Teams that will suffer important loss of seniors for next season

D1 Womens Lacrosse
uncfan1013

Teams that will suffer important loss of seniors for next season

Post by uncfan1013 »

I wanted to make a thread for the teams that people will either think or will struggle next year to be the program they have been because of the graduation of seniors.

An example could be Northwestern will the loss of Laliberty, Scane and Coykendall.
    uncfan1013

Re: Teams that will suffer important loss of seniors for next season

Post by uncfan1013 »

Another good example is ND. Losing Choma, Wojlak, Ahern, Doherty, Denes, and Callahan will hurt the program for next season
    Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

uncfan1013 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:55 pm
      I wanted to make a thread for the teams that people will either think or will struggle next year to be the program they have been because of the graduation of seniors.

An example could be Northwestern will the loss of Laliberty, Scane and Coykendall.
      Hansen, Amonte, Holmes (?), Halpern (?), Lindsey Frank, Mahoney (?), Gillespie. Not sure how many of these seniors have a COVID year, if any. But NU is going to look very different next year, except for Scott staring at the officials. That will remain.
      ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Northwestern is losing a lot more than that. Of their starters, they're losing:

Scane
        Coykendall
        Amonte
        Frank
        Halpern
        Mahoney
        Gillespie
        Laliberty

Hannah Gillespie, Alia Marshall, Katie Shanley, and (particularly of late) Mary Schumar don't start, but they regularly get playing time, and they won't be back.

Jane Hansen may have another year because I believe she red-shirted a year.

It will be interesting to see who, other than Madison Taylor, will be a threat on offense.
        lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

I think many teams will suffer from all 2019s and before along with 2020s graduating.

Especially Maryland & Notre Dame. Kori Edmonson is their offense next season?
        jff97

Post by jff97 »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:25 pm I think many teams will suffer from all 2019s and before along with 2020s graduating.

Especially Maryland & Notre Dame. Kori Edmonson is their offense next season?
        Edmondson will be Maryland's biggest threat but they do have some other players they've been giving opportunities to who will probably have bigger roles next year. I think Thomas can come back too and she's a decent piece to have. More than half the starting defense could be back, but replacing Sterling in goal won't be easy. That's not to mention Ahearn at the draw and Clevenger and Leubecker offense. Most teams knew they'd have a year with a ton of upperclassmen in the COVID era and Maryland's happened to be this year.
        spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:07 pm

Hansen, Amonte, Holmes (?), Halpern (?), Lindsey Frank, Mahoney (?), Gillespie. Not sure how many of these seniors have a COVID year, if any. But NU is going to look very different next year, except for Scott staring at the officials. That will remain.
          No more Covid years...this was the last year for Covid eligibility (for D1 at least...).
          Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

spidey44 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:36 am
          Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:07 pm

No more Covid years...this was the last year for Covid eligibility (for D1 at least...).
            Gotcha; thanks Spiderman. So NU and Maryland will be hammered by graduation. Penn State, I think, will also graduate O'Neill and Abernathy and some others. Might then be interesting -- for B1G watchers -- to look at the opposite: which team(s) has (have) players coming back in force?
            whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

uncfan1013 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:59 pm Another good example is ND. Losing Choma, Wojlak, Ahern, Doherty, Denes, and Callahan will hurt the program for next season
            ND losing Callahan will not hurt them too much, she was average at best.
            Stony Brook is another team that will lose 7 of their top goal scrorer's.
            laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

The top programs will be looking hard at the transfer portal. Just so many high level players leaving the sport. It's basically the 2020 and 2019 high school graduates leaving in 1 year. A large % of the high level 2019's used that extra year as well as a few top 2018's. It all added up to a big number of women that played a ton of minutes this year. IF UNC could use a couple defenders, every top 30 team is looking to fill some holes.
            spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:47 am
            Gotcha; thanks Spiderman. So NU and Maryland will be hammered by graduation. Penn State, I think, will also graduate O'Neill and Abernathy and some others. Might then be interesting -- for B1G watchers -- to look at the opposite: which team(s) has (have) players coming back in force?
            I haven't looked too closely, but didn't UVA have a youth movement this year?
            spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

