10stone5

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 1:00 PM

Post by 10stone5 »

Zappitello was on Shellenberger like glue

some great great plays from #1.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finster wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:36 pm Who does Ajax shut off? Pat? Chris? Whoever he covers will disappear.
Zapp covers PK for sure.

The Terps team I saw today can definitely beat the ND team I saw today,

the question is depth - ND has more.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:12 pm The lack of respect to Coach Tillman, man.

He’s seen ND once already. That’s worth 4-5 goals.

This guy is not going to be out-coached Monday. Not by Corrigan.

Draftkings has ND by 3.

Faceoff will tell some of the story, but not all (assuming it’s close to 50/50 this time).

I think the game comes down to Entenmann versus McNaney.
Championship is a bit different. Tillman doesn’t have a week of practice to prepare. I like ND. I think Maryland struggles to win 1 on 1s offensively. I don’t see ND sliding haphazardly like Virginia and gifting goals. Offensively ND is complete. They can attack Maryland with Dobson and Fiason up top, they don’t rely on the Kavs to get the defense moving
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:43 pm
Finster wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:36 pm Who does Ajax shut off? Pat? Chris? Whoever he covers will disappear.

This is a GREAT championship. Lots of interesting things to think about.

Maryland won in ‘22. ND won in ‘23. Who wins this year?
Jared Bernhardt needs to make an appearance.

Let’s go!!!!!!
He wasn’t able to make any of them disappear in March…
To be fair, that was early in the season (3/3/24) and a week after ND’s G-town loss. Anyone in the country was going to lose that game against an angry ND. Plus MD was pretty up and down all season. Tills has the boys going when it matters.

I still have ND winning. But, I have MD covering +3. 11-9 ND.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:04 pm Wierman was banged up in the first game and in the middle of one of his colder runs over the last 3 years. I don't think either guy dominates, but I'll take Wierman over anyone. That's just how highly I think of him. McNaney also was very, very below par that day and I expect he'll be a lot better.

I think the differences likely come from the fact Maryland's success in the tournament offensively has been by exploiting defenses who slide and support over-aggressively and too quickly; and that's just not Notre Dame's bag. They will make the Terps win matchups in a way Duke and Virginia didn't, and I'm not sure Maryland will be able to. Denver was able to isolate and attack ND's shorties at times today, and Maryland has gotten a lot better at doing that as of late.

Terps defense has been tremendous in the tournament and I'm sure they'll have adjustments and changes compared to the first game to make sure they're not beat by the Irish midfield in the same way, but that's how tough Notre Dame is to defend

I expect Notre Dame goes on a run at some point of 3-4 goals that Maryland can't and that's the difference. 10-8 or 11-9 type game.

If Wierman can be Wierman again though and McNaney is locked in....it's possible.
I'm here, too.

Kinda like Denver today, the Terps will keep it within striking range. Notre Dame will have a 3 or 4 goal spurt and glide the rest of the way in. Notre Dame is just so deep at their midfield. Wierman winning 60%+ again is the only way to keep that Notre Dame midfield from grinding you down.

Notre Dame is fresher and not as banged up (from what's been reported/whispered).

John Tillman appreciation post. 13 full seasons, 10 Final 4s, and now 8 championship appearances. That's just ungodly. Everyone focuses on the 2 wins and 5 losses in those games, which is fair. But it's crazy he's gotten them back for this 8th one. They're playing with house money, and they all know it.

Definitely Ted Lasso "Believe" happening in that locker room. It's been really, really fun to watch.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Finster wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:12 pm The lack of respect to Coach Tillman, man.

Draftkings has ND by 3.

Faceoff will tell some of the story, but not all (assuming it’s close to 50/50 this time).

