Colleges That Should Add Men's Lacrosse ASAP

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Chips O'Toole

Colleges That Should Add Men's Lacrosse ASAP

Post by Chips O'Toole »

This is my list of high profile D1/D3 schools that should seriously consider adding Men's lacrosse, for a host of reason I won't go into, but I invite others to weigh in on why these may or may not work, other similar colleges to consider, Title 9 issues, etc. (Note: This is not intended to include pipe dreams from SEC/Big 12/Pac-12).

(1) Davidson (Charlotte area). Winner of the "They don't already have mlax?" award. Would fit nicely into D1 SoCon with Richmond and Furman.
(2) Carnegie Mellon (Pittsburgh). Would be a huge addition to D3, with many natural rivals in the immediate area (Penn/Ohio).
(3) Washington U - St. Louis. Another outstanding D3 school with plenty of midwest and southern competition nearby.
(4) Case Western Reserve (Cleveland). Rival to Carnegie Mellon. Great school and natural fit in the midwest.
(5) Northwestern. Come on, why not already?
(6) University of Chicago.
(7) Trinity University (San Antonio). Great school, big endowment, excellent athletics. SAA alignment and natural non-conference rival in Southwestern U.
(8) Emory University (Atlanta). Could compete with Wash U. and U. Chicago in UAA, and regional rivals in the SAA (Sewanee, Rhodes, Berry etc).
(9) Citadel (SC) -- VMI needs a rival. Natural fit in the SoCon.
(10) Wofford (SC) -- another D1 SoCon natural.
44WeWantMore

Re: Colleges That Should Add Men's Lacrosse ASAP

Post by 44WeWantMore »

It looks as if #38 has not made it here yet, but he did mention that he had a son whose academics earned him a spot at CMU. He might have some insight on their appetite for adding Lax.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Moving this to the D1 Forum with a shadow in the D3 Forum.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Chips O'Toole wrote:This is my list of high profile D1/D3 schools that should seriously consider adding Men's lacrosse, for a host of reason I won't go into, but I invite others to weigh in on why these may or may not work, other similar colleges to consider, Title 9 issues, etc. (Note: This is not intended to include pipe dreams from SEC/Big 12/Pac-12).

(1) Davidson (Charlotte area). Winner of the "They don't already have mlax?" award. Would fit nicely into D1 SoCon with Richmond and Furman.
{snip}
{snip}
#1 - Can't, Title IX.
#5 - Can't, Title IX
#9 - Won't without a Sugar Daddy to pay for it.
#10 - Probably can't, Title IX. Probably won't without a Sugar Daddy to pay for it.

All four play D-1 football. For D-1A NWern, that's an 85-scholarship hole for a majority female school. For the D-1AA others, it's 65 scholarships. The Citadel shouldn't have a Title IX problem, but probably doesn't have the money. In general, any school that already has a varsity WLax team is using it to get their Title IX numbers up and, therefore, can't add a MLax team.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hmmm, Davidson: a liberal arts college with about 2,000 students and a pretty good academic reputation. Perhaps you'd ask "They don't already have mlax?" because Davidson brings to mind Denison and Washington & Lee, two schools with good men's lacrosse. But Denison and W&L are D3 with long lax histories and traditional lacrosse rivals located very nearby. Davidson is D1 with no lax history or tradition; apart from the Title IX issue, I don't think it would be competitive in D1 or willing/able to play in D3.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

UChi is going varsity D3 with women's lax in 2019 (not sure if '18-'19 or '19-'20). Guess this squashes men's lax potential. The have D3 football.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

FannOLax wrote:Hmmm, Davidson: a liberal arts college with about 2,000 students and a pretty good academic reputation. Perhaps you'd ask "They don't already have mlax?" because Davidson brings to mind Denison and Washington & Lee, two schools with good men's lacrosse. But Denison and W&L are D3 with long lax histories and traditional lacrosse rivals located very nearby. Davidson is D1 with no lax history or tradition; apart from the Title IX issue, I don't think it would be competitive in D1 or willing/able to play in D3.
I think the same, more or less, could have been said about either Richmond or Furman several years ago.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

HowieT3 wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:This is my list of high profile D1/D3 schools that should seriously consider adding Men's lacrosse, for a host of reason I won't go into, but I invite others to weigh in on why these may or may not work, other similar colleges to consider, Title 9 issues, etc. (Note: This is not intended to include pipe dreams from SEC/Big 12/Pac-12).

{snip}
{snip}
#1 - Can't, Title IX.
#5 - Can't, Title IX
#10 - Probably can't, Title IX. Probably won't without a Sugar Daddy to pay for it.

All four play D-1 football. For D-1A NWern, that's an 85-scholarship hole for a majority female school. For the D-1AA others, it's 65 scholarships. The Citadel shouldn't have a Title IX problem, but probably doesn't have the money. In general, any school that already has a varsity WLax team is using it to get their Title IX numbers up and, therefore, can't add a MLax team.
C'mon, Howie, that's nothing a 58-person rowing team can't fix, and N'western is right on the lake! https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?path=wrow
Oldblue86

Post by Oldblue86 »

I might add Columbia to that list; only Ivy without a men's program, plenty of $, and a relatively new woman's rugby club side that could be turned into a varsity sport relatively quickly from a title IX perspective.
Last edited by Oldblue86 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManFeelings

Post by ManFeelings »

Oldblue86 wrote:I might add Columbia to that list; only Ivy without a men's program, plenty of $, and a relatively new woman's rugby club side that could be turned into a varsity sport relatively quickly from a title XI perspective.
Rugby isn't an official NCAA sport, so that wouldn't help from a Title IX perspective as far as I know.
Oldblue86

Post by Oldblue86 »

ManFeelings wrote:
Oldblue86 wrote:I might add Columbia to that list; only Ivy without a men's program, plenty of $, and a relatively new woman's rugby club side that could be turned into a varsity sport relatively quickly from a title XI perspective.
Rugby isn't an official NCAA sport, so that wouldn't help from a Title IX perspective as far as I know.

