ALS

General Chatter
Matnum PI

ALS

Post by Matnum PI »

Friend's friend was diagnosed with ALS. Sounds like there's no cure, so to speak, but... Does anyone know of any relatively happy endings? Any success stories?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
SCLaxAttack

Re: ALS

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Just a terrible, and ultimately fatal, affliction. I believe the usual life expectancy is only a few years. Stephen Hawking survived decades, and I’m sure there are others, too. Pete Frates, a Boston College alum and baseball player, has used his situation in recent years for good while raising millions for ALS research through the Ice Bucket Challenge.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Did Hawking do anything to elongate his life expectancy?
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:21 pm Did Hawking do anything to elongate his life expectancy?
A college roommate and fellow RA was diagnosed with it. Tough disease.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Have never heard anything other than a grim future for those diagnosed with ALS. Been quite a bit of talk here in Cuse in the recent past with Tim Green's diagnosis. Not so sure football had anything to do with it but he thinks it might have.
2nd TLD's "tough desease".
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-green- ... 019-08-25/
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Sadly, it is said there is no cure and no treatment. I well remember seeing Scott Ledoux just a couple of years before he died of it. He looked so well one day and before long, he was gone.

Let's hope a cure will be found very soon.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

A very good friend was diagnosed and gone within 18 months. I saw her in April and she had complained about some unusual pain in her left foot. By that July she was diagnosed. She was gone the following January. She was a person who lived life...especially when she was in college! She did not want her 3 grown kids to have to suffer through her disease during their vibrant years away at school. She opted not to be put on a ventilator and with that decision death came very quickly. She was gone during their winter break, just as she had hoped. A horrible disease.

Here is a "long term" survivor. Steve Gleason, former undersized NFL Saint, a strong man. If you can find his documentary watch it. It covers his life from the time he is diagnosed. He created the videos to leave behind a memory for his unborn son. It's gut wrenching to watch but a great film. I believe he is still alive today.

Gleason - I dont think its still avaialble on Netflix. I believe it's available on Amazon Prime Video.
https://www.amazon.com/Gleason-Steve/dp/B01I2BH81W

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Good film.

Doesn't seem to be so many silver linings.
Caddy Day

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”