I think Maryland could win, but it's still a tall order. Notre Dame is loaded with talent, has experience, has a great FOGO/goalie combination, and maybe the best extra man offense in memory. That's a lot to overcome. Wierman is playing great ball right now but was actually slightly below 50% (12 for 25) against Lynch earlier this season (the teams were exactly 50-50 overall); it's accordingly hard to imagine a big edge in faceoffs as was the case against UVA.

Things that will probably be the same last time:
  • Entenmann will be great;
  • Kavs will be great;
  • ND will be relentless on ground balls;
  • Faceoffs will be relatively even;
  • If Maryland is penalized ND will score (had three EMO goals last game).
Things that could be different:
  • McNaney is playing far better (was well under 50% in save percentage last time);
  • Maryland should clear significantly better (they cleared at 75% against ND before but looked great against UVA's ride today);
  • Maryland team D has rounded into form and is playing extremely well;
  • Maryland made some key changes on offense and is playing far better offensively.
I think the keys for Maryland will be possession (must clear well, must get at least 50% or more on faceoffs); avoiding penalties; and staying within a goal or two of ND the whole game so they can string together some sequences (defensive stop, score on the other end, Wierman win a faceoff) right at the end.
Last edited by The Orfling on Sat May 25, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Terps
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Lot of good thoughts above

My feeling is it's either a 3-4 goal ND win - not a blowout, but they're able to keep the Terps at bay the way they did Duke last year - or it's close, a nailbiter, and Wierman wins some big faceoffs let and the Terps steal it. Don't see a blowout on either end or the Terps winning one by a handful
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:10 pm

Draftkings has ND by 3.

I think Maryland could win, but it's still a tall order. Notre Dame is loaded with talent, has experience, has a great FOGO/goalie combination, and maybe the best extra man offense in memory. That's a lot to overcome. Wierman is playing great ball right now but was actually slightly below 50% (12 for 25) against Lynch earlier this season (the teams were exactly 50-50 overall); it's accordingly hard to imagine a big edge in faceoffs as was the case against UVA.

Things that will probably be the same last time:
  • Entenmann will be great;
  • Kavs will be great;
  • ND will be relentless on ground balls;
  • Faceoffs will be relatively even;
  • If Maryland is penalized ND will score (had three EMO goals last game).
Things that could be different:
  • McNaney is playing far better (was well under 50% in save percentage last time);
  • Maryland should clear significantly better (they cleared at 75% against ND before but looked great against UVA's ride today);
  • Maryland team D has rounded into form and is playing extremely well;
  • Maryland made some key changes on offense and is playing far better offensively.
I think the keys for Maryland will be possession (must clear well, must get at least 50% or more on faceoffs); avoiding penalties; and staying within a goal or two of ND the whole game so they can string together some sequences (defensive stop, score on the other end, Wierman win a faceoff) right at the end.
Colin Hagstrom took a good chunk of those face-offs. Lynch was 12 of 18.
2023 2024
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:21 pm
BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:11 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:58 pm

Let’s go!!!!!!
Kavanaghs combined for 3 goals in March. McClane and Faison by comparison had 6 goals and 11 points. That's what killed the Terps, along with (in part due to the Kav's, but that wasn't anything against Zap) a glut of Maryland turnovers in the clearing game

Notre Dame was the better team that day, has been the best team this season, and likely will be the better team on Monday. But doubt it'll be because the Kavanaghs dominate Zaps and the Terps poles
Why cite other players’ points but only Pat’s goals? His contributions are more than just goals and, that day, he had 3 assists. He even had more CTs than Ajax.

He didn’t disappear.
I never said he disappeared. Those are your words, not mine
My guy. I was responding to Finster, who said that whoever Ajax covers will disappear.

