Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well - I didn't have GPA's and grade inflation on my JHU '25 summer bingo card. I ntoiced on youtube more players are starting to post senior year highlights - ran across McCleary's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXGVDqkVj5E&t=134s
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:09 am Well - I didn't have GPA's and grade inflation on my JHU '25 summer bingo card. I ntoiced on youtube more players are starting to post senior year highlights - ran across McCleary's
If you could design a player in a lab that this team needs, he might look pretty close to McCleary. 6’2’’ middie who can run by people, shoot on the run, and create his own shot. Played a lot of good teams in high school. The jump to college midfield can sometimes be tough but if anyone seems ready for it, it’s him.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nice writeup here on Graham Kaestner and the Kaestner lacrosse family

https://www.advnclacrosse.com/committed ... r-advnc-24
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:58 pm
By the time Harvard moved to abolish the Dean’s List, 92 percent of students qualified.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2022 ... inflation/
But, I would take their curve with a grain of salt, as
these numbers are estimated from Crimson surveys that represent only a part of the student body, combined with third-party analyses of Harvard records, so try to focus on the long-term trend rather than specific GPA averages at any point in time.
I'm pretty familiar with Harvard as my wife went there for college.

She always finds it funny when people think it's academically rigorous to earn a decent GPA. Just as I find the same for JHU now. Ofcourse, if you take econometrics and Math 55 type courses at Harvard, then your GPA is justified.

https://csadvising.seas.harvard.edu/con ... on/honors/

You can see the cum laude cutoff for the class of 2024 is a 3.795, which means 50% of the class has a GPA above that. Quite a jump from 2019 when it was 3.62.

A poster did note that freshman selectivity has gone up which is a good point and can partially account for this. All ivies plus JHU have sub 8% acceptance rates. High school GPAs are all around 3.9 for these schools, and SATs are stratospheric now. Hopkins's average SAT has been above 1500 for some time now.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:57 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:09 am Well - I didn't have GPA's and grade inflation on my JHU '25 summer bingo card. I ntoiced on youtube more players are starting to post senior year highlights - ran across McCleary's
If you could design a player in a lab that this team needs, he might look pretty close to McCleary. 6’2’’ middie who can run by people, shoot on the run, and create his own shot. Played a lot of good teams in high school. The jump to college midfield can sometimes be tough but if anyone seems ready for it, it’s him.
Will be curious to see how the final incoming freshman rankings shake out. There's a lot of noise in them, but top ranked players typically do pan out more of then than not as in the case of QK and Hunter Chauvette.

On another note, i feel old now as I don't recognize any of the artists or songs in these highlight vids. No cap as the kids say.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:36 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:33 pm
PotomacRiver wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:32 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:44 pm
Yes, when I was around, the average GPA was like a 3.2. It's closer to a 3.8 now. Back in the day, if you got a 3.7 and decent GREs, you were an auto admit to Stanford and MIT grad school with fellowship due to the professor connections.
Average GPA is 3.8??? Yikes, where is that number coming from?
Not sure about Hopkins but at several of the Ivy’s where I have seen the data it is around that, 3.7 or so. Not trying to throw any shade at anyone, and I absolutely hate that it is this way now, but a 3.8 is basically average grades at many schools now. Ironically, it is often hard to get top grades at less prestigious schools than at top ones.
Myths are hard to dispel, but the average Ivy GPA is 3.5- 3.6

That's indeed up from yesteryear, but nothing like 3.7 except at Brown where they have a lot of pass fail classes and design your own major.

https://ripplematch.com/insights/the-av ... y-64f7f55d

You may be thinking of what it takes out of HS to get into an Ivy? Unweighted GPA to get in most is a 3.7. Weighted is much higher.
Is this a satirical post? First, most Ivy schools average GPA is at 3.7 or higher. Second, I said it was around 3.7 and you reply that its is 3.5-3.6, "nothing like 3.7 except at Brown". Last I checked 3.6 is pretty damn near 3.7! Anyway, that 2019 data is from 2019 and completely outdated now. As Nocal said, Harvard is 3.7 or above, most of the rest of the Ivys are as well. I see this data all the time evaluating applications. What it "should be" based on the intelligence of the students at the schools is a completely different conversation but as a purely mathematical fact, there is nothing at all remarkable about graduating an Ivy school with a 3.7 or 3.8 GPA, that is the norm now.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:23 am
By the time Harvard moved to abolish the Dean’s List, 92 percent of students qualified.

these numbers are estimated from Crimson surveys that represent only a part of the student body, combined with third-party analyses of Harvard records, so try to focus on the long-term trend rather than specific GPA averages at any point in time.

