Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Itsallgood

Re: Recruiting

Post by Itsallgood »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:38 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:59 pm I think it is nuts to try to project how high school sophomores (which is what they were the last time they held a lacrosse stick) will do in college. Players may look very good now, but they may plateau. Or they may not be able to adjust to the higher level of competition. Or other things can happen.

I saw Chloe Humphrey shortly after her sophomore year. Looked like a very good player, but I never would’ve said, at that point, that she was going to be a surefire superstar in college. Two years later, it looks more likely that she will turn out to be such, but there is still a degree of uncertainty that applies to her, or any other high school player.

In the 20+ years I have been watching high school players, I have tried to predict in my own mind (generally not written down anywhere or even discussed with others) how I think a player will do in college. The majority of the time, I am wrong. I think they will be better than they turn out to be. Some of the time I am right. It is very rare a player ends up being better than I thought she would be. Izzy Scane is one example in that category.
I can think of many kids I saw play high school age that I knew would be good in college and they were . These were generally kids who played very good competition in HS or on the club level. Sometimes the college you attend works to the detriment however .
Perfect example
Halle Majorana had a very small role while playing at Maryland and certainly benefitted from a different style of play at Syracuse.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Itsallgood wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:42 am
Madlax59 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:38 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:59 pm I think it is nuts to try to project how high school sophomores (which is what they were the last time they held a lacrosse stick) will do in college. Players may look very good now, but they may plateau. Or they may not be able to adjust to the higher level of competition. Or other things can happen.

I saw Chloe Humphrey shortly after her sophomore year. Looked like a very good player, but I never would’ve said, at that point, that she was going to be a surefire superstar in college. Two years later, it looks more likely that she will turn out to be such, but there is still a degree of uncertainty that applies to her, or any other high school player.

In the 20+ years I have been watching high school players, I have tried to predict in my own mind (generally not written down anywhere or even discussed with others) how I think a player will do in college. The majority of the time, I am wrong. I think they will be better than they turn out to be. Some of the time I am right. It is very rare a player ends up being better than I thought she would be. Izzy Scane is one example in that category.
I can think of many kids I saw play high school age that I knew would be good in college and they were . These were generally kids who played very good competition in HS or on the club level. Sometimes the college you attend works to the detriment however .
Perfect example
Halle Majorana had a very small role while playing at Maryland and certainly benefitted from a different style of play at Syracuse.
also: Courtney Fortunato...terrific HS player, great scorer, ride as good as Appuzzo...played at ND.....had a good career but not great. Coaching...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Itsallgood wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:42 am
Perfect example
Perfect example indeed, loved Halle.
Thank you G. Gait for letting your girls play with creativity and innovation.

Some guy on the internet says Belle isn't an elite player.
Absolutely meaningless, she's a superb player. Sure would
rather have her on my team than the one I'm playing against.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:22 pm
Fischer wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:47 pm
laxguy516 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:58 am AS is legit, bottom line. She has a different skill set then 99% of the players that have come before her. The game has evolved and changed so much over the last 20 years and she is the type of player that is going to transform it again. Her style is not for everyone, but it is successful and I believe will continue to be at the next level. Is she the best player in the country in her class? That depends on your philosophy and preferred style of play. She is not the fastest or quickest, but she can dodge, feed and shoot very effectively. Not many players are a triple threat like she is. Emma Ward is the most current player that I feel resembles AS and her style of play. Cuse has found something with that style of player and will continue to use it in their offense. I hope she has a great college career and there are more players emulating her style 10 - 20 years from now. Why? Because its different......
Lol she’s a good player In hs Half the stuff she does will not work against acc defensive units
Fischer, I have to ask, how do you know? She's only a Jr. in HS and she happens to be coached by her Father, who might be the best ALL-AROUND Coach in the Sport. His son, Joey, stepped onto the Syracuse Field and totally was outstanding as a Frosh. Maybe, just maybe, Alexa will hit the ground running similar to her older brother.

We will see.
I think AS will have a great career. However, comparisons to Joey probably aren't fair.

