Notre Dame 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
azim21

Re: Notre Dame 2024

Post by azim21 »

cmbtp88 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:22 pm
azim21 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:35 am
cmbtp88 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:16 pm
alecbaldwin wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:06 pm I assume they'll get in based on reputation, but hard to believe UVA has an at-large resume with a loss to ND today. Based on RPI, which I don't think is a great way to evaluate teams, they'd end up with one top ten win against Maryland who got their doors blown off last night and haven't looked competitive against tournament teams (Hopkins/Penn St) recently.
ND is right now clearly the top of the totem pole by more than a little, but question is can they stay there when they start playing other top teams in the tourney
uh have you seen their schedule? They beat Maryland once and UVA twice. So I'd say they have proven they can beat the other top teams remaining in the tourney :lol: Sure both are playing much better now than they were before, but I'd say it's really theirs to lose at this point. Not overlooking Denver, I'm actually quite nervous about that defense they have, but they just haven't played them so there's more question marks with that game than whoever they'd play if they advance. Although Vegas has them as a heavy favorite (-5 last I checked)
No I know they beat everyone. my point was its the tournament now. For example, ND played VA in VA, they beat them, but it was a pretty close game, VA played them tough, but in ACC tourney, VA didn't play them tough, VA was pretty banged up later in the season so I dont think in ACC tourney they left it all out there....I think for ex if they were to meet again, it would look more like the first game than the second...I didn't mean to insinuate ND might not be able to play with the tough teams, they obviously beat all of them...except Denver I guess.....
Absolutely, I think either Maryland or UVA would keep it close and could certainly beat ND despite having already lost to them. Maryland's resurgence on offense might be what they didn't have the first go around. I'd be more worried about them because they have exceptional faceoff and goalie play. I didn't get to see their ACC tourney game, but would not be surprised if UVA being beat up was a factor as to why they didn't play them as well as they could. The first game if not for a bad second half for the Cavs they could've won. As stressful as it'd be, I'd love a championship game similar to the final four between those two last year. Denver will play them tough and physical but if ND can win majority of the faceoffs, which is no guarantee, and if Entenmenn plays better than he has so far in the tourney, it should be hard for Denver to pull off the upset. At least that's my two sense on the opponents left. But it is championship weekend, anything can happen!
lacrosseculturedaily

Post by lacrosseculturedaily »

Check out a preview of tomorrow's game:

https://lacrosseculturedaily.com/2024/0 ... vs-denver/
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Congrats to all the players of the '24 team.

Congrats to Coach Corrigan whose legacy is Cemented.

Congrats to Coach Wellner to putting on a masterful Championship lockdown D

Congrats to Coach Woj. As epic of an offense that was designed. Lots of great players, and lots of balance of scoring. Plus an all-time EMO.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

People talk about the 2022 Maryland team as being a "generational" team; I submit this group from ND the last two years as having surpassed them. You can argue about going undefeated, etc. but you have to give this group it's due - the last two seasons they have been outstanding.

Congrats to the Irish.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Doxology wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:03 pm People talk about the 2022 Maryland team as being a "generational" team; I submit this group from ND the last two years as having surpassed them. You can argue about going undefeated, etc. but you have to give this group it's due - the last two seasons they have been outstanding.

Congrats to the Irish.
Tough for me to admit, but I think that UVA team last year was the better team. Won 2/3 and honestly should’ve had the 3rd game. That said, yes, an incredible run for the program and a joy to watch.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Doxology wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:03 pm People talk about the 2022 Maryland team as being a "generational" team
They are.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Who is not giving Notre Dame their due. Is there this massive group of people diminishing their accomplishments. We don’t have to pretend the first undefeated team a decade and a half wasn’t as good as they were to fight off invisible ND haters
viho

Post by viho »

We’ll look back on these last few years as the “Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa years” of college lacrosse. Most top program rosters were abnormally juiced. MD, VA, DU, ND. All of them.

Is what it is and will follow the last few champions through time.
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

viho wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:33 pm We’ll look back on these last few years as the “Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa years” of college lacrosse. Most top program rosters were abnormally juiced. MD, VA, DU, ND. All of them.

Since we're all abnormally juiced, I will look back on it fondly. Best 2 seasons of my life.
2023 2024
random observer

Post by random observer »

Doxology wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:03 pm People talk about the 2022 Maryland team as being a "generational" team; I submit this group from ND the last two years as having surpassed them. You can argue about going undefeated, etc. but you have to give this group it's due - the last two seasons they have been outstanding.

Congrats to the Irish.
Terrific squad and one of the best of the past decade, but in no way has this team surpassed 2022 Maryland. This team lost at home to Georgetown and was taken to the last minute by a Cornell team that didn't make the tournament. This was also a year where frankly the competition wasn't amazing; every other team had significant flaws relative to the better teams from past seasons. 2022 Maryland blew away almost everyone on their schedule: Cornell and ND were the only two teams to even keep it close, and the Terps led the entire second half of both games. They trailed for 40 minutes the entire season. Truly a team the likes of which we won't see for a while IMO.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

viho wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:33 pm We’ll look back on these last few years as the “Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa years” of college lacrosse. Most top program rosters were abnormally juiced. MD, VA, DU, ND. All of them.

