Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... Public Opinion Starting to Turn.

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:08 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:59 pm
foreverlax wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:09 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Your post brings to mind this saying, which I repeat often:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”
Would you say this (fool and fanatic) applies top Trump as well....simply based on what he has said about himself (he never has any doubts).

Trump is, charitably speaking, a strange guy. He has mostly bluffed his way to a fortune, but as the other saying goes, You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. There is something underneath the bluster and I believe that there's always a reason for whom we elect; you tell me. Tell you what?

Anyway, yes, he's not a trustworthy guy interpersonally. I am not so sure he's a fanatic though. He has held off (so far) on warmongering, unlike almost every other candidate known to man so far in my life. That to me is refreshing.

Between Warren and Trump, I am afraid to tell my rather sober and smarter LaxFan friends, I apologize, but Trump is my choice.
So you say, he is a liar, but not a fanatic. I would agree with that.

How about the fool part? When was the last time Trump admitted he made a mistake...or said he was sorry?

You lost me when you tacked to war mongering....

What about Bill Weld? Fiscal conservative, 2nd supporter and libertarian on social issues.
I’d agree that he’s not a “fanatic”.

A corrupt fool, yes.

The warmongering question is interesting. Indeed there’s no actual evidence that Trump would have the stones to risk his own life in service, and at least so far it appears that there is no cause for which he’d actually fight.

But it’s really not clear what he believes in that arena, maybe he’d send troops to take some oil wells. He’s said we should have taken the Iraq oil, but then again he’s said a lot that may not be what he “thinks “.

But his foreign policy is perhaps best characterized as consistently aligned with Moscow. Almost ‘fanatically ‘ so.
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 am No, upon reconsideration, I prefer your path.

Let our grandkids pay for the stuff we're getting in 2019. Sounds like a plan.

Heck, let's cut taxes in half again. Why not? We're not man enough to pay our own bills, right? Might as well go all the way.

I'm sure our grandkids can figure out how to keep the lights on while they pay for all the stuff you and I got for free, right?

;)
Don't change the subject. You got it. You believe it. Send it in.
Not changing the subject at all. You've convinced me. We should be a nation of freeloaders, and let someone else pay for what we get.

You should be proud of this new morality of yours.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Between Warren and Trump, I am afraid to tell my rather sober and smarter LaxFan friends, I apologize, but Trump is my choice.
PB -- good faith question for you. I'd be interested in hearing your most honest possible answer.

Who was the last Dem you voted for for president? Which Dem, really, would you vote for instead of Trump in 2020? We know not Warren. So presumably not Bernie either. Obviously not Hillary. I'm guessing that you might consider Biden, but probably would vote Trump at the end of the day. Realistically, you're not going to vote for any Dem, right? You really wish you just had a different Republican option than Trump?

Am I reading you right?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 pm
PB -- good faith question for you. I'd be interested in hearing your most honest possible answer.

Who was the last Dem you voted for for president? Which Dem, really, would you vote for instead of Trump in 2020? We know not Warren. So presumably not Bernie either. Obviously not Hillary. I'm guessing that you might consider Biden, but probably would vote Trump at the end of the day. Realistically, you're not going to vote for any Dem, right? You really wish you just had a different Republican option than Trump?

Am I reading you right?

Nope. I'd vote for Biden.

And I voted for Obama first time. Second time, I skipped.

I do like Nikki Hailey...a lot.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I bet at least 20 (R) Senators would vote to remove Trump if Pence agreed to nominate Jim Mattis as a placeholder VP.

I would.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

They could do better than Mattis.

I bet you would get 100% GOP participation if Pence agreed to: (1) Appoint Nikki Haley as VP, (2) pardon Trump, then (3) resign.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Then Nikki could select Dan Crenshaw as HER VP...

..... a guy can dream can't he?

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:32 pm
ggait wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Am I reading you right?

And I voted for Obama first time. Second time, I skipped.

I do like Nikki Hailey...a lot.
of course you do know that she's an R, right? ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:59 pm They could do better than Mattis.

I bet you would get 100% GOP participation if Pence agreed to: (1) Appoint Nikki Haley as VP, (2) pardon Trump, then (3) resign.
I'd be good with that, though I'm not so sure the GOP would be better off with a pardon of Trump.

