The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: 2024

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:57 am WIll this be an issue in the outcome of the 2024 election, and should it concern us all? Seems to tie in to the question elsewhere on these boards about how many illegal/undocumented have arrived and where they are, currently.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/14/us-news/h ... o-stop-it/
Depends on whether or not the Republican loses, and you know it.

Reality doesn't matter anymore. Keep trying to tell you and the other R's here.....you guys let these idiots into your tent, and you will NEVER get them out.

And if Trump loses? The nutjobs will get more and more extreme....and the new Trumps in America at all levels of government will take advantage of their stupidity.

You STILL think that Trumpism will go away. I don't get what needs to happen for you to wake up.

Have you noticed your team is back taking lessons from Hungarian fascists? Learning how to dismantle the Civil Service and Federal workers that have kept our nation running since, well, you know....?

You and your fellow Republican voters are allowing these shenanigans because you think that you're gonna get "conservative outcomes" from Trump. It has never once occurred to you that you're going to get a whole mess of outcomes that you don't like. Reminder: Trump ain't a conservative. And he's learned from the last go around that he didn't have enough toadies in place to do his bidding, and do it quickly.

May not be the end of the world, sure.....but I can easily see him putting the nail into the working class and poor, and a whooooole mess of other negative long term consequence when it comes to the boring-as-hell day to day operations of our great Nation.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:57 am WIll this be an issue in the outcome of the 2024 election, and should it concern us all? Seems to tie in to the question elsewhere on these boards about how many illegal/undocumented have arrived and where they are, currently.

Reality doesn't matter anymore. Keep trying to tell you and the other R's here.....you guys let these idiots into your tent, and you will NEVER get them out.

And if Trump loses? The nutjobs will get more and more extreme....and the new Trumps in America at all levels of government will take advantage of their stupidity.

You STILL think that Trumpism will go away. I don't get what needs to happen for you to wake up.

Have you noticed your team is back taking lessons from Hungarian fascists? Learning how to dismantle the Civil Service and Federal workers that have kept our nation running since, well, you know....?

You and your fellow Republican voters are allowing these shenanigans because you think that you're gonna get "conservative outcomes" from Trump. It has never once occurred to you that you're going to get a whole mess of outcomes that you don't like. Reminder: Trump ain't a conservative. And he's learned from the last go around that he didn't have enough toadies in place to do his bidding, and do it quickly.

May not be the end of the world, sure.....but I can easily see him putting the nail into the working class and poor, and a whooooole mess of other negative long term consequence when it comes to the boring-as-hell day to day operations of our great Nation.
Enough with the partisan stuff. Who cares which side wins or loses….the question is about voting concerns and validity of ballot accounting.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:43 pm

Enough with the partisan stuff. Who cares which side wins or loses….the question is about voting concerns and validity of ballot accounting.
I'm not handing you partisan stuff, my man. I'm telling you what's coming, and giving you an honest answer.

Feel free to ignore, but we both know what's coming from your team if Trump loses. And I'm telling you that RepublicanTeamTinFoil has rendered real, actual, honest election security 100% irrelevant.

And I'm telling you this because this game is 1,000 times more dangerous than real problems with election security. The adults have been, and will continue to work on election security in each voting district in America. Same as it ever was. Don't believe me? Go visit yours, and ask questions.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:48 pm

I'm not handing you partisan stuff, my man. I'm telling you what's coming, and giving you an honest answer.

Feel free to ignore, but we both know what's coming from your team if Trump loses. And I'm telling you that RepublicanTeamTinFoil has rendered real, actual, honest election security 100% irrelevant.

And I'm telling you this because this game is 1,000 times more dangerous than real problems with election security. The adults have been, and will continue to work on election security in each voting district in America. Same as it ever was. Don't believe me? Go visit yours, and ask questions.
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-ne ... oter-fraud

Getting more people to vote should be the priority, but it isn’t.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:52 pm

It's why you get clickbait fake media running stories like "hey, you know illegal immigrants can fill out voter registration forms".

Where the clickbait story "forgets" to point out that a golden retriever can "fill out a voter registration form"....but that has NOTHING to do with voting, and having a vote count.

Or my personal favorite "FoxNews found dead people on voter registration rolls".....where you wait for the Americans who think this is a problem to stop being so freaking stupid, and realize that gee whiz golly, we all die.