You jumped in the middle. I responded to you, but also reiterated my initial point that, statistically, he didn't cause them to disappear the first time around, so it's far from a sure thing that it will happen Monday.
2023 2024
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Let’s go!!!!!!
Jared is still with team. He can be seen on the sidelines
coda

Post by coda »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:57 pm

Let’s go!!!!!!
Kavanaghs combined for 3 goals in March. McClane and Faison by comparison had 6 goals and 11 points. That's what killed the Terps, along with (in part due to the Kav's, but that wasn't anything against Zap) a glut of Maryland turnovers in the clearing game

Notre Dame was the better team that day, has been the best team this season, and likely will be the better team on Monday. But doubt it'll be because the Kavanaghs dominate Zaps and the Terps poles
Why cite other players’ points but only Pat’s goals? His contributions are more than just goals and, that day, he had 3 assists. He even had more CTs than Ajax.

He didn’t disappear.
My guy. I was responding to Finster, who said that whoever Ajax covers will disappear.

You jumped in the middle. I responded to you, but also reiterated my initial point that, statistically, he didn't cause them to disappear the first time around, so it's far from a sure thing that it will happen Monday.
I think this is over-rated. Ajax can shut down a star, but the other 5 defenders need to do their job for that to happen. To simplify, Maryland dared Duke and UVA’s midfield to beat them. They couldn’t and Maryland was able to get away with minimal sliding and was able to stay with their match-ups. If ND midfield can force slides, they will dictate the match-ups. That will free up Pat from Ajax
Finster

Post by Finster »

AreaLax wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:24 am

Let’s go!!!!!!
Jared is still with team. He can be seen on the sidelines

Thanks. I did not know.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:12 pm

Draftkings has ND by 3.

Championship is a bit different. Tillman doesn’t have a week of practice to prepare. I like ND. I think Maryland struggles to win 1 on 1s offensively. I don’t see ND sliding haphazardly like Virginia and gifting goals. Offensively ND is complete. They can attack Maryland with Dobson and Fiason up top, they don’t rely on the Kavs to get the defense moving

Normally I'd agree, but he had a full game this season to see with his own eyes ND up close and personal. Tillman has been noodling ever since how to play them differently; it's how he is. Not saying MD will win, but there's no chance Tillman didn't game-plan this one a long time back. I doubt he needed more than a post-dinner coaches' meeting last night to lay out tomorrow's strategy.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:26 am
coda wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:12 pm

Draftkings has ND by 3.

Normally I'd agree, but he had a full game this season to see with his own eyes ND up close and personal. Tillman has been noodling ever since how to play them differently; it's how he is. Not saying MD will win, but there's no chance Tillman didn't game-plan this one a long time back. I doubt he needed more than a post-dinner coaches' meeting last night to lay out tomorrow's strategy.
It’s not the ability to come up with a strategy. It’s the ability to fully rep it and install it. That is the difference between a week of practice and having 1 walk through the day before
Finster

Post by Finster »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:57 pm

Let’s go!!!!!!

He didn’t disappear.

1 for 7 on 14% shooting is not Tewaaraton level. Sure, PKav didn't disappear but c'mon, 14% shooting on a day when Mcnaney was vulnerable isn't exactly lighting it up.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The Mcaneny and Weirman just had their worst games narrative is hilarious. Gee, I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact they were playing against the best team in the country.
Finster

Post by Finster »

BigTurn wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:56 am The Mcaneny and Weirman just had their worst games narrative is hilarious. Gee, I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact they were playing against the best team in the country.

It could.

It also could have been an off day...we've all had them.

One can be a random, two a coincidence, but three is definitely a trend. Maryland won't get three chances, just one more crack to dispel the narrative that ND is that much better as a team and these two position players. You'll have your evidence shortly.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Ingredients for a Maryland win:

-Wierman has to get over not just to 50%
-McNaney needs to get to 50%
-Gotta be below 15 TOs
-Turn both Kavanaghs into goal scorers and not distributors (they account for more than 50% of ND's assists)

The first 3 are about possessions.

The last is about getting Notre Dame into a rock fight. My guess is Jesse Bernhardt's defensive game plan will attempt to do just that.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I think only one thing will be certain on Monday … with Wierman and Lynch, no lead will be safe for either team.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”