NCAA Tournament Games Scheduling Disgrace

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: NCAA Tournament Games Scheduling Disgrace

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

spidey44 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:28 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:03 pm
saltylaxer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:57 pm How you personally schedule your time to watch women’s lacrosse is entirely irrelevant.

I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv.

There is no way to justify Thursday being as good of a game day as a Saturday Sunday or even Friday. it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games right ?

saltylaxer, stop, stop, stop!!! You are throwing too many jabs and landing the punches. You then give a hard bodyshot with, "I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv." Then you deliver the KO punch with, "If it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games, right?" Mouthpiece flying and the body dropping. "DOWN GOES ONW!"
All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with taking a day off from work/school to attend an important event.
Sure, I can take off work at noon on Thursday to head to the Terps game, but my daughters can't because they are in the middle of finals, practice, etc. It would be fantastic to be able to take them to watch the tourney, but alas, I can't.
I hear you. There are always individual scheduling issues. Ultimately--I'm not arguing for Thursday quarterfinals. I'd be fine if the day was Saturday or Sunday. For whatever reason, the Muckety-mucks decided the four exclusive time slots would work best on a Thursday. My main point is--I make do, as could others if they really wanted to attend a single quarterfinal game. All a matter of priorities. As a concession, the televised replay can be recorded and watched later.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:39 am
I hear you. There are always individual scheduling issues. Ultimately--I'm not arguing for Thursday quarterfinals. I'd be fine if the day was Saturday or Sunday. For whatever reason, the Muckety-mucks decided the four exclusive time slots would work best on a Thursday. My main point is--I make do, as could others if they really wanted to attend a single quarterfinal game. All a matter of priorities. As a concession, the televised replay can be recorded and watched later.
AT LEAST they spread the games out this round...
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:08 am
AT LEAST they spread the games out this round...
Exactly! Definitely something to be grateful for. It was only a couple few years ago that all the quarterfinal games started at either noon or 1 PM. Insane to reflect on in retrospect.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

College finals are done by this week. This is arguably the best set of 4 games in women's lacrosse every year. It should be "must see TV" for high school girls! I can live with Thursday, but don't like it. Make all the games start later, some overlap is acceptable. Noon for MD vs FL?? Both teams are from lacrosse hotbeds that has huge interest, terrible planning! Make it start at 4pm so it can be seen by high schoolers after practice. BC vs Yale can start at 5:30. Cuse vs Yale in the Dome at 7:30. NU vs Penn 9 pm east, but 8pm local and 6pm west. This Thursday could be the best night of women lacrosse all year with very good ratings!! What better way to grow the sport than stack 4 amazing matchups when everyone can sit in front of a TV or other devise to watch the games on the second best tv night of the week.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

laxdadpat wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:27 am College finals are done by this week. This is arguably the best set of 4 games in women's lacrosse every year. It should be "must see TV" for high school girls! I can live with Thursday, but don't like it. Make all the games start later, some overlap is acceptable. Noon for MD vs FL?? Both teams are from lacrosse hotbeds that has huge interest, terrible planning! Make it start at 4pm so it can be seen by high schoolers after practice. BC vs Yale can start at 5:30. Cuse vs Yale in the Dome at 7:30. NU vs Penn 9 pm east, but 8pm local and 6pm west. This Thursday could be the best night of women lacrosse all year with very good ratings!! What better way to grow the sport than stack 4 amazing matchups when everyone can sit in front of a TV or other devise to watch the games on the second best tv night of the week.
Nailed it...that would be ideal for sure!
25and32LaxDad

Post by 25and32LaxDad »

spidey44 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 am
laxdadpat wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:27 am College finals are done by this week. This is arguably the best set of 4 games in women's lacrosse every year. It should be "must see TV" for high school girls! I can live with Thursday, but don't like it. Make all the games start later, some overlap is acceptable. Noon for MD vs FL?? Both teams are from lacrosse hotbeds that has huge interest, terrible planning! Make it start at 4pm so it can be seen by high schoolers after practice. BC vs Yale can start at 5:30. Cuse vs Yale in the Dome at 7:30. NU vs Penn 9 pm east, but 8pm local and 6pm west. This Thursday could be the best night of women lacrosse all year with very good ratings!! What better way to grow the sport than stack 4 amazing matchups when everyone can sit in front of a TV or other devise to watch the games on the second best tv night of the week.
Every high schooler in MST and PST will miss both of the first two games and most of the third. Anyone still in season and playoffs misses all of them.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

25and32LaxDad wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:59 am
Every high schooler in MST and PST will miss both of the first two games and most of the third. Anyone still in season and playoffs misses all of them.
Truth. I don't get why you're not playing on Saturday or Sunday if we're being honest here. No excuse really.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

25and32LaxDad wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:59 am
Personally I agree with you and game times should be better.