Wow! What a story! At some point, every registered voter in the history of America has (gasp!) (horrors!) died....meaning we will ALWAYS have dead voters registered to vote??! Say it ain't so!!! In other "thinking is hard" news: 1+1=2.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:19 pm

It's why you get clickbait fake media running stories like "hey, you know illegal immigrants can fill out voter registration forms".

Where the clickbait story "forgets" to point out that a golden retriever can "fill out a voter registration form"....but that has NOTHING to do with voting, and having a vote count.

Or my personal favorite "FoxNews found dead people on voter registration rolls".....where you wait for the Americans who think this is a problem to stop being so freaking stupid, and realize that gee whiz golly, we all die.

Wow! What a story! At some point, every registered voter in the history of America has (gasp!) (horrors!) died....meaning we will ALWAYS have dead voters registered to vote??! Say it ain't so!!! In other "thinking is hard" news: 1+1=2.
Unless those deceased voters find a way to come back from the dead to vote. Alot of them managed to do so in Chicago when they voted for JFK. ;) Never say never...
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:19 pm "FoxNews found dead people on voter registration rolls".....where you wait for the Americans who think this is a problem to stop being so freaking stupid, and realize that gee whiz golly, we all die.

Wow! What a story! At some point, every registered voter in the history of America has (gasp!) (horrors!) died....meaning we will ALWAYS have dead voters registered to vote??! Say it ain't so!!!
A modern day Chichikov would clean up during this time.
a fan

Post by a fan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:05 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:19 pm "FoxNews found dead people on voter registration rolls".....where you wait for the Americans who think this is a problem to stop being so freaking stupid, and realize that gee whiz golly, we all die.

Wow! What a story! At some point, every registered voter in the history of America has (gasp!) (horrors!) died....meaning we will ALWAYS have dead voters registered to vote??! Say it ain't so!!!
This is like the third time this month someone has mentioned Dead Souls to me.....must be something in the water. You win the forum for pulling that name out, my man!

And by "clean up"....you mean add entire cities of voters? :lol:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

“ Unless those deceased voters find a way to come back from the dead to vote. Alot of them managed to do so in Chicago when they voted for JFK. ;) Never say never...”

Time stands still? 1960? More than 60 years ago. Why not go back to 1800? A lot has changed since 1960.
OuttaNowhereWregget

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:09 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:05 pm

This is like the third time this month someone has mentioned Dead Souls to me.....must be something in the water. You win the forum for pulling that name out, my man!

And by "clean up"....you mean add entire cities of voters? :lol:
Haha. That character always stayed with me after reading the novel in a book club some 25 years ago. More so because I was the one who chose Dead Souls for our next book to read. Yeah--I mentioned Chichikov because your explanation of the topic was so succinct and clear to understand that it made me immediately think of that aspect of Gogol's novel--someone trying to take advantage of names of dead people for personal gain.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:18 pm “ Unless those deceased voters find a way to come back from the dead to vote. Alot of them managed to do so in Chicago when they voted for JFK. ;) Never say never...”

Time stands still? 1960? More than 60 years ago. Why not go back to 1800? A lot has changed since 1960.
And the more things change the more they stay the same.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Trump says Joan Rivers voted for him in 2016.

She died in 2014.

FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

YA is so blind on the MAGA kool aid.

He does not realize this is 100% partisan gaslight bull shirt.

Voting is fine. Everyone knows it. Everyone knows there was no outcome altering fraud in 2020.

But YA and his fascist cronies keep lying about how the elections are all rigged and messed.

Hard to believe anyone who could fog a mirror would throw in with and believe people like Rudy, Kraken, Pillow Guy and Orange Jesus.

I guess a symptom of brain washing is that you don’t realize you’ve been brainwashed.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:34 pm Enough with the partisan stuff. Who cares which side wins or loses….the question is about voting concerns and validity of ballot accounting.

YA is so blind on the MAGA kool aid.

He does not realize this is 100% partisan gaslight bull shirt.

Voting is fine. Everyone knows it. Everyone knows there was no outcome altering fraud in 2020.

But YA and his fascist cronies keep lying about how the elections are all rigged and messed.

Hard to believe anyone who could fog a mirror would throw in with and believe people like Rudy, Kraken, Pillow Guy and Orange Jesus.

