Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
enterprise

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by enterprise »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:52 pm Looks like there is no radio or TV for the Notre Dame game. Truly unconscionable at this level.
The Cornell Athletics website shows the game being carried by ESPN+.
semsox

Post by semsox »

enterprise wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:15 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:52 pm Looks like there is no radio or TV for the Notre Dame game. Truly unconscionable at this level.
And not only do they show that, but clicking on the link does go to an official ESPN+ stream with the correct date, time, etc., so have to imagine that it will be carried.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

semsox wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:00 pm
And not only do they show that, but clicking on the link does go to an official ESPN+ stream with the correct date, time, etc., so have to imagine that it will be carried.
I based my comment on the website for the game. I hope I'm wrong! No indication of coverage. Hopefully CornellBigRed is correct!! https://collegelacrosselive.com/cornell-vs-notre-dame/
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Nothing in is easy this season.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Just too many turnovers. And Brown is getting every loose ball.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Most teams this year have been beating Theriault high, stepdowns 8-12 yds. Early in the year Bears were giving up lots of easy dunks, but they've really tightened that up. Cornell started game trying to go inside, mostly shooting low.
mfp

Post by mfp »

Thank goodness for Knust! Saving at .762 in the first half.

On the other end, the People’s Goalie has been nearly as good at .727.

Great goal near the end of the first half for Cornell and nearly another at the buzzer.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Wyatt Knust will be Ivy Defensive Player of the Week.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Great second half. Big win after a bit of a letdown early following the emotional win on Tuesday.
mfp

Post by mfp »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:58 pm Great second half. Big win after a bit of a letdown early following the emotional win on Tuesday.
And two double OT games in the last week.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Cornell is a very scary team if they get Goalie play like Knust, these past 2 games.

This game and the 2nd half of the Syracuse game was the best I have seen by a Cornell goalie since the first game Christian Knight played as a freshmen against Virginia.

Also, it seems that every game takes a little while for Cornell to get on that roll, but when they do, Kirst, Long, Goldstein, Kelleher, Firth, Nikolic, Wirthem etc. are almost impossible to slow down.

Also, Staub is playing out of his mind.

Onto the #1 team in the country.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Despite a 15 hour portal to portal nightmare plane trip from FL to CT on Thursday, finally made my way to Schoellkopf today. After x minutes though, I was wondering if, surprisingly, I was watching deja vu of the first half vs. Syracuse.
Cornell Offense Early On
-Far too much forcing interior or cross-field feeds resulting far too many turnovers and a huge 1st hal fdisparity of time on the field for the defense, shots, and shots on goal. I'm told Knust had 16 saves at halftime.
-Continuing to shoot low on a goalie who seemed to drop low didn't help any.
-This far into the season and against a team like Brown, not acceptable play --- and it showed by the number of four letter words coming out of the Cornell huddle during multiple time outs.
2nd Half offense
-Credit to Coach B for trying lots of stuff to disrupt Brown's D and force slides --- frequently forcing 5 om 5 matchups by keeping LSMs or FOGOs in the offensive zone but on the sideline, lots of big little stuff, quit forcing interior passes, and pushed transition + the game just opened up over time.
-Another good day for Kelleher, active day for Wortheim, and being in the right place at the right time for Goldstein.
Defense
-IMO the base D was really solid; some great back side support by Singer in the 2nd half.
-Excellent day clearing against a hard Brown ride by Blake and clearing passes by Knust.
-Brown successfully attacked the shorties, in the 1st half.
-Knust - definitely has quick hands. Looked very confident all day.
-Very interesting to see how Coach Stevens is rotating 3 LSMs - Rayhill, Boccofola, and Staub. If have no idea the rhyme/reason for how he's subbing them. No Walker Wallace on the sidelines, not even, in streeting clothes - ???
-Nice to see the shorties get a few runs from Jack Parker, as 2, 6, 13,and 77 all logged a ton of hard minutes. I'm told we will not see Chris Davis again this year. Tough break for all.
*Mark Psyllos - can't say enough about his effort, all over the field. It was obvious that he was "dinged" somehow (lower extremity) in the 4th and couldn't go anymore. What an effort. #28 found some rhythm and won a few consecutively in the 4th.
**The first half was so bad, the boys lost most full game stats, except the most important one. Can't do that next week...or...to quote Coach Moran, "Here comes trouble."
LGR
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Today's Notre Dame - Duke game is a unique opportunity for our coaching staff to scout their next opponent. It wouldn't surprise me if one or more of the coaches is/are in Durham to watch in person.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:32 pm Despite a 15 hour portal to portal nightmare plane trip from FL to CT on Thursday, finally made my way to Schoellkopf today. After x minutes though, I was wondering if, surprisingly, I was watching deja vu of the first half vs. Syracuse.
Cornell Offense Early On
-Far too much forcing interior or cross-field feeds resulting far too many turnovers and a huge 1st hal fdisparity of time on the field for the defense, shots, and shots on goal. I'm told Knust had 16 saves at halftime.
-Continuing to shoot low on a goalie who seemed to drop low didn't help any.
-This far into the season and against a team like Brown, not acceptable play --- and it showed by the number of four letter words coming out of the Cornell huddle during multiple time outs.
2nd Half offense
-Credit to Coach B for trying lots of stuff to disrupt Brown's D and force slides --- frequently forcing 5 om 5 matchups by keeping LSMs or FOGOs in the offensive zone but on the sideline, lots of big little stuff, quit forcing interior passes, and pushed transition + the game just opened up over time.
-Another good day for Kelleher, active day for Wortheim, and being in the right place at the right time for Goldstein.
Defense
-IMO the base D was really solid; some great back side support by Singer in the 2nd half.
-Excellent day clearing against a hard Brown ride by Blake and clearing passes by Knust.
-Brown successfully attacked the shorties, in the 1st half.
-Knust - definitely has quick hands. Looked very confident all day.
-Very interesting to see how Coach Stevens is rotating 3 LSMs - Rayhill, Boccofola, and Staub. If have no idea the rhyme/reason for how he's subbing them. No Walker Wallace on the sidelines, not even, in streeting clothes - ???
-Nice to see the shorties get a few runs from Jack Parker, as 2, 6, 13,and 77 all logged a ton of hard minutes. I'm told we will not see Chris Davis again this year. Tough break for all.
*Mark Psyllos - can't say enough about his effort, all over the field. It was obvious that he was "dinged" somehow (lower extremity) in the 4th and couldn't go anymore. What an effort. #28 found some rhythm and won a few consecutively in the 4th.
**The first half was so bad, the boys lost most full game stats, except the most important one. Can't do that next week...or...to quote Coach Moran, "Here comes trouble."
LGR
Sorry to hear of your travel misadventure. All too common these days.