Replays of games will be available to stream on ESPN after? I wonder sometimes if the current young generation prefers that? Able to fast forward through commercials and through the post goal/draw setup. Just watch game in like 75 minutes versus 2.5 hours of live time?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, they're all available on ESPN replay.
25and32LaxDad

Post by 25and32LaxDad »

Yeah luckily all of them are on ESPN/ESPN+ for replay but girls watching real time vs finding out the outcome on your phone is a very different experience. Hopefully in the future they take this into consideration. Womens all day Saturday and Mens Sunday would have been money.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I wouldn't bank on the full game replay's being available on ESPN+ or any other streaming service/app for that matter. These are nationally televised games broadcast on ESPNU. If you want to be certain sure about being able to watch the replay's you should record/DVR the games. This has been a public service announcement.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bank on it, they'll be on replay.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:42 am Bank on it, they'll be on replay.
Yep. All of the regular season games have been available for replay.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Yiz may be right--but my Pap always taught me "Better safe than sorry." We'll find out soon enough...
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

saltylaxer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:57 pm How you personally schedule your time to watch women’s lacrosse is entirely irrelevant.

I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv.

There is no way to justify Thursday being as good of a game day as a Saturday Sunday or even Friday. it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games right ?

saltylaxer, stop, stop, stop!!! You are throwing too many jabs and landing the punches. You then give a hard bodyshot with, "I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv." Then you deliver the KO punch with, "If it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games, right?" Mouthpiece flying and the body dropping. "DOWN GOES ONW!"
All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with taking a day off from work/school to attend an important event.
Sure, I can take off work at noon on Thursday to head to the Terps game, but my daughters can't because they are in the middle of finals, practice, etc. It would be fantastic to be able to take them to watch the tourney, but alas, I can't.
Again, it's the only day that works where the games can each have their own window from a TV perspective.

Joe
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:02 pm

Again, it's the only day that works where the games can each have their own window from a TV perspective.

Joe
How so? The guys play 4 games each on Saturday and Sunday for the first round. Why not play 2 guys games and 2 women's games on Sat and Sunday this weekend? Or play all 4 women's games on Saturday and all 4 men's games on Sunday since the women's championship weekend starts a day earlier and that way both guys and women are on equal rest going into championship weekend?

I know softball takes over some of the ESPN airspace, but ESPN News is broadcasting things like the 2021 Air Guitar Championship, Disc Golf, Marble Championships, Foosball, etc. I'm guessing it's ESPN the Ocho weekend or something.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

hmmm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:22 pm

Joe
How so? The guys play 4 games each on Saturday and Sunday for the first round. Why not play 2 guys games and 2 women's games on Sat and Sunday this weekend? Or play all 4 women's games on Saturday and all 4 men's games on Sunday since the women's championship weekend starts a day earlier and that way both guys and women are on equal rest going into championship weekend?

I know softball takes over some of the ESPN airspace, but ESPN News is broadcasting things like the 2021 Air Guitar Championship, Disc Golf, Marble Championships, Foosball, etc. I'm guessing it's ESPN the Ocho weekend or something.
For them to be on ESPNU. ESPNU is not going to air these games on Saturday and Sunday over Women's College Softball and College Baseball. And I love the sport. This is the day that they have to play on in order to have this kind of spotlight. Lots of prominent players and voices spoke up 2-3 years ago about this specifically requesting this setup. It won't revert back unless that kind of pushback happens again, I don't see that happening.

They are not going to air on ESPN, ESPN NEWS or ESPN2.

The Championship is on ESPN, but that's it. It would be great, but it's not going to happen. College Softball and Baseball does 5-10X the ratings and their tournament begins this weekend. This is what we have to accept, unfortunately.

Joe
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 pm
hmmm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:22 pm

Joe

For them to be on ESPNU. ESPNU is not going to air these games on Saturday and Sunday over Women's College Softball and College Baseball. And I love the sport. This is the day that they have to play on in order to have this kind of spotlight. Lots of prominent players and voices spoke up 2-3 years ago about this specifically requesting this setup. It won't revert back unless that kind of pushback happens again, I don't see that happening.

They are not going to air on ESPN, ESPN NEWS or ESPN2.

The Championship is on ESPN, but that's it. It would be great, but it's not going to happen. College Softball and Baseball does 5-10X the ratings and their tournament begins this weekend. This is what we have to accept, unfortunately.

Joe
Why wouldn't they put them on ESPN News? You telling me arm wrestling and foosball will draw more viewers than wlax? If so, that sums things up pretty well. I'd think they'd get more eyeballs on a Saturday/Sunday on ESPN News than starting at noon on a Thursday. Maybe not as many carriers have ESPN News. Idk. Seems like they aren't maximizing their available programming.
saltylaxer

Post by saltylaxer »

Unfortunately we wont be able to grow viewership/ratings with these TV slots either. If its not at a time slot where the fanbase can watch, then it might as well not be aired, and let the girls play for a weekend crowd instead. I cant imagine there will be much interest in Replay for championship games. It wont get the ratings and it will just justify next year's slight.

You'd think in a year where womens sports is booming, and womens lacrosse twice a big as mens (by teams), there would be some efforts to to make viewership just LESS impossible.

for all the 'increase' in broadcasting, it took multiple subcriptions to watch this years games, and nevermind the abysmal camera work/quality of broadcasting. some I would just turn off in frustration (thinking ivy network here in particular.) My local bar tries to play the games when they can but often times its inaccessible or behind a paywall.

On top of this, and the syracuse tent locker room situation, NCAA mixed up the logos for penn and penn state on the championship website today. Not alot of attention on wlax from NCAA this week...Maybe theyre all watching softball.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C69Zb14x-jx/
OuttaNowhereWregget

Youse guys was right. Quarterfinals nationally televised and streaming.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”