D2 Mens Lacrosse
D2LaxMan44!

Re: Coaching Carousal

Post by D2LaxMan44! »

StuckinD2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:49 am
sguy9 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:20 pm
American International (MA)
Chowan (NC)
Coker (SC) - Austin Ambrose (Coker interim HC)
Dominican (NY)
Lees-McRae (NC)
Point Park (PA) - Transitioning to D2 from NAIA
St. Anselm (NH)
St. Thomas Aquinas (NY)
Tusculum (TN) - Mike Brisbin (Tusculum interim HC)
Of all these jobs St A's seems to be the most high profile. Final 4 appearance this season, quality facilities and support. Who do they attract?
I think Saint A’s is the best opportunity available. Another strong recruiting class and transfer class prior to coaches departure.. Saint A’s is a strong academic school so it has the ability to pull a lot of the NE area. Great facilities. I think the jobs going to draw a lot of attention.. But once people see what the support actually looks like and what Scimmana was able to do with almost nothing it probably won’t draw the high profile coaches some might assume. The job does not pay well.. small assistant coach stipend and I’ve been told is under the NE10 avg in scholarship funding. Someone may be okay to take a pay cut to get a HC opportunity.. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see some NE10 shuffle of mid tier programs coaches going for it.

STAC has had some really good HCs on campus but the school is not looking to support the program with a FT position so it’s really limited their pool. I think there’s a really strong and experienced D3 HC from the area that would do a great job in a part time capacity. If that happens watch out ECC

I’ve heard Lees-McRae has had three candidates on campus.. all three have HC experience 2 D2 one D3. The president and VPs are tired of an under performing program and are looking to support and grow the program. I’ve heard from a couple d2 coaches that they’re moving quickly to get someone in place.
I agree I think Saint As is by far the best D2 job out there. The program is sitting at an all time high with a pretty solid amount of guys returning from last years final 4 team. Did you say they have a strong transfer class coming in? We’ll see how the recruits are once they get there but seems like Sciamanna was solid at getting talented players. Given they still come and don’t opt to go elsewhere.

In regards to the situation, Saint As is a great academic school, has beautiful facilities, and athletics are supported. That being said what D2 lacrosse head coaching job actually pays well? If it does, odds are it’s because they are also an assistant athletic director of something else not just full time coach. Most coaches aren’t there for the paycheck, if so we wouldn’t have many coaches.

Hopefully Saint As can get a new coach that has college head coaching experience who can build upon what Mike had build there for the past 9 years. Hats off to him getting the Merrimack job, well deserved I’d say.
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Did they post the job yet for Saint Anselm yet?
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

Any chance that Mike Morgan would get a shot at this job?
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Chowan (NC) - P.R. Simshauser (Chowan AC)
Dominican (NY)
Lees-McRae (NC)
St. Anselm (NH)
St. Thomas Aquinas (NY)
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

MajorMacLax18 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:44 am American International (MA)
Dominican (NY)
Lees-McRae (NC)
St. Anselm (NH)
St. Thomas Aquinas (NY)
There is hope for Chowan going forward if this is true.
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:23 pm
MajorMacLax18 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:44 am American International (MA)
Dominican (NY)
Lees-McRae (NC)
St. Anselm (NH)
St. Thomas Aquinas (NY)
There is hope for Chowan going forward if this is true.
https://gocuhawks.com/sports/mens-lacro ... auser/1922
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

A lot of talk this weekend that Lees-McRae has their guy..rumored to be a big name hire if true!
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

StuckinD2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:52 pm A lot of talk this weekend that Lees-McRae has their guy..rumored to be a big name hire if true!
Moving fast

Nice job by them!
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

Please refrain from ever using the terms “big time” and Lees McRae in the same sentence. Maybe pump the brakes a bit and if it’s announced Richie Meade or Dave Cottle is taking the job THEN say it’s a “big time” hire.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

FaceDodge wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:42 am Please refrain from ever using the terms “big time” and Lees McRae in the same sentence. Maybe pump the brakes a bit and if it’s announced Richie Meade or Dave Cottle is taking the job THEN say it’s a “big time” hire.
What about Junior?
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

StuckinD2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:20 am
FaceDodge wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:42 am Please refrain from ever using the terms “big time” and Lees McRae in the same sentence. Maybe pump the brakes a bit and if it’s announced Richie Meade or Dave Cottle is taking the job THEN say it’s a “big time” hire.
What about Junior?
https://lmcbobcats.com/news/2024/6/25/l ... ogram.aspx
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

StuckinD2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:52 pm
StuckinD2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:20 am
What about Junior?
https://lmcbobcats.com/news/2024/6/25/l ... ogram.aspx
HOLY CRAP... JOHN GRANT JR.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Please refrain from ever using the terms “big time” and Lees McRae in the same sentence. Maybe pump the brakes a bit and if it’s announced Richie Meade or Dave Cottle is taking the job THEN say it’s a “big time” hire.
This is pretty big time, congratulations. Now, will they support in "other" ways to help junior build a program? Time will tell.
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

Well, my last post didn’t exactly age well.

Assuming they actually give him scholarship $ to work with, this isn’t just a home run hire… it’s a grand slam.
PAdad102

Post by PAdad102 »

FaceDodge wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:19 pm Well, my last post didn’t exactly age well.

Assuming they actually give him scholarship $ to work with, this isn’t just a home run hire… it’s a grand slam.
Do you think he actually knows what he's walking into at Lees McRae?
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Dominican (NY)
Lees-McRae (NC) - John Grant Jr.
St. Anselm (NH)
St. Thomas Aquinas (NY)
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

PAdad102 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:25 pm
FaceDodge wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:19 pm Well, my last post didn’t exactly age well.

Do you think he actually knows what he's walking into at Lees McRae?
Probably not...

But Conference Carolina has gotten a lot weaker with a downhill BAC/Mount Olive and Limestone moving to the SAC.

Every Canadian will want to play for him. I think he can build it up and compete in the next 3-4 years.
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:51 pm
Probably not...

But Conference Carolina has gotten a lot weaker with a downhill BAC/Mount Olive and Limestone moving to the SAC.

Every Canadian will want to play for him. I think he can build it up and compete in the next 3-4 years.
Does he stay for 3-4 years though?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

MajorMacLax18 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:18 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:51 pm
Probably not...

Does he stay for 3-4 years though?
LOL. You're probably right
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

That place has been a revolving door of mediocrity for decades. Probably no fault (or limited fault) of the coaches they've had. They've historically lacked the scholarships, facilities and staffing commitment that their in conference and in region opponents have. Unless the institution had a change in leadership and the new president wants to build a competitive lacrosse program or they had a pot of gold land in their lap, then John Grant Jr. has a beyond uphill climb. If they expect him to pull a rabbit out of a hat, they better at least give him the damn hat to work with.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”