The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
foreverlax

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by foreverlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:36 am In case anyone is interested. First Friday of each month economic data is released.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t17.htm

Ton of great information provided by government resources. The thing that concerns me most about this administration, which is well illustrated in Michael Lewis’ most recent book (Fifth risk) is that it has made many successful efforts to reduce the amount of information available to its citizens. Very discomfiting for me, someone who mostly uses economic info but having learned how much valuable information on weather and energy, amongst other resources, that is useful to our lives in many ways.

To me, this is much better than the derivative which will always bias something of the author on either side, in an article or news story.
Agreed -

Retail down

Manufacturing down

Government up.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:36 am In case anyone is interested. First Friday of each month economic data is released.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t17.htm

Ton of great information provided by government resources. The thing that concerns me most about this administration, which is well illustrated in Michael Lewis’ most recent book (Fifth risk) is that it has made many successful efforts to reduce the amount of information available to its citizens. Very discomfiting for me, someone who mostly uses economic info but having learned how much valuable information on weather and energy, amongst other resources, that is useful to our lives in many ways.

To me, this is much better than the derivative which will always bias something of the author on either side, in an article or news story.
You are a great resource for us all.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Ditto. Keep it coming.

My industry is getting killed by the tariff wars. The next year is going to be a rough ride. And anything that is bad for alcohol, is doubly worse for restaurants.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Well, the Market certainly doesn't seem to be fazed by the threat of impeachment...

At least today ;)
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm Well, the Market certainly doesn't seem to be fazed by the threat of impeachment...

At least today ;)
Check the price of the Dow in January of '18.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 pm
My industry is getting killed by the tariff wars. The next year is going to be a rough ride. And anything that is bad for alcohol, is doubly worse for restaurants.
We're pretty committed to restaurants now. Our sector is Fast Casual, which is a step up from Fast Food and a step down from the Red Lobster/Applebees sector. No table service. No Tablecloths. Think (our competitors) Chipotle and Blaze

We sell alcohol, but most of it is domestic and craft beers and ciders that are domestically sourced. Our food is fresh or packaged domestically.

IMHO, a bat-turd crazy trade war helps us. Folks with money will move down market much more readily that the Big Mac and Whopper crowd move upwards. These folks show up with a bank balance and a taste for the premium experience. I should be cheering for Trump to crater the economy, but I'm not. A cowed Pence who just barely ducked a bullet would be just fine.......
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm Well, the Market certainly doesn't seem to be fazed by the threat of impeachment...

At least today ;)
I'm not publicly traded. Most American businesses aren't. ;)
a fan

Post by a fan »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:47 pm
We're pretty committed to restaurants now. Our sector is Fast Casual, which is a step up from Fast Food and a step down from the Red Lobster/Applebees sector. No table service. No Tablecloths. Think (our competitors) Chipotle and Blaze

We sell alcohol, but most of it is domestic and craft beers and ciders that are domestically sourced. Our food is fresh or packaged domestically.

IMHO, a bat-turd crazy trade war helps us. Folks with money will move down market much more readily that the Big Mac and Whopper crowd move upwards. These folks show up with a bank balance and a taste for the premium experience. I should be cheering for Trump to crater the economy, but I'm not. A cowed Pence who just barely ducked a bullet would be just fine.......
Interesting. Every James Beard Winning chef in America I know is trying to come up with their fast casual franchise idea.

One JB winning chef in Denver has one called "Chook Chicken". Chicken on a spit with healthy veggies and prebatched cocktails. Price point under $10 per person. They're killing it, as they say in the biz.

When I said restaurants, I guess I meant higher end. That's our playing field.
Last edited by a fan on Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:59 pm

At least today ;)
And most don’t provide 401ks and the majority that do, have a low participation rate.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:06 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:59 pm

At least today ;)
And most don’t provide 401ks and the majority that do, have a low participation rate.
Half the working population doesn't have a weeks paycheck in the bank, yet they will shout-out how great it is that Trump got rid of the "death tax".

