Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by HopFan16 »

Lax Mouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am https://x.com/tyxanders/status/17940188 ... 10o1w&s=19

Now it's confirmed
Can't really overstate how big this is. Exactly the type of player we want. Great job by the staff to get this (and Monfort) done
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:16 am
Lax Mouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am https://x.com/tyxanders/status/17940188 ... 10o1w&s=19

Now it's confirmed
Can't really overstate how big this is. Exactly the type of player we want. Great job by the staff to get this (and Monfort) done
Solid leadership coming.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:17 am

Now it's confirmed
Solid leadership coming.
Bio says he was the team captain last year. Veteran leadership in the middle of the field. Good.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:23 am

Now it's confirmed
Solid leadership coming.
Bio says he was the team captain last year. Veteran leadership in the middle of the field. Good.
Yes, it was mentioned he was the sole captain (a customary measure) at Yale. Would not be surprised to see him reprise that role at Hopkins.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

It is amazing what a little winning can do. These are some really nice gets from the portal and not the position I expected the program to be in today when we discussed this like two years ago. Wild.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:22 pm It is amazing what a little winning can do. These are some really nice gets from the portal and not the position I expected the program to be in today when we discussed this like two years ago. Wild.
Forgot the ledgend 51's favorite subtopic-roster size.
60 players this year-22 srs grad students=38 returners
+Deans/Bauer/Melendez
+2 yale grad students
+11 freshmen on IL's 2024 site
so 54 down from 60 as of right now before Smith/other transfers in/losses.

Last year I think Chris Wong was the only non sr with remaining eligibility who did not return and they added Steubner/Ierlan/Aviles in the portal and Kilrain as a late flip.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:17 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:22 pm It is amazing what a little winning can do. These are some really nice gets from the portal and not the position I expected the program to be in today when we discussed this like two years ago. Wild.
Forgot the ledgend 51's favorite subtopic-roster size.
60 players this year-22 srs grad students=38 returners
+Deans/Bauer/Melendez
+2 yale grad students
+11 freshmen on IL's 2024 site
so 54 down from 60 as of right now before Smith/other transfers in/losses.

Last year I think Chris Wong was the only non sr with remaining eligibility who did not return and they added Steubner/Ierlan/Aviles in the portal and Kilrain as a late flip.
Kilrain is a flip of the century
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chauvette was the very late flip. Kilrain flipped but on a relatively normal timeline.

Wouldn’t be shocked if they aren’t the last Lawrenceville flips.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:25 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:23 am

Now it's confirmed
Solid leadership coming.
Yes, it was mentioned he was the sole captain (a customary measure) at Yale. Would not be surprised to see him reprise that role at Hopkins.
Very good pickups through the portal so far.

Any word on where Ramsey from Yale might go?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

I'm looking to Milliman to solidify the Faceoff unit through portal or commitment flips. Unless our incoming recruit(s?) are elite at the dot.

There is the transfer from D3 dickinson but ideally they get someone with even more success.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Yes - my dead horse has been roster size and while I still strongly feel there are a myriad of benefits to a smaller/streamlined roster that ship has probably sailed. '06's math looks pretty good this time and he is omitting Smith (in process and likely), the DIII face-off man, conversations/inquiries around Staudt and maybe other goalies and probably others (e.g. are Evans and Arteaga/Cam Chauvette out of the question?) The open issue obviously is will there be any departures.
Again - somewhat tempered by the fact of the lost rising "true" senior class - i.e all things being "normal" - Smith/Melendez/Bauer would probably be done and you are left with less than 10 players and only 1 really plays and he's a face-off man. So adding 3 players in the portal - with the by product of leadership is certainly a benefit. 2025 recruit list has 14 names on it and likely reflects the number of departures so mid 50's appears to be the norm.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am Yes - my dead horse has been roster size and while I still strongly feel there are a myriad of benefits to a smaller/streamlined roster that ship has probably sailed. '06's math looks pretty good this time and he is omitting Smith (in process and likely), the DIII face-off man, conversations/inquiries around Staudt and maybe other goalies and probably others (e.g. are Evans and Arteaga/Cam Chauvette out of the question?) The open issue obviously is will there be any departures.
Again - somewhat tempered by the fact of the lost rising "true" senior class - i.e all things being "normal" - Smith/Melendez/Bauer would probably be done and you are left with less than 10 players and only 1 really plays and he's a face-off man. So adding 3 players in the portal - with the by product of leadership is certainly a benefit. 2025 recruit list has 14 names on it and likely reflects the number of departures so mid 50's appears to be the norm.
Petro used to play funny man games with the fake numbers in the fall ball scrimmages. Given the roster turnover they might need to add names on the front and back of the jerseys so any of us or them know who these kids are.