Let him, and his companies, face prosecution for actual crimes committed...just keep politics out of any such prosecutions, for darn sight don't order the DOJ to prosecute just because we think he's a bad guy. Let the prosecutors work that out and focus on financial crimes, if they exist. Sunlight is important. The Southern District looks pretty primed to go there and it's run by a Trump appointee, so that's a pretty fair shake seems to me. Trump has ample resources with which to defend himself in court. But he should need to actually do so (assuming the case is warranted).

If you don't cleanse Trumpism by addressing any actual crimes in court, and instead shield him from accountability, then you just invite a continued sense that he was indeed above the law. From a political perspective, the GOP needs to clean house of this disease or they're headed to the ash heap. And as a lifelong R, I'm rooting for an honorable re-birth.

But I'd compromise with Trump gone.
Problem is that he's not actually going to go away.
Trump TV is coming as soon as he leaves office.
This needs a stake through the heart.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:00 pm Then Nikki could select Dan Crenshaw as HER VP...

Why Nikki Haley? I can't find what her views are on governance anywhere.

Just curious.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:51 pm I bet at least 20 (R) Senators would vote to remove Trump if Pence agreed to nominate Jim Mattis as a placeholder VP.

I would.
I'm on board. ;)
Better yet, let Pence then resign himself.

Flake says 30 GOP Senators would vote now for removal if they could do it in secret.
The issue for all these GOP folks is that they need to know they won't be hung out to dry, coming up short.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Any other Dems you'd prefer vs Trump? Are Bernie and Lizzie your only beyond the pales?

So you were Obama, DNV, Trump? I wonder if you are the only Obama/Trump (sort of) voter we have on this board?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:39 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:00 pm Then Nikki could select Dan Crenshaw as HER VP...

Just curious.
she is a big old bowl of everybody-please-shut-up oatmeal. Comfort food. I don't think she has it in her to be offensive, but she is no cupcake either - like that bowl of oatmeal, she will stick to your ribs and keep you warm all morning (I took that one too far didn't I?). I just think she would be good for the GOP "brand", a steady hand on the helm, and there is definitely something sweet about the idea of the first female president being a republican....

LandM

Post by LandM »

HooDat,
Appreciate and respect many of your posts although this one you might get into a little bit of trouble with MeTo :D . You are way better at articulating the points.
Best
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HooDat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Just curious.
she is a big old bowl of everybody-please-shut-up oatmeal. Comfort food. I don't think she has it in her to be offensive, but she is no cupcake either - like that bowl of oatmeal, she will stick to your ribs and keep you warm all morning (I took that one too far didn't I?). I just think she would be good for the GOP "brand", a steady hand on the helm, and there is definitely something sweet about the idea of the first female president being a republican....
I think Nikki H would be tough on the rogue states without the Trump bully bluster flip flop. Remember her sturdy scolding of Iran while UN Amb. IMO, she wasn't kidding...

I think she would follow Trump well in keeping China honest.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Just curious.
I think Nikki H would be tough on the rogue states without the Trump bully bluster flip flop. Remember her sturdy scolding of Iran while UN Amb. IMO, she wasn't kidding...

I think she would follow Trump well in keeping China honest too.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

:roll: :roll: :roll: SOOO MANY BETTER CHOICES THAN GENERAL MATTIS---Rudy, Pompeo, Hastert/Jordan, Sondland perhaps? How about The People's Attorney General---" Bronxie Barr".

Kentucky's 2 :?: :?: :?: s would make terrific Senate parking lot attendants.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Just curious.
LandM's professed tender sensitivities aside ( ;) ), that's been the hope of the more moderate wing of the GOP.
She was a successful Governor, handled herself almost surprisingly (given lack of prior international experience) well at the UN, tough but never a toady to Trump much less Trumpism. Female, with immigrant roots, 'of color', dealt super well with issues that might have been tougher for another GOP governor, like Confederate flag, church shooting, etc.

So, she'd indeed be 'good for the GOP brand'.
It's darn hard to find many prominent GOP folks these days who could do that even somewhat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:08 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: SOOO MANY BETTER CHOICES THAN GENERAL MATTIS---Rudy, Pompeo, Hastert/Jordan, Sondland perhaps? How about The People's Attorney General---" Bronxie Barr".

wahoomurf,
pretty sure HooDat wasn't putting down Gen.Mattis at all, just liked another idea better.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:10 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:08 pm

wahoomurf,
pretty sure HooDat wasn't putting down Gen.Mattis at all, just liked another idea better.
À Chacun Son Goût.

Return to “POLITICS”