spidey44 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:05 am
            Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:47 am
            I haven't looked too closely, but didn't UVA have a youth movement this year?
            Just checked... UVA loses 4 of top 8 scorers, but 3 of the top 8 are freshmen... They'll need some others to step up, or hit the portal too...
            hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxdadpat wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 am The top programs will be looking hard at the transfer portal. Just so many high level players leaving the sport. It's basically the 2020 and 2019 high school graduates leaving in 1 year. A large % of the high level 2019's used that extra year as well as a few top 2018's. It all added up to a big number of women that played a ton of minutes this year. IF UNC could use a couple defenders, every top 30 team is looking to fill some holes.
            The portal isn't going to be what it's been the last few years though. With the Covid years over for the most part, other than players looking for a change of scenery, most the proven transfers this offseason will be from the Ivies. One of Penn's top players is going to NU next year. Now how that happened over a month ago prior to the portal opening is another question, but we all know there's tampering.

A lot of the transfers that will be available are players that committed to top 10-20 programs that aren't seeing the field. Those are lottery tickets in a lot of cases because you just don't know what you're getting. There will always be a few Rachel Clark and Emma LoPinto kind of players that have a specific reason for transferring but I don't think we'll see as many impact transfers as we've seen the last few years.
            Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

Yale will be solid. Final four this year or likely next as the 25 yr olds leave all the other programs.
            WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

hmmm wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:26 am
            laxdadpat wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 am The top programs will be looking hard at the transfer portal. Just so many high level players leaving the sport. It's basically the 2020 and 2019 high school graduates leaving in 1 year. A large % of the high level 2019's used that extra year as well as a few top 2018's. It all added up to a big number of women that played a ton of minutes this year. IF UNC could use a couple defenders, every top 30 team is looking to fill some holes.
            The portal isn't going to be what it's been the last few years though. With the Covid years over for the most part, other than players looking for a change of scenery, most the proven transfers this offseason will be from the Ivies. One of Penn's top players is going to NU next year. Now how that happened over a month ago prior to the portal opening is another question, but we all know there's tampering.

A lot of the transfers that will be available are players that committed to top 10-20 programs that aren't seeing the field. Those are lottery tickets in a lot of cases because you just don't know what you're getting. There will always be a few Rachel Clark and Emma LoPinto kind of players that have a specific reason for transferring but I don't think we'll see as many impact transfers as we've seen the last few years.
            It's not tampering if it is done through a club coach, which is what is happening for many of these transfers.
            hmmm

Post by hmmm »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:06 pm
            hmmm wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:26 am

It's not tampering if it is done through a club coach, which is what is happening for many of these transfers.
            Ha. Yeah, that's not allowed. I'm fully aware that's what's done. The rule specifically states that there cannot be any contact with another coach, either directly or indirectly, prior to the athlete entering the transfer portal.
            Hello

Post by Hello »

Yes Yale only loses one starter for next year and won't be going to the portal. Penn could be a different story.
            ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Looks to me like the level of lacrosse in general will be dropping off and just about every top program will be taking a big hit. If UNC can stay healthy I think it will be theirs for the taking. As far as the UVA youth movement they lose their 2 best defenders who never came off the field along with their 2 best attack players , and 2 starting middies ,one of which was second on the team in goals. I may be wrong but it seems they may have played so many freshmen more because the sophmore/junior classes contributed little also heard there was some definite favoritism shown to the freshman class by the coaching staff. That said if some of the current sophomore and juniors can fill those spaces and a few of next years freshmen step up ,who knows .
            jff97

Post by jff97 »

ACClaxfan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:02 pm Looks to me like the level of lacrosse in general will be dropping off and just about every top program will be taking a big hit. If UNC can stay healthy I think it will be theirs for the taking. As far as the UVA youth movement they lose their 2 best defenders who never came off the field along with their 2 best attack players , and 2 starting middies ,one of which was second on the team in goals. I may be wrong but it seems they may have played so many freshmen more because the sophmore/junior classes contributed little also heard there was some definite favoritism shown to the freshman class by the coaching staff. That said if some of the current sophomore and juniors can fill those spaces and a few of next years freshmen step up ,who knows .
            UNC will have plenty of offensive talent, but they still have a ton of questions on defense and goalie. Need to figure that out before they can start talking about being a true championship contender.
            Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

BC: I think the Eagles lose: A. Hasselback, B. Smith, Cassidy Weeks, A. Reynolds, Ryan Smith, B. Browndorf, L. O'Neill, Martello, Roman and Scales. It seems like BC has featured a Weeks kid for the last 10 years. A lot of losses in the defense.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”