Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... How many Articles?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LandM wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:54 am CU88,
Look up page 506 - halfway down - you took a shot at Catholics per my post. I will be at the VA tomorrow wheeling vets and ensuring they have food to eat and you? I will be paying for food out of my pocket. Canandaigua, VA, come join me and I will see you in mass on Sunday.

It is great that Obama and Clinton somehow managed to get deferments. Trying to figure how they got that :D and not be criticized by the social media smart people.

DMac, social media has resulted IMHO into the dumbing of people. Hopefully the ship gets righted.
http://leftfielder.org/2008/05/27/how-o ... the-draft/

Obama's dad helped.... They are sneaky. Other guys should have thought of what Obama's parents thought of to get a deferment.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:31 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:36 am “This will be the first draft Donald Trump can’t dodge,” Jimmy Kimmel said, referring to Thursday’s announcement that the House of Representatives would begin drafting impeachment articles against the president.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Left crucifies Trump for bone spurs. And seems to be cool with Clinton pursuing his education during Vietnam and Biden's sudden case of 1Y "Asthma."

:lol:
This is BS. There was no "sudden" case of asthma.

"As a result of a physical exam on April 5, 1968, Joe Biden was classified 1-Y and disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenager," said David Wade, a campaign spokesman."

It's also BS to say all were cool wth Clinton, he's taken plenty of heat for his (successful) efforts to avoid the draft.

Neither of these two took the most chickenschidt way out like our Prez did. He deserves all the criticism he gets about that. Gen Bone Spurz is befitting for the Prez.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:17 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:35 am Yep. OS should do a little basic civics research - The Government (either Congress or any Federal agency) can issue an administrative subpoena
without seeking approval from a judge - both Republican and Democrats having been doing this for YEARS - I don't recall you objecting or expressing concern before this when this power was utilized especially by GOP? I guess Congress can now be added to the "Deep State", too?

"An administrative subpoena is a compulsory request for documents — such as phone, Internet and other records — or testimony issued by an executive branch agency or Congress. Unlike traditional grand jury subpoenas, they do not require prior approval from a court or other judicial entity.

The recipient can file a motion in federal court to throw out the subpoena, but legal experts said the standard for review is highly deferential to the government. Basically, the agency only has to show that the information sought is necessary for the performance of the agency’s official duties.

The standard is so lax that one Supreme Court case said administrative subpoenas can be issued based merely on “official curiosity,” said Christopher Slobogin, a Vanderbilt University law professor who has studied administrative subpoenas."

Next thing you know, he will be accusing CNN's parent company AT&T of working to undermine the stable genius as part of the media conspiracy with the aforementioned "Deep State".
Administrative ? Been doing this for years ? Give us an example of Congress obtaining (then publishing) ph records of a private citizen. reporter, or fellow Congress member.

What would the reaction have been had Chairman Nunes issued a subponea for the phone records of the WP's David Ignatius after he published the leaked TS NSA intercept of Flynn's phone calls. What would the MSM reaction have been to that ? But no problem now when Schiff gets Solomon's ph records or goes after political enemies like Rudy or fellow Congress members like Nunes ?
Try this out for what Nunes apparently used to think about domestic surveillance provided by former GOPer Justin Amash who was slapped down for his libertarian views at the time -

https://reason.com/2019/12/05/devin-nun ... veillance/

"The call records are coming home to roost for Rep. Devin Nunes (R–Calif.).

Before he became a stalwart defender of President Donald Trump, Nunes consistently fought any and all efforts to restrain the authority of the National Security Agency (NSA) to secretly, warrantlessly collect Americans' call records and metadata. He wasn't quiet about this support for domestic surveillance. When Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan (then a Republican, now an independent) tried to restrain the feds' ability to access American call records, Nunes didn't just vote against Amash's legislation; he attacked Amash loudly and publicly. In 2014, one of Amash's efforts prompted Nunes to call the congressman "Al Qaeda's best friend in the Congress." Nunes even donated $5,000 to Amash's primary opponent.""
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:51 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:36 am “This will be the first draft Donald Trump can’t dodge,” Jimmy Kimmel said, referring to Thursday’s announcement that the House of Representatives would begin drafting impeachment articles against the president.

Left crucifies Trump for bone spurs. And seems to be cool with Clinton pursuing his education during Vietnam and Biden's sudden case of 1Y "Asthma."