If we are being honest, the cupboard was pretty bare at Cuse going into last season. AS will need to compete with likely college all-Americans to even see the field. Not saying she can't or won't, but a very different situation than what Joey walked into
DMac

Post by DMac »

The sixteen (guessing a little there...15?) year old Jr in HS has many teen girl crisis to go through before she ever steps foot on the SU campus. Cuse has the pre-engagement ring right now (like they did with Wurzburger...I used to be a Wurzburger when I lived in Wurzburg...yes, I realize she was even younger) but a whole lot can change between now and then. Very premature on a lot of this stuff.
Lax832s

Post by Lax832s »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:41 am
GratefulRed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:11 pm
Lax832s wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:21 pm I am an unranked player in the class of 2025. I live in the Philadelphia area and have played with and against many of the ranked 5 star recruits in my class. I haven’t really attended any prospect camps or showcases besides AU futures and UA underclass all- American games or gotten any exposure besides tournaments my club team has attended. I consider myself a skilled player but have yet to be contacted by any coaches. I send emails to my target list of schools once every one to two weeks and have received little to no response. I am very realistic with my talent and understand that i’m most likely not going to a top 25 program but I am confident enough that I could potentially fit in at a division 1 program. Does anyone have any advice to get myself out there.
Hey Lax832s, you are already displaying important skills that will help you advance in lax and life--continuous self-evaluation and persistence. Once this chaotic first wave of recruiting crashes, coaches will be refocusing on the fall/winter circuit to find the players to round out the class. You could gain a little more traction with/attention from your target schools and also the luxury of a little more time to consider your options.

Generally, I think it is better to attend camps at your target schools rather than bigger showcases, but I will leave it to the folks here who are more current to recommend specific events, etc.

Stay patient, persistent and open-minded. Keep hustling in the classroom/community and prioritize your college choices according to how well they will help you meet your life goals. You have a ton of time to find the right fit.

Please keep us posted!
I would suggest two actions:

1. Pick up the phone and call the college coaches you are interested in playing for. Don't leave a VM if they don't pick up, just keep calling at different times of the day until you actually reach them and have a conversation. This tells the coach you are serious about being a student athlete at their school. Anyone can email a coach, but it takes a lot of confidence and maturity to call them and have a conversation.

2. Have your high school coach reach out to the same coaches. Most college coaches are more interested in talking to HS coaches because the HS coach knows you much better than a club director and can have a more detailed oriented conversation with a college coach as to the type of person and player you are.

My two cents.

Thanks for the advice. Are you sure about contacting coaches directly on the phone though? I was always told that calling or texting without permission was overstepping.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Lax832s wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:21 pm I am an unranked player in the class of 2025. I live in the Philadelphia area and have played with and against many of the ranked 5 star recruits in my class. I haven’t really attended any prospect camps or showcases besides AU futures and UA underclass all- American games or gotten any exposure besides tournaments my club team has attended. I consider myself a skilled player but have yet to be contacted by any coaches. I send emails to my target list of schools once every one to two weeks and have received little to no response. I am very realistic with my talent and understand that i’m most likely not going to a top 25 program but I am confident enough that I could potentially fit in at a division 1 program. Does anyone have any advice to get myself out there.
I think you are doing all of the right thing. Just continue to be persistent. As someone else mentioned, keep reaching out via phone and email. And don't just reach out to the head coach. If you are a defender, reach out to the DC.

Self-evaluation is very important. I'd ask your club recruiting director where he/she thinks you may fit and ask the director to additionally reach out on your behalf. To be honest, lots of the girls who aren't hearing anything are targeting schools which are too much of a reach for them, either athletically or academically.

Lots can depend on what club you play for. If you play for a top 40 club, you have probably played in front of every D1 school multiple times. If not, then underexposure could be an issue.

I'd also take a look at the film you have been sending out. Make sure the plays you send show athleticism and Lax IQ. If you are an attacker, no more than 40% of your clips should be goals. you should have assists, off-ball movement, hard work on rides, etc. If you are a middle, make sure to include plays on both ends plus circle work.
fanlaxUN

Post by fanlaxUN »

I would agree with all the suggestions noted. And agree you should take a great deal of pride in the maturity and confidence you are demonstrating in seeking ideas and solutions for your situation. All-star stuff, congrats.

A couple of thoughts...

You have some time, for most programs the full recruiting process completes in the Apr-Jun timeframe following the start of the period. That includes many of the top 30-40 schools.

I would suggest prospect camps are the most effective ways to increase your and your prospective school's understanding of an eventual match. The camps allow you to experience multiple days under the direction of the staff and give you a sense of their personalities and overall way of doing things. It will also give the coaches a chance to watch you.

Second, fine-tune and distribute the film for the reasons mentioned.

