Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
calourie

Re: Yale 2020

Post by calourie »

isaacwright22 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:17 pm My version of some highlights I shot. Yale looked good, romped on most of Stony Brook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyYrOvNx68
Nice work with the video isaacwright. General thrust shows the wide range of Bulldogs who had a chance to contribute, all seeming to do so with maximum effort, a by now accustomed trademark of Shay coached teams. Offense looked particularly well oiled for this time of year with a nice mix of known, lesser known and practically unknown participants.
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/10/2 ... arby-conry

Yale versus Michigan in the West Coast Shootout in Costa Mesa, March 7. I've been a fan of Yale and Shay's willingness to travel and spread exposure of the game at the collegiate level. Likely useful for recruiting as well. Always a well run and well attended event. There is a good chance I will be there being west coast based.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Calourie, I really hope you can make it to the game. Also looking forward to the Bulldogs' schedule coming out, drips and drabs until February...
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yale's 2020 schedule posted: https://yalebulldogs.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=108

I'm assuming that Feb 1 @ Cuse and Feb 8 v Fairfield will be scrimmages, not official games.
Merrimack goes from scrimmage to official game. Otherwise, very similar to 2019 (Nova, UMass, Albany; Penn State, this time in State College, PA).
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

The Yale Bulldogs are the 19th DI program to release their 2020 schedule. The Bulldogs look to climb back to the top of college lacrosse after losing in the national championship last season.
https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/10/27/2 ... -bulldogs/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:41 am Yale's 2020 schedule posted: https://yalebulldogs.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=108

I'm assuming that Feb 1 @ Cuse and Feb 8 v Fairfield will be scrimmages, not official games.
Merrimack goes from scrimmage to official game. Otherwise, very similar to 2019 (Nova, UMass, Albany; Penn State, this time in State College, PA).
fairly weak ooc schedule. 2019 rpi's of 17, 1, 21, 37, merr, 49, 51. they can probably count on at least 2 reg season top 20s in the ivy so likely at least 3 overall. amongst the rest of their schedule they will probably get somewhere between 2 and if they're lucky as many as 4. going into the season, ~5 or ~6 top 20s is not a lot.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

True, not the sort of schedule that gets a team into the NCAA tourney with an 8-6 record without winning its conference tournament. For better or worse, Yale's OOC schedule tends to include a number of nearby New England schools.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:18 am True, not the sort of schedule that gets a team into the NCAA tourney with an 8-6 record without winning its conference tournament. For better or worse, Yale's OOC schedule tends to include a number of nearby New England schools.
Just looked at the schedule. Fairfield U is a scrimmage and Bryant is off the schedule. Dropping Fairfield is a Win-Win for Stimmel and Shay. I liked that game but can still catch the scrimmage.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

Similar schedule to the past 2 years, seasons which the Bulldogs have handled well. OCC Penn State should remain a SOS solidifier. UMass has proven itself to be a worthy opponent over the long run, and Nova over the short one. I fully expect Albany to have a better season this than they had last. Michigan looks to have the potential and incoming talent to get better. Merrimack and Quinnipiac look like relative breathers. The Ivies should present the usual battle royal. Penn and Cornell look to be loaded. Sowers along with some talented pieces make Princeton a threat. Harvard with new coach Byrne is a wild card. Brown is never a pushover, and Dartmouth looks ready to improve.
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 pm Similar schedule to the past 2 years, seasons which the Bulldogs have handled well. OCC Penn State should remain a SOS solidifier. UMass has proven itself to be a worthy opponent over the long run, and Nova over the short one. I fully expect Albany to have a better season this than they had last. Michigan looks to have the potential and incoming talent to get better. Merrimack and Quinnipiac look like relative breathers. The Ivies should present the usual battle royal. Penn and Cornell look to be loaded. Sowers along with some talented pieces make Princeton a threat. Harvard with new coach Byrne is a wild card. Brown is never a pushover, and Dartmouth looks ready to improve.
Yes. I found out FU wasn’t on schedule last season.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