There is a big difference. Clinton and Biden didn't come from money. There was more than a little of the monied classes dodging the draft. At the time things like educational deferments were real things. There were real medical related rejections and deferments. Don't know anything about Biden's case.
Money or not. Clinton enrolled in, but did not join the ROTC to avoid the draft.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:50 am

There is a big difference. Clinton and Biden didn't come from money. There was more than a little of the monied classes dodging the draft. At the time things like educational deferments were real things. There were real medical related rejections and deferments. Don't know anything about Biden's case.
Money or not. Clinton enrolled in, but did not join the ROTC to avoid the draft.
I would have thought Clinton needed no ROTC to avoid the draft, he was a student with a student deferment was he not?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:58 am

I would have thought Clinton needed no ROTC to avoid the draft, he was a student with a student deferment was he not?
Here is the very long ordeal: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/clinton-draft-pardon/
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Look up page 506 - halfway down - you took a shot at Catholics per my post. I will be at the VA tomorrow wheeling vets and ensuring they have food to eat and you? I will be paying for food out of my pocket. Canandaigua, VA, come join me and I will see you in mass on Sunday.

It is great that Obama and Clinton somehow managed to get deferments. Trying to figure how they got that :D and not be criticized by the social media smart people.

DMac, social media has resulted IMHO into the dumbing of people. Hopefully the ship gets righted.
Serious question - which group(s) criticize you for being Catholic? Other Christians? Jews? Muslims?
Typical Lax Dad

foreverlax wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:06 am

Serious question - which group(s) criticize you for being Catholic? Other Christians? Jews? Muslims?
The only “criticism” I can think of is the criticism of the catholic church covering up the pedophiles. I can’t think of how someone would criticize the “average” catholic worshipper.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Clinton was essentially a conscientious objector who did everything he could, short of buying a phony bone spurs note from a doctor, to get out of serving while trying not to damage his political career in the process.
Any way you look at it there is no comparison to what Clinton and Biden did (Biden had asthma, you want to be in a foxhole under fire with a partner who is having an asthma attack? Hint, that's why he was rejected.) and what Trump did. One is the most gutless way out, the other two are legit (education deferment was the route (understandably) many took) but to say everyone was cool with Slick's route is just not so.

https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/ca ... raft.shtml
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:18 am Clinton was essentially a conscientious objector who did everything he could, short of buying a phony bone spurs note from a doctor, to get out of serving while trying not to damage his political career in the process.
Any way you look at it there is no comparison to what Clinton and Biden did (Biden had asthma, you want to be in a foxhole under fire with a partner who is having an asthma attack? Hint, that's why he was rejected.) and what Trump did. One is the most gutless way out, the other two are legit (education deferment was the route (understandably) many took) but to say everyone was cool with Slick's route is just not so.

Nope. Absolutely not. Trump bragged that he was at risk for picking up VD because he was getting laid so much while others were serving. He is filth.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:02 am

Here is the very long ordeal: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/clinton-draft-pardon/

Thanks. So the situation is clear as mud, about as clear as what happened with Bush. No question he was trying to avoid the draft (a lot of that was going around) while the system was in the process of changing.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks. So the situation is clear as mud, about as clear as what happened with Bush. No question he was trying to avoid the draft (a lot of that was going around) while the system was in the process of changing.
Yes.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 am

This is BS. There was no "sudden" case of asthma.

"As a result of a physical exam on April 5, 1968, Joe Biden was classified 1-Y and disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenager," said David Wade, a campaign spokesman."

It's also BS to say all were cool wth Clinton, he's taken plenty of heat for his (successful) efforts to avoid the draft.

Neither of these two took the most chickenschidt way out like our Prez did. He deserves all the criticism he gets about that. Gen Bone Spurz is befitting for the Prez.
Nailed it.

Clinton was criticized plenty: https://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/st ... index.html

"Memorial Day, perhaps more than any other day year-in and year-out since Clinton took office in early 1993, has been fraught with extra meaning for veterans' groups, and extra anxiety for the president, who never served in the military, and is often reminded of that fact by his many detractors.

And, the circumstances surrounding Clinton's draft deferment at the height of the Vietnam war only accelerate the rush of negative emotions felt by many veterans when the president's name is brought up. The president's record as commander-in-chief, as assessed by many in the veterans' community, has demonstrated a marked disregard for military comportment and tradition, and some have gone so far as to describe his outlook as contemptuous....

Bill Clinton's avoidance of military service in the late 1960s has become the stuff of legend in some circles. To many, he's the man who skirted the draft when many of his peers fought and died in the jungles of Vietnam. He is the man who participated in a series of anti-war demonstrations, and he is the man who denounced his own country on foreign soil.

