Transfer Portal 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
mdk01

Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by mdk01 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:31 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:22 pm Former Brown goalie Connor Theriault will spend his graduate season with @TampaMLax, he tells @Inside_Lacrosse.

The People’s Goalie was a three-year starter for the Bears, stopping 51.5% in 44 games.

https://x.com/terencefoy/status/1802082 ... EO2hFStaxg
Surprised he couldn't find a home in D1. Lot of teams will need goalies.
Ironically, some of those teams are Ivies.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Division II National Player of the Year Dylan Renner, who guided @AdelphiMLax to a national championship, has withdrawn from the transfer portal, per a source.

Renner entertained Division I interest but will return for another year with the Panthers.
https://x.com/mchandik26/status/1802137 ... EO2hFStaxg
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:30 pm
Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:04 pm
Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:42 pm
Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:49 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:30 pm Tills must think the team has a deep run in them for 2025 with the offense he's added in particular. Ward and Hernandez are multi-year players. It's the loading up on graduate transfers that tells you that he thinks those player will potentially get the Terps over the top.
Or he’s desperate and throwing as many darts as possible at a problem area.
Didn’t he just go to Memorial Day with a FO guy & a Close D guy, that’s about all? Doubt he’s desperate lol
Yes, and those two are now gone. I think he got some nice players, but there’s something about grabbing any and every transfer in the portal that seems off to me. It will be a big step up for a lot of these guys.
The two young guys in Ward and Hernandez are different than the graduate transfers. Tills is bringing those grads in to not just steady the ship. The Terps return more than enough to be a Top 10 or better team next year. He's bringing in those graduate transfers for a Memorial Day run. Losing Wierman is a huge loss, but there's a lot of confidence in the program with Shea Keethler to be the main FOGO with Sean Creter developing for the following years. The close defense, even with Zappitello's graduation, is going to be very good next year with Canfield, Burlace, Schaller, and an incoming pole like Laake. Bringing in Goorno shores up the shorty unit. The LSM unit is set. Maybe Hernandez can be the 3rd LSM, but McDonald and Larkin are well above average LSMs.

The offense last year needed 2 things. More dodging but more importantly more shooting. If you look at what Tills specifically brought in, you see very good shooters in Armitage, Keegan, and now Dowd. That will open a lot of space for dodging. Ford adds some pop with his dodging and distribution (replacing Malever). The midfield will run 2 deep again but will have better balance. Next year with these transfers is the bridge to the next cluster of impact recruits on offense for the 2026 season.
I think Maryland will still be a good team next year, I just don’t think this automatically makes them a contender with Notre Dame. All of these new offensive players are coming from teams that played, let’s just say, not the greatest schedules. I’m sure a lot of the players you would say didn’t dodge well enough, or shoot well enough for the Terps last year, would put up pretty good numbers against the teams Stony Brook, Binghamton and Salisbury played last year. Offensively at least, this all feels quite random.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:45 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:08 am
coda wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:59 am
Finster wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:42 am
Late Slide wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:32 pm This is not going to be a popular comment because folks scream all things player rights but I have a lot of dissonance with the transfer at the drop of the hat culture against the play for your team, lean on each other when you’re down by one and the fourth quarter, Fox hole sentiment. Every damn team brings in inspirational speakers to preach loyalty and selling your soul for your brothers. I absolutely understand that kids sometimes “need“ to transfer. But transferring now is wild, and its completely misaligned with the rah rah - high five mentality preached on the side lines.

It reminds me when my son was going through the D1 recruiting process and many coaches would implore my son to respect them and the program and let them know as soon as possible when he was no longer interested in the school all the while the very same coaches would immediately ghost once the recruit a slot up on the dry erase board committed. The whole damn thing is one big con.

It's not a con, it's simply life. If a coach loses out on a recruit to another school, he can't spend his life still still communicating with the kid. That wouldn't be fair to the kids who came to his program. Not to mention, it would likely be illegal.
Let's be honest, it is pretty dirty. I am not a fan of all the flipping and transferring, but the coaches pull all kind of things. It is all fair in love, war and recruiting, but it is adults vs kids in recruiting.
yes, it is. has been that way for a pretty long time, though. just different instruments at any point in time. if you're a "star", life is pretty good. outside of that, you better be pretty sure of what you're in for. and what you want to get out of it. this has been known, eyes wide open.
yes, 5 stars are pretty good. There are still things that go on. Coaches will let it be known if you pick up a call/visit and are committed elsewhere. This is where you want a good relationship with your HS head coach. He can be the intermediary and help you through the process.
Who doesn’t want a good relationship a their HS coach? Want.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:30 pm Tills must think the team has a deep run in them for 2025 with the offense he's added in particular. Ward and Hernandez are multi-year players. It's the loading up on graduate transfers that tells you that he thinks those player will potentially get the Terps over the top.
Didn’t he just go to Memorial Day with a FO guy & a Close D guy, that’s about all? Doubt he’s desperate lol
Yes, and those two are now gone. I think he got some nice players, but there’s something about grabbing any and every transfer in the portal that seems off to me. It will be a big step up for a lot of these guys.
The two young guys in Ward and Hernandez are different than the graduate transfers. Tills is bringing those grads in to not just steady the ship. The Terps return more than enough to be a Top 10 or better team next year. He's bringing in those graduate transfers for a Memorial Day run. Losing Wierman is a huge loss, but there's a lot of confidence in the program with Shea Keethler to be the main FOGO with Sean Creter developing for the following years. The close defense, even with Zappitello's graduation, is going to be very good next year with Canfield, Burlace, Schaller, and an incoming pole like Laake. Bringing in Goorno shores up the shorty unit. The LSM unit is set. Maybe Hernandez can be the 3rd LSM, but McDonald and Larkin are well above average LSMs.