You might very well be correct, but I believe you are incorrect in that assertion:

https://www.vnews.com/Archives/2015/04/ ... -vn-040315
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Let me say it right now. UCONN!!!!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Chips O'Toole wrote:
FannOLax wrote:Hmmm, Davidson: a liberal arts college with about 2,000 students and a pretty good academic reputation. Perhaps you'd ask "They don't already have mlax?" because Davidson brings to mind Denison and Washington & Lee, two schools with good men's lacrosse. But Denison and W&L are D3 with long lax histories and traditional lacrosse rivals located very nearby. Davidson is D1 with no lax history or tradition; apart from the Title IX issue, I don't think it would be competitive in D1 or willing/able to play in D3.
I think the same, more or less, could have been said about either Richmond or Furman several years ago.
As I see things, Davidson would have more in common with Furman than with Richmond. It seems that a lot of the increase in college men's teams has come in D2, including schools that I didn't know existed before hearing about their lax teams... a pattern that makes me hesitant to predict the next colleges to add men's lax. For Denver, Air Force and Utah, it would certainly be good for more D1 schools in the Mountain Time Zone (or anywhere Western, I suppose) to add mlax. Not having a football team seems like a good thing (think Loyola, Denver, Quinnipiac and Fairfield in D1; Cabrini, Messiah and Bard in D3), perhaps related to Title IX.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Presbyterian College in SC had a program from 2006-2011 and Jason Childs was their head coach who is now at DIII St. Mary's (MD). I would like to see them make a comeback and they would be a SoCon team.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Va Tech
Ga Tech
Wake Forest
Columbia
Purdue

Many of them being tech schools with a higher male population

Could see smaller midwest schools looking that don't have high level or scholarship football.. the Creightons, Drakes, Bradleys, St louis, Valpos of the world
ManFeelings

Post by ManFeelings »

Oldblue86 wrote:
ManFeelings wrote:

You might very well be correct, but I believe you are incorrect in that assertion:

https://www.vnews.com/Archives/2015/04/ ... -vn-040315
Glad to be proven wrong. Including emerging sports in the Title IX calculations can only be a good thing as far as adding more varsity lacrosse programs.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HowieT3 wrote:

{snip}
{snip}
#1 - Can't, Title IX.
#5 - Can't, Title IX

Will say it again. NO college has been sued/litigated for adding a mens team. EVER.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Homer

Post by Homer »

(2) Carnegie Mellon (Pittsburgh). Would be a huge addition to D3, with many natural rivals in the immediate area (Penn/Ohio).
(3) Washington U - St. Louis. Another outstanding D3 school with plenty of midwest and southern competition nearby.
(4) Case Western Reserve (Cleveland). Rival to Carnegie Mellon. Great school and natural fit in the midwest.
(7) Trinity University (San Antonio). Great school, big endowment, excellent athletics. SAA alignment and natural non-conference rival in Southwestern U.
(8) Emory University (Atlanta). Could compete with Wash U. and U. Chicago in UAA, and regional rivals in the SAA (Sewanee, Rhodes, Berry etc).
The question that too rarely gets asked in these discussions is, Why would the school administrations at these places do this? What's in it for them? Here you've got a list of schools, most of which can fill their freshman class several times over with qualified applicants, so there's no real question of adding the sport as an enrollment strategy. These are famous universities with extremely mature brands; the notion that playing a sport a statistically tiny number of people actually watch is going to move the needle much reputationally is a strange one.

One thing adding 50 or so young men with the typical demographics of a D1/D3 lacrosse team WILL do is pull the school down in every ranking for socioeconomic diversity that every one of these places is currently consumed with keeping up with their peers in. I don't say this with any rancor towards anyone, I'm just saying, look at the realities for any of these places (or Columbia, etc) and tell me who, institutionally, is actually going to be pushing for mlax because it benefits them or their vision for the school in any concrete, tangible way.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Homer wrote:

The question that too rarely gets asked in these discussions is, Why would the school administrations at these places do this? What's in it for them? Here you've got a list of schools, most of which can fill their freshman class several times over with qualified applicants, so there's no real question of adding the sport as an enrollment strategy. These are famous universities with extremely mature brands; the notion that playing a sport a statistically tiny number of people actually watch is going to move the needle much reputationally is a strange one.

One thing adding 50 or so young men with the typical demographics of a D1/D3 lacrosse team WILL do is pull the school down in every ranking for socioeconomic diversity that every one of these places is currently consumed with keeping up with their peers in. I don't say this with any rancor towards anyone, I'm just saying, look at the realities for any of these places (or Columbia, etc) and tell me who, institutionally, is actually going to be pushing for mlax because it benefits them or their vision for the school in any concrete, tangible way.
Because student athletes have a much higher GPA, Graduation Rate, Retention Rate, better Alumni Relations, and Alumni give back substantially more than the average student body. Also it adds to the "student experience" that many schools are focusing on.
bulax

Post by bulax »

It confuses me that boston college hasnt re added a mens team. Perennial success at womens LAX, perfect school profile for lax, great location, local talent (+BC high is a power in MA that turns out great recruits), plenty of money, a confrence that needs 1 more team, pretty much every comprable school has it, and they have a nationally sucessful club team to draw from. The club team regularly gets 120+ for tryouts, so the interest is there. Would be great to have another d1 team in boston as merrimack is being added.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”