In a grand sense, Clinton has drawn the same sort of focus and ire that actress Jane Fonda attracted when she made her infamous trip to Hanoi. But while you won't here the phrase the "Hanoi Jane" too much anymore, you'll still hear plenty of people denounce Clinton for his wartime activities.

And in truth, Clinton hasn't done a lot to help himself in that regard.

Early on in the 1992 presidential campaign, Clinton said it was a "fluke" that he was never called into military service in the late 1960s, and went so far as to say that he "never received any unusual or favorable treatment" intended to keep him out of uniform and out of harm's way.

There was some amount of truth to the first statement, but not a lot of truth to the second. When Clinton entered the draft in 1969, he was issued a high number by the Selective Service Board (311), significantly reducing the chances that he would ever be called to active duty."

How about we go back to impeachment on this thread now?
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am

Actually the waters are crystal clear as to what Wuba's military service was.
When Bush graduated in 1968, he faced the prospect of being sent to Vietnam, but avoided combat by joining the National Guard. At the time, the Guard had 100,000 applicants on its waiting list.19.5 But Bush was sworn in as a member of the 147th unit of the Texas Air National Guard the same day he applied. Ben Barnes, who was then the Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, recently said under oath that he secured a spot in the guard for the young Bush at the urging of Sid Adger, a Houston businessman and close friend of Bush’s father, then a U.S. Representative from Houston. Bush wasn’t the only son of a prominent Texan in his unit. Others included the sons of Senators Lloyd Bentsen (a Democrat) and John Tower (a Republican), and at least seven members of the Dallas Cowboys football team.
https://publicintegrity.org/federal-pol ... h-profile/

Unlike today the National Guard, and particularly the Air National Guard, was another route many took in order to stay out of harms way. These were pretty much safe spaces and units that weren't going anywhere and if they had, the Air National Guard boys would have been on the bottom of the list to go. Enlisting was enough to get you a nice leather flight jacket, but there was virtually no risk involved in being in these outfits. This is the route Wuba's dad laid out for him....the safe rich boys outfit.

JFTR, I like Wubya these days, think he's a pretty cool guy with a good heart.

Sorry, sc, didn't see your request til after I posted.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Back when I started graduate school in 1979, I worked with two other grad students and a pair of young faculty members who all were subject to the draft. (I was not because they killed the SSS a few months before my 18th birthday).

Each one was able to avoid service in Nam, but each in a very particular way. All involved public governmental service (in one case not in the military).

Grad student #1 had changed his registration to the city of the university from his hometown, but when told on a Friday his draft number would be coming up on Monday and he would be destined into the Army, he skipped classes and drove home, changed his registration back to his hometown, and then enlisted in the Air Force. Spent much of his time in Turkey (still definitely cold war service). Grad student #2 enlisted in the Navy and ended up on an oiler - he did get as close as the South China Sea).

Professor #1 joined the Forest Service and became a smoke jumper. Fit his somewhat crazy personality...

Professor #2 was ineligible while an undergrad, but after getting his physics degree he continued on to grad school, where his deferment ran out. Was one of a relatively few drafted into the Marines. Since he was shorter term than the vast majority volunteer soldiers in the Marines, he was not eligible for certain positions, and ended up as an infantry radioman (generally a top/first target for the enemy). Got his orders to ship to Nam a year in, and was going through a chain of signature approvals where an officer noticed he had a full undergraduate degree and pulled him out of going.

He ended up teaching high school to soldiers who had gotten in trouble but not enough to wash out/go to prison. They were found to be generally lacking in education, so he was effectively teaching math to get them out of trouble and back into good graces...

A couple of years after I started grad school, Reagan reinstated the SSS/potential draft, but I was in the small range of ages that was not required to register. Nam was over and military was all volunteer. But because I was getting paid from an NSF grant as a graduate research assistant, I had to go to the graduate office 4 times a year (each quarter beginning) and certify that I was _not_ required to be registered by the SSS. Quite a pain since I was rarely on campus due to the fact we all worked at a nearby National Lab (ORNL). I also got letters twice a year from the Navy trying to get me to join the nuclear sub program...
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

More than 500 law professors say Trump committed ‘impeachable conduct’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
More than 500 legal scholars have signed on to an open letter asserting that President Trump committed “impeachable conduct” and that lawmakers would be acting well within their rights if they ultimately voted to remove him from office.

The signers are law professors and other academics from universities across the country, including Harvard, Yale, Columbia, the University of California at Berkeley, the University of Michigan and many others. The open letter was published online Friday by the nonprofit advocacy group Protect Democracy.

