Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
norcalhop

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by norcalhop »

BigTurn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:06 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:58 pm I read most of the 29 pages of this thread on syracusefan.com. The posters go from condescending comments about the Big Red as the score builds to 7-0 to calls for Gary Gait's firing and criticism of the players as Cornell catches up and wins and includes complaints about the refs and everything else. Entertaining. https://syracusefan.com/threads/cornell-gameday.182184/
This was a fantastic read earlier this morning. Giggled like a school girl throughout. Encapsulates exactly why 90% of lacrosse fans can’t stand the cuse fan base: a false sense of superiority based on dominance 2 decades ago with no recent success to speak of. Still have yet to realize the talent gap closed (and passed) long ago and they can’t just go out there and do whatever the F they want and still win big games.
Interesting. Now i know why so many Hopkins fans want to beat them annually. Funny to be condescending to Cornell given other criteria.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:47 pm
BigTurn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:06 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:58 pm I read most of the 29 pages of this thread on syracusefan.com. The posters go from condescending comments about the Big Red as the score builds to 7-0 to calls for Gary Gait's firing and criticism of the players as Cornell catches up and wins and includes complaints about the refs and everything else. Entertaining. https://syracusefan.com/threads/cornell-gameday.182184/
This was a fantastic read earlier this morning. Giggled like a school girl throughout. Encapsulates exactly why 90% of lacrosse fans can’t stand the cuse fan base: a false sense of superiority based on dominance 2 decades ago with no recent success to speak of. Still have yet to realize the talent gap closed (and passed) long ago and they can’t just go out there and do whatever the F they want and still win big games.
This quote from “Lukeyloo”:

What a collapse. Maybe if they had their OC still on the sidelines they would’ve won.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/cornell ... 84/page-22

I understand the point, but …

… if your head coach is arguably the greatest offensive lacrosse player since Jim Brown, is the lack of an OC on the sidelines a legitimate excuse?!?

DocBarrister
Particularly in a game where they put up 17 goals. There was no lack of offensive production. Maybe try not giving the other team 8 man ups and see if that helps :roll:
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:52 pm Dooley, again, making big plays - ground balls, smart outlets, etc.
Yeah! He's no Gavin Adler, but who is (besides Gavin himself)? For a first-year, he's a welcome defensive addition.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I definitely remember than in 2022, the big comeback win over Syracuse seemed to light the fuse that took the Big Red all the way to the National Championship game. Maybe something similar will happen? What an incredibly fun lacrosse game to watch.

With all that's been said about the game, the sequence that hit me maybe the most was when Cornell was down by 1 and had what seemed to be a sure tying 16th goal by Kirst ROBBED by the amazing Will Mark kick save. I thought "okay Mark just won the game for Syracuse, what a play." Ball rebounds to midfield, Cornell gets it again, another Mark save. 54 seconds left, gotta be over, right? On the clear, the Big Red absolutely SELL OUT in the ride -- Dooley, Staub, Firth and Wirtheim swarming the ballcarrier in the middlefield and winning back the ball on at least 3 Syracuse opportunities to possess the ground ball. Wirtheim makes a nifty play to get it upfield and Cornell ties it up (insanely, the first of 3 goals total in the final 20 seconds). The team just refused to lose. Loved it.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Cornell has got to close the deal. Been too long since they've won a championship.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:06 pm I definitely remember than in 2022, the big comeback win over Syracuse seemed to light the fuse that took the Big Red all the way to the National Championship game. Maybe something similar will happen? What an incredibly fun lacrosse game to watch.

With all that's been said about the game, the sequence that hit me maybe the most was when Cornell was down by 1 and had what seemed to be a sure tying 16th goal by Kirst ROBBED by the amazing Will Mark kick save. I thought "okay Mark just won the game for Syracuse, what a play." Ball rebounds to midfield, Cornell gets it again, another Mark save. 54 seconds left, gotta be over, right? On the clear, the Big Red absolutely SELL OUT in the ride -- Dooley, Staub, Firth and Wirtheim swarming the ballcarrier in the middlefield and winning back the ball on at least 3 Syracuse opportunities to possess the ground ball. Wirtheim makes a nifty play to get it upfield and Cornell ties it up (insanely, the first of 3 goals total in the final 20 seconds). The team just refused to lose. Loved it.
Definitely one of the most important plays in a game that had so many turning points. I also thought the game was over 2-3 times when Mark made those late saves in the last minute. Cornell's ride was just relentless and it paid off. A trademark of the Buczek coached teams is that they never give up. I was resigned to a loss about 10 times during the 150 minutes it took to play that game, but Cornell never quit and the tenacity of that ride at that moment was tremendous.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:06 pm I definitely remember than in 2022, the big comeback win over Syracuse seemed to light the fuse that took the Big Red all the way to the National Championship game. Maybe something similar will happen? What an incredibly fun lacrosse game to watch.