Trump was crowing to a retirement village about how awful ACA is, how terrible the "mandatory enrollment"...like there is a guaranteed to keep their doctor when on Medicare. Slurp.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:13 pm

At least today ;)
Check the price of the Dow in January of '18.
Essentially flat, within a single day's fluctuation over the period.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
tech37

Post by tech37 »

:lol: Impulsive b00bs... I wasn't making a pro-Trump or great economy statement, just amazed the Market wasn't tanking despite the "sky is falling" sentiment on this board. Have a nice weekend b00bs...

correction edit
Last edited by tech37 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Reactionary B00bs? Bit of an odd comment coming from a guy who seems to think that we don't know what it's like on Main St. (your 401k comments).

We're trying to tell you how it's going for us non Fortune 500 b00bs. Maybe listen, for once, just as a change of pace? ;)

You have a nice weekend, too.

BTW, maybe you missed, but I'm $500K out of pocket next year, and $500K every year following, if this impeachment nonsense keeps bills from getting signed. That's pretty serious money, don't you think?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm [quote=3rdPersonPlural post_id=80899 time=<a href="tel:1570222022">1570222022</a> user_id=348]
[quote="a fan" post_id=80848 time=<a href="tel:1570211460">1570211460</a> user_id=337]

[/quote]
Interesting. Every James Beard Winning chef in America I know is trying to come up with their fast casual franchise idea.

One JB winning chef in Denver has one called "Chook Chicken". Chicken on a spit with healthy veggies and prebatched cocktails. Price point under $10 per person. They're killing it, as they say in the biz.

When I said restaurants, I guess I meant higher end. That's our playing field.
[/quote]

Do you sell to Elways Downton (I guess that’s downtown Denver) at the ritz? Best place I’ve eaten (a couple of times in that town. I mean it’s not Lugers but nothing is. Service and food has been spot on every time though. (Unlike, day, most Del Friscos outside of the NYC one).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 pm Do you sell to Elways Downton (I guess that’s downtown Denver) at the ritz? Best place I’ve eaten (a couple of times in that town. I mean it’s not Lugers but nothing is. Service and food has been spot on every time though. (Unlike, day, most Del Friscos outside of the NYC one).
Oh heck no. That's up market stuff. Step down to Olive Garden. Then step down again to Chipotle. Now you're in our space. :)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I meant AFan who I know is out in Colorado. Yours sounds a lot closer to QSR type stuff, which I’m fine with places like tin drum, always liked Baja Fresh over chipotle for whatever reason.

But am getting tired of the chef driven stuff. I remember working at 11 Madison when Danny Meyer has a little stand in MS Park and folks would line up, not me, I’m not lining up for anything that ain’t phenomenal wings or barbecue but don’t get overpaying for a decent burger or the like as people all rush to do. Whatever happened to cosi? Their sandwiches were pretty good.

And for folks visiting Atlanta, Varsity sucks (but history is cool once, kind of like bens chili bowl-food overrated hut worth going once), fatt matts bbq is whack (music usually good-go to daddy dz instead) and taco Mac is atrocious food and wings. Mellow mushroom which has exploded throughout the SE isn’t bad pizza though, for the south.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Interesting comments on Fast Cas. Isn’t finding and keeping good staff challenging? How do you get them to buy into high sanitation standards so you don’t become like Chipotle?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 pm Reactionary B00bs?
Impulsive, not "reactionary" :roll: my bad...

That's what I get for drinking and posting :oops:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:13 pm :lol: Impulsive b00bs... I wasn't making a pro-Trump or great economy statement, just amazed the Market wasn't tanking despite the "sky is falling" sentiment on this board. Have a nice weekend b00bs...

correction edit
:lol: :lol: :lol: Who do you think you are fooling? :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:46 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:13 pm :lol: Impulsive b00bs... I wasn't making a pro-Trump or great economy statement, just amazed the Market wasn't tanking despite the "sky is falling" sentiment on this board. Have a nice weekend b00bs...

correction edit
:lol: :lol: :lol: Who do you think you are fooling? :lol:
used the wrong word 72...happens...the "b00bs" part stands :D

Return to “POLITICS”