I understand the point you are making, but it falls short. The Covid year didn’t make any individual more talented. It gave them an opportunity to use a year of eligibility they were robbed of. Last I checked, they still had to show up, work out, lift, practice, shoot, go to class, eat right, study, commit, etc. Sosa and McGwire were cheaters who gained an illegal and unfair advantage over their competition and didn’t have to work as hard as others. Having a handful of players use their 5th year fair and square is nothing close to that. Unique situation, yes. Illegal and cheating, no.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:44 pm

I understand the point you are making, but it falls short. The Covid year didn’t make any individual more talented. It gave them an opportunity to use a year of eligibility they were robbed of. Last I checked, they still had to show up, work out, lift, practice, shoot, go to class, eat right, study, commit, etc. Sosa and McGwire were cheaters who gained an illegal and unfair advantage over their competition and didn’t have to work as hard as others. Having a handful of players use their 5th year fair and square is nothing close to that. Unique situation, yes. Illegal and cheating, no.
Everybody including pitchers were juiced then. Not just those two. It was the entire league. Ever heard of Brady Anderson? How about Andy Pettit a softer throwing lefty who was run through Congress?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:07 am

Everybody including pitchers were juiced then. Not just those two. It was the entire league. Ever heard of Brady Anderson? How about Andy Pettit a softer throwing lefty who was run through Congress?
Yes I’ve heard of both of them. I watched Brady send 50 out.

I just don’t get comparing the COVID 5th year to an era of cheaters. But perhaps I am wordsmithing.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:52 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:07 am

Yes I’ve heard of both of them. I watched Brady send 50 out.

I just don’t get comparing the COVID 5th year to an era of cheaters. But perhaps I am wordsmithing.
I don’t get the comparison either but it was a relatively level field some like to point at Sosa and McGuire or bonds but those guys were studies before the juice compared with old palmiero or petite juicing. The difference here I see is Ivies which is of their own making but it doesn’t change the fact that the landscape is radically different because of their position on 5th yrs in this circumstance.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Any guesses as to the starting 10 (transfers aside) at nd next year
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Laxitup21 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:42 pm Any guesses as to the starting 10 (transfers aside) at nd next year
A: Chris kav, Jake Taylor, Will Maheras / Matt Jeffrey

M: Jordan Faison, Will Angrick, Max Busenkell
FO: Will Lynch
LSM: Will Donovan

D: Shawn Lyght, Nate Schwitzenberg, your guess is as good as mine

G: Alex Zepf appeared to be #2 this year. Thomas Ricciardelli was a 5 star and top goalie in ‘22 class.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:06 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:42 pm Any guesses as to the starting 10 (transfers aside) at nd next year

G: Alex Zepf appeared to be #2 this year. Thomas Ricciardelli was a 5 star and top goalie in ‘22 class.
That's still a heck of a line-up! Btw I think Shawn Lyght might be a future Schmeisser winner -- super impressed with him. (Crazy idea here, but I've wondered if ND was going to try to lure Colin Burlace from MD as a transfer when they brought in older brother BJ and younger brother Gavin.)
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The Orfling wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:01 pm

That's still a heck of a line-up! Btw I think Shawn Lyght might be a future Schmeisser winner -- super impressed with him. (Crazy idea here, but I've wondered if ND was going to try to lure Colin Burlace from MD as a transfer when they brought in older brother BJ and younger brother Gavin.)
Unbelievable freshman year for Lyght, and likely the best ever for an ND pole. I could see him vying for the Schmeiss as well. Burlace would be a great addition for sure, had not considered that.

Also notable that Jalen Seymour and Fisher Finley, who both scored in the championship and produced all year from the 3rd line, will likely be second line and potentially pushing for 1st.

Although Nick Harris and Carter Parlette are gone, the team returns AA Ben Ramsay, Christian Alacqua, and Buchner as SSDM’s

Not sure who, but ND will also need to replace Ross Burgmaster, and LSM who split time with Donovan.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:07 pm

Unbelievable freshman year for Lyght, and likely the best ever for an ND pole. I could see him vying for the Schmeiss as well. Burlace would be a great addition for sure, had not considered that.

Also notable that Jalen Seymour and Fisher Finley, who both scored in the championship and produced all year from the 3rd line, will likely be second line and potentially pushing for 1st.

Although Nick Harris and Carter Parlette are gone, the team returns AA Ben Ramsay, Christian Alacqua, and Buchner as SSDM’s

Not sure who, but ND will also need to replace Ross Burgmaster, and LSM who split time with Donovan.
I think ND's strength at ssdm will be an under-the-radar reason they'll be a top contender next year; quite impressed with that group also. If Lynch stays healthy and the new goalie can settle in, I think ND will be formidable even if it takes a couple months of the season for things to gel. The good times should keep rolling along at Arlotta.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The Orfling wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:17 pm
BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:07 pm

I think ND's strength at ssdm will be an under-the-radar reason they'll be a top contender next year; quite impressed with that group also. If Lynch stays healthy and the new goalie can settle in, I think ND will be formidable even if it takes a couple months of the season for things to gel. The good times should keep rolling along at Arlotta.
It goes without saying that Pat and Liam cannot be replaced, but I’m definitely very optimistic. Lynch staying healthy is paramount, but also have great options in Colin Hagstrom and Greenspan. Both performed well in reserve this past year.

Also just remembered that Greg Campisi is coming over from Harvard at LSM.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”