2024 New York State Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: 2024 New York State Tournaments

Post by oldbartman »

LI13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:10 pm The fact that if there were a TOC in New York this year the Class A rep would likely be the weakest of the four teams just cries out for a single class tournament. It would be absolutely epic and it's a shame it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure what year they divided the schools by student population, but in 1979 Cold Spring Harbor (currently class D and very similar student population) played the original ( undivided which would have been class A today) Sachem for the NYS championship. Sachem won in a close game. On LI there was a big boys league this season so to speak. Imho, it gave those teams a leg up in terms of at least the 1st round of the state playoffs in their divisions. I know there is a lot of cross pollination in CNY between Section 3, 4 and 5 teams that gives them a similar season. This is the first year in a few where I feel the "upstate" teams have more than a punchers chance at their respective class titles.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

thedisciple516 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:29 am
LI13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:10 pm The fact that if there were a TOC in New York this year the Class A rep would likely be the weakest of the four teams just cries out for a single class tournament. It would be absolutely epic and it's a shame it doesn't exist.
Interesting idea. Lacrosse is unique in that way that there is not too much of a difference between higher and lower classes. I'd still like more teams to have the opportunity to win championships. Are you saying one tournament for everyone so only one champion or after everyone wins their respective A,B,C,D championships they play each other?
tournament of champions is akin to what nj? and pa? do. get state champions 1st, and then have a tourney after. of course, until 1986 there was just one state champion. the "problem" besides a longer season is that in cutting up the state to give more opportunities to smaller schools, you're going to take the euphoria for 3 schools and turn it into an end of season loss. balanced against the entertainment and competitive value, of course.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:20 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:20 am Victor is today’s West Genesee
At Cortland I was watching Victor dismantle Vestal. I left at halftime to check on Liverpool, but came back to finish the game. Even in a rout, they’re an entertaining team to watch. A well disciplined machine. What ever issues they had during the regular season, they’ll likely turn it up a notch at playoff time. Their state championship record suggests so. Their attack was awesome, led by Jackson Mead #3 who had 6g, 5 in the 1st period and he’s only a 9th grader! Very quick and can light up the goal. Clinkscales #5 on the other side is very good too and they work so well together. The Ricci brothers, handle FO. Eli went 8/10 and he’s only a 8th grader.

I’m sure South Side is very good too. You never know what you get in the finals. Should be a good one.

IMG_8750.jpeg
darien probably makes a better case, but for new york, fo sho. and cranking 8th and 9th graders out there, future i'm sure is bright. they have it down in that town.

ardilla, did you come up thru school in PA or NY? glad you get to see what's really the best high school lacrosse tournament anywhere.
PA District 1. When I lived in Philly I used to see a ton of live high school and college games, the benefit of a central location. Seeing fewer now in Buffalo. Hope to see states return to Fisher soon.

Have seen many PA playoffs and finals. I have a count of 10 NYSPHSAA final programs not to mention Section, 3, 5, 6, 11 & LI finals. Also been to a championship for MIAA A, New Jersey, and Maryland public.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:42 am
Interesting idea. Lacrosse is unique in that way that there is not too much of a difference between higher and lower classes. I'd still like more teams to have the opportunity to win championships. Are you saying one tournament for everyone so only one champion or after everyone wins their respective A,B,C,D championships they play each other?
tournament of champions is akin to what nj? and pa? do. get state champions 1st, and then have a tourney after. of course, until 1986 there was just one state champion. the "problem" besides a longer season is that in cutting up the state to give more opportunities to smaller schools, you're going to take the euphoria for 3 schools and turn it into an end of season loss. balanced against the entertainment and competitive value, of course.
I would prefer one tournament.

What is the value of having CSH in class D? Kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing. CSH is a peer program to many A, B, and C schools.

I live in Indiana now and many old schoolers pine for the old single class basketball tournament that ended in 1997. But the fact is that the 1A finalists this year would've been 40 point underdogs to the 4A finalists. Classes even out competition in a meaningful way because it's way harder to create a winning team out of a population of 200 than 5200 (Carmel, the largest school in Indiana).