She always finds it funny when people think it's academically rigorous to earn a decent GPA. Just as I find the same for JHU now. Ofcourse, if you take econometrics and Math 55 type courses at Harvard, then your GPA is justified.

You can see the cum laude cutoff for the class of 2024 is a 3.795, which means 50% of the class has a GPA above that. Quite a jump from 2019 when it was 3.62.

A poster did note that freshman selectivity has gone up which is a good point and can partially account for this. All ivies plus JHU have sub 8% acceptance rates. High school GPAs are all around 3.9 for these schools, and SATs are stratospheric now. Hopkins's average SAT has been above 1500 for some time now.
One of the reasons students get into Harvard is because they earned straight A’s. Why should they stop getting A’s for A-quality work just because they are at Harvard?

DocBarrister 🤷🏽‍♀️
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:47 pm

One of the reasons students get into Harvard is because they earned straight A’s. Why should they stop getting A’s for A-quality work just because they are at Harvard?

DocBarrister 🤷🏽‍♀️
I think the question is why is average GPA going up? are classes and grades now more of a participation trophy? Colleges used to be on a curve where the top 25% would get an A, not top 70% now. A+ grades in high school AP or honors chem (with often less difficulty vs college) should not always translate into As in College Level Chem classes for instance.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Looks like Collison and Firth might be all the way back, their team appealed,

"Without the forfeitures, the (OJLL) standings would see Toronto in first at 15-3 and Orangeville second at 13-4. The Northmen beat the Beaches 14-13 in overtime last Saturday at Toronto's Ted Reeve Arena.
So what happens now?
The language from the appeals committee report, which appears in full below, would appear to suggest that the games that the Beaches forfeited would be reinstated as wins."
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:54 pm

DocBarrister 🤷🏽‍♀️
I think the question is why is average GPA going up? are classes and grades now more of a participation trophy? Colleges used to be on a curve where the top 25% would get an A, not top 70% now. A+ grades in high school AP or honors chem (with often less difficulty vs college) should not always translate into As in College Level Chem classes for instance.
Yep, I understand what you’re saying.

Still, I think today’s students are just better. In fact, I don’t think it’s even close. The students at Hopkins, the Ivies, and other top colleges are much better prepared today than they were in decades past.

As for college difficulty versus high school … I had friends from Andover and Lawrenceville tell me high school was tougher than Hopkins, and Hopkins has never been an easy place to study. I went to a top public high school, and we had to get a 93 on tests just to get an A-.

Finally, it’s just moronic to arbitrarily limit an A grade to 25% of a class. That’s just f*cking lazy.

I can tell you that in my experience, Hopkins had the toughest grading among the universities from which I earned a degree. Hopkins also had (BY FAR) the worst quality teaching of any of those top universities. Tough grading does not correlate with good teaching.

Heard the quality of teaching at Hopkins has improved.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins was a C curve school for a long time. That eased ? When it gop pre-med got rejected by Hopkins Med.

A couple of recruiting targets who went to Princeton instead of Hopkins said they made the choice because Princeton would be easier to stay in

Our Yale grad daughter said much the same thing absent the recruiting angle.

The last time i had real contact with potential recruits i heard one Hopkins negative in the camps was the rigor required to stay in. That was precovid

Worth reading
https://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Hebre ... 104&sr=8-6
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:03 pm Hopkins was a C curve school for a long time. That eased ? When its top pre-med got rejected by Hopkins Med.

A couple of recruiting targets who went to Princeton instead of Hopkins said they made the choice because Princeton would be easier to stay in

Our Yale grad daughter said much the same thing absent the recruiting angle.