I guess a symptom of brain washing is that you don’t realize you’ve been brainwashed.
All roads lead to Obama’s desk.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

The First Debate

The muting of the mics will benefit Trump more than Biden. My thinking is Trump won't be able to interrupt Biden if Joe loses his way in what he intends to say. He'll be left alone to stumble over or mix up or forget his words. Of course, Trump doesn't need any help to step in it all by himself when his mic is on. The 9pm broadcast is too late for me as I'm up with the birds, but it could end up being quite a spectacle.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The number of people becoming increasingly dissalusioned with BOTH political parties is a big reason why people are not coming out to vote. IMO they have enough of the same old same old same old. An infusion of fresh blood is desperately needed. Joe and trump don't exactly fit that bill. Hell, one of them isn't a politician by trade.
OuttaNowhereWregget

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:59 am The number of people becoming increasingly dissalusioned with BOTH political parties is a big reason why people are not coming out to vote. IMO they have enough of the same old same old same old. An infusion of fresh blood is desperately needed. Joe and trump don't exactly fit that bill. Hell, one of them isn't a politician by trade.
Just a thought but I imagine this go around a good percentage of (granted--disillusioned) voters will head to the polls to vote so the other guy doesn't get in, not so much because folks are brimming with confidence and admiration for the candidate they're pulling the lever for. (Got my hand raised on that one.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: The First Debate

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:58 am The muting of the mics will benefit Trump more than Biden. My thinking is Trump won't be able to interrupt Biden if Joe loses his way in what he intends to say. He'll be left alone to stumble over or mix up or forget his words. Of course, Trump doesn't need any help to step in it all by himself when his mic is on. The 9pm broadcast is too late for me as I'm up with the birds, but it could end up being quite a spectacle.
Not-so-great expectations: For first presidential debate, Trump sets a very low bar for Biden
By Jim Puzzanghera Globe Staff, June 24, 2024

WASHINGTON — When Donald Trump agreed to President Biden’s proposal for two debates — the first coming on Thursday night — he immediately began to predict how his rival would perform. And while candidates often try to set high expectations for their opponents, to make it tough to exceed them, Trump went low.

Extremely low.

“Crooked Joe Biden is the WORST debater I have ever faced,” Trump wrote on Truth Social on May 15 in accepting the debate plan. “He can’t put two sentences together!”

Trump and his allies have continued to hammer away at Biden’s mental acuity, including circulating misleading video clips purporting to show the president wandering aimlessly at a gathering of world leaders and having to be led around at recent events. The strategy builds off months of Republican mockery designed to amplify voter concerns in polls that Biden, 81, the oldest president ever, isn’t as capable of serving another term as Trump, who is just three years younger.

But the tactic carries a major risk. Setting the bar so low for Biden means he could clear it simply by finding his way on and off the CNN debate stage and answering questions coherently.

“It’s kind of a gamble,” acknowledged Senator Bill Cassidy, a Louisiana Republican. “If he has a good day, then he’ll exceed expectations. If he has a bad day, then I think it will accentuate the concern.”

Presidential debates often are as much about expectations as they are about performance, said Aaron Kall, an expert on presidential debates at the University of Michigan. That’s why candidates often try to raise expectations for their opponents.

In 2004, a top adviser to President George W. Bush praised his Democratic challenger, Massachusetts Senator John Kerry, as “the best debater since Cicero.” The head of the Democratic National Committee returned the favor by calling Bush a “great debater” who had never lost one.

And before the 2016 debates, Democrat Hillary Clinton’s spokesperson said on Twitter that “Trump’s showmanship, as [an] ex-TV star, makes him a formidable debate foe.” In turn, Trump adviser Jason Miller highlighted Clinton’s experience and extensive preparations, saying she “has more debates under her belt than almost any presidential candidate in history.”

This year — a tight 2020 rematch brimming with bad blood — has been the reverse.

Biden recently called Trump “a little bit unhinged,” which could backfire if Trump is more restrained than when he repeatedly heckled and interrupted Biden in their chaotic first 2020 debate. In response to that, the microphones will be muted at the 2024 debates when it’s not a candidate’s speaking time.

But Trump has been the one relentlessly pounding down expectations for his opponent this time, declaring he was ready to debate Biden “any time, any place” and couldn’t “wait to wipe the floor with him.”

“The bar’s been lowered tremendously by Trump, his campaign, his surrogates, and that’s tremendously beneficial for Biden,” said Kall, editor and coauthor of the 2016 book “Debating the Donald.”

Republicans set similar low expectations for Biden in his State of the Union address this year, and he exceeded them.