As for your first-hand observations, despite Knust’s 1st half heroics, I thought we’d never find a way to consistently beat “the People’s Goalie” and that today we’d be lamenting what might have been. Fortunately we found the right formula in the 2nd half and made a great run to pull away.

Tough news about Davis, which puts added stress on a key position. We’re fortunate that Gilmartin has stepped in and has been so effective. Hopefully we get to see Bozzi back before the year’s over. Keeping in mind Brown’s offense is not particularly lethal, I thought the defensive structure was good. And while Knust was terrific, a good number of the shots he stopped were from a pretty good distance due to solid defensive play.

In the 2nd half we finally wore Brown down and finished our good looks. Great balance between the midfield and attack, and Wirtheim in particularly is really coming on strong.

Next week we can’t afford another slow start, as there will be no margin for error.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:22 pm
semsox wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:00 pm
I based my comment on the website for the game. I hope I'm wrong! No indication of coverage. Hopefully CornellBigRed is correct!! https://collegelacrosselive.com/cornell-vs-notre-dame/
It's on the ESPN+ App as an upcoming game 4/14 @ 12:30!!
nms

Post by nms »

Can't wait to see media poll this week.

Last week, #7 Cornell lost on the road in double overtime to #15 Penn and fell to #13, while Penn rose to #12
This week, #4 Syracuse lost on the road in double overtime to #13 Cornell.

I bet the ACC team's fall in the rankings will be minimal, as will Cornell's rise (in line with Penn's last week, despite the two wins).
bwparker1

Post by bwparker1 »

nms wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:37 am Can't wait to see media poll this week.

Last week, #7 Cornell lost on the road in double overtime to #15 Penn and fell to #13, while Penn rose to #12
This week, #4 Syracuse lost on the road in double overtime to #13 Cornell.

I bet the ACC team's fall in the rankings will be minimal, as will Cornell's rise (in line with Penn's last week, despite the two wins).
Cornell in at # 8. Syracuse at # 7. Penn at # 14
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Not to get way ahead of things, but.....
I'm convinced that this season will be far and away the most competitive in recent memory (other than 2019) for at-large bids in to the NCAA tournament. There are definitely multiple "good" teams that are not going to make it. For example, Syracuse who was #4 prior to losing to Cornell will be really close unless they win the brutal ACC. Army, as high as #1 at some point and still relatively highly ranked better win the Patriot or I don't think they make it - they have a very low SOS. After this weekend, Michigan is out. And the Ivies could have as few as two in (the AQ and 1 at-large). My guess is that both Georgetown and Denver both get in.

So what does this mean for Cornell?
-Needless to say, I hope they beat ND this Sunday. But assuming they don't, unless they beat Harvard...OR win the Ivy League Tournament, I think they are out. No way will they get an at-large with 6 losses (3 current losses, ND, an ILT loss + the Harvard game). Harvard is legit this year under Byrne. And they may be a more difficult (personnel) match-up than any of Cornell's previous Ivy opponents. I think it's huge that the Cornell-Harvard game is at Schoellkopf.
-So here is a controversial thought: Anyone attending the Cornell-Brown game could see that by the 4th quarter, Psyllos was really beat up. Limped off the field and Petrakis took the remaining FOs. If he's not a medical scratch and is "all in" about playing vs. Notre Dame, would Coach B consider sitting him on Sunday, to maximize his recovery for the Harvard game? Something to think about.
LGR
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I saw a post on another site that said Cornell is currently #10 RPI. They said if Cornell loses to Notre Dame, the Big Red will still be at #10. If they win, they will be at #7 with 2 top 5 wins. A good resume. I think if Cornell ends up 5-1 in the Ivy League, that ought to be good enough for an at large bid, even if the tourney is in Philly.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”