Transfer Portal 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Late Slide

Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by Late Slide »

That 12.6 limit is extremely arbitrary now. With NIL, you can get money to prospective players to cover what the scholarship otherwise would. This is already happening.
[/quote]

And isn't true that many/most schools don't fully fund the allowable 12.6?

Post by 1766 »

Late Slide wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:16 pm That 12.6 limit is extremely arbitrary now. With NIL, you can get money to prospective players to cover what the scholarship otherwise would. This is already happening.
[/quote]

Certainly some don't but all of the Big Ten/Acc schools do, and a number of others surely must. Loyola, Denver, Georgetown to name a few. I think conferences like the A10 and the Big East is where you start to see some real differences in funding.

As it relates to the amounts of schools using NIL in lieu of scholarships, I think that varies from school to school, but it's out there. I won't say the school but they are believed to have roughly 23 scholarship players when when you consider the 12.6 allotment and NIL money to cover tuition/room/board.

They only way this is going to change is roster sizes being restricted to a certain number, but that is likely to get challenged at some point. It's all arbitrary.

The SEC/Big Ten are going to breakaway (after one more expansion round) and have their own league in the not too distant future. What that means for Olympic sports like lacrosse is anyone's guess but more is going to change than stay the same.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:38 pm
Late Slide wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:16 pm That 12.6 limit is extremely arbitrary now. With NIL, you can get money to prospective players to cover what the scholarship otherwise would. This is already happening.
Certainly some don't but all of the Big Ten/Acc schools do, and a number of others surely must. Loyola, Denver, Georgetown to name a few. I think conferences like the A10 and the Big East is where you start to see some real differences in funding.

As it relates to the amounts of schools using NIL in lieu of scholarships, I think that varies from school to school, but it's out there. I won't say the school but they are believed to have roughly 23 scholarship players when when you consider the 12.6 allotment and NIL money to cover tuition/room/board.

They only way this is going to change is roster sizes being restricted to a certain number, but that is likely to get challenged at some point. It's all arbitrary.

The SEC/Big Ten are going to breakaway (after one more expansion round) and have their own league in the not too distant future. What that means for Olympic sports like lacrosse is anyone's guess but more is going to change than stay the same.
[/quote]
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

I heard assistant coach Ryan Wellner say on a recent podcast that they are able to fund an additional 16 spots (above the 12.6) due to the NIL $’s available at Notre Dame lacrosse. Apologize if I’m misstating his comment, but if true, it’s going to be a long road ahead for the conferences outside the B1G or ACC.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

It definitely will be pretty much impossible to compete for non-BIG10, ACC and Ivy once teams are able to add even 10 more scholarships in payment money (we really need to stop calling it NIL, it never was and thanks to the recent rulings schools are just going to literally be paying the kids to go there, it has nothing to do with NIL). The problem is that the SEC and BIG10, if they break away in football, will likely have 40-50 teams between them. Obviously not the case in lax and you cannot have a top division of 12 or even 18 teams. It just will not work and, to the extent anyone cares, would reduce interest, not increase it. Not sure how this plays out but, while rosters have been crazy in the 50s, 60s and even 70s, and while you do need depth, lax isn’t football. If you can buy 25 players for your roster, that is a massive advantage over those with 12.6, it’s pretty much everyone seeing the field in a tough game.

Post by 1766 »

No question, it's a massive advantage. There is a reason ND could run 3 legit midfields. They aren't the only ones doing this. A number of other teams are as well. They are just better at it currently.

It's not great for some other programs out there, particularly the one's that aren't fully funded especially, but it's the way of the world as we sit.
Last edited by 1766 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1766 »

DM
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Are the Ivies, with their over -stuffed endowments playing the NIL game? Wonder if Villanova will use this route to augment their 9 or 10 scholarships they have? How much do top ranked recruits like Payton Anderson (Cuse), Kyle Colsey (UVA) or Spencer Ford (MD) get offered? Lacrosse is a non revenue positive sport as far as I know. Few, if any programs are anywhere close to breakeven.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

wait. are you suggesting that colleges can pay players? i thought NIL had to come from sources outside of the college/university.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:31 pm It definitely will be pretty much impossible to compete for non-BIG10, ACC and Ivy once teams are able to add even 10 more scholarships in payment money (we really need to stop calling it NIL, it never was and thanks to the recent rulings schools are just going to literally be paying the kids to go there, it has nothing to do with NIL). The problem is that the SEC and BIG10, if they break away in football, will likely have 40-50 teams between them. Obviously not the case in lax and you cannot have a top division of 12 or even 18 teams. It just will not work and, to the extent anyone cares, would reduce interest, not increase it. Not sure how this plays out but, while rosters have been crazy in the 50s, 60s and even 70s, and while you do need depth, lax isn’t football. If you can buy 25 players for your roster, that is a massive advantage over those with 12.6, it’s pretty much everyone seeing the field in a tough game.
If/when football and basketball do break away from the NCAA, I'd venture to guess that the NCAA will retain oversight of the non-revs plus FCS, D2, and D3 football and basketball. That might actually bring some rationality to the whole mess.

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:00 pm Are the Ivies, with their over -stuffed endowments playing the NIL game? Wonder if Villanova will use this route to augment their 9 or 10 scholarships they have? How much do top ranked recruits like Payton Anderson (Cuse), Kyle Colsey (UVA) or Spencer Ford (MD) get offered? Lacrosse is a non revenue positive sport as far as I know. Few, if any programs are anywhere close to breakeven.
My understanding is the Ivies allow their players in all sports to seek out their own deals but do not allow any formal structures to organize around it (i.e., collectives). If the Ivies did allow that, man...the Ivies would clean up in the non-revs. Hell, they probably would even clean up in football and basketball.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

What I'm looking for is some actual data on how much players are getting. What would someone like Joey Spallina Owen Duffy, or McCabe Millon be pulling in??

