Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:27 am Nice...and you can still get thrown in jail for pot down there.
Possession of marijuana under Florida law is still a crime for those without a card. Anyone with 20 grams or less of weed faces up to a year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines.
What a nice door opener for the authorities, "I smell marijuana."
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... 874976007/
Looks as if they might be allowed to have 3 oz in the future.
Meanwhile you can have 16 cases of Wild Turkey. Yeah, that makes a whole lotta sense.
Gotta keep the carceral state solvent.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The next unanswered question is that isn't every country on the planet inherently racist? Anybody out there in forum land know of a country that isn't?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:51 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:34 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:15 am
DMac wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:48 am I think it's wrong to bleep out Reggie's words in the video clip, not quite the same
effect as when you're hearing him say it...dummies the reality down a bit, IMO.
Yeah. YouTube has a swearing/ vulgar content policy for videos available to kids, so it may be that. There are some unedited versions floating around.
Credit Fox for not bleeping out the conversation on network television.

This link has the unedited clip
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/557993 ... mments-tv/

It's actually pretty stunning how bad it was back then.
In school districts across the country, legislation is being passed so that topics like this can’t be discussed in school. It is too divisive and teaches kids how to hate…. CRT indoctrination as it were. Reggie seems like he hates people?
When you hear what he had to go through I can't imagine the denseness of people who would still think the idea of removing confederate statues placed in locations of prominence to intimidate wasn't a terrific outcome. Same goes for removal of confederate names from schools and other government locations. And his was a story told by someone seen as having talents. Imagine what the bus driver, or highway laborer, or maid, went through. And in some places still goes through.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Good for Reggie. He got his point across. Good history lesson. He earned the right to say what he said.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:01 pm Good for Reggie. He got his point across. Good history lesson. He earned the right to say what he said.
“Earned” is an odd choice of words.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:05 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:01 pm Good for Reggie. He got his point across. Good history lesson. He earned the right to say what he said.
Only if you've got rabbit ears.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:05 pm
Only if you've got rabbit ears.
Only if you know the definition of earned. Odd choice of words.
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget

Is America a Jew-hating nation?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Los Angeles, you have failed us Jews
JUN 24, 2024

Statement by United Jewish Coalition Featured on CBS News

The Jews of Los Angeles are no longer safe. The events of June 23rd brought to life the darkest nightmare many of us hoped we would never witness on American soil.

Los Angeles, once a city of dreams, now harbors domestic terrorists. The FBI defines domestic terrorism as “violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.” The chaos that erupted near a synagogue in Los Angeles on June 23rd is a terrifying testament to this definition.

Over 150 pro-Hamas protesters clashed with brave Jewish citizens near a synagogue, turning a peaceful neighborhood into a battleground. The protesters blocked entrances, engaged in physical altercations, and resorted to using bear spray and throwing objects. The scene was chaotic, with several people wounded and numerous law enforcement officers in riot gear trying to control the situation. Multiple arrests were made by the LAPD as tensions continued to escalate.

The seeds of this chaos were sown years ago with the rise of the defund the police movement in Los Angeles. In a city already struggling with crime, reducing police presence seemed like a recipe for disaster. Then came District Attorney George Gascon, whose policies allowed even the most heinous criminals to escape justice with what felt like free “get out of jail” cards. Without law and order, the world becomes a dangerous place, and the events of June 23rd are a direct consequence of this erosion of safety and justice.

Adding to the outrage, reports indicate that Mayor Karen Bass instructed deputies to stand down and not intervene. This inaction is tantamount to endorsing the violence, giving the perpetrators a free pass to spread their hate. There must be a clear distinction between freedom of speech and acts of hate and violence. Failing to enforce this distinction will only lead to more chaos and suffering for the citizens of Los Angeles.

However, the Jewish community will not be cowed. As evidenced by the response from UCLA, the Jews of today will not back down when attacked. They will defend themselves and fight back. If Mayor Bass does not want anarchy in her backyard, the local government must adopt a stricter stance against these criminals and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. The current leniency in laws and penalties is unacceptable. There must be harsher consequences for those who commit crimes against the Jewish community.

Los Angeles, it’s time to take a stand. Protect your citizens. Restore law and order. The safety of your people depends on it.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR Shervin Eli Natan is the co-founder and President of the United Jewish Coalition, a nonpartisan committee uniting Jewish organizations worldwide to support Israel, combat antisemitism, and collaborate on collective actions.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/los-ang ... TQuMC4wLjA.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:40 am Some people are willfully stupid.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/24/politics ... index.html
The inability for Trump and others to discern the difference between patriots who fought for our country and traitors who fought in an attempt to destroy it by associating slave ownership with both is mind boggling.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:42 pm

The inability for Trump and others to discern the difference between patriots who fought for our country and traitors who fought in an attempt to destroy it by associating slave ownership with both is mind boggling.
And yet history, including American history, tells us that it's predictable that some people will be, at their core, racist. As an American phenomenon, it gets particularly ugly in waves, but the undercurrent is ever-present and ready to be tapped by the manipulators.