There was a story about a big ncaa settlement with athletes over compensation the other day. I have not seen any stories on how it impacts d3 schools or the 8 schools like hopkins that are d1 in only 1 sport.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:30 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am Yes - my dead horse has been roster size and while I still strongly feel there are a myriad of benefits to a smaller/streamlined roster that ship has probably sailed. '06's math looks pretty good this time and he is omitting Smith (in process and likely), the DIII face-off man, conversations/inquiries around Staudt and maybe other goalies and probably others (e.g. are Evans and Arteaga/Cam Chauvette out of the question?) The open issue obviously is will there be any departures.
Petro used to play funny man games with the fake numbers in the fall ball scrimmages. Given the roster turnover they might need to add names on the front and back of the jerseys so any of us or them know who these kids are.

There was a story about a big ncaa settlement with athletes over compensation the other day. I have not seen any stories on how it impacts d3 schools or the 8 schools like hopkins that are d1 in only 1 sport.
It impacts all D1 athletes. However, the deal isn't finalized and details may change.

I believe there's a cap on total outlay by school in big conferences like Big 10, but that's certainly quite a wrinkle for Hop's situation.

Hopkins has become one of the more aggressive in use of booster money.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:45 am

It impacts all D1 athletes. However, the deal isn't finalized and details may change.

I believe there's a cap on total outlay by school in big conferences like Big 10, but that's certainly quite a wrinkle for Hop's situation.

Booster money used to directly recruit athletes to come? I've yet to see it in any significant form and I know several players on the team.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:26 am

Booster money used to directly recruit athletes to come? I've yet to see it in any significant form and I know several players on the team.
Not at the scale where one would think it would really matter. But, yes, dough for all and more for some is my understanding. In response to some other programs doing so increasingly. Not sure how public that all is, though.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:10 pm

Not at the scale where one would think it would really matter. But, yes, dough for all and more for some is my understanding. In response to some other programs doing so increasingly. Not sure how public that all is, though.
Hopkins didn’t show Bloomberg around the athletic facilities for nothing.

Johns Hopkins was like … “Thanks for the pavers and the billions for public health and all … the new building for physics was swell!!! Hey … would ya be interested in taking a little tour of Homewood Field? Naming rights available, Mike ….”

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:36 pm

Johns Hopkins was like … “Thanks for the pavers and the billions for public health and all … the new building for physics was swell!!! Hey … would ya be interested in taking a little tour of Homewood Field? Naming rights available, Mike ….”

DocBarrister
The school is becoming unrecognizable to me in good ways and bad. Won't shed a tear when Daniels leaves.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:38 pm

DocBarrister
The school is becoming unrecognizable to me in good ways and bad. Won't shed a tear when Daniels leaves.
:roll:

Daniels is one of the greatest presidents in the history of The Johns Hopkins University. By the time he leaves, maybe only Coit Gilman (who is arguably the greatest university president … of any university … of all time) will be ranked higher.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:47 pm

DocBarrister

Daniels is one of the greatest presidents in the history of The Johns Hopkins University. By the time he leaves, maybe only Coit Gilman (who is arguably the greatest university president … of any university … of all time) will be ranked higher.

Are you being held hostage right now? And has anyone seen Daniels?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:49 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:47 pm

DocBarrister

Are you being held hostage right now? And has anyone seen Daniels?
What is it about President Daniels’ tenure that you do not like?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”