calourie wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 pm Similar schedule to the past 2 years, seasons which the Bulldogs have handled well. OCC Penn State should remain a SOS solidifier. UMass has proven itself to be a worthy opponent over the long run, and Nova over the short one. I fully expect Albany to have a better season this than they had last. Michigan looks to have the potential and incoming talent to get better. Merrimack and Quinnipiac look like relative breathers. The Ivies should present the usual battle royal. Penn and Cornell look to be loaded. Sowers along with some talented pieces make Princeton a threat. Harvard with new coach Byrne is a wild card. Brown is never a pushover, and Dartmouth looks ready to improve.
Merrimack a breather. :shock: We'll see.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Good schedule. Continue to miss the Maryland game. Glad the Elis will be visiting PSU which should be quite a game. Ivy League will be a battle again. Hope to see a good year from Albany and for Merrimack to climb the D1 ladder quickly (I'm mixed on these small colleges moving up to D1, but congrats to them).
PS.Too bad Syracuse is a scrimmage and not a game later in the year.
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

What struck me most about schedule: no home game until second conference game of season against Princeton, late March.

As for Merrimack, I just don't know. I've never seen a D2 game; the closest I've come was the 2018 scrimmage at Reese. Merrimack went on a late 2nd quarter run to go into half-time down 7-5. Yale were more dominant in the second half, but then that was an excellent Bulldog team. If I hadn't known Merrimack was D2, I probably wouldn't have guessed it.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Mid-Lax wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:48 pm Good schedule. Continue to miss the Maryland game. Glad the Elis will be visiting PSU which should be quite a game. Ivy League will be a battle again. Hope to see a good year from Albany and for Merrimack to climb the D1 ladder quickly (I'm mixed on these small colleges moving up to D1, but congrats to them).
Maryland did not want to continue the series -- too bad, I think it was a good game for both teams. But, to be fair, Maryland certainly has a loaded out of conference schedule and did not need to keep Yale. And, for Yale, substituting in a great Penn State team as the Big 10 opponent has worked out.

The one thing that makes me gnash my teeth (which is out of any one team's control) is the late start for the Ivies. It puts them at a huge disadvantage in those early season out-of-conference games and I think it's a big reason why the Ivies so often end up with 2 bids when they seem on the bubble for 3. I don't know enough to know if there's any meaningful chance of a change one of these years to allow the Ivies to adjust to the modern lacrosse schedule.
calourie

Post by calourie »

"The one thing that makes me gnash my teeth (which is out of any one team's control) is the late start for the Ivies. It puts them at a huge disadvantage in those early season out-of-conference games and I think it's a big reason why the Ivies so often end up with 2 bids when they seem on the bubble for 3. I don't know enough to know if there's any meaningful chance of a change one of these years to allow the Ivies to adjust to the modern lacrosse schedule."
[/quote] from Orfling

Ivies make a point of making a "deemphasis" of sports gesture in many sports including football, basketball, hockey, and lacrosse insofar as I am sure of, and would add that I expect similar practice and game starts apply to other sports as well. As far as the gestures go, lacrosse gets off easier than the other named four in that the teams are allowed to play up to the 15 regular season games all the other D1 schools are allowed, whereas the other named sports are limited to a number of games considerably under the NCAA limits that most schools accept and engage in. Heck, the Ivy football teams aren't even allowed to participate in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

The insistence that athletics not be the primary reason that student-athletes attend a school seems to me a worthy guideline for institutions that want to promote scholastic/mental excellence and achievement, and I doubt that that is going to change any time soon. Yale is in the enviable position of having a coach in Andy Shay who has built up the program to the point where more and more academically oriented lacrosse stars want to play for him which helps overcome the late start to practice and the season gap that Orfling is annoyed by, even if it doesn't close that gap completely. Anyway I think this is the best we can hope for for the always unforeseeable foreseeable future.
renault

Post by renault »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:33 pm
Mid-Lax wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:48 pm Good schedule. Continue to miss the Maryland game. Glad the Elis will be visiting PSU which should be quite a game. Ivy League will be a battle again. Hope to see a good year from Albany and for Merrimack to climb the D1 ladder quickly (I'm mixed on these small colleges moving up to D1, but congrats to them).
...snip...

