Syracuse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LandM

Re: Syracuse 2020

Post by LandM »

This is a total long-shot and I am sure many will laugh but there is a local guy, played pretty well at SU; taken the premier local academic high school and won a state championship; taught my kid the famous butt-end check; announces games pretty well as he is just as entertaining in person as on TV; and he has mellowed post kids, believe it or not. Not sure if a great fit based on ego's but he certainly could plug a hole.....no laughing :lol: :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Some might find the entertaining part more annoying than entertaining, and the ego is beyond huge, but he'd probably be a real good part of the coaching staff. Would bring some fire to the staff on the sidelines, which seems to have been lacking in recent years, that's for sure.
LandM

Post by LandM »

DMac - obviously you have met him - but age and kids do mellow you a bit. Wife is Genny grad so we know most - btw, the band is pretty good - anyway you need some fire on that sidelines - watch PJ at MN - now that guy has some fire in the belly - as much as people bit$h about a few coaches - Desko maintains the low key approach - need some head bumping along the way IMHO and no I think Desko does a great job.........
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

U fellas talking bout Uncle Ric?
Mack

Post by Mack »

I think from a coaching standpoint Beardsley would be great, but he has no recruiting background at a college level.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

RB bleeds Orange. Can he make a difference on the defensive end of the field? Let’s face it, D has been an issues for years. Carcatera was on LaxSportsNet & said he would choose Will Manny. Offense IMO will never be an issue w this team. They need to make more stops on D. Especially, the ACC is a grind & UVA has awoken.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

LandM wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:42 am This is a total long-shot and I am sure many will laugh but there is a local guy, played pretty well at SU; taken the premier local academic high school and won a state championship; taught my kid the famous butt-end check; announces games pretty well as he is just as entertaining in person as on TV; and he has mellowed post kids, believe it or not. Not sure if a great fit based on ego's but he certainly could plug a hole.....no laughing :lol: :lol:
i think Beardsley is a great idea...no laughing
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:01 am RB bleeds Orange. Can he make a difference on the defensive end of the field? Let’s face it, D has been an issues for years. Carcatera was on LaxSportsNet & said he would choose Will Manny. Offense IMO will never be an issue w this team. They need to make more stops on D. Especially, the ACC is a grind & UVA has awoken.
Announcing a significant change this late is perplexing. SU will regroup but weird timing given the progress seen last season and good outlook heading into 2020. They better select an assistant wisely because this could really sting.

No need for any further changes this year .Big Beardsley fan but SU D last year was very good outside a few bad stretches . Played one of the tougher schedules and had same gaa as ND d who gets applauded at every turn , slightly behind a excellent Duke D and better than UVA and UNC. Orange mf d is about as good as it gets and their cd was solid for the most part. Ned to find two cd but rest of D is intact.

Getting back to Donahue, one of the most experienced and better OC in game . Assume he made the decision to step down himself because SU admin be idiots if they gave him any push. Offense stagnated at times because no Sowers type igniting but Kevin's scheme spread ball around nicely and could be difficult to defend. Team is athletic at mf and O hummed when playing fast so expecting Cuse to seek a run and gun OC . Scalan addition helps fill a one big void at attack but another attackman has to
rise to the forefront to stamp that as a strong unit.

Maybe overstating but Im trying to get Donahue to change his mind for at least another year
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree across the board, stup.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Syracuse at Albany April 3rd
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Scarmo out. Donahue gets his job. Rumors Desko bringing in young offensive mind. Galloway won't take assistant job. Heard a wealthy donor behind it.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

What is the average age of the current staff, mid to late 50's ? The unfortunate truth is the staff needs to get younger. It's about perception, not lacrosse knowledge or a succession plan. It's just the lacrosse world we live in today and Virginia's recent success doesn't help change the narrative.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Over 60...
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

dawn patrol wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 pm What is the average age of the current staff, mid to late 50's ? The unfortunate truth is the staff needs to get younger. It's about perception, not lacrosse knowledge or a succession plan. It's just the lacrosse world we live in today and Virginia's recent success doesn't help change the narrative.
because????
they were scoring top 10, as they've done plenty of times.
supposedly while not getting any recruits.
if anything, they've missed recently with attackmen. and faceoff. they seem to have guys that can play at d, lsm, ssdm, middie, goalie. at least once they're in college.
good amount of energy by the players on the sidelines. if i had critiques, i'd say their roster is too big and they've participated in too much groupthink on value possession. finding and hiring a candidate that thinks differently on those is doubtful.

the rest is you're playing against a top 8 or 10 nowadays, not a top 4 then a dropoff.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The coaches haven’t forgotten how to coach although you might think it is a STD if you read done Hopkins posters. There are other reasons schools like Cuse and Hopkins have dropped off but it is easier to blame the coaches while other schools have improved
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

RB would be a disaster...bring him in once in awhile to talk to the boyz, but everyday? That would be a car bomb :lol:
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:07 am
dawn patrol wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 pm What is the average age of the current staff, mid to late 50's ? The unfortunate truth is the staff needs to get younger. It's about perception, not lacrosse knowledge or a succession plan. It's just the lacrosse world we live in today and Virginia's recent success doesn't help change the narrative.
because????
they were scoring top 10, as they've done plenty of times.
supposedly while not getting any recruits.
if anything, they've missed recently with attackmen. and faceoff. they seem to have guys that can play at d, lsm, ssdm, middie, goalie. at least once they're in college.
good amount of energy by the players on the sidelines. if i had critiques, i'd say their roster is too big and they've participated in too much groupthink on value possession. finding and hiring a candidate that thinks differently on those is doubtful.

the rest is you're playing against a top 8 or 10 nowadays, not a top 4 then a dropoff.
Very good summation
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

I agree.
You don’t know the recruits they wanted but didn't land. It’s human nature for current juniors and seniors to wonder what this staff will look like in five to six years. Previous poster mentioned SU had one recruit of the 100 plus U19 invites. Would naming Rogers as Associate Head Coach help? IDK ?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Casey Powell throws out first pitch at a Whitesox game and goes behind the back.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”