The DOGS Thread

General Chatter
DMac

Re: The DOGS thread is back.

Post by DMac »

That's funny, nothing better than a buddy, tennis ball, and game of fetch in the water for a Lab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edyi_YcQy3g
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 am That's funny, nothing better than a buddy, tennis ball, and game of fetch in the water for a Lab.
That's a unique way to play catch. :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 am That's funny, nothing better than a buddy, tennis ball, and game of fetch in the water for a Lab.
Dmac, your post made me smile and cry at the same time. I remember when my black lab became sick so quickly and we had to put her down. When I posted that you were one of the folks that understood and shared with me how hard it was watching your sons dog reaching the end. Well our yellow lab Jenna is now getting to the end of the road. She is only a little past 12 years old but her hips are giving out on her. The connection to tennis balls is what is about for me. I believe in her 12 plus years she has chased down over a million tennis balls I have thrown to her. She even has a look on her puss that we call ball face... her ears jacked up and her body twitching for the next throw one more ball. I now have to help her up the steps to the deck. What broke my heart this weekend was I rolled the ball at her and she touched it with her paw and would not pick it up in her mouth. She was telling me no more. It broke my heart, I love this dog so much. Your pics about your sons dog and the love that dog shares for doing what a lab was born to do made my day.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Just heartbreaking, cradle, really is. That's the toughest part about dogs, you know in the end they're just going to rip your heart out, they're such a good friend and so much fun to play with. Feel bad for you...the dog too.
I'm sure a million isn't much of an exaggeration, if at all.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

So sorry to hear. Tough to see them moving towards that inevitable trip over the rainbow bridge. If I'm lucky enough to get to heaven, I'm sure my canine posse will be there to greet me. Every child should grow up with a lab. World would be a much friendlier place.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:04 pm
Dmac, your post made me smile and cry at the same time. I remember when my black lab became sick so quickly and we had to put her down. When I posted that you were one of the folks that understood and shared with me how hard it was watching your sons dog reaching the end. Well our yellow lab Jenna is now getting to the end of the road. She is only a little past 12 years old but her hips are giving out on her. The connection to tennis balls is what is about for me. I believe in her 12 plus years she has chased down over a million tennis balls I have thrown to her. She even has a look on her puss that we call ball face... her ears jacked up and her body twitching for the next throw one more ball. I now have to help her up the steps to the deck. What broke my heart this weekend was I rolled the ball at her and she touched it with her paw and would not pick it up in her mouth. She was telling me no more. It broke my heart, I love this dog so much. Your pics about your sons dog and the love that dog shares for doing what a lab was born to do made my day.
Sorry to hear this C&S. Sounds like that dog and her owner found and helped each other form 12 years. Hang in there.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Perfect pass, this should have been smooth and easy play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRcgCCBxu2M
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:17 pm Perfect pass, this should have been smooth and easy play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRcgCCBxu2M

Pooch for the win!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Spent the last couple of days dog sitting the new pup, what a beauty he is. You'd think it would hurt to grow as fast as pups do, looks like a whole different dog. Labs really have a nice disposition, they're a much softer and gentler dog than a German Shepherd (still my favs) but have a ton of great qualities. This guy's all about that tennis ball..scores big points with gpaw with that..fetches and brings it right back, really is in their blood (this guy comes from a good hunting line, can see it in him). Has a much softer exchange and is more willing to give up the ball than a GSD (easily trainable with a GSD though), they want to make it a bit more of a challenge and don't give it up quite as willingly. This guy gets the catching part but needs a little work, he'll get it though. He'll get three out of five now, won't be long before he's five for five..more points with gpaw. I actually think the tennis ball is a little big for him right now, but it won't take long for that to change.
Smart dog, definitely a keeper and very trainable, listens and wants to learn. Got all the basics down already with the sit, stay, and shake part...take the time with that guy and I think you could teach him to do pretty much anything. Nice dog, for sure.
richard

Post by richard »

I don't know if it was ever mentioned here or on the laxpower site but as we head into the reading season you guys might like Farley Mowats book The Dog Who Wouldn't Be. You will laugh out loud and it will leave you in tears.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 am
Sorry to hear this C&S. Sounds like that dog and her owner found and helped each other form 12 years. Hang in there.
My dog is trying to make a fool out of me. We noticed she had some irritation between the pads on her back legs. She has been on meds for the last week and is like a brand new dog. She is even chasing balls a little bit now and when she is in the mood climbing the stairs on the deck. I feel bad I did not notice the irritation sooner. With any luck she will be with us for awhile longer... :D
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:42 pm
My dog is trying to make a fool out of me. We noticed she had some irritation between the pads on her back legs. She has been on meds for the last week and is like a brand new dog. She is even chasing balls a little bit now and when she is in the mood climbing the stairs on the deck. I feel bad I did not notice the irritation sooner. With any luck she will be with us for awhile longer... :D
Best news I’ve had all week. Just awesome C&S.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Musher's Secret. Great stuff for paw pads, especially in winter to protect from road salt.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:24 pm
Thanks coaster... she is lying by me as I write this. I love this dog to no end but she sure is driving my wife and I crazy.
Best news I’ve had all week. Just awesome C&S.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Oldbarndog wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm Musher's Secret. Great stuff for paw pads, especially in winter to protect from road salt.
Thanks for the tip. It took me way too long to see the irritation between her pads. I should have paid closer attention.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Every day's a bonus. Spend as much time with her as you can & spoil her as much as possible.

My best buddy just turned 11. He's still doing well, but I'm trying to make every day his best.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 pm
Oldbarndog wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm Musher's Secret. Great stuff for paw pads, especially in winter to protect from road salt.
Thanks for the tip. It took me way too long to see the irritation between her pads. I should have paid closer attention.
Can't beat yourself up about that. Boy, be easier if they could talk.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Pooch and Princess back in the spotlight:

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Owner failed to supply treat in timely manner.

Dog named Molly shoots an Oklahoma woman
https://apple.news/AKhgEeWZBTKSg7APG902hXg

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”