The one thing that makes me gnash my teeth (which is out of any one team's control) is the late start for the Ivies. It puts them at a huge disadvantage in those early season out-of-conference games and I think it's a big reason why the Ivies so often end up with 2 bids when they seem on the bubble for 3. I don't know enough to know if there's any meaningful chance of a change one of these years to allow the Ivies to adjust to the modern lacrosse schedule.
So what?

I'd rather them lose another game or two than pretend to be professional lacrosse players. The restrictions on participation is the absolute best thing about playing at an Ivy / NESCAC school.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Last night Yale's (men's) basketball team beat Stony Brook in OT. Lacrosse season overlaps with basketball season, so...
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/ind ... le_fields/

Yale To Build New Soccer & Lacrosse Field House adjacent to Reese Stadium on Central Avenue

"Yale won key city approvals to build a two-story field house for its soccer and lacrosse teams and a new natural grass field right across the street at the university’s Westville athletics complex.

Those site plan approvals came Wednesday night during the City Plan Commission’s regular monthly meeting on the second floor of City Hall.

Yale Lead Planner Jeromy Powers, along with university Community Affairs Associate Karen King and local attorney Joseph Hammer, presented the commissioners with site plan applications for a new 34,800 square-foot field house at 67 and 165 Central Ave. and a new 2.8-acre natural grass field at 40 Central Ave., both of which are adjacent to the university’s current soccer and lacrosse field, Reese Field.

The new natural grass field will be built atop the site of the former Yale Armory, which the university tore down due to structural decay, while the new field house will contain team rooms, lockers, shower facilities, film rooms, strength and conditioning rooms, and coaches’ offices for the university’s men’s and women’s varsity soccer and lacrosse teams.

Powers explained that the old Yale Armory site will be used as a construction staging ground as the new field house is being built.

He also showed the commissioners that the field house construction project will include the addition of a raised crosswalk on Central Avenue as a traffic calming and pedestrian safety measure"
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:21 am https://www.newhavenindependent.org/ind ... le_fields/

Yale To Build New Soccer & Lacrosse Field House adjacent to Reese Stadium on Central Avenue

"Yale won key city approvals to build a two-story field house for its soccer and lacrosse teams and a new natural grass field right across the street at the university’s Westville athletics complex.

Those site plan approvals came Wednesday night during the City Plan Commission’s regular monthly meeting on the second floor of City Hall.

Yale Lead Planner Jeromy Powers, along with university Community Affairs Associate Karen King and local attorney Joseph Hammer, presented the commissioners with site plan applications for a new 34,800 square-foot field house at 67 and 165 Central Ave. and a new 2.8-acre natural grass field at 40 Central Ave., both of which are adjacent to the university’s current soccer and lacrosse field, Reese Field.

The new natural grass field will be built atop the site of the former Yale Armory, which the university tore down due to structural decay, while the new field house will contain team rooms, lockers, shower facilities, film rooms, strength and conditioning rooms, and coaches’ offices for the university’s men’s and women’s varsity soccer and lacrosse teams.

Powers explained that the old Yale Armory site will be used as a construction staging ground as the new field house is being built.

He also showed the commissioners that the field house construction project will include the addition of a raised crosswalk on Central Avenue as a traffic calming and pedestrian safety measure"
That is a long time coming. It will be really nice for the players and visiting teams.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Comments section is brutal, rich white boy elitist lax boys getting their way again as usual. Tough crowd.
Hey, maybe this'll motivate Cornell to call the Menonites and have them throw up a pole barn for an indoor practice facility right quick.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”