Transfer Portal 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jldlax

Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by Jldlax »

Jldlax wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:12 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:47 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:02 pm
Hound93 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:24 pm I heard assistant coach Ryan Wellner say on a recent podcast that they are able to fund an additional 16 spots (above the 12.6) due to the NIL $’s available at Notre Dame lacrosse. Apologize if I’m misstating his comment, but if true, it’s going to be a long road ahead for the conferences outside the B1G or ACC.

The way I read:
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:53 pm In Quint’s recent podcast with ND assistant coach Wellner he said that btw scholarship and NIL they have about 16 scholarships for their program.
was 16 total, where scholarships meant 12.6 lax scholarships plus 1 for Faison via FBall and NIL for the remaining 2.4. My reaction upon reading that was NIL was immaterial. If he meant 12.4+1+16, then, yes, that is a major advantage that only the Ivies could approach.
Even a few extra scholarship equivalents can be a massive advantage if that gets you a couple of Kavanaughs.

Recall that the Syracuse glory years of 1988-1990 were fueled in part by excessive “financial aid.”

If it is 12.6 versus 16 scholarship equivalents, that’s a HUGE advantage. The extra 3.4 scholarship equivalents is probably enough to recruit two superstars or maybe a trio of four-star caliber players.

That could be the difference between a quarterfinal finish and a Final Four.

DocBarrister
It would be a shame if “NIL” money tipped the playing field completely to the top 2-3 leagues. If a school like ND has the equivalent of 15-16 scholarships the ballgame is over for lacrosse. Lacrosse will wind up with 6-8 supercharged teams and all the rest will be tier 2 or lower. The ludicrous haul of 2025 recruits by ND and UNC, reputed big NIL spenders, is the canary in the coal mine.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:00 pm Are the Ivies, with their over -stuffed endowments playing the NIL game? Wonder if Villanova will use this route to augment their 9 or 10 scholarships they have? How much do top ranked recruits like Payton Anderson (Cuse), Kyle Colsey (UVA) or Spencer Ford (MD) get offered? Lacrosse is a non revenue positive sport as far as I know. Few, if any programs are anywhere close to breakeven.
Here's the Brown initiative. Seems like a free clearinghouse if student-athletes chose to use it. IANAL.

https://brownbears.com/news/2024/4/24/b ... artnership
coda

Post by coda »

Hound93 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:24 pm I heard assistant coach Ryan Wellner say on a recent podcast that they are able to fund an additional 16 spots (above the 12.6) due to the NIL $’s available at Notre Dame lacrosse. Apologize if I’m misstating his comment, but if true, it’s going to be a long road ahead for the conferences outside the B1G or ACC.

The way I read:
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:53 pm In Quint’s recent podcast with ND assistant coach Wellner he said that btw scholarship and NIL they have about 16 scholarships for their program.
was 16 total, where scholarships meant 12.6 lax scholarships plus 1 for Faison via FBall and NIL for the remaining 2.4. My reaction upon reading that was NIL was immaterial. If he meant 12.4+1+16, then, yes, that is a major advantage that only the Ivies could approach.
Even a few extra scholarship equivalents can be a massive advantage if that gets you a couple of Kavanaughs.

Recall that the Syracuse glory years of 1988-1990 were fueled in part by excessive “financial aid.”

If it is 12.6 versus 16 scholarship equivalents, that’s a HUGE advantage. The extra 3.4 scholarship equivalents is probably enough to recruit two superstars or maybe a trio of four-star caliber players.

DocBarrister
It would be a shame if “NIL” money tipped the playing field over to the top 2-3 leagues. If a school like ND has the equivalent of 15-16 scholarships the ballgame is over for lacrosse. Lacrosse will wind up with 6-8 supercharged teams and all the rest will be tier 2 or lower. The ludicrous haul of 2025 recruits by ND and UNC, reputed big NIL spenders, is the canary in the coal mine.
NIL money has nothing to do with conference. ACC is on death's doorstep. Hopkins is reputedly one of the larger spenders in lacrosse and get get very little pay out from the Big 10.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

The way I read:

DocBarrister
It would be a shame if “NIL” money tipped the playing field over to the top 2-3 leagues. If a school like ND has the equivalent of 15-16 scholarships the ballgame is over for lacrosse. Lacrosse will wind up with 6-8 supercharged teams and all the rest will be tier 2 or lower. The ludicrous haul of 2025 recruits by ND and UNC, reputed big NIL spenders, is the canary in the coal mine.
This sentiment underpinned my earlier remark about an FBS/FCS approach. Basically, accepting the reality of very different levels ,i.e., semi-pro and collegiate.
Last edited by Late Slide on Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

