2024 New York State Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
LI13

Re: 2024 New York State Tournaments

Post by LI13 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:09 pm
LI13 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:39 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:56 pm
thedisciple516 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:59 pm Nothing too surprising happened here today other than BBP margin of victory. All we knew is that these games would were toss ups and we'd likely get some great games and that's what happened.

Congrats McQuaid on your first title. This is not some kind of private school powerhouse that has been siphoning off kids from publics for years. This is a program that has slowly built itself up into what it is today.

Only other comment is that Marcellus is still pretty young and will return 5 of their top 7 scorers including leading scorer. Goalie and much of defense graduate though. They'll be a contender at the very least.
I'd pay a shekel or 2 to see how they'd do against Chaminade and St. A's. BTW where do the kids come from?
They'd get blown out.
maybe. but we don't really know, as they aren't really playing each other anymore.
I mean yes but if you watch the teams play it's a whole different level.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LI13 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:48 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:09 pm
thedisciple516 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:59 pm Nothing too surprising happened here today other than BBP margin of victory. All we knew is that these games would were toss ups and we'd likely get some great games and that's what happened.

Congrats McQuaid on your first title. This is not some kind of private school powerhouse that has been siphoning off kids from publics for years. This is a program that has slowly built itself up into what it is today.

Only other comment is that Marcellus is still pretty young and will return 5 of their top 7 scorers including leading scorer. Goalie and much of defense graduate though. They'll be a contender at the very least.
I'd pay a shekel or 2 to see how they'd do against Chaminade and St. A's. BTW where do the kids come from?
They'd get blown out.
maybe. but we don't really know, as they aren't really playing each other anymore.
I mean yes but if you watch the teams play it's a whole different level.
yes. i've coached against a "whole different level" more than once. i could take what little there is now for 2024 and do comparative scores, see how teams have a chance..
they get pick of the litter to form teams.
point is juice isn't worth the squeeze. let it lay.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Maybe too early to talk next hear but West Genny and Nisky are headed back to A, while South Side is dropping to C
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

They'd get blown out.
Agree. McQuaid only won because Class A Upstate was weak this year and Farmingdale wasn't even a top 5 team on LI. Not to take anything away from the kids, Farmingdale was still a really good team, but McQuaid is nowhere near St. A or Chaminades level (very very few are).
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Don't know for sure but my guess is that the lax players come from nearby towns with strong lax traditions like Pittsford, Penfield, Victor, Fairport, Irondequoit and Webster.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:25 pm I still can't believe Victor took a shot, they were the most impressive team until they weren't
i would've been expecting a double pole on ball, and probably a shut off including the goalie.
- trying to both get lt and stay in the box scenario, sure i could draw a foul, but the probably expectation is 15 - 30 seconds and a turnover up one.
- if i got the shutoff with goalie, the ball was at a spot on the field where there's a high probability it goes in. i'm up 2. if he misses and we circled it up, next best chance is we back it up. no double team for a bit while i restart.

all very difficult to coordinate in the span of a timeout. the shot taken (with 3-4 dudes between him and the goal) almost leans toward they were told if they had an open net, they had a green light if they wanted to. and he miscalculated a net that got filled up quickly.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Next year the rumor is that NYSPHSAA is going to experiment with a shot clack. Timer to be kept by the officials
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:13 pm Next year the rumor is that NYSPHSAA is going to experiment with a shot clack. Timer to be kept by the officials
Not a rumor. Already been voted on.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:21 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:25 pm I still can't believe Victor took a shot, they were the most impressive team until they weren't
i would've been expecting a double pole on ball, and probably a shut off including the goalie.
- trying to both get lt and stay in the box scenario, sure i could draw a foul, but the probably expectation is 15 - 30 seconds and a turnover up one.
- if i got the shutoff with goalie, the ball was at a spot on the field where there's a high probability it goes in. i'm up 2. if he misses and we circled it up, next best chance is we back it up. no double team for a bit while i restart.

all very difficult to coordinate in the span of a timeout. the shot taken (with 3-4 dudes between him and the goal) almost leans toward they were told if they had an open net, they had a green light if they wanted to. and he miscalculated a net that got filled up quickly.
Green light on a layup maybe but SS was never getting that ball back. It was at 40 and they weren't close to it. Victor easily would have got it below and worst case lost it with 15 seconds left. Feel like Victor had so many ways to win it in the last minute and only one way to lose it
LI13

Post by LI13 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:41 pm

Green light on a layup maybe but SS was never getting that ball back. It was at 40 and they weren't close to it. Victor easily would have got it below and worst case lost it with 15 seconds left. Feel like Victor had so many ways to win it in the last minute and only one way to lose it
Even if it went in it would be a bad shot! With Melkonian South Side could easily score twice in 45 seconds.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

in the moment, it was bad shot selection. there was a guy going spiderman at him and he attempted to twizzler a 12 yard shot over him with guys in the cage.
they def could've run more clock, but who knows how much.
these are high school guys and big spots.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

LI13 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:47 pm

Even if it went in it would be a bad shot! With Melkonian South Side could easily score twice in 45 seconds.
That would have been the second way to lose
GoldEagle13

Post by GoldEagle13 »

With shot clock the only way to use it is have the time posted. The officials keeping time themselves will be unclear.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

GoldEagle13 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:18 am With shot clock the only way to use it is have the time posted. The officials keeping time themselves will be unclear.
As an official who has done tournaments where the official keeps time and the time is 'stop time' for the last 2 minutes in close games, this decision for officials to keep the shot clock is never gonna work. Here's why:

Even with 3 officials, each has to keep their eyes on the field always. Peering at a watch to make sure it's running, monitoring what the count down is, being sure it reset properly, listening for that tinny buzz when time is up. Referencing and Broadcasting accurate 'time left', and, of course, dealing with parents and coaches who 'keep their own time' and find themselves seconds off of your count....it ain't gonna be pretty, folks.

The solution will be a bench official which is a 4th guy (there aren't even 2 refs available for most games where I'm from until deep in the playoffs) who watches the sidelines and keeps the shot clock. OK. Is it cheaper to finance an NCAA screen and have a volunteer dad or mom or booster run the buttons along with the quarter timer, or recruit and pay a 4th ref with a big voice?

Thoughts?
GoldEagle13

Post by GoldEagle13 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:54 am
GoldEagle13 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:18 am With shot clock the only way to use it is have the time posted. The officials keeping time themselves will be unclear.
As an official who has done tournaments where the official keeps time and the time is 'stop time' for the last 2 minutes in close games, this decision for officials to keep the shot clock is never gonna work. Here's why:

Even with 3 officials, each has to keep their eyes on the field always. Peering at a watch to make sure it's running, monitoring what the count down is, being sure it reset properly, listening for that tinny buzz when time is up. Referencing and Broadcasting accurate 'time left', and, of course, dealing with parents and coaches who 'keep their own time' and find themselves seconds off of your count....it ain't gonna be pretty, folks.

The solution will be a bench official which is a 4th guy (there aren't even 2 refs available for most games where I'm from until deep in the playoffs) who watches the sidelines and keeps the shot clock. OK. Is it cheaper to finance an NCAA screen and have a volunteer dad or mom or booster run the buttons along with the quarter timer, or recruit and pay a 4th ref with a big voice?

Thoughts?
I think also from a players perspective how can you know the time. If I had to guess they will use a board like NCAA.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:54 am

Thoughts?
It will be a challenge to say the least to have shot clocks visible and properly run at most schools

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”