“There is overwhelming evidence that President Trump betrayed his oath of office by seeking to use presidential power to pressure a foreign government to help him distort an American election, for his personal and political benefit, at the direct expense of national security interests as determined by Congress,” the group of professors wrote. “His conduct is precisely the type of threat to our democracy that the Founders feared when they included the remedy of impeachment in the Constitution.”
Link to actual letter: https://medium.com/@legalscholarsonimpe ... 18b5b6d116
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:18 am Clinton was essentially a conscientious objector who did everything he could, short of buying a phony bone spurs note from a doctor, to get out of serving while trying not to damage his political career in the process.

You mean he had "asthma."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ding-draft

Biden also received a 1-Y classification in 1968, meaning that he was unqualified for duty except in a national emergency. He was " disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenager," according to Barack Obama's 2008 campaign.

Despite his childhood asthma, Biden recounted an active youth in his 2007 book Promises to Keep. He worked as a lifeguard, mentioned playing basketball, and was on his high school football team. "I'd never in my life had any real physical troubles beyond childhood asthma or a separated shoulder," Biden wrote.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:10 am
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:17 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:35 am Yep. OS should do a little basic civics research - The Government (either Congress or any Federal agency) can issue an administrative subpoena
without seeking approval from a judge - both Republican and Democrats having been doing this for YEARS - I don't recall you objecting or expressing concern before this when this power was utilized especially by GOP? I guess Congress can now be added to the "Deep State", too?

"An administrative subpoena is a compulsory request for documents — such as phone, Internet and other records — or testimony issued by an executive branch agency or Congress. Unlike traditional grand jury subpoenas, they do not require prior approval from a court or other judicial entity.

The recipient can file a motion in federal court to throw out the subpoena, but legal experts said the standard for review is highly deferential to the government. Basically, the agency only has to show that the information sought is necessary for the performance of the agency’s official duties.

The standard is so lax that one Supreme Court case said administrative subpoenas can be issued based merely on “official curiosity,” said Christopher Slobogin, a Vanderbilt University law professor who has studied administrative subpoenas."

Next thing you know, he will be accusing CNN's parent company AT&T of working to undermine the stable genius as part of the media conspiracy with the aforementioned "Deep State".
Administrative ? Been doing this for years ? Give us an example of Congress obtaining (then publishing) ph records of a private citizen. reporter, or fellow Congress member.

What would the reaction have been had Chairman Nunes issued a subponea for the phone records of the WP's David Ignatius after he published the leaked TS NSA intercept of Flynn's phone calls. What would the MSM reaction have been to that ? But no problem now when Schiff gets Solomon's ph records or goes after political enemies like Rudy or fellow Congress members like Nunes ?
Try this out for what Nunes apparently used to think about domestic surveillance provided by former GOPer Justin Amash who was slapped down for his libertarian views at the time -

https://reason.com/2019/12/05/devin-nun ... veillance/

"The call records are coming home to roost for Rep. Devin Nunes (R–Calif.).

Before he became a stalwart defender of President Donald Trump, Nunes consistently fought any and all efforts to restrain the authority of the National Security Agency (NSA) to secretly, warrantlessly collect Americans' call records and metadata. He wasn't quiet about this support for domestic surveillance. When Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan (then a Republican, now an independent) tried to restrain the feds' ability to access American call records, Nunes didn't just vote against Amash's legislation; he attacked Amash loudly and publicly. In 2014, one of Amash's efforts prompted Nunes to call the congressman "Al Qaeda's best friend in the Congress." Nunes even donated $5,000 to Amash's primary opponent.""
That's the point. Nunes fought to protect NSA's capabilities for legit national security purposes, not to monitor private citizens & opposing politicians, then publish the details, in a report, for partisan political advantage.

You dodge my question. Give me an example of this power ever being exploited, against US citizens & elected officials, for political advantage.
As an ACLU supporter, how can you condone such an abuse.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I'm not aware of ever having said here that I am an ACLU supporter. Are you listening in to my phone calls? :lol: :lol: :lol:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Clinton lied (in a letter) to a ROTC unit commander to get another deferment, after he'd used up his undergrad deferments, then reneged on serving.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Regarding Air National Guard, some entire ANG units deployed to Vietnam.
ANG pilots went through the same flight training pipeline as active duty USAF pilots.
I was pall bearer for a HS teammate who spun in a T-37 during USAF undergrad flight training.
Bush survived USAF flight training & several hundred ANG missions in the F-102, a very unforgiving, single engine, all weather, supersonic fighter.
US combat ops in Viernam ended in 1973, with the Paris Peace Treaty.
Last edited by old salt on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”