UNC 2025

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Womenslaxxfan

Re: UNC 2025

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

uncfan1013 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:23 pm I wonder how this year could affect our recruiting for the 2026 class. We unanimously have been the best recruiting team for the past 3 years with 17 total 5-stars, 4 total 4-stars and 2 unranked. I hope that with this tremendous recruiting the staff does, we are able to stack the roster with more good recruits that’ll help bring home national championship #4. I hope the HS Class of 2026 looks at the recent years of success rather than this year.
Unc is a great school with a great lacrosse tradition. They have been a perennial final 4 team and acc champ. But BC is clearly top dog program in the ACC at this point in terms of momentum and ncaa tournament success. Cuse embarassed them. And uva and notre dame beat them. That combination hasn’t happened in a decade.

My guess is that unc will get a strong class…but not the same embarrassment of riches as in years past. Finishing ranked out of the top 15 is a real blow to the program. It’s been forever since that’s happened to unc, and this is now two years in a row where unc hasn’t been a real contender to win it all….
That matters to top recruits and to parents
They will have more talent on the field next year than they had this year assuming everyone is healthy….but the fact that their only championship of the past 7 years came from what is probably the best women’s lacrosse team ever doesnt help and will start to fade in memory for recruits. The last time unc won a national championship, the class of 2026 was in 8th grade.

Will be interesting to see…
There are too many other serious options for top recruits to consider who have done more recently…
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:27 am
uncfan1013 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:23 pm I wonder how this year could affect our recruiting for the 2026 class. We unanimously have been the best recruiting team for the past 3 years with 17 total 5-stars, 4 total 4-stars and 2 unranked. I hope that with this tremendous recruiting the staff does, we are able to stack the roster with more good recruits that’ll help bring home national championship #4. I hope the HS Class of 2026 looks at the recent years of success rather than this year.
Unc is a great school with a great lacrosse tradition. They have been a perennial final 4 team and acc champ. But BC is clearly top dog program in the ACC at this point in terms of momentum and ncaa tournament success. Cuse embarassed them. And uva and notre dame beat them. That combination hasn’t happened in a decade.

My guess is that unc will get a strong class…but not the same embarrassment of riches as in years past. Finishing ranked out of the top 15 is a real blow to the program. It’s been forever since that’s happened to unc, and this is now two years in a row where unc hasn’t been a real contender to win it all….
They will have more talent on the field next year than they had this year assuming everyone is healthy….but the fact that their only championship of the past 7 years came from what is probably the best women’s lacrosse team ever doesnt help and will start to fade in memory for recruits. The last time unc won a national championship, the class of 2026 was in 8th grade.

There are too many other serious options for top recruits to consider who have done more recently…
Please , UNC will still have one of the top if not the top recruiting classes year after year. " Too many other options to consider" , which schools have the previous success , with possibly the nicest lacrosse stadium , excellent weather , ability to get players in who on their own had little chance to get in , great sports culture, awesome campus and nice town etc etc. The school sells itself to the recruits and parents of recruits. The only thing I think may be a negative for the next recruiting class may be having to compete with the Levy kid and the sister act as many of the top players want to have the red carpet rolled out .
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

ACClaxfan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:17 pm

Please , UNC will still have one of the top if not the top recruiting classes year after year. " Too many other options to consider" , which schools have the previous success , with possibly the nicest lacrosse stadium , excellent weather , ability to get players in who on their own had little chance to get in , great sports culture, awesome campus and nice town etc etc. The school sells itself to the recruits and parents of recruits. The only thing I think may be a negative for the next recruiting class may be having to compete with the Levy kid and the sister act as many of the top players want to have the red carpet rolled out .
Maybe. I was specifically responding to the comment of whether unc will continue to have the BEST recruiting class. And I think the answer is maybe, but not as surely as in the past. Too many other places with great teams, great weather, great academics, great team culture.

And unc “tradition of excellence” has taken a blow. Like northwesterns did for a while.
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

McKenna Harden in transfer portal apparently

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/63570
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

laxguy95 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:37 pm McKenna Harden in transfer portal apparently

Surprised because she has her sister on the team and played a lot this season but most likely could mean she knew her spot would taken by a player next year. I’m hoping UNC maybe goes for the Drexel or VT goalie knowing that’s where we struggled this year. Also hoping we get a couple defenders
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:54 pm
laxguy95 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:37 pm McKenna Harden in transfer portal apparently

Surprised because she has her sister on the team and played a lot this season but most likely could mean she knew her spot would taken by a player next year. I’m hoping UNC maybe goes for the Drexel or VT goalie knowing that’s where we struggled this year. Also hoping we get a couple defenders
I'm thinking/hoping Zenk and Nelson will be ready to compete next year, along with 2-3 transfer defenders. Like you said, she must be transferring because she knew her spot would be taken, and it's not like she didn't get enough playing time this year, so wonder if there are already some plans in the works for defenders
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

laxguy95 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:29 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:54 pm