Classes do not accomplish this in New York lacrosse because there are years where CSH is the best team in Nassau and what is the point of having them only play Friends Academy? Who does this help?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LI13 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:10 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:42 am
I would prefer one tournament.

What is the value of having CSH in class D? Kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing. CSH is a peer program to many A, B, and C schools.

I live in Indiana now and many old schoolers pine for the old single class basketball tournament that ended in 1997. But the fact is that the 1A finalists this year would've been 40 point underdogs to the 4A finalists. Classes even out competition in a meaningful way because it's way harder to create a winning team out of a population of 200 than 5200 (Carmel, the largest school in Indiana).

Classes do not accomplish this in New York lacrosse because there are years where CSH is the best team in Nassau and what is the point of having them only play Friends Academy? Who does this help?
i dunno, seems to come out in the wash. there are 250-300? schools competing in nys lacrosse. being #1 out of 60 or 80 schools is pretty good. some years you may get the d being better than anyone. in csh's case, it looks like they get to play a very flexible schedule throughout the year, play a bunch of good teams of all classes. and then they know in d, they'll get 2 or 3 competitive teams even if not to get out of 8.

and i don't know if things have changed, but for a long time a school could petition and get granted to play up in a sport (or some or all of them) if they wanted to. if that's still the case, then csh (and everyone else) is happy where they are re: competition and the chance to win a champ.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:56 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:20 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:20 am Victor is today’s West Genesee
At Cortland I was watching Victor dismantle Vestal. I left at halftime to check on Liverpool, but came back to finish the game. Even in a rout, they’re an entertaining team to watch. A well disciplined machine. What ever issues they had during the regular season, they’ll likely turn it up a notch at playoff time. Their state championship record suggests so. Their attack was awesome, led by Jackson Mead #3 who had 6g, 5 in the 1st period and he’s only a 9th grader! Very quick and can light up the goal. Clinkscales #5 on the other side is very good too and they work so well together. The Ricci brothers, handle FO. Eli went 8/10 and he’s only a 8th grader.

I’m sure South Side is very good too. You never know what you get in the finals. Should be a good one.

IMG_8750.jpeg
darien probably makes a better case, but for new york, fo sho. and cranking 8th and 9th graders out there, future i'm sure is bright. they have it down in that town.

ardilla, did you come up thru school in PA or NY? glad you get to see what's really the best high school lacrosse tournament anywhere.
PA District 1. When I lived in Philly I used to see a ton of live high school and college games, the benefit of a central location. Seeing fewer now in Buffalo. Hope to see states return to Fisher soon.

Have seen many PA playoffs and finals. I have a count of 10 NYSPHSAA final programs not to mention Section, 3, 5, 6, 11 & LI finals. Also been to a championship for MIAA A, New Jersey, and Maryland public.
nice. you are the king of high school lacrosse tournaments!
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Red Rams on the move.At Cortland on Wednesday it looked like HFL was able to stay with Jamesville-DeWitt, but the hinges came off the door in the 2nd Q as JD dominated the FO and as they tend to do, quickly moved the ball upfield and put the game out of reach. Sam Brazell was unstoppable with 8g, 3a. In state finals, success at the X tends to win final and if the get the ball, JD is certainly capable of coming out with a win. We’ll see Saturday whether BBP can win their share of FO.

It was clearly a down year in Class A upstate. None of the usual suspects in S5, Fairport, Penfield and Pittsford had a strong season. Baldwinsville wasn’t up for the 3-peat. I wasn’t particularly impressed by either McQuaid or Liverpool. Can’t see McQ doing well against Farmingdale.