For the most part, playing in all the tourneys you have played in over the years is great but keep in mind in-person evaluation at those events is not a principal driver for coaches in their recruiting process. It's just not feasible to educate broadly across some many games, teams, and players in-person - which is why film is so helpful. So also put your efforts into that, and communicate with those staff/programs you like.

Good luck, but it feels like you won't need it!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:19 am Some guy on the internet says Belle isn't an elite player.
Absolutely meaningless, she's a superb player.
I completely agree here, D. And that's all I want to be known as--just some guy on the internet.

I agree--she's a superb player. Just one stop short of elite. I gave a fuller explanation yesterday:
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:36 am Belle Smith is right there. Fantastic player--yes. Does a lot of things extremely well all over the field. If she has a stellar senior year, she may move up to elite status in my view. But (and does this really need to be said? Apparently so) this is only my estimation. An opinion. Youse have your opinions, I have mine's.

I can't go strictly off numbers and awards. First Team All-American is not synonymous with elite. There is also the eyeball test. For instance, some players stay out on the field and continue to pad stats long after the game has been decided. Am I supposed to cheer the fact that a player who set the single season goal record is still out there scoring against Radford with a running clock late in the 4th quarter?

Below is by no means an exhaustive list. And in no particular order. Just some other players I classify as elite whom I've ​watched over the past few years:

Goaltenders: Megan Taylor, Molly Laliberty

Defenders: Meghan Ball, Lizzie Colson, Emma Trenchard

Midfielders: Marie McCool, Jenna Collins, Dempsey Arsenault, Ally Mastroianni, Ally Kennedy

And a few more Attackers: Sam Apuzzo, Gabby Rosenzweig, Charlotte North, Kayla Treanor, Livy Rosenzweig, Selena Lasota, Megan Whittle, Kenzie Kent, Caroline Steele, Kyla Sears, Kylie Ohlmiller, Julia Collins, Jamie Ortega, Kristin Gaudian
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:03 pm
I think you are doing all of the right thing. Just continue to be persistent. As someone else mentioned, keep reaching out via phone and email. And don't just reach out to the head coach. If you are a defender, reach out to the DC.

Self-evaluation is very important. I'd ask your club recruiting director where he/she thinks you may fit and ask the director to additionally reach out on your behalf. To be honest, lots of the girls who aren't hearing anything are targeting schools which are too much of a reach for them, either athletically or academically.

Lots can depend on what club you play for. If you play for a top 40 club, you have probably played in front of every D1 school multiple times. If not, then underexposure could be an issue.

I'd also take a look at the film you have been sending out. Make sure the plays you send show athleticism and Lax IQ. If you are an attacker, no more than 40% of your clips should be goals. you should have assists, off-ball movement, hard work on rides, etc. If you are a middle, make sure to include plays on both ends plus circle work.
Stay upbeat with your recruiting! It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding what a top tier player looks like. Understand that most all college coaches first trait they judge is a player's athletism. The top athletes commit early for a reason. You need to look there first. You absolutely can improve speed and quickness, plenty of time before you are in college, but you may have until this summer for recruiting. Use your training time to work smart! The competition is tough, but there is a place for you. You will probably find the school you end up at, but lean on your club's recruiting director as much as you can.
Btwn30slax

Post by Btwn30slax »

I know this is my first post but been following the what was rude I didn’t know you guys were talking to me cycle. Under reported in this whole process is how much of a disaster this cycle has been for Stony Brook. We have heard for years that the staff there is trying to keep the best talent on Long Island and how they couldn’t fathom why the best didn’t consider a perennial top 10 team. JS has coached the top talent on the Island for years as their club coach and couldn’t keep any of them home INCLUDING his own daughter. I just don’t want to hear the pearl clutching by SBU supporters
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Btwn30slax wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:29 pm I know this is my first post but been following the what was rude I didn’t know you guys were talking to me cycle. Under reported in this whole process is how much of a disaster this cycle has been for Stony Brook. We have heard for years that the staff there is trying to keep the best talent on Long Island and how they couldn’t fathom why the best didn’t consider a perennial top 10 team. JS has coached the top talent on the Island for years as their club coach and couldn’t keep any of them home INCLUDING his own daughter. I just don’t want to hear the pearl clutching by SBU supporters
I mentioned something earlier.....how do you "sell" your school and lacrosse program to recruits when you cant keep your own daughter - who could arguable help your team in a big way?? And yes he has preached ^^ and for many years - this has been his mantra. "You dont need to leave Long Island to play for a big program" Are any of his own 2025s going to SBU?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Btwn30slax wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:29 pm I know this is my first post but been following the what was rude I didn’t know you guys were talking to me cycle. Under reported in this whole process is how much of a disaster this cycle has been for Stony Brook. We have heard for years that the staff there is trying to keep the best talent on Long Island and how they couldn’t fathom why the best didn’t consider a perennial top 10 team. JS has coached the top talent on the Island for years as their club coach and couldn’t keep any of them home INCLUDING his own daughter. I just don’t want to hear the pearl clutching by SBU supporters
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:51 pm
I know this is my first post but I thought I would give a detailed description of SB come on now 🤦🏻 If you have been on here then you also know many people hoped he would wear his “father hat “ not his coach hat. 2 Questions for you Btown30slax would you want your daughter playing CAA or high ACC don’t answer that. Second question do you need a hug you are very hostile I will tell you I am from the island and he does it a different way and it’s mostly with 3 or 4 star kids and it works also an important part of your argument loses steam with the daughter going where 3 brothers are.Unless your daughter plays at SB not sure why you care but ….
Wild weekend of visits I think there will be many more committed players by Tuesday. Great pick up by USF today Let’s keep things positive on here it’s a great space
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