I'm not sure about that. Cornell proceeded to lose 3 out of the next 4 after the Syracuse win.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

norcalhop wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:53 am

I'm not sure about that. Cornell proceeded to lose 3 out of the next 4 after the Syracuse win.
Thanks NCH, this is great news knowing the Big Red, can now lose 3 of their next 4, and be in the National Champipnship against Maryland. I will make my Memorial day plans accordingly.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

That sequence reminded me of the ride in the 2007 semi final against Duke in Baltimore in that incredible heat which resulted in the tying goal, similar to Tuesday. Also left a few seconds on the clock which as we all remember Duke took advantage of to win the game. This time enough for two goals and OT…. Better ending this time….
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ezra White wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:07 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:52 pm Dooley, again, making big plays - ground balls, smart outlets, etc.
Yeah! He's no Gavin Adler, but who is (besides Gavin himself)? For a first-year, he's a welcome defensive addition.
Agreed, he's been very good overall (and especially at the end of Princeton game!) but he really needed to slide to the ball carrier (rather than follow his man behind the cage) at the end of regulation in the Cuse game ...
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:20 pm
Ezra White wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:07 pm
Agreed, he's been very good overall (and especially at the end of Princeton game!) but he really needed to slide to the ball carrier (rather than follow his man behind the cage) at the end of regulation in the Cuse game ...
I'll have to go back and rewatch that.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

OK, everytime I whine and complain about the weather, and how bad it is at schoellkopf, the Big Red seem to come through.

So with that in mind, the weather for tomorrow's game at noon is........you guessed it; AWFUL. Snow showers and high in the upper 30's. In other words, perfect weather for these foul weather warriors.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:01 am OK, everytime I whine and complain about the weather, and how bad it is at schoellkopf, the Big Red seem to come through.

So with that in mind, the weather for tomorrow's game at noon is........you guessed it; AWFUL. Snow showers and high in the upper 30's. In other words, perfect weather for these foul weather warriors.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Come on now! There's always one game in mid April with beautiful weather! And then if Cornell makes it to Memorial Day weekend, we get the 95-100 degree days as we did in 2007 and 2022!
semsox

Post by semsox »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:22 am
joewillie78 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:01 am OK, everytime I whine and complain about the weather, and how bad it is at schoellkopf, the Big Red seem to come through.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Come on now! There's always one game in mid April with beautiful weather! And then if Cornell makes it to Memorial Day weekend, we get the 95-100 degree days as we did in 2007 and 2022!
They don't fire up the weather machine until Cornell Days, when admitted students come and visit campus and see the beautiful Spring Ithaca weather. Looks like it's scheduled for April 13th and 14th this year, so expect a beautiful weekend when they're playing the neutral site game against ND :D .
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Speaking of the ND game (and not to look past Brown)...are there viewing or listening options available? Both team's websites only have "live stats" options.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 am Speaking of the ND game (and not to look past Brown)...are there viewing or listening options available? Both team's websites only have "live stats" options.
Many of the neutral site games are that way. Shame.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

semsox wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:46 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
They don't fire up the weather machine until Cornell Days, when admitted students come and visit campus and see the beautiful Spring Ithaca weather. Looks like it's scheduled for April 13th and 14th this year, so expect a beautiful weekend when they're playing the neutral site game against ND :D .
Remarkably, SLOPE DAY on the last day of classes has a great record for great weather. I remember my undergrad days, and every slope day was gorgeous and the past few lately have been beautiful as I have a friend at Cornell and he is always a "monitor" for Slope day, which basically means he looks the other way when he sees under 21 kids enjoying their favorite beverage.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:52 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Remarkably, SLOPE DAY on the last day of classes has a great record for great weather. I remember my undergrad days, and every slope day was gorgeous and the past few lately have been beautiful as I have a friend at Cornell and he is always a "monitor" for Slope day, which basically means he looks the other way when he sees under 21 kids enjoying their favorite beverage.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Don't know what they did in your day, JW. But in my day, the frats used to bring couches and burry kegs the night before. Slope day is always well earned, and the powers that be almost always deliver great fun and great weather!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:22 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:52 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Don't know what they did in your day, JW. But in my day, the frats used to bring couches and burry kegs the night before. Slope day is always well earned, and the powers that be almost always deliver great fun and great weather!
DM, pretty much the same. My Frat probably had 3-4 kegs, a tent, tables chairs etc. And of course a barbecue going all day. Great times.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Looks like there is no radio or TV for the Notre Dame game. Truly unconscionable at this level.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”