The last time i had real contact with potential recruits i heard one Hopkins negative in the camps was the rigor required to stay in. That was precovid
molo

Post by molo »

Isn’t the Hopkins graduation rate pretty high? No doubt it takes hard work to keep up, but I would think few students who can get in graduate.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:24 pm Isn’t the Hopkins graduation rate pretty high? No doubt it takes hard work to keep up, but I would think few students who can get in graduate.
well, back in 1967, guys were going to princeton so they could graduate and not fail out at hopkins. you do the math.
molo

Post by molo »

Meant to say don’t graduate. As a rule, the graduation rate for highly selective schools is pretty high.
molo

Post by molo »

1967 was the year that I graduated from hs. It’s a limited sample, but I don’t know anyone roughly my age who went to either Princeton or Hopkins who didn’t graduate. And back then, you graduated in four years or lost your student deferment.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:28 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:54 pm

DocBarrister 🤷🏽‍♀️
Yep, I understand what you’re saying.

Still, I think today’s students are just better. In fact, I don’t think it’s even close. The students at Hopkins, the Ivies, and other top colleges are much better prepared today than they were in decades past.

As for college difficulty versus high school … I had friends from Andover and Lawrenceville tell me high school was tougher than Hopkins, and Hopkins has never been an easy place to study. I went to a top public high school, and we had to get a 93 on tests just to get an A-.

Finally, it’s just moronic to arbitrarily limit an A grade to 25% of a class. That’s just f*cking lazy.

I can tell you that in my experience, Hopkins had the toughest grading among the universities from which I earned a degree. Hopkins also had (BY FAR) the worst quality teaching of any of those top universities. Tough grading does not correlate with good teaching.

Heard the quality of teaching at Hopkins has improved.

DocBarrister
The vast majority of students at Hopkins and other privates did not attend top high schools like andover, exeter, stuyvesant, thomas jefferson school of science and technology (which are in the top 1% of schools by rigor) - just average private or public schools, so I don't get that aspect.

As for the 25% curve, many of the engineering and science classes are hard. The median grade in orgo, biochem, and advanced tensor analysis would be a 50/100 (this is still how it is in rigorous publics like Berkeley today and it was how it was in Hopkins recently). Now should you still still give an A to someone who scored a 40? Is that A quality?

We disagree here.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Bloomberg gives $1 billion to the med school so the vast majority of students can have free tuition: https://www.wsj.com/us-news/education/j ... s-4f03edef

Genuinely transformational for the med school but probably not a big impact on lacrosse. Still, buried in the official press release was this:
In addition to investing in future generations of doctors, this $1 billion endowment from Bloomberg Philanthropies will support leaders in other critical health-related fields through increased graduate financial aid in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and School of Nursing, and it will expand aid for graduate degrees offered by the Johns Hopkins schools of Education, Engineering, Business, Arts and Sciences, and Advanced International Studies; the Peabody Institute; and the newly announced School of Government and Policy. The gift also will support the development of a new program to draw impact-focused interdisciplinary leaders into the worlds of research, industry, and government through innovations in PhD education and training.
More finaid for the business school and other grad programs
molo

Post by molo »

Magnanimous gesture. All smart students should have free higher education.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:37 pm Bloomberg gives $1 billion to the med school so the vast majority of students can have free tuition: https://www.wsj.com/us-news/education/j ... s-4f03edef

Genuinely transformational for the med school but probably not a big impact on lacrosse. Still, buried in the official press release was this:
In addition to investing in future generations of doctors, this $1 billion endowment from Bloomberg Philanthropies will support leaders in other critical health-related fields through increased graduate financial aid in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and School of Nursing, and it will expand aid for graduate degrees offered by the Johns Hopkins schools of Education, Engineering, Business, Arts and Sciences, and Advanced International Studies; the Peabody Institute; and the newly announced School of Government and Policy. The gift also will support the development of a new program to draw impact-focused interdisciplinary leaders into the worlds of research, industry, and government through innovations in PhD education and training.
More finaid for the business school and other grad programs
HF16 is right, although Bloomberg hires a lot of hopkins kids. I don't know what he's done for athletics but seeing this picture of him with the team this spring
https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/p/ ... mg_index=1
Then there's this
https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/sports ... he-orioles
And this
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/402 ... up-reports

He's certainly had the athletics bug lately. I don't ever remember seeing him get involved in athletics before aside from maybe New York trying to get the olympics or a member of his family doing equestrian.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”