wrong. There should be respect on both sides. I know we are a soft society these days, but have the courtesy to tell the kid you are going in a different direction. Literally takes fifteen seconds.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:40 pm

That article could have been written by any 2025 parent outside the top 30. I was surprised how many teams contacted my daughter on Sept 1. Had conversations with her. Told her they loved her. Said they wanted to set up a visit. That they would call tomorrow And then poof, vanished like Thanos’ finger snap. One coach was all class and called a few days after my daughters visit and said they weren’t gonna offer. The visit went well. She Thought it was a fit but they decided in a different direction. That’s how it needs to be done in my opinion. She was lucky enough to land one of her top 10 schools and early.
But the two sets of standards for what coaches can do and get away with and how players have to act is wrong. There should be respect on both sides. I know we are a soft society these days, but have the courtesy to tell the kid you are going in a different direction. Literally takes fifteen seconds.
It’s amazing how many of these coaches just ghost kids.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:56 pm

Thanks for sharing this -- I agree with many of the author's insights. I have wondered for years why these programs don't designate an intern or junior staffer to send a courteous reply to inbound emails. It would be so easy to differentiate your program as one which is respectful and professional. If an emailer is not on the list of the program's top 50-75 prospects, it is probably safe to send a polite rejection letter with a small caveat -- "...of course this could change in the future" -- in case they really whiff on their top targets. For those players who are on the whiteboard, it is very helpful to let people know where they are on the depth chart. A relatively small number of programs will get back to players/coaches to say, for example, that you are #4 on our list of lefty attackers and we expect to take 2 in the class. We will let you know if you move up the list. I have never known a recipient of this message to take offense -- most really appreciate the honesty even if they disagree with the program's assessment of their potential.

With technology and automation, you are maybe talking about 20-40 hours of an intern's time to significantly improve a program's reputation.
They don’t have to hire an intern because it is an allowed practice. Nothing happens to them for being this way. Club coaches tell their kids not to disrespect (ghost) a coach. You never know down the line if they will be at your school four years from now. It takes too long for the coach or one of the assistants to take fifteen seconds to reply to an email. Their time is too valuable. 🙄. You called a kid and expressed interest. Have the courtesy to email them back and let them know that interest is gone. It’s that simple.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

+1
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:06 am

+1

I agree that ghosting is a problem, however when the article was written, its really to early in the process for anyone to say they've been ghosted.

Due to the compressed timeline, coaches are chatting with 40-60 girls during the first week of the process. Around 15-20 or so are normally invited to visits. 8-10 offered are made and other girls are usually kept warm. if some folks drop up, then some of the girls from the initial calls may be brought back into the mix.

It is not unusual for a girl to get a second call from a coach in early October after not hearing from them since first week of September.

It may not be right, but its the reality of what happens with the compressed timeline the NCAA and coaches association have put in place.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”