Post by 1766 »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:11 pm What I'm looking for is some actual data on how much players are getting. What would someone like Joey Spallina Owen Duffy, or McCabe Millon be pulling in??
There is no actual data. These deals don't need to be reported to the NCAA. Lacrosse being a small sport where a lot of people talk, there is certainly chatter out there. I will leave it to someone else to post what they've heard about specific numbers to what players. I will say a number of schools have an NIL Fund that is approaching mid 6 figures. How that gets allocated and to what players is likely different at every school.

ND is a great school and can recruit with the best of them, but they are hitting the stratosphere because of NIL. They aren't the only one playing the game.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Hound93 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:24 pm I heard assistant coach Ryan Wellner say on a recent podcast that they are able to fund an additional 16 spots (above the 12.6) due to the NIL $’s available at Notre Dame lacrosse. Apologize if I’m misstating his comment, but if true, it’s going to be a long road ahead for the conferences outside the B1G or ACC.

The way I read:
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:53 pm In Quint’s recent podcast with ND assistant coach Wellner he said that btw scholarship and NIL they have about 16 scholarships for their program.
was 16 total, where scholarships meant 12.6 lax scholarships plus 1 for Faison via FBall and NIL for the remaining 2.4. My reaction upon reading that was NIL was immaterial. If he meant 12.4+1+16, then, yes, that is a major advantage that only the Ivies could approach.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Appreciate the clarity, I was wrong. Probably won’t be long until some teams can fund the 12.6 + 10 more. It’s on the rise.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MD’s deal with UA
“The new agreement places Maryland in the top echelon of collegiate apparel agreements, and includes new NIL opportunities for student-athletes.”
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:31 pm It definitely will be pretty much impossible to compete for non-BIG10, ACC and Ivy once teams are able to add even 10 more scholarships in payment money (we really need to stop calling it NIL, it never was and thanks to the recent rulings schools are just going to literally be paying the kids to go there, it has nothing to do with NIL). The problem is that the SEC and BIG10, if they break away in football, will likely have 40-50 teams between them. Obviously not the case in lax and you cannot have a top division of 12 or even 18 teams. It just will not work and, to the extent anyone cares, would reduce interest, not increase it. Not sure how this plays out but, while rosters have been crazy in the 50s, 60s and even 70s, and while you do need depth, lax isn’t football. If you can buy 25 players for your roster, that is a massive advantage over those with 12.6, it’s pretty much everyone seeing the field in a tough game.
Let's just start spotting programs 6- 8 goals if they are resource poor. Something like those capped at 12.6 schollies, no NIL, no indoor facility, no dedicated trainer, no hotel the night before a 6 hour bus ride, etc. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:11 pm What I'm looking for is some actual data on how much players are getting. What would someone like Joey Spallina Owen Duffy, or McCabe Millon be pulling in??
This would be revealing in terms of the resources thrown at a program and the return on investment. Especially when you include total program commitment, capex, etc. From max coaches, to doctors, trainers,, an abundance of food for team events, etc. My guess is that the spreads are massive when vis a vis ACC v. MAAC, ASUN, etc.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:02 pm
Hound93 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:24 pm I heard assistant coach Ryan Wellner say on a recent podcast that they are able to fund an additional 16 spots (above the 12.6) due to the NIL $’s available at Notre Dame lacrosse. Apologize if I’m misstating his comment, but if true, it’s going to be a long road ahead for the conferences outside the B1G or ACC.

The way I read:
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:53 pm In Quint’s recent podcast with ND assistant coach Wellner he said that btw scholarship and NIL they have about 16 scholarships for their program.
was 16 total, where scholarships meant 12.6 lax scholarships plus 1 for Faison via FBall and NIL for the remaining 2.4. My reaction upon reading that was NIL was immaterial. If he meant 12.4+1+16, then, yes, that is a major advantage that only the Ivies could approach.
Even a few extra scholarship equivalents can be a massive advantage if that gets you a couple of Kavanaughs.

Recall that the Syracuse glory years of 1988-1990 were fueled in part by excessive “financial aid.”

If it is 12.6 versus 16 scholarship equivalents, that’s a HUGE advantage. The extra 3.4 scholarship equivalents is probably enough to recruit two superstars or maybe a trio of four-star caliber players.

That could be the difference between a quarterfinal finish and a Final Four.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:38 pm MD’s deal with UA
“The new agreement places Maryland in the top echelon of collegiate apparel agreements, and includes new NIL opportunities for student-athletes.”
UA stock and brand has been on life support the last few years.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:47 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:02 pm

The way I read:
Even a few extra scholarship equivalents can be a massive advantage if that gets you a couple of Kavanaughs.

Recall that the Syracuse glory years of 1988-1990 were fueled in part by excessive “financial aid.”

If it is 12.6 versus 16 scholarship equivalents, that’s a HUGE advantage. The extra 3.4 scholarship equivalents is probably enough to recruit two superstars or maybe a trio of four-star caliber players.

That could be the difference between a quarterfinal finish and a Final Four.

DocBarrister
It would be a shame if “NIL” money tipped the playing field over to the top 2-3 leagues. If a school like ND has the equivalent of 15-16 scholarships the ballgame is over for lacrosse. Lacrosse will wind up with 6-8 supercharged teams and all the rest will be tier 2 or lower. The ludicrous haul of 2025 recruits by ND and UNC, reputed big NIL spenders, is the canary in the coal mine.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”