The offense last year needed 2 things. More dodging but more importantly more shooting. If you look at what Tills specifically brought in, you see very good shooters in Armitage, Keegan, and now Dowd. That will open a lot of space for dodging. Ford adds some pop with his dodging and distribution (replacing Malever). The midfield will run 2 deep again but will have better balance. Next year with these transfers is the bridge to the next cluster of impact recruits on offense for the 2026 season.
Is gravino going to play at all and you sure creter won’t win the main job? Notwithstanding that one game vs Brown where he was getting his feet wet at this level.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

mdk01 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:42 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:22 pm Former Brown goalie Connor Theriault will spend his graduate season with @TampaMLax, he tells @Inside_Lacrosse.

The People’s Goalie was a three-year starter for the Bears, stopping 51.5% in 44 games.

Yes. It there aren’t taking a grad student transfer
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Are we sure he wanted that? Spending your 5th year in sunny Florida on a team that has fun and destroys most of its competition sounds pretty great compated to grinding it out for one year on a fringe competitor in D1... The People's Goalie made the everyman's decision imo. I hope he crushes it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:17 am

Are we sure he wanted that? Spending your 5th year in sunny Florida on a team that has fun and destroys most of its competition sounds pretty great compated to grinding it out for one year on a fringe competitor in D1... The People's Goalie made the everyman's decision imo. I hope he crushes it.
He’s gonna be crushing that bread and oil in the “scrimps” at Columbia restaurant in Ybor City once he discovers that delightful spot!

I’d be eating here every day if I lived in Tampa. https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor-city-tampa

Maybe an occasional break as I’ve had surprisingly good Pho down there but spare me the large rock no brine gulf oysters.
stevemc

Post by stevemc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:13 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:17 am

He’s gonna be crushing that bread and oil in the “scrimps” at Columbia restaurant in Ybor City once he discovers that delightful spot!

I’d be eating here every day if I lived in Tampa. https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor-city-tampa

Maybe an occasional break as I’ve had surprisingly good Pho down there but spare me the large rock no brine gulf oysters.
Love the Columbia. Had a group of 14 there this week on my business visit. Never disappoints.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Late Slide wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:32 pm This is not going to be a popular comment because folks scream all things player rights but I have a lot of dissonance with the transfer at the drop of the hat culture against the play for your team, lean on each other when you’re down by one and the fourth quarter, Fox hole sentiment. Every damn team brings in inspirational speakers to preach loyalty and selling your soul for your brothers. I absolutely understand that kids sometimes “need“ to transfer. But transferring now is wild, and its completely misaligned with the rah rah - high five mentality preached on the side lines.

It reminds me when my son was going through the D1 recruiting process and many coaches would implore my son to respect them and the program and let them know as soon as possible when he was no longer interested in the school all the while the very same coaches would immediately ghost once the recruit a slot up on the dry erase board committed. The whole damn thing is one big con.

It's not a con, it's simply life. If a coach loses out on a recruit to another school, he can't spend his life still still communicating with the kid. That wouldn't be fair to the kids who came to his program. Not to mention, it would likely be illegal.
Let's be honest, it is pretty dirty. I am not a fan of all the flipping and transferring, but the coaches pull all kind of things. It is all fair in love, war and recruiting, but it is adults vs kids in recruiting.
yes, it is. has been that way for a pretty long time, though. just different instruments at any point in time. if you're a "star", life is pretty good. outside of that, you better be pretty sure of what you're in for. and what you want to get out of it. this has been known, eyes wide open.
yes, 5 stars are pretty good. There are still things that go on. Coaches will let it be known if you pick up a call/visit and are committed elsewhere. This is where you want a good relationship with your HS head coach. He can be the intermediary and help you through the process.
Lars said this year that he made 3 in person visits the Millon while he was committed to Duke.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:38 am