The speech followed a special counsel report that declined to recommend charges for his mishandling of classified documents and referred to Biden as an “elderly man with a poor memory.” But after a feisty and well-received performance, an ABC News/Ipsos poll found 29 percent of respondents said Biden did better than expected compared with 24 percent who said he matched their expectations and 12 percent who said he fell short.

“We saw him come out swinging at the State of the Union address,” said Senator Chris Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat. “I think he will be successful [at the debate] because people have traditionally, even decades ago, underestimated Joe Biden.”

Trump frequently derides Biden’s mental state, including pretending at rallies to be Biden unable to find his way off the stage.

“He’s no good with a teleprompter. He’s the worst I’ve seen. But could you imagine if the teleprompters went off?” Trump said in Las Vegas on June 9. “Here’s Biden: ‘Ohh. Ohh.’ He wouldn’t even say anything because he’s incapable.”

Six days later in Detroit, Trump claimed Biden was confused when watching skydivers at this month’s meeting of Group of Seven world leaders in Italy. “He had no idea where the hell he was,” Trump said. ”He’s watching a parachute land and he turns around to look at trees.”

In fact, Biden had turned to watch other landing skydivers. But the Republican National Committee posted a video clip that did not show the other skydivers and some conservative media jumped on the story as well.

Trump and Republicans also have pointed to a video clip circulated on social media to assert that Biden froze at the end of a June 15 Hollywood fund-raiser and had to be led off the stage by former president Obama.

“He looked like Jack Nicholson at the end of ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,’ ” Senator John Kennedy, a Louisiana Republican, told reporters last week, referring to a character in the 1975 movie who undergoes a lobotomy.

The White House said Biden paused to take in the applause from the crowd and called the video another example of Republicans trying to deceive the public. “They are cheap fake videos,” said White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre. “They are done in bad faith.”

Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung denied the videos were manipulated or misleading

“We post these videos unedited for the entire world to see, and they make their own judgement — which overwhelmingly is that Joe Biden is weak, incompetent, and a failure,” he said in a written statement to the Globe.

He accused the Biden campaign of being the one using misleading video for an ad featuring Trump saying there would be a “bloodbath” if he doesn’t win. Cheung said the clip cut off the context that Trump was talking about the auto industry and the economy, although Trump appeared to go beyond that in his comments.

Brett O’Donnell, a Republican strategist and veteran debate coach, said Trump was taking a risk with his strategy.

“I worry that trying to just focus on the president’s age and his ability to perform could potentially be lowering the bar too much for Joe Biden,” O’Donnell said. A Fox News poll released Wednesday found 50 percent of respondents thought Trump would win the debate and 45 percent thought Biden would prevail. Those are similar to poll numbers ahead of the first 2020 debate, when Trump also tried much less aggressively to lower expectations for Biden.

A Biden campaign spokesperson would not comment on the debate expectations.

Senator Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican and Trump ally, said he recently told the former president to just focus on making his case to the American people.

“I think no matter what they say or do, the bar is going to be pretty low. I mean, he makes it through the debate he’ll be declared the winner and I told President Trump, ‘Don’t worry about that,’ ” Graham said. “People will make up their own mind about his physical abilities and his mental abilities.”

Trump recently tried changing tactics and seemed to boost debate expectations a bit for Biden. Trump called Biden “a worthy debater” and said he didn’t want to “underestimate him” in a podcast released on Thursday. Two days earlier, Trump repeated his frequent contention that Biden would take cocaine or other drugs to enhance his performance.

But the overwhelming message from Trump has been that Biden will be a disaster on the debate stage. And those low expectations will be more “fuel for the fire” for Biden, said Bill Russo, who was deputy communications director for Biden’s 2020 campaign.

“I’m sure he’s seen all the Trump stuff about him being senile and he can’t string a sentence together and all of that,” Russo said. “As they say, living well is the best revenge. And I’m sure doing well [in the debate] is the best revenge for him.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/06/24/ ... ntentQuery
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:59 am

The number of people becoming increasingly dissalusioned with BOTH political parties is a big reason why people are not coming out to vote. IMO they have enough of the same old same old same old. An infusion of fresh blood is desperately needed. Joe and trump don't exactly fit that bill. Hell, one of them isn't a politician by trade.
Haven't both the last two Presidential elections broken records for votes cast?
2016 was close to 2008 and 2012 numbers, but 2020 was a big increase in total turnout.
https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statist ... tions/2020

Maybe you mean "some" "people are not coming out to vote"? Always the case that there are people disillusioned by politics.