I'm thinking/hoping Zenk and Nelson will be ready to compete next year, along with 2-3 transfer defenders. Like you said, she must be transferring because she knew her spot would be taken, and it's not like she didn't get enough playing time this year, so wonder if there are already some plans in the works for defenders
I think Zenk could be good, but I hope Nelson can improve too and be ready to play more next season. I think she struggled when she played this year but will get better this off-season.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

UNC may not have a program for much longer. Their athletic director is on the ropes for his job right now because he's running a deficit, and the guy has had 21 National Championships under his belt. What men's and women's sports cost the most (large team, very little revenue) and are easiest to cut? I'd say men's and women's lacrosse is near the top of the list, right there with field hockey.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:34 pm

UNC may not have a program for much longer. Their athletic director is on the ropes for his job right now because he's running a deficit, and the guy has had 21 National Championships under his belt. What men's and women's sports cost the most (large team, very little revenue) and are easiest to cut? I'd say men's and women's lacrosse is near the top of the list, right there with field hockey.
There are other sports that make even less revenue with little success, field hockey & lacrosse are the sports UNC has thrived at recruiting wise or playing wise. Don’t think they would cut the programs with good success, amazing coaches and great recruiting
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Why bother to post such a speculative and doom and gloom post? You—along with everyone else—have no clue what will happen to college athletics over the next 3-5 years.

Let’s deal with it when it happens. Why weigh in on it now when the boards of trustees for these schools don’t even know what they’re going to do??
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

With all due respect, I think lots of the recruiting rankings are self-fulling prophecies because of where girls committed. While there have been some elite committments to UNC, I'd argue that several of UNC's 4-stars wouldn't be 4-stars if they didn't commit to UNC or another top 4 program.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:27 pm

There are other sports that make even less revenue with little success, field hockey & lacrosse are the sports UNC has thrived at recruiting wise or playing wise. Don’t think they would cut the programs with good success, amazing coaches and great recruiting
You may be right that some cuts will need to be made. But given title IX and the incoming lawsuit fallout, men's sports will be cut/defunded well before any female sports. I would not want to be a men's wrestler or swimmer right now.
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

They just created a job listing for a new assistant coach position, so I guess they have the money to fund that for now at least
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

laxguy95 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:41 pm They just created a job listing for a new assistant coach position, so I guess they have the money to fund that for now at least
Is someone leaving? They have 3 assistant coaches now and isn't that the limit? Job is listed as entry level with minimum 1 year experience
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:02 am
laxguy95 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:41 pm They just created a job listing for a new assistant coach position, so I guess they have the money to fund that for now at least
Is someone leaving? They have 3 assistant coaches now and isn't that the limit? Job is listed as entry level with minimum 1 year experience
https://x.com/uncwlax/status/1796633042 ... -L5JmSKTdQ

The word makes it sound like it’s a new position but I’m not sure
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

The wording makes it sound like it’s a new position but I’m not sure
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:18 pm

Why bother to post such a speculative and doom and gloom post? You—along with everyone else—have no clue what will happen to college athletics over the next 3-5 years.

Let’s deal with it when it happens. Why weigh in on it now when the boards of trustees for these schools don’t even know what they’re going to do??
Why weigh in now?
Because there's time to impact what's coming. If we're completely reactive, it truly might be doom and gloom.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

laxguy95 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:36 am

The wording makes it sound like it’s a new position but I’m not sure
We already have 3 assistant coaches and the wording said “3rd” so I think maybe one is leaving
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

Their biggest issue going into next year is the youth and relative inexperience of their assistant coaches. And they are seeking an assistant coach with perhaps only one year of experience?? If they want to return to being in the National Championship they should be searching for an offensive coach with at least a decade of experience. That would be the best choice for a team that will have multiple returning players and multiple high level recruits scrapping for playing time ( with an over abundance of attackers) , 3 sisters and a coach’s daughter. These issues are best handled by a veteran coach.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

2004wrongisland wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:20 pm
Their biggest issue going into next year is the youth and relative inexperience of their assistant coaches. And they are seeking an assistant coach with perhaps only one year of experience?? If they want to return to being in the National Championship they should be searching for an offensive coach with at least a decade of experience. That would be the best choice for a team that will have multiple returning players and multiple high level recruits scrapping for playing time ( with an over abundance of attackers) , 3 sisters and a coach’s daughter. These issues are best handled by a veteran coach.
Ideally yes a great idea. However I don’t see levy gelling with a veteran Asst coach . Last one was Dowd and that didn’t work out too well.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”