In Class D, Marcellus sure had a great season and looked good in their state semifinal. Can a school in a small town outside of Syracuse stand up to one nestled in the epicenter of Long Island lacrosse? Take a look at the schedule of CSH. It’s massively impressive. Games against Class A and C finalists Farmingdale and South Side. Toss in Manhasset, Massapequa, Yorktown, Rye, Wantagh, Garden City, Huntington. They don’t even play a game against Class D until the playoffs. Good luck with that, Mustangs.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:36 pm Red Rams on the move.At Cortland on Wednesday it looked like HFL was able to stay with Jamesville-DeWitt, but the hinges came off the door in the 2nd Q as JD dominated the FO and as they tend to do, quickly moved the ball upfield and put the game out of reach. Sam Brazell was unstoppable with 8g, 3a. In state finals, success at the X tends to win final and if the get the ball, JD is certainly capable of coming out with a win. We’ll see Saturday whether BBP can win their share of FO.

It was clearly a down year in Class A upstate. None of the usual suspects in S5, Fairport, Penfield and Pittsford had a strong season. Baldwinsville wasn’t up for the 3-peat. I wasn’t particularly impressed by either McQuaid or Liverpool. Can’t see McQ doing well against Farmingdale.

In Class D, Marcellus sure had a great season and looked good in their state semifinal. Can a school in a small town outside of Syracuse stand up to one nestled in the epicenter of Long Island lacrosse? Take a look at the schedule of CSH. It’s massively impressive. Games against Class A and C finalists Farmingdale and South Side. Toss in Manhasset, Massapequa, Yorktown, Rye, Wantagh, Garden City, Huntington. They don’t even play a game against Class D until the playoffs. Good luck with that, Mustangs.
And in Class B Victor has to be relieved that they're not going to be playing nemesis Garden City (losses in '23 & '18). Last year Victor fell into two holes (2-6 & 4-9) before staging a furious near comeback in the last 10m. But they failed to pull even w GC and fell 8-9. That'll be more than enough motivation this year, as they'll be back on top after OT, 11-10.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

is there anything besides the crappy nfhs feed?
WhatIPostLike

Post by WhatIPostLike »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:32 am is there anything besides the crappy nfhs feed?
Assuming everybody else's audio drop out on the NFHS broadcast also?
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

NFHS need not attend the EMMYS.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WhatIPostLike wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:33 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:32 am is there anything besides the crappy nfhs feed?
Assuming everybody else's audio drop out on the NFHS broadcast also?
yeah. after the semis production, was hopeful. hofstra's broadcasts aren't exactly special, but they can't hire that group out for four figures or more?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

both goalies doing their job in the cage, but my lord marcellus cannot shoot.
Klaxman

Post by Klaxman »

Congrats to csh
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

three-peat for CSH 12-7 over Marcellus Class D

CSH Girls Class D champs 12-5 over South Jefferson
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

I guess unless the sun goes down quickly we won't be seeing the game ? What's up with the brightness ? Close a lense
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:19 pm I guess unless the sun goes down quickly we won't be seeing the game ? What's up with the brightness ? Close a lense
my feed has gotten much better since game 1. now broadcasters and someone fixed the focus.
looks like a ballgame knotted @ 4 @ half. mcquaid definitely not scared. lot of shots. think they're going to need tighter in looks as they don't shoot it very hard, but this looks like it'll be played into the 4th.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:34 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:19 pm I guess unless the sun goes down quickly we won't be seeing the game ? What's up with the brightness ? Close a lense
my feed has gotten much better since game 1. now broadcasters and someone fixed the focus.
looks like a ballgame knotted @ 4 @ half. mcquaid definitely not scared. lot of shots. think they're going to need tighter in looks as they don't shoot it very hard, but this looks like it'll be played into the 4th.
Haha yes. I think they finally opened the window...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

anybody have some backstory on mcquaid? they "recruiting" better than used to be? taking and turning athletes earlier into lacrosse players? digging into the local publics by getting 1 or 2 more guys here, there... coaching? sustainable?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:01 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:34 pm
Haha yes. I think they finally opened the window...
*probably*

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”