I think it's the willful stupidity among those who have every benefit of educational opportunity that perplexes me, not the racism.

But maybe it's that racism that drives the "willful" part?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

It did my heart good to see these two men at the Mets/Yankees game last night in Queens, NY. Not afraid to wear their yarmulkes and demonstrate their courage in the face of rising hatred and persecution against Jewish people--not only in New York, but the rest of America and the world too. Loved that TNT focused in on this one man in particular, obviously Jewish, for the entire national audience to see.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... it takes courage to attend a Yankees - Mets game. :lol: :lol: :lol: . who knew? :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:51 pm

And yet history, including American history, tells us that it's predictable that some people will be, at their core, racist. As an American phenomenon, it gets particularly ugly in waves, but the undercurrent is ever-present and ready to be tapped by the manipulators.

I think it's the willful stupidity among those who have every benefit of educational opportunity that perplexes me, not the racism.

Interesting thing about racism. It knows no boundaries or cultures or skin color. People have been hating other people for thousands of years. All of the PC on the planet will never change that reality. No one has as of yet discovered that magic formula that allows everyone to get along and live in peace.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:12 am

Interesting thing about racism. It knows no boundaries or cultures or skin color. People have been hating other people for thousands of years. All of the PC on the planet will never change that reality. No one has as of yet discovered that magic formula that allows everyone to get along and live in peace.
Fear and resentment of the Other is definitely a natural phenomenon, primarily because we are highly social animals with evolutionary rewards for social cohesion instincts. Big part of that is lizard-like defining of threats.

But that's NOT unaddressable with redefinition of social constructs that are more inclusive, creating positive value of wider associations.

But hard.

On the other hand, really easy for manipulators to tap that lizard brain.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:07 pm It did my heart good to see these two men at the Mets/Yankees game last night in Queens, NY. Not afraid to wear their yarmulkes and demonstrate their courage in the face of rising hatred and persecution against Jewish people--not only in New York, but the rest of America and the world too. Loved that TNT focused in on this one man in particular, obviously Jewish, for the entire national audience to see.

In what America world is it unusual to see Orthodox Jews wearing?

All of my Orthodox friends here in Baltimore area do so all of the time, including any business or social events.
That's New York...tons of such folks.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:38 am

Fear and resentment of the Other is definitely a natural phenomenon, primarily because we are highly social animals with evolutionary rewards for social cohesion instincts. Big part of that is lizard-like defining of threats.

But that's NOT unaddressable with redefinition of social constructs that are more inclusive, creating positive value of wider associations.

But hard.

aren't you the guy house shopping ? How "inclusive" are those gated housing developments ?

Does the "wider associations" include the NON college educated gentlemen that you met ? They made some coin so they can reside in the "whites only" golfing communities of idiotic Florida, but, somehow, your "elite" status, in your mind, made, or makes, you feel superior to them ?

Your last sentence, is that languarge that people who earnestly want to "discuss" topics, uses?

stay UN principled.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:48 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:38 am

But hard.

aren't you the guy house shopping ? How "inclusive" are those gated housing developments ?

Does the "wider associations" include the NON college educated gentlemen that you met ? They made some coin so they can reside in the "whites only" golfing communities of idiotic Florida, but, somehow, your "elite" status, in your mind, made, or makes, you feel superior to them ?

Your last sentence, is that languarge that people who earnestly want to "discuss" topics, uses?

stay UN principled.
That's a personal attack, RRR.

Do you only experience the people who live in your own house, your next door neighbor, those on your block? Or do you get beyond?

Yes, that's indeed a problem as people do congregate in ways that can exclude others; so it takes effort to get a wider exposure.

It's why I said it's "hard" to do. Just not impossible.

And, yeah, but not all-white...but definitely not very diverse racially or ethnically or religiously. Not "excluding" per se, but some de facto happens. It's where my mom is, so we'll go there to look after her.

But you are 100% correct that it takes effort to get beyond whatever grouping we are born into. Not terribly hard to get involved with a wider community, but one does require some get up and go and a little 'risk' of being uncomfortable.

Not sure why you are projecting on me a sense of superiority. I greatly admire those who achieve a successful life despite various initial and along the way frictions and adversity. And I don't define 'success' solely monetarily.

As to the last sentence, whether left or right, there are indeed "manipulators" who exploit our evolutionary psychology, our "lizard brain", to their own benefit, not ours. I stand by that.
LaxFan2311

Post by LaxFan2311 »

You support Joe Biden. Pot meet Kettle.

Joe Biden is a huge racist. He’s made numerous statements about black people using the N word and degrading them.

Return to “POLITICS”