:lol: :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah that’s where homeboy got the effective 23 which which was posted on here application as Notre dame previously but he repackaged w/o the name as if he was running with some inside info. Won’t say who…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:31 pm It definitely will be pretty much impossible to compete for non-BIG10, ACC and Ivy once teams are able to add even 10 more scholarships in payment money (we really need to stop calling it NIL, it never was and thanks to the recent rulings schools are just going to literally be paying the kids to go there, it has nothing to do with NIL). The problem is that the SEC and BIG10, if they break away in football, will likely have 40-50 teams between them. Obviously not the case in lax and you cannot have a top division of 12 or even 18 teams. It just will not work and, to the extent anyone cares, would reduce interest, not increase it. Not sure how this plays out but, while rosters have been crazy in the 50s, 60s and even 70s, and while you do need depth, lax isn’t football. If you can buy 25 players for your roster, that is a massive advantage over those with 12.6, it’s pretty much everyone seeing the field in a tough game.
It’s a bigger problem for the pretend business big money football schools participation in a number of other sports not the other way around. They got football and giving up a bunch of other sports in process long run.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:11 pm What I'm looking for is some actual data on how much players are getting. What would someone like Joey Spallina Owen Duffy, or McCabe Millon be pulling in??
It’s not enough to swaps some degrees for others in practicality.

Like “here’s the ivy collectives” and half the room from a single graduating class raises their hands and go “I AM a collective” de la soul style.

https://youtu.be/jdtKT5q-CW8?si=5HLBKv8IfSsYWeWO

They don’t need to pool small tickets like other schools. They have just a pool “pick the black card from a hat” at the tailgait before the game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:38 pm MD’s deal with UA
“The new agreement places Maryland in the top echelon of collegiate apparel agreements, and includes new NIL opportunities for student-athletes.”
Then UPenn makes two calls to warren buffet and sundar pichaiike ak’s against a drone if it’s only money.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

coda wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:19 am

The way I read:

DocBarrister
NIL money has nothing to do with conference. ACC is on death's doorstep. Hopkins is reputedly one of the larger spenders in lacrosse and get get very little pay out from the Big 10.
I agree that ACC may not be around in its current iteration for long, but these teams will morph into a similar status because they all have football $$. Simiarly, a school with a superrich lax alum can also tip the scales.
coda

Post by coda »

Jldlax wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:36 am
coda wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:19 am

The way I read:

DocBarrister
I agree that ACC may not be around in its current iteration for long, but these teams will morph into a similar status because they all have football $$. Simiarly, a school with a superrich lax alum can also tip the scales.
ND is definitely on solid ground. I would think UVa and UNC are fine. Cuse and Duke may not end up being part of the Big 2. Cuse will always be fine in lax though, they have one of the most fervent fan bases.

Post by 1766 »

ND is going to have to join either the Big Ten or SEC at some point or they aren't going to have access to what will be the new playoff system. They've played their independent hand well but their leverage is going to be gone once the ultimate split happens.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:19 am
Yeah that’s where homeboy got the effective 23 which which was posted on here application as Notre dame previously but he repackaged w/o the name as if he was running with some inside info. Won’t say who…
Actually wasn't talking about ND until someone else brought them up. It was another school. Mr. MBA can't seem to ever get anything right.

I will say Hobart definitely isn't that school.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

1766 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:13 pm
Actually wasn't talking about ND until someone else brought them up. It was another school. Mr. MBA can't seem to ever get anything right.

Nor would we want to be like that school.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

1766 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:13 pm

Still wondering what Farfromgeneva says in each post. It’s like he is speaking in tongues. English is such a sad language to waste. 😂😂😂

Post by 1766 »

No one is smart enough to understand it. He has an MBA.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

First generation voice-to-text?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

1766 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:15 pm No one is smart enough to understand it. He has an MBA.
He uses a mobile phone exclusively to post, that's my guess.

Joe

Post by 1766 »

Hahaha

He's gotta be a Blackberry bro
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Another query from the appreciative peanut gallery:

Service Academies. No inbound Transfers, right?

So with just one bite at the recruiting apple, so to speak, they're at a distinct disadvantage as to hoovering up the late, late bloomers. Therefore, they're at a disadvantage as to building a month-of May juggernaut as well.....more's the pity.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”