I quite agree re fresh blood. One might argue that Obama was the reason for a sizable turnout increase in 2008 over 2004.
But "fresh blood" just ain't happening in 2024.

More important to actual democracy, though, is that, except for the very narrow loss of popular vote by Bush in 2000, we have pretty nearly always have had the popular vote winner be the elected President. Indeed, we looked at the margin of the win to see what kind of "mandate" the voters were indicating.

That changed in 2016 by an important margin the other way, with Trump winning over Clinton despite solidly losing the popular vote.

The differential needed to be even larger in 2020 for Biden to prevail, as Trump actually expanded his own vote count.
Meaning that a heck of a lot more people came out to vote for both, just many more for Biden.
Mandate level vote differential.

But if Trump wins in 2024, it very likely will be again despite a loss of the popular vote.
That'll mean that, like 2016, a minority of Americans will have elected the President.
And the hard-core of that minority is VERY aware that their power is not gained by nationwide popular support.
They don't care.

So, we now have one of the parties, which is now owned by that hard-core minority lock stock and barrel, which no longer fairly focuses on seeking political power through the nationwide popularity of their policies. And they have abandoned the fundamental premise of fair dispute of facts and logic, and have instead adopted rhetoric and disinformation, and if necessary violence, as their tools of 'persuasion'. They are in full-on attack mode of all institutions and norms which undergird democracy, most importantly the rule of law not rulers, but also all forms of earned expertise.

Which gets us back to the genesis of the Electoral College process and why it created so much more power for lesser populated (by whites) states, particularly at the time slave-holding states.

There is no doubt to my mind that the intentions of this minority are as despicable as those who insisted on the continuation of slavery and the return of white supremacy power through Jim Crow, both under the rubric of "states rights".
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:11 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:59 am

Haven't both the last two Presidential elections broken records for votes cast?
2016 was close to 2008 and 2012 numbers, but 2020 was a big increase in total turnout.
https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statist ... tions/2020

Maybe you mean "some" "people are not coming out to vote"? Always the case that there are people disillusioned by politics.

I quite agree re fresh blood. One might argue that Obama was the reason for a sizable turnout increase in 2008 over 2004.
But "fresh blood" just ain't happening in 2024.

More important to actual democracy, though, is that, except for the very narrow loss of popular vote by Bush in 2000, we have pretty nearly always have had the popular vote winner be the elected President. Indeed, we looked at the margin of the win to see what kind of "mandate" the voters were indicating.

That changed in 2016 by an important margin the other way, with Trump winning over Clinton despite solidly losing the popular vote.

The differential needed to be even larger in 2020 for Biden to prevail, as Trump actually expanded his own vote count.
Meaning that a heck of a lot more people came out to vote for both, just many more for Biden.
Mandate level vote differential.

But if Trump wins in 2024, it very likely will be again despite a loss of the popular vote.
That'll mean that, like 2016, a minority of Americans will have elected the President.
And the hard-core of that minority is VERY aware that their power is not gained by nationwide popular support.
They don't care.

So, we now have one of the parties, which is now owned by that hard-core minority lock stock and barrel, which no longer fairly focuses on seeking political power through the nationwide popularity of their policies. And they have abandoned the fundamental premise of fair dispute of facts and logic, and have instead adopted rhetoric and disinformation, and if necessary violence, as their tools of 'persuasion'. They are in full-on attack mode of all institutions and norms which undergird democracy, most importantly the rule of law not rulers, but also all forms of earned expertise.

Which gets us back to the genesis of the Electoral College process and why it created so much more power for lesser populated (by whites) states, particularly at the time slave-holding states.

There is no doubt to my mind that the intentions of this minority are as despicable as those who insisted on the continuation of slavery and the return of white supremacy power through Jim Crow, both under the rubric of "states rights".
Your comment in bold piqued my interest. Along with Trump in 2016 and GWB only two other countrywide popular pluralities lost: Tilden to Hayes in 1876 and Cleveland to Harrison in 1888. I was surprised that Hayes' "win" was with 3% less of the popular vote than Tilden while Trump took 2.09% less than Hillary. (Source - United States Election Project.)

Also interesting to note from that same source was the 2020 voter turnout was the highest since 1900 when McKinley beat Bryan. Lots of folk didn't want Trump. Hopefully that's still the case. ABT.

Return to “POLITICS”