Who doesn’t want a good relationship a their HS coach? Want.
I can say my son’s head coach was helpful in this area. Having a coach who is experienced in recruiting and helpful is a huge asset. Most are their to give help, but not everyone takes it
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:42 am

Is gravino going to play at all and you sure creter won’t win the main job? Notwithstanding that one game vs Brown where he was getting his feet wet at this level.
How about posting in English Farfromgeneva? I know it’s a difficult language.
GoldEagle13

Post by GoldEagle13 »

Jack Erb SSDM from Siena to Georgetown for his grad year.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

I thought about opening a new thread for this question but then I figured that the folks posting here would be the ones with the thoughtful answers:

If I'm a 5 star HS Senior looking to choose a college and hoping to play lacrosse (not pace the sidelines) at my college, I'd like to hear a coach say 'half my contributing (name the HS seniors position) are graduating and there will be an opportunity for real playing time for you." or even: "You'd be a real 'get' for us! If you show me what I've seen so far, you'll see the field a LOT as a Frosh!".

So I commit to a place where I'm a fit and can actually contribute and (most importantly -- Play). Then, come the summer before I show up on campus, and the coach brings in a bunch of stud transfers with accolades and I'm seeing myself getting nudged down the depth chart. I'd be a little deflated, and feel more than a little misled.

Can Frosh recruits decommit as late as when the transfers get picked up? Not in my day, of course, but I'm asking about under the new regime.

What options do HS recruits have?

Is the pitch now "If you compliment the studs we portal, then you'll see the field. Next year, if you rock, we'll get portal studs that compliment you!" or something like that?

Does anyone have any insight on how this is working in this day and age?

Thanks in advance!
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:30 am I thought about opening a new thread for this question but then I figured that the folks posting here would be the ones with the thoughtful answers:

If I'm a 5 star HS Senior looking to choose a college and hoping to play lacrosse (not pace the sidelines) at my college, I'd like to hear a coach say 'half my contributing (name the HS seniors position) are graduating and there will be an opportunity for real playing time for you." or even: "You'd be a real 'get' for us! If you show me what I've seen so far, you'll see the field a LOT as a Frosh!".

So I commit to a place where I'm a fit and can actually contribute and (most importantly -- Play). Then, come the summer before I show up on campus, and the coach brings in a bunch of stud transfers with accolades and I'm seeing myself getting nudged down the depth chart. I'd be a little deflated, and feel more than a little misled.

Can Frosh recruits decommit as late as when the transfers get picked up? Not in my day, of course, but I'm asking about under the new regime.

Is the pitch now "If you compliment the studs we portal, then you'll see the field. Next year, if you rock, we'll get portal studs that compliment you!" or something like that?

Thanks in advance!
Once you sign the National Letter of Intent you are bound to go to that school unless they let you out. That said, The Ivy’s don’t have NLI so sometimes they will pick up guys who’ve signed NLI’s with other schools late. Have seen kids decommit to Ivy’s summer before freshman year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:30 am I thought about opening a new thread for this question but then I figured that the folks posting here would be the ones with the thoughtful answers:

Thanks in advance!
if you get athletic scholly money, you are bound to it for that year without a release or a coach change. plus changing schools without having attended yet misses most acceptance windows.
so realistically, your first year is you sitting on the sidelines somewhere.

options originally are ivy and other places that don't take in many transfers, beating those transfers out, or transferring out yourself after year 1.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Redshirt.
Shellenberger redshirted, worked out well for him.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thanks in advance!
Options or personal decisions that they need to answer?

My two cents....there are very few guarantees in life, especially in a competitive environment like D1 Lacrosse. The way we mentored our players and my own sons.....imagine you can no longer play lacrosse or the coach leaves that school, would you still want to be at this school? If the answer is yes....there is nothing further to be concerned with they are there for the right reasons, if the answer is no....well your only choices are to work to the level that the coach has no other choice but to pick you over the next guy, and even then you still may need to wait your turn, maybe roll the dice with a redshirt year.

I can recall some kids going to Salisbury that had to navigate this very decision. If you didn't prove you were a gym rat for the first 1-2 years, you may never see the field....that is, unless the coach needed you. Remember, their livelihood is in the hands of 18-22 year old kids.

Good Luck to your son, sincerely....and enjoy every moment. Happy Father's Day, 3rdPersonPlural!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:58 am

Redshirt.
Shellenberger redshirted, worked out well for him.
Is that ever a player’s decision? If a coach says I want you to play, I can’t see a player say, nah, I’m good, don’t want to burn my year, and just refuse to go in. You could quit the team I suppose if you were committed to leaving the school anyway after the year but that’s not a great advertisement for you going into the portal.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:43 am
mdk01 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:42 pm

Yes. It there aren’t taking a grad student transfer
Ivies can't take grad transfers.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”