Lax832s wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:39 pm
Hey Lax832s, you are already displaying important skills that will help you advance in lax and life--continuous self-evaluation and persistence. Once this chaotic first wave of recruiting crashes, coaches will be refocusing on the fall/winter circuit to find the players to round out the class. You could gain a little more traction with/attention from your target schools and also the luxury of a little more time to consider your options.

Generally, I think it is better to attend camps at your target schools rather than bigger showcases, but I will leave it to the folks here who are more current to recommend specific events, etc.

Stay patient, persistent and open-minded. Keep hustling in the classroom/community and prioritize your college choices according to how well they will help you meet your life goals. You have a ton of time to find the right fit.

Please keep us posted!

1. Pick up the phone and call the college coaches you are interested in playing for. Don't leave a VM if they don't pick up, just keep calling at different times of the day until you actually reach them and have a conversation. This tells the coach you are serious about being a student athlete at their school. Anyone can email a coach, but it takes a lot of confidence and maturity to call them and have a conversation.

2. Have your high school coach reach out to the same coaches. Most college coaches are more interested in talking to HS coaches because the HS coach knows you much better than a club director and can have a more detailed oriented conversation with a college coach as to the type of person and player you are.

My two cents.

Thanks for the advice. Are you sure about contacting coaches directly on the phone though? I was always told that calling or texting without permission was overstepping.
Would suggest your club coach and HS coach providing direction it’s also smart to look at players committed to schools of interest that play same position
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

realitychecks wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:48 pm
Lax832s wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:39 pm

Please keep us posted!

My two cents.

Would suggest your club coach and HS coach providing direction it’s also smart to look at players committed to schools of interest that play same position

Lotsa bad club coaches out there at recruiting. Found that out the hard way this year.
btwn30lax

Post by btwn30lax »

realitychecks wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:45 pm
I know this is my first post but I thought I would give a detailed description of SB come on now 🤦🏻 If you have been on here then you also know many people hoped he would wear his “father hat “ not his coach hat. 2 Questions for you Btown30slax would you want your daughter playing CAA or high ACC don’t answer that. Second question do you need a hug you are very hostile I will tell you I am from the island and he does it a different way and it’s mostly with 3 or 4 star kids and it works also an important part of your argument loses steam with the daughter going where 3 brothers are.Unless your daughter plays at SB not sure why you care but ….
Wild weekend of visits I think there will be many more committed players by Tuesday. Great pick up by USF today Let’s keep things positive on here it’s a great space
Take AS out of it since like you said, brothers were already at the school that she picked. Not one of the other players are looking at SBU? It is very surprising to say the least.
Bdgr

Post by Bdgr »

realitychecks wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:45 pm
Not sure who usf got today, for some reason there aren’t any updates on IL women instagram account or on their webpage. Anyone else having issue or know a better place to see the commits as they role in?
njbill

Post by njbill »

spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Bdgr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:27 am Not sure who usf got today, for some reason there aren’t any updates on IL women instagram account or on their webpage. Anyone else having issue or know a better place to see the commits as they role in?
Best I've seen is WLax Recruiting Numbers on FB. Guy does his homework for sure. Seems to be updated at least once a day.

USF commit Lily Peek from Skywalkers.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”