O Mid vs. Attackman

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

O Mid vs. Attackman

Post by Matnum PI »

Why do we even have these two names any more? Why not just "O"? I understand that there are moments when a d-player wins the ball and becomes an O-player and 3 of the formerly O-players (who are now D-players) sprint back onto D and these are typically "middies" while the 3 other formerly O-players stay on O and these are typically "attackmen" and... Is that really why we differentiate between attackmen and middies? Where a player prefers to attack the cage, from in front of or behind the cage? Seems to me that calling Attackmen, attackmen and calling O middies, O middies is just a vestige from years long ago. At best, a reminder of what position the kid played in high school. (When middies are substantially more likely to play both ways. i.e. When middies actually play middy.) Lefty and Righty seems more meaningful than Attackman and Middie. And that's not very meaningful.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Re: O Mid vs. Attackman

Post by HopFan16 »

I think you still need a way to differentiate between offensive players who never leave the field/are involved in every single possession vs. guys who rotate in and out/play roughly 40-70% of possessions (depending on the team)...if only for statistical/All-American purposes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why would statiscal/accolades be a reason to box in a set of players? Seems backwards.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Good point. With this said, I'd be curious to see how much PT a #1 O middy gets *when the O has the ball* vs. a #1 Attackman. My guess is that the numbers are very similar. Unless the #1 O Mid is actually the #4 Offensive player. And, if that's the case, should we even have a separation between Attackmen and Middies in terms of AAs?
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:22 am Why would statiscal/accolades be a reason to box in a set of players? Seems backwards.
I'm not following...
Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Was responding to comment that it’s necessary for stats and awards.

There might be other reasons for having the designation but it shouldn’t be to count stats and hand out awards. Those are antecedent to the game not the other way around. 0
calourie

Post by calourie »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:39 am I think you still need a way to differentiate between offensive players who never leave the field/are involved in every single possession vs. guys who rotate in and out/play roughly 40-70% of possessions (depending on the team)...if only for statistical/All-American purposes.
I've gotta agree with HopFan16 on this one. It's a small distinction, but a meaningful one, particularly as regards statistical comparison, both in terms of yearly award evaluation as well as career achievement. As a big Yale fan I will pose the example of 1990 grad Jon Reese who still holds the NCAA single season goal scoring record (though he now shares it with Lyle Thompson) with 82 during a season in which he spent about 90% (literally as in of every minute the Bulldogs played of every game) playing at both ends of the field. He also registered 15 assists that year, but to compare his 97 point total to the numerous attackmen playing strictly on the offensive end of the field who have registered over 100 points over the years is a disservice to Reese's achievements. Distinguishing the numbers between players who stay strictly on the offensive end and those who are called upon to play some D and come off the field occasionally feels to me like the appropriate way to evaluate comparative achievement.
Last edited by calourie on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

This is interesting. Does anyone know of a team that gives different terms (than attack and midfield) to its offensive players based on their roles within the offense. I suppose it could change based on the offense they are running.

For instance a team that starts most of their offensive possessions with a high wing dodge from an offensive player being guarded by a shortstick. Does that offensive player's role have a name?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We need to have a formal designation for that? Who are the people handing out these awards or making comparisons that wouldn’t understand the difference?

Basketball is increasingly going positionless. Teams, players and related don’t care. Only marginal fans and people like sport-writers who have financial incentive to care. And agents can find other incentives in contracts than 1st team all nba if positions do ultimately get that fluid.0
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

calourie wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:28 amI've gotta agree with HopFan16 on this one... As a big Yale fan I will pose the example of 1990 grad Jon Reese... Distinguishing the numbers between players who stay strictly on the offensive end and those who are called upon to play some D and come off the field occasionally feels to me like the appropriate way to evaluate comparative achievement.
For sure true for As and Ms from years gone by. But today, I dunno...
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Similarly, is there a difference between a D-man and a LSM? Both cover an offensive player, both get forward into the O end of the field when possible, both... Is there really a difference? A similar issue. In 1985, I'd never say this. But in 2019? I dunno. I see Goalies, FO middies, SSDMs, LSDMs, and O players.

ohmi, I smell a change in our Fantasy League for 2021. :)
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:29 am We need to have a formal designation for that? Who are the people handing out these awards or making comparisons that wouldn’t understand the difference?

Basketball is increasingly going positionless. Teams, players and related don’t care. Only marginal fans and people like sport-writers who have financial incentive to care. And agents can find other incentives in contracts than 1st team all nba if positions do ultimately get that fluid.0
probably everyone that votes on it? and basketball doesn't have the same substitution, restart and offsides rules, it's apples and oranges.

not that they wouldn't understand the difference, but that when they lined up 12 attackmen, who were on the field for every fast break to receive the fruit of everyone else's labor, and for every possession, without having to play d, run out a clear, or take a wing --- they'd have the #s of 80-110 points for a whole host of guys, vs 45-65 for a bunch of middies --- and att would take down 80-90% of those spots guaranteed. or more, probably.

just because the role of middies isn't exactly as it were in your mind's eye decades ago (hint - it's actually pretty close), doesn't mean this concept fits. it doesn't. attackmen get plenty of accolades, the headline of almost every recap. they're fine. (all imo)
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pmjust because the role of middies isn't exactly as it were in your mind's eye decades ago (hint - it's actually pretty close), doesn't mean this concept fits. it doesn't. attackmen get plenty of accolades, the headline of almost every recap. they're fine. (all imo)
wgd, I really don't think it's pretty close. Mids used to run 2-3 lines because the 1st line needed to rest. i.e. The middies played O and D. If a 1st line middy didn't have a 2nd line middy to replace him, he'd be running the full length of the field all game. Today, this is uncommon. Today, O mids off, D mids on.
Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The game doesn’t exist for voters of awards is what I’m suggesting. Fans exist because of the game. Having positions comes with the cost of fixing the concept of the game for many (most) players and coaches and limits the creativity and possibilities of the game. Stats are for super fans, not players who care about winning.

Anyone who’s seriously following along knows who does what. We’ve seen discussions about Scanlan for an easy example.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pmjust because the role of middies isn't exactly as it were in your mind's eye decades ago (hint - it's actually pretty close), doesn't mean this concept fits. it doesn't. attackmen get plenty of accolades, the headline of almost every recap. they're fine. (all imo)
wgd, I really don't think it's pretty close. Mids used to run 2-3 lines because the 1st line needed to rest. i.e. The middies played O and D. If a 1st line middy didn't have a 2nd line middy to replace him, he'd be running the full length of the field all game. Today, this is uncommon. Today, O mids off, D mids on.
what years are you talking about? were there plastic sticks on the field? when i played, we ran 2 offensive lines, never a 3rd line. and had 2 lsms and a ssdm on a line. and backups for the rope line. there were years where our faceoff guy played offense, and others where we had a fogo. and a designated wing guy.
because there wasn't a clearing clock, that was often when the substitutions were made, and outside of fast breaks, they got done. were mids caught on d a little more? yeah. that's about it.

watch some old syracuse games and count how many times the gaits were caught on d. that was over 30 years ago. 30.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 pm The game doesn’t exist for voters of awards is what I’m suggesting. Fans exist because of the game. Having positions comes with the cost of fixing the concept of the game for many (most) players and coaches and limits the creativity and possibilities of the game. Stats are for super fans, not players who care about winning.

Anyone who’s seriously following along knows who does what. We’ve seen discussions about Scanlan for an easy example.
i agree. but stats are the byproduct of the difference of positions. they are different, they're run differently, they have different roles. just in settled offense, attackmen are also primarily set up closer to the goal to do the finishing and take advantage of middies further out moving and stretching the defense.
to name them as equals defies all of that.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why is defying that a net negative? What if we all fix our thinking of how attachment should be set up because of this distinction and there were a better way out there? It’s constraining and that’s where I wonder if there’s a better reason than stats and awards to have fixed names for positions. That alone shouldn’t limit the game.

Hobart basically has run 5 attackmen out there (almost all lefty’s too which at times is a problem). It’s interesting if not by design but a product of recruiting success. Or what if there were 4-5 middies out there really spacing it out? Who cares what their title is. It’s about getting the ball in the back of the net.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:29 am We need to have a formal designation for that? Who are the people handing out these awards or making comparisons that wouldn’t understand the difference?

good point. it used to be 12345. now its GGGFF and even that isnt true. in the era of 7 footers dribbling, shooting threes, etc.

the one general *difference ill point out between A & M is the longstick coverage. *top middie excluded, of course
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Far, that's my question. So Hobart is running 5 As on offense. My question is... Why do we call them As? Why do we call the 6th O guy an M?
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 pmthe one general *difference ill point out between A & M is the longstick coverage. *top middie excluded, of course
Exactly. If there are 4 Long sticks on the field, the longies cover the 4 best O players. Not the three As and the top M (though the 3 As and the top M are often the top 4 O players). Also, the longies often cover the non-crease players when the crease players are clearly defined but... Longies and O players are the match-ups. Not Longies and As and Ms.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”